Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Greasefang, Okiba Boss
Legendary Creature — Rat Pilot
At the beginning of combat on your turn, return target Vehicle card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Return it to its owner's hand at the beginning of your next end step.
2 months ago
I have a few observations:
1) Your curve is too high. Too many hands have nothing to do on turn 1 & turn 2. Against midrange decks like Rakdos Midrange they’ll likely have Bloodtithe Harvester in play with Fatal Push ready to kill your three drop (they sack a blood token to trigger Revolt). Unless you open an Intrepid Outlander you’ll be defenseless until turn 4 or 5. You should diversify your curve with more 1 and 2 drops to smooth out your plays. While it’s not directly dungeon related I think Mosswood Dreadknight would be a great 2-drop.
2) You don’t have enough interaction. A combo deck like Greasefang, Okiba Boss can combo on turn 3 before you have a chance to remove her with Murderous Rider. If you remove her vehicle with You Find a Cursed Idol but don’t kill her she’ll just combo again the next turn. There’s a lot of great removal options in G/B like Abrupt Decay or Assassin's Trophy that handle tons of different matchups.
3) You don’t have a good plan for over-the-too value decks. The dungeon plan takes time to grind (not a bad thing), but your need to give yourself the time to grind. If you play against a deck with something like Bring to Light or Enigmatic Incarnation you might get completely ran over by Omnath, Locus of Creation or The Scarab God. You can fight back against these decks with unconditional removal like Go for the Throat and discard spells like Duress and Liliana of the Veil.
4) You need some more card draw. If you’re lowering your curve you should expect to play longer games & can pull ahead of opponents with card draw engines. Castle Locthwain pulls you ahead of your opponents in long games. Hive of the Eye Tyrant gives you an option to win the Dungeon back from an opponent when you’re out of creatures & closes long games against control decks. Field of Ruin is great for midrange mirror matches bc it blows up your opponent’s castles.
Dungeons can be a hard mechanic to work with but it rewards you for playing long games & slowing your opponent down. If you run a solid midrange deck with Dungeon cards to break parity and pull you ahead you’ll have a solid game plan.
3 months ago
This deck looks really cool! I really love how incredibly affordable your deck is. For a few more dollars you can add amazing improvements that will significantly improve your deck's power. There's two cards, however, that are a must:
First, Sunforger will cast ANY instant you run, allowing answers straight from your deck AND enables Vial Smasher the Fierce if used outside your turn. Path of Mettle Flip is a decent repellant, but only if you flip it. More likely it will be an inconsistent killer or chip damage, which will only antagonize your foes, and worse it doesn't synergize with either Partner. Sunforger also makes Akiri and Jor kadeen happy, and its versatility will serve you more accurately.
I recommend these replacements, which give big improvements:
- Mercadian Bazaar and Subterranean Hangar perform better than Dwarven Hold and Bottomless Vault, and are cheaper to boot!
- Terramorphic Expanse for 1 plains: better mana fixing means less mulligans. You only have 1 card that casts for W (Skullclamp), which makes Terra Expanse's versatility a superior pick.
- Clifftop Retreat for Battlefield Forge: you have nothing that requires glass.
- Isolated Chapel instead of Caves of Koilos: same as above.
- Molten Slagheap instead of Icatian Store: you still have enough plains.
- Conspiracy Theorist repaces Underworld Rage-Hound: Theorist give its 2nd option to most discard you make, can be buffed by Olivia, is cheaper to enable & is more durable than the Hound.
- Demonic Collusion or Increasing Ambition instead of Diabolic Tutor: the first synergizes with your discard theme & the second one gives more searches in a more flexible mana cost.
- Phyrexian Arena instead of Dark Tutelage. Unless your pod runs only wheel decks, Arena is far superior.
- Greasefang, Okiba Boss replaces Pyre Zombie (not enough synergy, too expensive*).
*First of all, Sun Titan and Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle will almost always better targets to reanimate. Second, compare Pyre Zombie to Torment of Hailfire: For 7BB (the cost of return/cast/sac), you'd get 7 instances of "Each opponent loses 3 life unless that player sacrifices a nonland permanent or discards a card". While Hailfire is a prohibitively expensive card, it still highlights how inefficient Pyre Zombie is without your reanimators. Considering the # of vehicles you run, Greasefang is much better.
4 months ago
Brefin, the specific check isn't reminder text, but rather, a colon, since that marks the end of an activated ability cost.
4 months ago
In case the hyperlink does not show, https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/262880/magic-kamigawa-neon-dynasty-greasefang-okiba-boss-showcase?xid=pid8d6a173-bcd3-458f-881d-89a9ec2b8e9f&Language=English&page=1
10 months ago
Hey, +1 for the deck name! I really like the concept of using Vehicles to crew each other to help to pay for Urza's artifact creature affinity. One creature who can crew a single Vehicle can create a chain that essentially bypasses having to pay for Urza's Commander tax.
You have 10 playable Vehicles here, that's not many if you want a Vehicle strategy. Consider more Vehicles and interactions with Vehicles?
Imposter Mech and Weatherlight are more Vehicles with good effects. Weatherlight can repeatedly look at the top five cards of your library and put any one artifact or legendary card into your hand. The better creatures here who have Vehicle interactions are legendary and Artifact lands are historic. Imposter can become any creature an opponent controls, but it's still an artifact/Vehicle. That's really good with Master Transmuter, who can change what creature Imposer becomes.
Another reason to add more Vehicles is Greasefang, Okiba Boss, Esper, Vehicles and Greasefang go together nicely. Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh is an underrated Planeswalker with Vehicles and Greasefang, in fact all of his abilities are good here especially -6 emblem with crew. A Vehicle crew chain can draw a ton of cards if you have his emblem.
Crew is an activated ability thus if it's the first artifact activated ability you use on a player's turn it's 2 less to crew. His +1 is Thirst for Knowledge, draw and discard before combat for Greasefang. -2 effect doesn't end until that Vehicle leaves the battlefield which can really turn any noncreature artifact you control into a 4/4 Vehicle.
Research Thief and Bident of Thassa are consistent repeatable draw effects because of Constructs as well as with Vehicles who will most likely have just as easy time then a Construct at doing combat damage to a player. Losheel, Clockwork Scholar is nice with Constructs for combat damage + repeatable draw.
- Ornithopter of Paradise, Fellwar Stone
- Liquimetal Torque
- Sculpting Steel
- Aerial Surveyor
- Cranial Plating
Only seven ramp sources is low amount, consider more ramp? Ornithopter of Paradise without help is not a crewer, but it's good ramp for Urza which is just as important. Liquimetal Torque, if it's not making mana it can make Urza an artifact giving him menace to have an easier time attacking and doing Commander damage. Sculpting Steel can be a mana rock or any other artifact on the battlefield. It's another Metamorph effect which is excellent in multiplayer Commander. Aerial Surveyor is a Vehicle for ramp, but it can only get basic Plains which is still fine.
Cranial Plating is powerful with artifacts and it can be used with 0 power artifacts to make them crewers or attackers.
Good luck with your deck.
10 months ago
lcarl3035 Thanks for suggestion, but the Mechtitan Core used to be a part of this deck. I recently replaced it with Reaver Titan. Similar outcome, but I don’t need to meet extra requirements to summon it. Additionally, Mechtitan Core is being exiled when the token dies, so I cannot resurrect it back with Greasefang, Okiba Boss
11 months ago
That seems weird if only because Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar technically doesn't have a 'cost' cost and only an ability that costs or and yet she ends up in the gold color identity column and not over with poor accidentally uncolored Greasefang and the Hope of Ghirapur. I guess she has the little pip next to her types. I mean I can see that you might not be using these cards in a format that doesn't rely on color identity, but they still have it and a lot of people use it for deck construction.
I guess if I were to make a suggestion for functional options maybe adding a color identity button would be good.
Oh and couldn't find Jorn, God of Winter Flip or Svella, Ice Shaper just looking for 3 mana legendary green creatures, unless I add in 'legendary snow creatures' which makes it feel like I'm expected to know snow creatures before actually looking for them.
Anyhow you caught me in the middle of typing up the following when I noticed the quick reply:
I have a slightly more complete list of cards that don't seem to have the appropriate color identity at least as far as searching them out and organizing them on my side goes. I was looking for a list of all the possible Tiny Leaders a person could use (so legendary 3 mana value or less creature cards that could serve as a commander in a game that uses commanders) and these are the cards I could not find if I searched by color identity or if once I found them they didn't fit their color identity (in all cases they show up under a single color category instead of 'gold'). There are probably several other cards that have this issue that exist outside my search parameters.
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death appears under cards even though it is
- Greasefang, Okiba Boss appears under cards even though it is
- Jorn, God of Winter Flip appears under cards even though by rights the card as a whole should be counted as because of its backside being Kaldring, the Rimestaff Flip
- Ken, Burning Brawler appears under cards even though it is
- Plargg, Dean of Chaos Flip appears under cards even though by rights the card as a whole should be counted as because of its backside being Augusta, Dean of Order Flip
- Ryu, World Warrior appears under cards even though it is
- Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest appears under cards even though it is
- Tatsunari, Toad Rider appears under cards even though it is
- Yasova Dragonclaw appears under cards even though it is
11 months ago
Greasefang, Okiba Boss is missing her color identity. She shows up as 'Colorless'.
Also, Alesha, Who Smiles at Death, Yasova Dragonclaw, Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest all show up in mono-color searches, but not when for instance you search for 3 mana Mardu color cards in Alesha's case.