Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Kicker (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
Scry 2, then draw a card. If this spell was kicked, you may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.
3 weeks ago
19/01/2023 changes: There have been a few rounds of changes. Removed counterspells to attempt to make the deck to make more fun to play against, sold the Mox Diamond because it's become worth a mint in the last 7 years, added more draw and refocused the deck on creature ETB based interaction instead of something like Oblivion Ring. It's a good card but I don't get the value that I could get out of a Fiend Hunter. You know where I'm going with this. I've also added more mana fixing to the land base and adjusted colours for the new balance.
- - 1x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
- - 1x Azorius Signet
- - 1x Detention Sphere
- - 4x Forest
- - 1x Force of Will
- - 1x Isochron Scepter
- - 1x Land Tax
- - 1x Martial Coup
- - 1x Mirrorweave
- - 1x Mox Diamond
- - 1x Oblivion Ring
- - 4x Plains
- - 1x Polymorphist's Jest
- - 1x Prototype Portal
- - 1x Pyxis of Pandemonium
- - 1x Pestermite
- - 1x Spell Crumple
- - 1x Strionic Resonator
- - 1x Treachery
- - 1x Temple of the False God
- - 1x Thran Dynamo
- - 1x Time Spiral
- - 1x Tinker
- + 1x Arcane Signet
- + 1x Adarkar Wastes
- + 1x Blue Sun's Zenith
- + 1x Barkchannel Pathway Flip
- + 1x Brokers Hideout
- + 1x Consider
- + 1x Deserted Beach
- + 1x Dreamroot Cascade
- + 1x Echoing Truth
- + 1x Evolving Wilds
- + 1x Fading Hope
- + 1x Hengegate Pathway Flip
- + 1x Joint Exploration
- + 1x Mind Stone
- + 1x Overgrown Farmland
- + 1x Preordain
- + 1x Relic of Progenitus
- + 1x Repopulate
- + 1x Stonehorn Dignitary
- + 1x Terramorphic Expanse
- + 1x Temple of Mystery
- + 1x Temple of Enlightenment
- + 1x Wilt
1 month ago
The deck is performing well overall - just wanted more card draw and ramp in the build.
2 months ago
I'd definitely add Ulvenwald Oddity
Flip -> 2 hasty 4/4 creatures that can also give haste to all your birds and beasts in the late game.
Indrik Stomphowler is a little overpriced but your deck lacks removal spells so I think this could work here.
Consider Anara, Wolvid Familiar and Esior, Wardwing Familiar. They are legenday so Tawnos won't copy them but they are reasonably costed and provide protection for your commander.
The last thing that I'd change is your ramp. You're in simic -> colour that has the best ramp in the game. I would cut all mana producing artifacts and instead play cards that put more lands onto the battlefield like Rampant Growth, Farseek, Nature's Lore, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Nissa's Pilgrimage, Skyshroud Claim, Explore, Growth Spiral, Joint Exploration or Broken Bond.
If you cut all the mana rocks for land ramp you can also run the new card Fade from History.
2 months ago
Hey, nice upgrades to the precon on a budget.
With Kalamax I find that instants that can give him evasion while also draw a card are excellent. It's the draw that's makes 1 mana and 2 mana spells like this busted with Kalamax. Kalamax is a great attacker to do real Commander damage if he has evasion.
Kalamax is a mana hungry Commander because to take advantage of his abilities you want to cast an instant on each player's turn and to do this consistently requires having a lot of mana. Consider more ramp?
- Relic of Legends --> Haldan, Avid Arcanist
- Storm-Kiln Artist --> Pako, Arcane Retriever
- Roiling Regrowth --> Essence Scatter
- Fellwar Stone --> Evolution Charm
- Joint Exploration --> Curse of Echoes
Relic of Legends is ramp and a source to tap Kalamax that makes mana. Storm-Kiln Artist is more magecraft, ramp with treasures. Roiling Regrowth is like Harrow except the basic lands ETB tapped. From the precon Haldan, Avid Arcanist + Pako, Arcane Retriever aren't needed, they belong in their own deck, with their own strategies.
Three, four or five color Precon manabases are subpar with too many basic lands which makes color fixing from lands quite poor. On a budget there's several land upgrades to consider, replacing not just some basic lands, but other lands that always ETB tapped for lands that don't?
- Holdout Settlement --> 1x Mountain
- Survivors' Encampment --> 1x Island
- Shivan Reef --> 1x Mountain
- Karplusan Forest --> 1x Island
- Rockfall Vale --> Rugged Highlands
- Vineglimmer Snarl --> Thornwood Falls
- Game Trail --> Gruul Turf
- Path of Ancestry --> Swiftwater Cliffs
Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment can tap Kalamax to make mana. This is important since relying only on tapping Kalamax because you attacked can be problematic because what if Kalamax can't attack?
Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
Soul of the Harvest, Fertilid, Mulldrifter and Shriekmaw are good budget elementals.
Wolfbriar Elemental is a nice mana sink in the late game.
Consider adding backgrounds like Master Chef or Scion of Halaster.
You are running Joint Exploration. Consider similar cards like Explore or Growth Spiral. They can let your deck gain some early velocity.
If you play multiple elementals with evoke then a card like Village Rites becomes useful because you can cast it in response to the evoke trigger and draw 2. Card like Evolutionary Leap could also be used in response to evoke trigger to draw a fresh elemental
Zendikar's Roil can let you go wide with elementals.
Tatyova, Steward of Tides makes your lands into 3/3/ elementals
Kenrith's Transformation is a great removal spell that replaces itself and can be recurred.
Tezzeret's Gambit draws 2 cards and proliferates.
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar puts counters on each creature for just 3 mana
Cards I would replace:
- cards with kicker and Vine Gecko (they are generally worse cards than regular budget ramp spells like Rampant Growth or Cultivate)
- 6 forests because you have low mana curve (I would cut the land count to something like 36 lands, but you could also swap them for dual lands with basic land types from Kaldheim - Woodland Chasm, Dominaria United - Haunted Mire, Temple cycle - Temple of Malady or bounce lands - Golgari Rot Farm
- Titania, Protector of Argoth because there is only one card -> Harrow that can proc her ability to make elementals
I would also cut some of the elementals that don't have any useful abilties like Jaddi Lifestrider, Healer of the Glade, Glade Watcher, Floodhound, Offalsnout, Smolder Initiate and Slitherwisp.
Hope you find some of the suggestions helpful.
4 months ago
Very solid build on a budget and I love the theme! I posted some comments on my Jorn deck page in response to yours. So for here, and focusing on simply card draw and protection, I recommend these cards because they're cheap and have never let me down:
- Joint Exploration - its like Growth Spiral and Opt rolled into one
- The Cruelty of Gix - because of the new "Read Ahead" mechanic, this thing lets you tutor for any card at the small price of 3 life (typical when you're in the color of Black), and also has graveyard recursion which is what your deck is trying to do.
- Diabolic Vision - probably THE best scry/draw card in Dimir colors and runs about $0.50
- Expedition Map - tutors for ANY land
- Tempt with Discovery - also tutors for ANY land, and usually within a game you'll get +1 or +2 additional lands off this cast
- Sunstone - $0.25 card from Ice Age that gives you a Fog effect when you need it
- Viridian Revel - great against folks playing treasure-heavy decks, allowing you to draw every time they sac a treasure
- Scrying Sheets - a bit out of your budget, being roughly $5-6, but its soooooooo good in Snow decks
4 months ago
Dominaria United has some nice new cards out. Joint Exploration is an improved Growth Spiral that lets us scry 2 before drawing. The Cruelty of Gix just adds to the flavor of the deck, and acts as a Duress + Imperial Seal + Reanimate (but can also steal from other's graveyards, like the one we filled with the Duress effect). Going to try it out!