Scry 2, then draw a card. (To scry 2, look at the top two cards of your library, then put any number of them on the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.)
|Have (2)||metalmagic ,|
|Want (2)||colinmegill , Tezrian|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Preordain occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
20 hours ago
Hey, well done on a budget for your first Commander deck. I'm having fun with Veyran with Kalamax, the Stormsire .
You have 111 cards which is too many. Cards to consider cutting to get to 100 cards:
- Temple of the False God : you don't have any land ramp, only relying on land drops to get five or more lands. This land will not be able to tap for mana until turn five or six at the earliest which is really bad.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand : it's too slow for the for payoff even with Veyran. It's seven mana and you then have to cast an instant or sorcery to put a counter on it.
- Siren of the Fanged Coast : five mana 4/4 flier is what this will be every time you cast it which is subpar.
- Brass's Bounty : not worth seven mana for treasures since you don't want to ramp into it. Need at least six lands in your control to make paying seven mana worth six treasures.
- Curator's Ward : you have better hexproof protection (Greaves/Boots) for Veyran.
- Selective Snare : narrow sorcery speed removal since only works on one creature type.
- Violent Impact
- Traitorous Blood
- Darksteel Ingot
- Jori En, Ruin Diver
Some budget cards to consider adding:
- Reiterate : combos with Mana Geyser to make infinite red mana as long as opponents have seven or more tapped lands. Buyback is nice when you want to be casting instants since it lets you after resolving it put it back into your hand to cast again. Mana enablers Storm-Kiln Artist and Birgi, God of Storytelling Flip are excellent with buyback.
Buyback is the reason that Reiterate can be a infinite combo with Geyser. After copying Geyser with Reiterate you resolve the copy of Geyser first and then resolve the original Reiterate which puts it back into your hand. While the original Geyser is still on the stack cast Reiterate again to copy the original Geyser and repeat. Can make infinite storm count for
, infinite cast of instant for
Ral, Storm Conduit
or infinite mana for
Jaya's Immolating Inferno
as win conditions.
- Solve the Equation : tutor for any instant or sorcery.
- Saheeli, Sublime Artificer
- Frantic Search : goes well with High Tide since it can untap lands. Being able to cast an instant to draw and then untap lands lets you potentially cast another instant that you may of drawn to get more out of Veyran and magecraft.
- Brainstorm : staple blue draw spell, instant draw three for one mana.
- Increasing Vengeance : copy your own instant or sorcery. Has flashback which lets you cast it again from your graveyard and if you do copy your own instant or sorcery twice.
- Preordain : Scry 2 before you draw is nice. One mana spell that's a good target to copy.
- Wizard's Retort : Veyran is a Wizard.
- Shivan Reef
- Ash Barrens
- Grixis Panorama
If interested I offer more advice including cuts to consider. Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
Considering that your blink spells are great with the teacher and Mulldrifter, but really bad with your level up creatures, I really wouldn't run 16 copies. I think cutting Acrobatic Maneuver, and Momentary Blink would be a good start. Maybe cutting 2-4 copies of Cloudshift as well wouldn't be bad.
In their place, I would recommend some Proliferate spells. They will fill a similar role as your teacher, though you'll have to get the first level counter on yourself. Something like Contentious Plan , Thrummingbird and maybe Martyr for the Cause could be interesting options for you. These could also be substitutes for Drift of Phantasms, which I think was only there to get your teacher, right?
16 lands is also too few for your deck. Considering how many 3-drops you are playing, I think 22 would be more appropriate.
2 weeks ago
Not too much to say on this one, it has a good theme behind it, aligns nicely to the commander.
I has a good ramp package (about 12 or so on a quick look). Talisman of Creativity / Arcane Signet needs to be in here (can replace a higher CMC one). Dockside Extortionist is good if you can get his pre-con at walmart for $30. Foundry Inspector i see quite a bit. Hullbreacher if you lucky enough to crack one, he's super expensive, but so strong.
Scrap Trawler could be interesting, but I think you're on the token strategy, so it's honestly meh for you. More along the recursion lines, I often see Daretti, Scrap Savant being a go to for closing out a game. Sac your mana ramp artifacts to bring back your Myr Battlesphere for example. Hellkite Tyrant might be fun as an alt-win but he's CMC6 but certainly on theme, might be better than some others in those slots. Steel Overseer is often a good early drop, and has good value in all game facets, development, ahead, behind, even. Mirage Mirror is a good way to bring down CMC with game changers as well.
I think some targeted removal would be good, Chaos Warp , Counterspell , Cyclonic Rift , Vandalblast , lots of talk about the value/situation Mystic Reflection I think it may be cEDH level. Arcane Denial maybe. Narset's Reversal is really good, stealing an opponent spell sometimes better than just countering it. Capsize is a staple.
Draw perhaps could get a couple, it definitely has a draw package, I would convert 2-3 of my CMC6/5, and maybe 2 of my CMC4 moving them to the 1-3CMC slots. Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain is CMC4 but also good if replacing a CMC6. Recurring theme I know, thopters LOVE Skullclamp ! Jeska's Will I was a little show me what you can do, and now, I can't see any deck that shouldn't play this card, I've been trying to buy them when I see them in LGS, but they are never in stock. Brainstorm , Ponder are the strongest of the cantrips, I would include to lower the CMC and hit those land drops. Preordain is borderline I think, but it's still worthy of a spot IMHO. Faithless Looting especially if you have a Daretti, Scrap Savant .
Trading Post is just a fun card, I love it in my artifact decks. Good at a 5.
I'll say it again Lands suck, the cost :(. Steam Vents , Shivan Reef , Fiery Islet , Spire of Industry , Riverglide Pathway Flip are all must includes. Highland Lake / Izzet Guildgate / Swiftwater Cliffs would all be outs for me, things like Sulfur Falls / Training Center / Fabled Passage / Exotic Orchard arent guaranteed mana but have the potential of entering untapped and mana fixing.
I would try and get some more 1 drops (a little lack there at 2, like 6-8 better curve), 3 is probably a good peak, but might be a little too high, have a better progression with CMC2 some mana rocks Arcane Signet / Talisman of Creativity can do that replacing some higher cost ramp. 4 I might try and cut like 3 honestly. 5/6 around 10 total right now its 14. Sometimes evaluating cards on when you can play them, ultimately you want to play more cards = more fun/involvement. Your commander is CMC4 so if your playing her T3/T4 consistently (and that is where most of your cards sit too), you have to choose play the commander or play a 3/4 spell. You want to be developing the board on T1-T3 leading into that T3/T4 commander play with a nice +1 thopter engine. Another thing to think about is now its T4/T5 have 4-7 mana, I can't really cast a 5 and a 2 to use my mana because I'm mostly 3 drops, maybe i have 6 mana and 2x3, but why not play a CMC6+CMC1, or CMC4+CMC2 for maximum value. When everything 3/4 drop including your commander, lots of wasted mana or tough play decisions.
Ancient Stone Idol only has value I think when your ahead, or maybe even if you have a possible swing with flyers, really bad in developing or behind. However, have to balance with how awesomely fun he would be to play.
This deck looks built with good methodology, and a theme/win plan, which is awesome. My friend had a deck I called, "The deck of missed triggers" because no matter what he misses triggers. This deck reminds me of that because you have Draw triggers, Upkeep triggers, CMC enables, ETB's, Attack triggers, end of turn triggers, etc. Lots of stuff to keep track of on your board! It's really fun looking deck, I play Mizzix Spellstorm so I just have to worry about assembling a million combo pieces, but also my Animar Budget is fun, almost the same idea as this deck with creatures vs. artifacts, cast a creature like 5 things trigger and like 4 things modifying the CMC of each spell.
Super fun, nice low moving to mid deck. Cheers!
2 weeks ago
Past in Flames to replay those spells, Jeska's Will adds a lot of mana to storm off, Underworld Breach can replay those spells again, Silence might be useful here for when you're wanting to storm off right quick. also some cantrips can make the deck a lil more redundant like Ponder or Preordain
But the deck looks fun as heck!
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Hey, good version of Overlord on a budget.
- Cinder Glade --> Rugged Highlands
- Smoldering Marsh --> Bloodfell Caves
- Prairie Stream --> Wind-Scarred Crag
- Sunken Hollow --> Gateway Plaza
By adding the Battle lands then Farseek is two drop land ramp spell that can search for a dual land and it could replace Circuitous Route . Playing Tri lands with Bounce lands can be problematic when having to bounce a Tri land. Consider playing only the Tri lands and cutting the Bounce lands? Some budget Pain lands could replace the Bounce lands.
- Caves of Koilos --> Orzhov Basilica
- Shivan Reef --> Izzet Boilerworks
- Battlefield Forge --> Boros Garrison
These potential land upgrades can speed up game play since increasing the amount of lands that can ETB untapped and cutting ones that always ETB tapped. Crop Rotation is a budget land tutor that get any land and put it onto the battlefield and it's helpful when playing lots of basic lands. Faeburrow Elder is powerful in five color decks with so many possibilities from Slivers of having different colored permanents. Elder could replace Firemind Vessel .
Some other budget upgrades to consider:
- Necrotic Sliver ($0.25) --> Mortify
- Winged Sliver --> Shadow Sliver
- Dormant Sliver ($0.25) or Beast Whisperer --> First Sliver's Chosen
- Realmwalker --> Telekinetic Sliver
- Pact of the Serpent --> Prophetic Prism
- Preordain --> Ponder
- Victimize --> Return from Extinction
Shadow Sliver can be a problem not being able to block with Slivers. Dormant Sliver is repeatable draw, but Slivers can't attack until you remove it. Beast Whisperer can be a alternative to Dormant if not being able to attack is something you don't want to worry about. Preordain with scry 2 before draw is better than Ponder and it's less than $1.
Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
Made a number of updates - 20 cards changed in total including commander (Roon removed in favor of Chulane):
Removed Roon of the Hidden Realm , 3x Island , 2x Forest , 2x Plains , Selesnya Signet , Simic Signet , Telling Time , Brainstorm , Ponder , Preordain , Foresee , Time Reversal , Terminus , Kiora, the Crashing Wave , Tamiyo, Field Researcher , Darksteel Ingot , and Terastodon
Added: Chulane, Teller of Tales , 2x Snow-Covered Island , 2x Snow-Covered Plains , 2x Snow-Covered Forest , Flooded Grove , Arcane Signet , Teferi's Ageless Insight , Tatyova, Benthic Druid , Ice-Fang Coatl , Reveillark , Prime Speaker Zannifar, Brago, King Eternal , Vesperlark , Glen Elendra Archmage , Seedborn Muse , Soulherder , Beast Whisperer , and Commander's Sphere