: Add to your mana pool. ( represents colourless mana.)
, Tap an untapped creature you control: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.
Printings View all
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Holdout Settlement occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Holdout Settlement Discussion
1 month ago
Yeah dude, good job, I have a really similiar list to yours.
1 month ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
1 month ago
Hey, it's crazy that the precon is still worth about $100 when you can get it for $40 from Target or Walmart. I'm not sure of the budget you have to make upgrades, but here are some budget cards to consider adding. These cards are good with Kalamax no matter the main strategy you want to upgrade the precon with.
Wizards didn't include the the copy spell combo in the precon and for good reason as it would make this precon much better out of box than the others. Putting infinite +1/+1 counters on Kalamax at instant speed just by copying an opponents instant or sorcery or your own is busted. Have Ral on the battlefield before you do this to just win the game.
These cards can tap Kalamax to make mana letting you keep Kalamax back on defense and then tap it to trigger it on your opponents turn. Kalamax can tap itself by attacking, but sometimes you don't want to attack or can't attack so having others ways to tap it is helpful. Being able to tap Kalamax the turn you play it if you can't attack to then cast an instant on an opponents turn is nice. Being able to tap Kalamax at instant speed is also needed if you want to copy your own instant to put infinite counters on Kalamax/win with Ral.
In the precon Wolfrun is really the only way to give Kalamax repeatable evasion and Crop can tutor for it making it the better option, but having another way can be beneficial. Hadana's Climb Flip more specifically Winged Temple of Orazca is a good repeatable effect since for three mana you can double Kalamax's power/toughness and give it flying. Climb will most likely flip the turn you play it when you target Kalamax.
Pull from Tomorrow is an instant mass draw spell. I'll stop now.
1 month ago
2 months ago
Nitpicking - IN! (41 cards) Goblin Electromancer God-Eternal Kefnet Guttersnipe Niv-Mizzet, Parun Wavebreak Hippocamp Ral, Storm Conduit Ancient Grudge Arcane Denial Commit / Memory Conqueror's Galleon Flip Cultivator's Caravan Electrodominance Expansion / Explosion Expedite Fact or Fiction Fire / Ice Foil Fury Storm Impulse Krosan Grip Mizzix's Mastery Mystic Confluence Nature's Claim Peek Primal Amulet Flip Radical Idea Rapid Hybridization Snap Springleaf Drum Stubborn Denial Thaumatic Compass Flip Thousand-Year Storm Game Trail Holdout Settlement Mountain Valley Reliquary Tower Rogue's Passage Sheltered Thicket Survivors' Encampment Temple of Abandon Temple of Mystery
2 months ago
MTGGoldfish - In! (29 cards) Rampant Growth Farseek Sakura-Tribe Elder Search for Tomorrow Expansion / Explosion Thassa's Intervention Young Pyromancer Reverberate Ral, Storm Conduit Increasing Vengeance Pull from Tomorrow Fact or Fiction Reality Shift Snap Springleaf Drum Thrill of Possibility Spell Pierce Wavebreak Hippocamp Once and Future Submerge Nature's Claim Narset's Reversal Return to Nature Magmaquake Forest Opt Saheeli, Sublime Artificer Survivors' Encampment Holdout Settlement
2 months ago
You've got a lot of good things going on in this list! I think you'll definitely have some great games piloting it.
5 colour mana bases are always so difficult to get right, especially on a budget. You should definitely be playing about 38 lands. The tri-lands are definitely a great place to start and now you could even get your hands on the new triomes from Ikoria, which are also fetchable. You should definitely get your hands on City of Brass. Corrupted Crossroads is also a very good card, considering how many of your cards have Devoid. Exotic Orchard will pretty much always fix your mana. Forbidden Orchard's downside doesn't usually matter all that much in multiplayer. Grand Coliseum enters tapped but is otherwise a City of Brass that can be painless most of the time. Holdout Settlement works really well with all your Eldrazi spawns and scions. Cascading Cataracts is another easy way to fix your mana. Path of Ancestry will net you a lot of scrys while also fixing your mana. Reflecting Pool will help you fix any colour if you have any other land in play I suggested. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth will fix your black mana forever. Thespian's Stage is great to copy your lands for more fixing or for any special abilities you'd want more of, like Eldrazi Temple.
I think you could use more ramp. Skyshroud Claim can both ramp and fix your mana by getting you dual lands that have the forest type and they also come into play untapped if you want. Coalition Relic will get you to 6 mana on turn 4 by itself and fix your colours, which not many other cards can do. Arcane Signet outclasses most other mana rocks at the same mana cost. Farseek will get you any shockland or dual you have in your deck, or just a basic if you want.
2 months ago
Signets are beautiful mana rocks but im skipping those for land ramp in one way,shape,or form. So you are 100% correct. Just not following that philosophy in this deck.
Crop Rotation is an instant (copy able) which helps me find Survivors' Encampment orHoldout Settlement tapping the commander or Reliquary Tower. Also w the way sacrifice at cost spell, i only sac 1 land when its cast, and the copy will let me search for a 2nd land wout the sacrifice. Similar to Thrill of Possibility.