Faith of the Devoted
Whenever you cycle or discard a card, you may pay 1. If you do, each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Faith of the Devoted Discussion
1 week ago
So your infinite combo is to draw? Not sure what you do with that except maybe add Cunning Survivor as a win condition because of the discard triggers you can get yourself can make it swing lethal. All you need to do now is give it haste so you can just bring it back from the grave in the triggers.
After some digging in the card data base I found better options would be to run either Marionette Master as you generate an infinite amount of treasure or Faith of the Devoted as you can just drain them out.
For some real spice you can use Fateful Showdown. Not really reccomended
I am not sure why you have Karn, Scion of Urza in this deck idea to much, unless you were trying to get the token. I would skip that idea because the token can still be chump blocked after all. This should also save you a good chunk of cash as he will be a hot card likely.
I would also probably cut the Mox Amber as the card has no real value in the deck. It is a slow mana source as you can't tap it till you get a legendary creature. I could be under valuing it but I am not fond of how long it would take to become active.
I also advise adding counter magic to the deck to make sure you can get your combo off primarily to protect Teshar, Ancestor’s Apostle or to protect any of the suggested cards I mentioned.
Side deck definitely needs the counter magic, but also will want something like Demystify to get rid of any Ixalan's Binding that locks up a part of your combo (yes even squee can get locked up in this).
Best of luck with the deck. Might try this deck idea you have here with some tweaks when set comes out.
1 week ago
I really love the idea behind this deck! It reminds me of something I would have come up with when I first started playing (I mean this in a very positive way!), as it is both plausible and creative!
- Cut 3 Khenra Eternal: They don't really fit into your game plan.
- Add 1 Wall of Forgotten Pharaohs: This card can be powerful in this type of deck.
- Cut 3 Painted Bluffs, 2 Survivors' Encampment, 2 Island, and 2 Swamp: This with the additions below will help smooth out your mana.
- Add 3 Ifnir Deadlands, 4 Fetid Pools, and 4 Drowned Catacomb: Since you are trying to ramp into something big, you probably want to hit as many land drops as you can. Plus you are running a lot of cycling lands, so that'll help mitigate flood.
- Cut 2 Faith of the Devoted, 2 Bontu's Monument, and 2 Kefnet's Monument: These cards don't have enough synergy with your deck, and you could use these slots to be more focused.
- Add 1 Trespasser's Curse, 2-3 Dowsing Dagger , and 3-4 Ammit Eternal: Dowsing Dagger can be really cute with Trespasser's Curse! And Ammit Eternal will ensure your damage gets through
- Cut 3 Scribe of the Mindful, 2 Merciless Eternal, and 1 Seeker of Insight: these cards are less good now that you've gotten rid of faith - Seeker and the Eternal still have potential though, which is why I left them.
- Add more removal! Once you get your Torment of Scarabs online, this deck will really be able to punish any opponent that can't get more than one creature out at a time.
- Removal to consider: Fatal Push, Vraska's Contempt, Underhanded Designs, Trial of Ambition, Ravenous Chupacabra, Tetzimoc, Primal Death, Doomfall, Hour of Glory, Hostage Taker, Essence Extraction, Yahenni's Expertise or Walk the Plank
- Along with your new removal, you may want to play a copy of Dead Man's Chest because that's just cute. And I'm sure this goes without saying, but this deck would also like 2 The Scarab God
- You can easily get the city's blessing with this deck with all of the enchantments that you have, so playing Kumena's Awakening and Vona's Hunger would likely be good. Along the same route, Twilight Prophet would be great too
At this point, I'm sure you're getting tired of reading, but before you go, I will suggest one more thing: either add green or cut blue for green. This allows you to ramp with cards like Spring and Thunderherd Migration, which will power out your big cards earlier!
Hopefully this was at least somewhat helpful. Feel free to reach out with your thoughts on my suggestions. Excited to see how you change it up. Please keep me updated on the results.
2 months ago
2 months ago
Thanks for checking it out @jakebreake, I'm glad you enjoyed the build. I think your right, Desert Cerodon and Razaketh's Rite are flexible slots. I feel for Azor's Gateway Flip to work well the deck will need around 3 cards available at around 7-8 different cmc slots. I have found that having 8 or more cards with a cycling cost of 1 is helpful in finishing the game with Faith of the Devoted. I'm not sure what's right, but I decided to go with combo strength, sense the deck lacks threats and packs a lot of removal.
On that point, I'm pretty confident in the removal suite, especially vs fast aggro decks. Push, cut, and never provide 11 direct target removal spells that are all great vs early creatures. additionally the 4 suns and 1 hour provide card advantage when they 2 or more for 1, and can really shut down a lot of decks. I'm actually more worried of cards like Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Hazoret the Fervent, The Scarab God, and God-Pharoah's Gift.
To that end, I don't think adding small 2 drop creatures is the answer. One of this deck's strengths is the lack of creature threats almost guaranteeing at least 1 dead card for the opponent. Maybe there are some alternative cheap spells out there that can deal with the specific problem cards of the deck. Doomfall springs to mind as a strong catch all that could easily side in for Sweltering Suns at the 3 drop slot.
2 months ago
So my left field solution might be 2x Faith of the Devoted in the sideboard against burn- stupid right? Itd keep me up a little longer? I had some once in this deck a long time ago but they make it so slow. I barley use the bontus So I was thinking of culling those...
Maybe another 1x Vraska's Contempt on the side
Always appreciate your tests and feedback Argy. Glad you enjoyed it.
PonchoLibre on ff
3 months ago
Barren Moor isnt modern legal, if you want something that is still fairly cheap and has a similar effect you could try Desert of the Glorified it is a little easier to access than some other cycling lands. Archfiend of Ifnir, Faith of the Devoted, and Shadow of the Grave might also be a good investment into improving your cycling, not to mention they are also fairly cheap.
3 months ago
Take out Teferi's Protection Counterspell Meishin, the Mind Cage Imprisoned in the Moon Steel of the Godhead Go for the Throat Thassa, God of the Sea Sphere of Safety Do or Die Aegis of the Gods Arcane Adaptation Drake Haven Spell Swindle Chill to the Bone Shielded by Faith Bruna, Light of Alabaster Faith of the Devoted Vanishing Ghostly Prison The Scarab God Rend Flesh AEther Barrier Eyeblight's Ending,
put in Mystic Remora Preordain Blind Obedience Arcane Laboratory Rest in Peace Planar Void Oblivion Ring Sol Ring Mana Vault Consulate Crackdown Energy Flux Tunnel Vision (combo with open the vaults) Serum Visions Thought Scour Negate Lightning Greaves
I don't know what kind of theme or way of winning you are trying to go for. you don't really have a way to win with this deck. You need to get some kind of combo. Zur is very powerful because he can tutor an enchantment out of your deck so use that to your advantage and try to put in cards that are 3 or less so that your commander can have a greater effect. Try to go find an infinite combo or you can also build stax. You won't win consistently if you don't have an infinite combo. You might find other versions of zur on this site that are good (probably not). CEDH Reddit can probably help you out... though some of the things might be expensive. The things I suggested are just a couple relatively cheap cards that make a big impact. Try to have a theme in your deck whether it is control/combo or voltron or pillowfort.
3 months ago
I would definitely recommend picking up 4 copies of your important cards. These would be Vile Manifestation, Horror of the Broken Lands, Grisly Survivor. You should also pick up some copies of Archfiend of Ifnir and Cast Out, maybe a few Forsake the Worldly or Faith of the Devoted For more consistency I would definitely recommend playing all the copies you're allowed to of the important cards. For what to cut, just get rid of the 1-of or 2-of cards that don't work well with the strategy.