|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Faerie Rogue
When Pestermite enters the battlefield, you may tap or untap target permanent.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||ironax , Mousemke , pskinn01 , rockleemyhero , ibraJG84 , fireborne1986 , tlhunter07 , NOGzFTW , maR2307 , TehDelta , Unlife , darthnuchi|
6 days ago
I'm building an Ertai deck as well that follows these considerations:
I want to counter stuff, and I want to counter it with Ertai
If Ertai can't counter stuff, that's probably because I've got nothing to sacrifice. I still want to counter, but I need sac fodder, too. That's why I run otherwise quite bad spells like Geist Snatch and Summoner's Bane. Or, if I don't have a counter spell at hand, I can cast a carddraw spell in response and let Talrand, Sky Summoner, Docent of Perfection Flip or Metallurgic Summonings do the rest.
It's better to never stumble in this kind of situation, so when Ertai counters stuff, I want a new thing on the board immediately to sac it next time. It's like Lullmage Mentor was made for that job in this deck.
Another reason I couldn't counter stuff with Ertai may be because he's tapped. I don't want that. He shouldn't be tapped. So I run Deceiver Exarch, Pestermite, and Village Bell-Ringer that I can flash in to untap Ertai - and to serve as sac fooder for his counter ability. How convenient!
Again, it's better to never get in this situation. So I gave him a nice little wand: Thornbite Staff. Whenever we sac a creature to counter something, Ertain untaps again immediately. When Lullmage Mentor is on the field, we have a nice little engine here. The Mentor works quite good with Intruder Alarm instead of the Staff, too.
Intruder Alarm works equally well with our emergency counterspells. If Ertai is tapped and therefor can't counter stuff, we counter with e.g. Summoner's Bane, get a dude, this entering the battlefield triggers the Alarm and untaps Ertai.
Friendly reminder: I want to counter stuff. I don't want to destroy or exile stuff. That's not my thing with this deck. So even if I missed countering something I don't like, I return it to hand, so I can counter it later. Capsize is your best friend in this deck, even if it is a bit boring. Just as Cyclonic Rift. I still have to find something cool and synergistic here.
2 weeks ago
Hey there Cool deck you have here! Just based on some of your includes, like Tooth and Nail, Cryptic Command, etc. it looks like you dont have a particularly constrained budget, so my suggestions will reflect that. Also, Riku is typically a fairly combo-based deck, and based on the fact that you have Palinchron in your deck (a card that goes infinite with your commander), Im also going to assume that your playgroup is OK with winning by combos. If those are incorrect assumptions, feel free to ignore me.
OK, lets talk additions.
- Panharmonicon doubles ETB effects, Riku has a lot of ETB effects. Cant go wrong here.
- Parallel Lives is also good.
- Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are both awesome ramp cards, and in a mana-heavy deck like Riku, youll need all of the ramp you can get.
- Explosive Vegetation and Skyshroud Claim are also good ramp cards, as are Sakura-Tribe Elder and Solemn Simulacrum.
- Traverse the Outlands is new, but seems to be shaping up as one of the best ramp spells in the format.
- Cyclonic Rift is an EDH staple, and absolutely belongs here.
- Deadeye Navigator is a good backup combo piece with the aforementioned Palinchron, just in case you cant access Riku.
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker is an insta-win with any of Zealous Conscripts, Pestermite, or Deceiver Exarch, so Id include Kiki and one of the last three. Both pieces can also be fetched with Tooth and Nail.
- Craterhoof Behemoth is amazing when doubled with Riku.
- Chromatic Lantern is one of the best mana rocks you can run.
- Gilded Lotus is also good.
- Biovisionary isnt for everyone, but with all of your clone effects, it could make for some hilarious wins.
- Chaos Warp can get rid of any problematic permanent for just three mana at instant speed
- Beast Within does the same thing.
- Fact or Fiction is some of the best card draw in the game, and if you make a friend at the table, they can give you all five cards.
- Temporal Mastery with Riku seems evil.
- Mimic Vat is an endless stream of clones.
- Sylvan Library lets you draw three cards a turn if you really need to, and at the very least filters your draws.
- With enough mana, Future Sight lets you play most of your deck.
- Riku has only two toughness, and is very vulnerable to removal. Darksteel Plate, Lightning Greaves, and Swiftfoot Boots are all good at making sure he sticks around.
- I would recommend running some number of lands, as otherwise its pretty hard to cast your cards. As you only have 62 cards in here, I assume the remaining 38 slots are lands, but I just thought I'd check :)
2 weeks ago
I don't think you currently have a way to have infinite turns since Part the Waterveil exiles itself on resolution and Walk the Aeons requires sacrificing lands to buy back. Here are some ways to go infinite with Riku
Cast Walk the aeons, end step Conjurers Closet targets Witness, Witness gets back Walk the Aeons, take extra turn, repeat.
Put 5 counters from Mastodon on Sage of Hours, remove counters to take another turn, next turn upkeep return Mastodon and recast, repeat. Or end step Conjurers Closet target Mastodon and bolster Sage of Hours again, repeat.
Tap Time Vault, take extra turn, untap Time Vault with Key, repeat.
Other infinite combos you can do in Temur colors
Ex. Put Splinter Twin on Pestermite, token copy of Pestermite untaps original Pestermite with Splinter Twin on it, tap again to make another copy, repeat
Make a squirrel, tap squirrel to untap land with Nest on it, and then sacrifice tokens for damage
Cast Pact, then each opponent is forced to cast a pact, on upkeep if they are playing the color of the pact and are unable to pay the upkeep cost they die.
Hope this gets the brewing juices flowing!
3 weeks ago
Spenzerr I'm not going to replace my Royal Assassin with straght kill spells, at least for the time being. Also, Pestermite hasn't got cipher, so I'm not going for it either. But the other ones are interesting, thanks :-)
3 weeks ago
Have you thought about Marang River Prowler? I think that would be better than Inkfathom Infiltrator because it gets cheaper with Frogtosser Banneret and can also come back from the graveyard. Also I think the Royal Assassin needs to be just a straight up removal spell like Grasp of Darkness or Fatal Push. Maybe also some utility with a Bident of Thassa. Pestermite would probably be better replacing another creature and Hands of Binding.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Built this deck. Loads of fun to play. Your friends get tired of it real quick. I squeezed in some Pestermites, they felt pretty good but maybe unnecessary. Mained Serum Visionss, great card in this deck. Gives cheap card draw and helps get your board built quicker. Fairly budget too! Great work man.