|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Hour of Devastation (HOU)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Act of Heroism
Untap target creature. It gets +2/+2 until end of turn and can block an additional creature this turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Act of Heroism Discussion
1 week ago
1 week ago
Act of Heroism isn't that good, Nissa, Genesis Mage is just bad, and Naga Vitalist isn't the best mana dork in the format, so if you need a mana dork, I'd suggest something in the direction of Channeler Initiate or Servant of the Conduit. Also, Crash Through isn't that good. Maybe take out a land.
1 month ago
I think your current draft is an improvement over the previous draft, in that it looks more consistent in terms of adhering to clear strategies (wipes/Angel-tribe/voltron). There are still some cards however, I would really consider replacing:
- Crovax, Ascendant Hero: you are regularly wiping boards AND you have creatures who are already strong by themselves. That makes adding this card a bit moot, really.
- Dragon Hunter: a wall against a single dragon or a creature that is unblockable in a deck that just uses dragon creatures. That seems like waaaay too specific a card to use.
- Guardian of the Guildpact: has the same problem as Dragon Hunter, though it is slightly more powerful. In the end, this is just a wall against mono-colored creatures/spells or an unblockable creature against opponents who only use mono-colored creatures. The variation you come across in EDH is just too diverse to make such cards very useful. If you made this creature part of a deck that is specifically made to benefit from unblockable creatures, it would be another matter. But in this deck, I think it just takes up valuable space.
- Odric, Master Tactician: Odric's ability does not seem all that useful to me in a deck that wipes the board every few turns (or even every turn).
- Tundra Wolves: why is this in here? Just as a cheap creature to summon in the early stages of a game? In that case, I would really recommend something more powerful like Mother of Runes or, if affordable to you, something like Serra Ascendant or Weathered Wayfarer.
- Wakening Sun's Avatar: As this deck is about wipes, I understand why you would add this. Considering the current popularity of Ixalan though, I would not recommend it. Players using dinosaurs will not be affected by this wipe. I think Magus of the Disk would make more sense.
- Axis of Mortality : Am I correct in assuming this has been added as an insurance policy of some sort? Since your main strategy consists of wiping the board of creatures, the only consistent way other players will be able to whittle down your life total, is by using (targeted) spells. Considering that, I think it would be more useful to add Aegis of the Gods or Leyline of Sanctity instead of this card. Combined with Avacyn and your wiping abilities, this make you very difficult to defeat.
- Black Ward: did you not just remove all wards/scarabs/circles and stuff? :)
- Pacifism: in a deck that often wipes multiple creatures, I question the use of a card that puts only one creature out of action (Swords to Plowshares seems more useful in this regard; just remove the thing that is bothering you permanently).
- Approach of the Second Sun: adding this card to an EDH deck (in which you are only allowed one of these) without tutors and/or ways to draw lots of cards every turn seems extremely inefficient to me.
- Act of Heroism: I see a tendency in your deck to try and stop single opposing creatures in their tracks by giving one of your own creatures an edge (like protection or a buff to strength/toughness) over the thing it is trying to stop. Act of Heroism is one of the cards you do this with. My advice is to try and incorporate more cards that will allow you to stop all (or most of the) opposing creatures simultaneously. Even better would be to incorporate permanents that can do this all the time, because Avacyn protects those from destruction. This is why I advised you earlier on using stuff like Ghostly Prison and Norn's Annex.
That's it. I hope my comments are useful to you. Please let me know in case you would post a third draft.
With kind regards,
1 month ago
3 months ago
3 months ago
I feel like you should have more cards to untap your creatures, for an instant, Act of Heroism would seem to work well. Also, although I feel like this may be out of your price range, one or more Combat Celebrant works very well for untapping all of your creatures, in addition to giving them all an extra attack. However, I'm still fairly new, so feel free to disregard these suggestions.
4 months ago
I recommend the following changes:
Add 3 Rhonas's Stalwart, 1 Resilient Khenra, 1 Gideon's Defeat, 1 Dauntless Aven, 1 Tah-Crop Elite, 1 Vizier of the True, 1 Rhet-Crop Spearmaster, 1 Trial of Solidarity, 1 Sunscourge Champion, 2 Bitterblade Warrior, 1 Unwavering Initiate, 1 Initiate's Companion , 1 Naga Vitalist, 1 Act of Heroism.
The biggest problem of your current version is the mana curve, you have way too many mana intensive cards and very little ramp, so i would cut the 5+ CMC cards for the aggressive 2 and 3 drops from your card pool and play a more aggro version of the deck.
4 months ago
MagicalRyan good suggestions, thanks! I like Act of Heroism but I'm not sure it is consistent enough to warrant taking out a creature or piece of removal. Ahn-Crop Champion, however, seems too good for a deck like this to leave out. I might remove Rhonas the Indomitable to make room.