Confusion in the Ranks
Whenever an artifact, creature, or enchantment enters the battlefield, its controller chooses target permanent another player controls that shares a type with it. Exchange control of those permanents.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Confusion in the Ranks Discussion
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
1 month ago
Hey, nice start on a budget. Chaos can be a tricky theme to build.
The avg. CMC of your deck is very high at 4.3 with only Sol Ring as reliable ramp and only having 35 lands. This 4.3 number means you will consistently not be casting a card until earliest turn four, more like turn five. Not doing anything for the first four turns or more is not fun in Commander because you risk basically not having any board presence at all before turn five. My advice is add some ramp in place of a few high CMC cards (5 CMC or higher). Doing this will reduce the avg. CMC and ramp will make it easier to cast spells especially Showstopper.
Some cards for ramp to consider adding:
For the cards to consider cutting you want to make a choice of what are the best cards you want at the high end of the mana curve? Having lots of both high CMC Chaos cards and big creatures is too many high CMC cards. Showstopper is the six drop creature you want to cast. Cards to consider cutting to add more ramp:
- Capital Punishment
- Creepy Doll, Stuffy Doll
- Reiver Demon, Indulgent Tormentor
- Demon of Dark Schemes, Lord of the Void
Reanimation is a good secondary strategy when playing so many high CMC creatures. Reanimation needs enablers to get creatures into graveyard which is good with Patriarch's Bidding and Demons. Consider expanding on reanimation? Another reason to add enablers for reanimation is Anger. A haste enabler to give your high CMC creatures haste, attacking with them the turn you play them especially Showshopper.
Some card changes to consider:
- Sin Prodder > Mogg Assassin
- Stormfist Crusader > Murder
- Chaos Wand > Volatile Rig
- Confusion in the Ranks > Risky Move
- Stolen Strategy > Captive Audience
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Fiery Emancipation > Other damage doubler. Costs more but non symmetrical and does a lot more damage.
Buried Ruin - Recur 1/5th of your deck
Inventors' Fair - Tutor, lifegain
Myriad Landscape - While a bit slow, ramp is needed in red, worth considering
Strip Mine - Interaction on cradle, coffers, field, etc...
Blast Zone - Interaction on enchantments and others
Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics. Attack them with Norin, then Norin runs away and comes back with treasure :D
Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage - "Draw" which you can use until your next turn, really good with Top as you can look at your top 3 or more importantly, use top to draw a card and then you know you can cast top easily.
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Ramp, draw, removal and a wincon all in 1
Endless Atlas - Draw
Honor-Worn Shaku - Ramp with Norin, purphorous, chandra, etc...
Skullclamp - Draw
Lmk what you think of each suggestion and if you want ideas for cuts :)
2 months ago
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up! It is super helpful.
After further consideration and hearing what you say I think you are right about Hedron Archive, with a few other mana rocks we could get it in play a lot earlier too.
Oh wow I totally missed that Ignite the Future and Light Up the Stage said until the end of your next turn! That changes a lot. Will be picking them up for sure then, especially with them being quite lite on the wallet.
Some of my thoughts of the cuts.
Impending Disaster does serve my game plan a bit. I would put down a few enchantments/creatures that does damage as Norin blinks then remove all the lands to win me a few rounds of free damage. But it definitely makes people hate you and is worth cutting for just that reason.
Molten Vortex, agree it should go.
Pandemonium, agree it should go. What tends to happen is that I get a few bounces with Norin in but then someone else drops a bomb or 10 tokens.
Shifting Shadow, yeah I only use this one if I know what my opponents deck is capable of. But a lot of times it is too scary to use or it's a "I kill this thing I lose" but I can probably find something else to do that.
Task Mage Assembly, oh yeah I forgot I was supposed to cut this when I got got hold of a Pyrohemia.
Vicious Shadows, agree definitely too slow. I have never used it...
Forgotten Cave, well with as many lands as I used to have being able to cycle one is kind of nice xD
Springjack Pasture, Agree it's so bad, have no excuse/game plan for this one.
Squee, the Immortal In a perfect world he is "2RR Draw a Card and Deal 1-13 Damage to Any Target." with a repeat button, but that's so slow and at that point I am probably already dead. But tbh the main reason he is in the deck is because he looks so silly. :|
Workshop Assistant, yeah you are right
Crystal Chimes, maybe not enough. But they are kind of my game plan :|
Lotus Bloom, more often I would use it to be able to get of a surprise spell or being able to drop two things on one turn. But I do have other decks that it could do a lot of more work in.
Storm Cauldron, never actually gotten this one out (nor had it my hands) so not sure how it would pan out but I bet you are correct.
Both Uba Mask and Teferi's Puzzle Box are there to make people not be able to assemble their combos. Would be up to change them out but my meta is quite combo focused so would be nice with something to make people not being able to assemble them as easy.
Indomitable Creativity, yeah this is mainly for "funzies" used on myself it can be "okay" used on others it's either I lost or I delayed them winning a few turns. Neither really makes me win faster.
I will definitely use this as a base for when I start adding some of the recommendations you mentioned in your previous post. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write it out.
Please let me know if you ever have some ideas or if you find a new card in your deck that you really like.
2 months ago
Thank you so much for your comment Profet93! Super helpful :)
Your first point about lowering land counts and dropping Molten Vortex for a few draw engine sounds like a superb idea!
A lot of cool sugestions will give you my thoughts about them!
- Endless Atlas A great one, that I even have a copy of, I see no reason not to add it :)
- Hedron Archive Not sure sure about this one, it seems a bit expensive at 4 mana. It looks like it would be more used as ramp than draw no?
- Humble Defector This sounds like a fun one! Can even steal it back with Confusion in the Ranks even without Homeward Path (which have some anti-synergy with Confusion). Will definitely pick it up.
- Ignite the Future/Light Up the Stage are very interesting cards, but I would be afraid not to be able to cast what ever I exile or for it to be lands, would need access to at least 8 mana to be able to cast it, feels a bit too slow. Not super sold on these two :)
- Mind's Eye Expensive as you say but will be worth it if the game will drag on, will be looking to picking this one up together with the Honor-Worn Shaku
- Solemn Simulacrum have a few of these laying around, not sure why I never put one it. Will do it until I find something to replace it with. :)
- Wheel of Fortune/Wheel of Fate/Reforge the Soul/Magus of the Wheel, of Fortune is not within my price range, it is almost as much as the rest of the deck combined. I might pick the Magus of the Wheel however as a cheap alternative.
- Curse of Opulence Such a evil card! A lot of my group either play decks that benefit a lot from ramp or who need a lot of mana. So I fear this would help them more than me, I will definitely put it on my list to pick it up if I see one cheap though. Cause I do want to try it.
- Dockside Extortionist Strong card! But unfortunately a bit to expensive, will put it on my "buy on a bargain" list though!
- Mind Stone will put in this one, like it more than the Hedron Archive as you can drop it a lot faster.
- Ruby Medallion Neat, will be looking to picking one up
- Sword of the Animist That's true! It basically reads "Pay 2, Put a land from your library into the battlefield tapped", will be looking to adding this one too for sure!
- Tough one, $15 is about what I am prepared to put down on a single card, if it isn't a win con or simply a "must have", I wouldn't say this is either but it is strong and versatile so will probably pick it up if I can.
- Etali, Primal Storm Aww, I just bought this guy for my Xenagos' Dudes goes Face deck where he can get instant value, maybe I should have picked up two of them. My fear here is that it's can be a bit too slow to have to wait another turn to be able to attack with it.
- Sunbird's Invocation Insane card. At the point I can put this down the game is either over or would be over in a few turns. Most of the cards in the deck needs a few turns to actually do something so even though this card is insane it might be too late?
- Sensei's Divining Top Love this card so much, but unfortunately a bit too expensive. It's on the "Get it on a bargain" list :)
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle It's also a bit too much to put on a card that is only going to ping for 3. If I had a few more ways to put out lands each turn it could be worth the 20$
- Chain Reaction Good idea, will replace it when I find one
- Nevinyrral's Disk Will be looking to pick one up!
- Blast Zone Looks to be a bit slow? Will pick one up anyhow and test run it
- Terror of the Peaks Yeah, wanted this in Norin as soon as I saw it. It have been dropping in price in my local market so will be looking to picking a couple up for my decks soon.
Again thank you so much for your comment, it have been super helpful.
I am super interested in hearing your thoughts about cuts to the deck. Like what you think is too weak or doesn't fit. :)
5 months ago
Shimmer, Teferi's Isle, Equipoise, Time and Tide, Scrambleverse, Confusion in the Ranks, Sylvan Library, Thieves' Auction, https://yt3.ggpht.com/a/AATXAJzbKIoU6uN0EYYcLId8_a2NLVlMN69LeDjeKA=s900-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo