|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi (DDP)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt (DDK)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Akoum Refuge enters the battlefield tapped.
When Akoum Refuge enters the battlefield, you gain 1 life.
: Gain or .
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||failurechild88 , Friedrice24 , Unjust_DiabIo , LeroyJones , thekingpinBR , Oskani , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , Mousemke , , bakeraj4 , bakunet , angesoir , Reliva , brentkc49 , anonymausguy , Zelpoke , geazykagar , bennybubbles , PTsmitty|
|Want (32)||Draw_Wurm , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , Ariumlegion , GingerDynamite , sttmccln , coadster , Niroh , meren13 , therocker666ify , mikeilowry92 , Iveliᴓs , Oskani , Rolska , Luftwaffle , DraconicCreed , BurnedImpulse , CK500 , Red_Hawk_The_Stern , Jspeed , JSLardizabal , Lazysaurus , MxStoneheart , jessniem , P13 , frands24 , pelzee , jamiefosternz , Timishue , Archmage_Aramil , TheBossferatu , mistarilledawn , affort|
Akoum Refuge Discussion
3 weeks ago
I actually made a deck pretty similar to this one. Her it is if you want to check it out: Mogis the hate god
what I found out through play testing is that creatures more or less suck for group slug strategies. There are plenty of really good creatures that fit this deck such as Zo-Zu the Punisher however I've found that if you relly too much on your creatures for incremental damage they are too susceptible to removal and board wipes.
In your case I believe you can safely get rid of any creature that produces mana. In most edh deck you only need about 10ish mana rocks and right now you have 11 as regular artifacts so I think your ramp will be fine.
Besides ramping creatures I believe that cutting these cards would also be advantageous:
- Netherborn Phalanx
- Indulgent Tormentor I don't really like targeted effects like this with mogis
- Fleshbag Marauder
With all those cards cut I'd then start putting in more group slug type enchantments. The reason I like these enchantments more is because unlike creatures, most board wipes dont hit them and most people dont have a ton of enchantment removal. There are tons of these group slug type cards so I'm not going to say which ones would be best for your deck because most of them would work. But I like these ones:
I would also just reconsider these cards, I haven't personally played them so I can't be certain of how strong they are, but they dont seem to quite fit the deck.
- Cruel Reality It seems tempting but it only targets one opponent and is super expensive. I don't believe its worth its cost
- Browbeat I would personally rather have guaranteed card draw, try Ancient Craving instead
- Mana Geyser lots of mana, but what are you spending it on? if you had more X costing spells then it may be worth it but for now think of how bad of a top deck this would be with no cards in hand.
And of course I would strongly recommend running some dual lands to help smooth out your mana consistency. Here are some of the really budget ones:
- Akoum Refuge
- Bloodfell Caves
- Canyon Slough
- Cinder Barrens
- Cinder Marsh
- Foreboding Ruins
- Graven Cairns a little more pricey but really good for the cost
- Lantern-Lit Graveyard
- Lava Tubes
- Rakdos Carnarium
- Rakdos Guildgate
- Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace especially good in this deck
- Rocky Tar Pit
- Tresserhorn Sinks
- Urborg Volcano
You have a strong core here once again but I just feel that some of your card slots could be better spent. Hope all this helps
1 month ago
I'd also like to point out that drawing 7 cards with him in a mill deck where you run things such as Sphinx's Tutelage is absolutely devastating.
Most Modern decks run 2 - 3 colors. Rare exceptions are things such as Elves and Burn which are mono-colors and 5C Humans. There are nearly no 4C Modern decks because the balancing is not worth the deck potential, though they can be made with enough effort. The real problem here isn't that 4C isn't powerful, it's that the manafixing is absurd. 5C Humans, I've seen go for literally $1,300 - well out of the budget for I'd say 90% of MTG players. My most expensive Modern deck is $340 and I bought damaged cards and foreign cards to help reduce the cost - and that thing took me two weeks of overtime to save up for with enough cushion set aside to ensure bills can still be paid on time.
Alright, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say I am running my Rakdos Minotaur deck. This thing packs a serious punch and is all about dropping Instant-speed kill spells while building up a Minotaur Tribal wall of death before I swing in for 160+ damage with just 4 - 5 creatures.
I'm going to draw my hand, and skip on over to T4. This gives you time to get a Sphinx's Tutelage out without ramp, somehow have landed Griselbrand in your graveyard, and cast yourself a Goryo's Vengeance to bring him out on your 4th turn.
So I draw 7 cards, I'll go first, and draw three more as my turns come and go. This leaves 50 cards left in my library.
Let's see what happens when you draw 7 with Sphinx's Tutelage on the field.
- Card 1: Unlicensed Disintegration + Akoum Refuge
- Card 2: Rageblood Shaman + Felhide Petrifier
- Card 3: Rageblood Shaman + Mountain
- Card 4: Mountain + Dreadbore
- Card 5: Kragma Warcaller + Rakdos Carnarium
- Card 6: Whip of Erebos + Temple of Malice
- Card 7: Savage Beating + Rakdos Carnarium
Okay, so that wasn't so bad on my end. So suppose you pay 7 more life, draw 7 more cards, and put me through this 7 more times.
- Card 1: Dreadbore + Temple of Malice
- Card 2: Terminate + Cursed Minotaur REPEAT + Swamp + Akoum Refuge
- Card 3: Mountain + Neheb, the Worthy
- Card 4: Savage Beating + Whip of Erebos
- Card 5: Neheb, the Worthy + Rakdos Signet
- Card 6: Unlicensed Disintegration + Felhide Petrifier REPEAT + Anaba Shaman + Darksteel Citadel
- Card 7: Anaba Shaman + Felhide Petrifier
So you milled me for a total of 32 cards. You would have paid 14 life, but remember you could swing for 7 damage since he has Haste via Goryo's Vengeance and pay it AGAIN, so let's make me go through this one last time and see where I'm left off at. Remember, I had 10 cards accounted for between my opening hand and my three draw steps. So I only have 18 cards left in my library. So you pay 7 more life and we go through this whole sha-bang one more time.
- Card 1: Smelt-Ward Minotaur + Terminate REPEAT + Mountain + Smelt-Ward Minotaur
- Card 2: Swamp + Temple of Malice
- Card 3: Rageblood Shaman + Mountain
- Card 4: Rageblood Shaman + Cursed Minotaur
- Card 5: Akoum Refuge + Darksteel Citadel
- Card 6: Felhide Petrifier + Neheb, the Worthy REPEAT + Terminate + Terminate REPEAT + Anaba Shaman + Swamp
- Card 7: I have no more cards in my library :(
You pass the turn and I lose.
T4 Mill. Set up right, you can do it T3.
1 month ago
Thank you for the Complements on my Emerkul, didn't know MUCH about Pherxia until i looked it up, but yeah...
You We're Correct
2 months ago
This deck needed more basic lands; too many come-into-play tapped lands imo.
7 months ago
8 months ago
I removed some of the ramp for some cheaper options. Kess, Dissident Mage needed some more protection so Swiftfoot Boots was necessary till I get the other boots. Land switches kinda water down the deck a little bit. (i need better land)
9 months ago
I would also recommend going down the enchantments- if you ever get your dragons out, they will be enough. the enchantments just take up a bit of space.so if you want to win with dragons and nicol bolas, what you are going to have to do is stall the early game- easy ways to do this is kill their creatures, counter their threats, and since you have access to black, some budget discard ( Duress , Despise ) would actually be good for you, and still feel like a nicol bolas style play, haha.I would also trade out about half to two thirds of your basic lands for some of these: Akoum Refuge, Dismal Backwater, Swiftwater Cliffs, Jwar Isle Refuge, Bloodfell Caves.Reason being, you are three colors, and will have a hard time casting your spells in hand with whatever random lands you draw without fetches or mana fixing, these are budget options that will help, and have the wierd plus side of gaining you a little bit of life that might matter to get to the late game for dragons.
Young Pyromancer would be a great addition, only because its an early threat, that gives you value with your spells and will buy time to get to dragons and nicol bolas.I would say 6 discard spells, about 8 creature removal, 4 counterspells, both your board wipes, nicol bolas and about 15 creatures and 24 lands would be a fair deck if you balance the curve out.
BUTThis is your deck, have fun with it, build it play it and see what you need to do to alter it.
9 months ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.