|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi (DDP)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt (DDK)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Akoum Refuge enters the battlefield tapped.
When Akoum Refuge enters the battlefield, you gain 1 life.
: Gain or .
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||failurechild88 , Friedrice24 , Unjust_DiabIo , LeroyJones , thekingpinBR , Oskani , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , Mousemke , bakeraj4 , bakunet , angesoir , Reliva , brentkc49 , anonymausguy , Zelpoke , geazykagar , bennybubbles , PTsmitty ,|
|Want (24)||Draw_Wurm , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , Ariumlegion , GingerDynamite , sttmccln , coadster , Niroh , therocker666ify , mikeilowry92 , Iveliᴓs , Oskani , Luftwaffle , pelzee , DraconicCreed , BurnedImpulse , CK500 , Red_Hawk_The_Stern , Jspeed , JSLardizabal , Lazysaurus , MxStoneheart , jessniem , P13 , frands24|
Akoum Refuge Discussion
2 weeks ago
This deck needed more basic lands; too many come-into-play tapped lands imo.
5 months ago
7 months ago
I removed some of the ramp for some cheaper options. Kess, Dissident Mage needed some more protection so Swiftfoot Boots was necessary till I get the other boots. Land switches kinda water down the deck a little bit. (i need better land)
7 months ago
I would also recommend going down the enchantments- if you ever get your dragons out, they will be enough. the enchantments just take up a bit of space.so if you want to win with dragons and nicol bolas, what you are going to have to do is stall the early game- easy ways to do this is kill their creatures, counter their threats, and since you have access to black, some budget discard ( Duress , Despise ) would actually be good for you, and still feel like a nicol bolas style play, haha.I would also trade out about half to two thirds of your basic lands for some of these: Akoum Refuge, Dismal Backwater, Swiftwater Cliffs, Jwar Isle Refuge, Bloodfell Caves.Reason being, you are three colors, and will have a hard time casting your spells in hand with whatever random lands you draw without fetches or mana fixing, these are budget options that will help, and have the wierd plus side of gaining you a little bit of life that might matter to get to the late game for dragons.
Young Pyromancer would be a great addition, only because its an early threat, that gives you value with your spells and will buy time to get to dragons and nicol bolas.I would say 6 discard spells, about 8 creature removal, 4 counterspells, both your board wipes, nicol bolas and about 15 creatures and 24 lands would be a fair deck if you balance the curve out.
BUTThis is your deck, have fun with it, build it play it and see what you need to do to alter it.
8 months ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
8 months ago
definitely add like one or two lands, cut
if you don't have enough lands to replace all these, keep the ones you like most
8 months ago
Good old Edgar! Sure, I'll give you some suggestions. For reference, here is my Edgar Markov deck. If you take a look at that to compare card choices, one thing to note is I'm running Vampire Nocturnus so I intentionally avoided nonblack cards, so you'll want to keep that in mind.
Akoum Refuge is another lifegain dual land if you want a fourth. It was only an ally-colored cycle so that's the only one of those you can run. Myriad Landscape is great and goes in almost any deck. Since this deck is so heavy in black, you might want to look at Tainted Peak and Tainted Field.
If you want to be aggressive, how about some one-drops? Viscera Seer is perfect for this deck. Easy include. I was also excited to discover Shadow Alley Denizen, though I haven't gotten to cast her myself in the deck yet. Getting intimidate off your Vampire tokens seems like it should be good for chipping in some extra damage.
Other cards, let's see... Sangromancer is very efficient and should play well here. Vampiric Rites lets you turn extra dorks into life and cards. It's not as efficient as Skullclamp, but you only get to run one of those. How about Mathas, Fiend Seeker? An evasive low-drop that draws cards and gains life sounds perfect!
Chalice of Life Flip - Doesn't gain life very fast and even a Lava Axe every round gives your opponents plenty of time to respond. If you want a way to win outside the combat phase, kill the table with Exsanguinate or Debt to the Deathless.
Licia, sanguine Tribune - I think Licia is cool, but she really needs a deck built around her. You aren't going to want to spend 7-8 mana to cast her and your deck isn't set up to gain huge chunks of life without investing mana that turn. You've got a few ways to do it, but without those she's kind of a brick.
Damnable Pact - this card feels like a bad Braingeyser and a bad Blaze. Flexibility is nice, but I don't think the efficiency tradeoff is worth it in this case. If you want an X-spell finisher, see above. If you want to draw cards, there are plenty of efficient spells like Night's Whisper, Sign in Blood, Painful Truths, and Read the Bones. Or you could check out Vampiric Rites.
Diabolic Tutor - Four mana for a tutor is just so expensive. I'd rather just cast a card draw spell.
Defiant Bloodlord - Ok, so hear me out. I have had this guy in my hand in lifegain decks and man, I never want to spend seven mana on him. He's so much easier to kill than Sanguine Bond and, unlike Butcher of Malakir, you are unlikely to be able to make good use of his static ability the turn you cast him.
8 months ago
Alright! Hi! Since this is your first EDH deck I'll start with a lot of basic/staple things to get you up to speed :)
First, welcome to the best magic format! If you haven't already, check out the rules website here.
Back? Alright! We need to get you up to 100 cards my friend! Let's start with your lands.
For any average EDH deck, you need 35-38 lands. This depends on a great many things(like curve, strategy, ramp, card draw, ect) but something in that range is what you should shoot for.
Going all basics is very risky because there's no guarantee you can get all three colors on turn 4. It's also hard to cast stuff with double or triple colors in their mana costs. So here are a bunch of $5 and under suggestions to get you up to ~37 lands. I like to do things in cycles, so I have the same amount of each color available.
Extra mana: Temple of the False God
So those are all a bunch of relatively budget options you can use. I usually keep all of those the same and change the number of each basic land to match the color ratio of the deck.
Next I want to talk about ramp. Any EDH deck should have about 8-10. You don't have green so most of it will be artifact ramp. Your commander has a CMC of 4 so it's important to use 2 cost artifact ramp to get her out on turn 3.
Sol Ring goes in pretty much every EDH deck. If you think you'll be playing EDH for a while I'd buy at least 5 haha
That'll give you a solid playable mana base, whith with you can do anything with the rest of the deck and still play normally. You could even change commanders if you want!
For the rest, I'll turn to the pros: This is the Command Zone Episode 151 where they talk about their template and how much ramp, lands, board wipes, spot removal, card draw, creatures, etc etc etc you should have in your average deck. Definitely watch it all but here's a summery I found in the comments:
Mana Ramp - 10Card Draw - 10Single Target Removal - 5Board Wipes - 5
Standalone - a card that works on it's own or in concert with your commander. (25)Enhancer - a card that either amplifies or is amplified by your commander, standalone cards or other enhancers. (10-12)Enabler - a card that covers a weakness or a fills a gap in your strategy. (7-8)
Then head over to EDHREC and pick out cards that interest you!
One last peice of advice, don't go and buy all this shit yet. Wait a while, craft the deck, continue getting advice on it, then buy the cards you know you want. Don't be like me and but 200 cards for a 100 card deck haha