Creature — Beast
Vigilance, reach, trample
Whenever Elder Gargaroth attacks or blocks, choose one —
- Create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.
- You gain 3 life.
- Draw a card.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Elder Gargaroth Discussion
1 month ago
Always nice to see more jund lists in pioneer! I agree with a lot of what the two users above me have said about the deck.
That said, I have three general observations about this list that I think should be tweaked a bit.
1) Your curve is pretty high. Currently, you are running 2 5-drop threats and a whopping 6 4-drop threats. I don't think stuff like Rekindling Phoenix is good enough for the 4 mana it costs. Elder Gargaroth is a very strong card, but not having an immediate board impact makes it a lot worse, while Glorybringer can immediately attack and kill off an enemy creature.
2) You don't really have any great card advantage engines (that can play the role of Bob in the deck) which are crucial in long games. Two suggestions I have for this slot are Chevill, Bane of Monsters and Tireless Tracker. The first helps against aggro and usually requires some support from removal, while the second is more mana intensive but plays double duty as an engine and a threat.
3) A lot of your removal is sorcery speed. Excluding the 4 stomps, you only have 3 other instant speed removal spells. Stuff like Angrath's Rampage is versatile, but a 2-mana edict effect is just not that great against a lot of decks. I think it fits better in the sideboard. Bloodchief's Thirst and Dreadbore are both good cards but I think you should cut them to 1-2 copies each. 2-4 Fatal Push is definitely a must, even without the fetchlands of modern it is one of the best spot removal spells in the format. Similarly, I'd recommend some mix of 1-2 Abrupt Decay, 1-2 Assassin's Trophy, and maybe a Kolaghan's Command to round out the removal suite and replace the sorcery speed removal. Bontu's Last Reckoning also would probably do better in the sideboard against highly aggressive go-wide strategies - the card just feels like it would hurt you more than the opponent in a lot of other matchups (don't want to make the combo matchups even worse than they already are right?).
1 month ago
Terror with Henge gets it done!
2 months ago
Hey, well done for being new with your $400 version of Twincasters.
Some cards to consider adding and then I'll explain these suggestions:
- Tireless Provisioner
- Whir of Invention
- Echoing Equation
- Solve the Equation
- Junk Winder
- Risen Reef
- Yavimaya Coast
- Rejuvenating Springs
- Vineglimmer Snarl
- Bant Panorama
Tireless Provisioner is a good ramp source with repeatable Treasures. Whir of Invention is powerful to tutor for Helm of the Host at instant speed, puts it onto the battlefield and Clues/Treasures can help to pay for the colorless part of it's cost with improvise. Solve the Equation can tutor for Whirl.
Biovisionary is a creature you want to make a token of because having four Bois can be a win condition at your end step. Bio is really good with Mystic Reflection and Echoing Equation . Risen Reef is another creature you want to make a token of because each token triggers itself as well as all other copies of Risen. Junk Winder can shut down all your opponents nonland permanents, any tokens help to reduce it's mana cost to as low as two mana and if you get to make a token copy of it then the disruption gets crazy.
Here's some suggestions of cuts to consider to add the good cards in the maybeboard.
- Arcane Signet --> Rampant Growth
- Cackling Counterpart --> Saw It Coming
- Chord of Calling --> Farhaven Elf
- Green Sun's Zenith --> Ancestral Vision
- Natural Order --> Panharmonicon
- Elder Gargaroth --> Eyeless Watcher
Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
Off the top of my head...
4 months ago
Also, I'm looking for opinions on where to steer this deck if anywhere. There are so many viable Beasts that it's been hard for me to make card choices. Then you have cards like Fierce Empath which could be useful. So, advice is more than welcome. Thanks! (If someone could guide me in how to format this into a list, that'd also be appreciated. Sorry for the current format.)
4 months ago
I've typically seen Orvar decks in U/R. This build is interesting, but there are some flaws both on the macro and micro level.
In the bigger picture, you don't really have a way to win the game. Ideally in an Orvar deck, you have a few creatures that work well when copied (in U/R this would be your Goldspan Dragon s and Sprite Dragon s), but there's not really anything like that here. At least, nothing that ends the game. I think the best possibility for that would be Elder Gargaroth , because if that gets copied it's basically game over.
On the smaller level, let's look at individual card choices. Selfless Savior can easily be replaced with protection spells like Shell Shield or Sejiri Shelter Flip, which also fit the theme of targeting spells. Sea Gate Stormcaller doesn't actually work particularly well with the deck. Orvar won't trigger from the copy it makes, and you're copying pretty low-value spells in general. You have Professor of Symbology here, but no sideboard to learn from. Even if you do get some lessons, she's still not the greatest value and has little/no synergy with the deck. Charming Prince is generally a decent value card, but again, there's not really much synergy here. You don't want to be copying things with Orvar just for minor ETB value.
I think some better cards to copy with Orvar are big creatures like the aforementioned Elder Gargaroth or something that also benefits from being targeted/buffed. Maybe the new magecraft mechanic can help. Clever Lumimancer , Leonin Lightscribe , or especially Quandrix Pledgemage are all good creatures for that reason. All of these are also good independent of Orvar, though he does make them much better.
4 months ago
From your current sideboard i would only keep the 3x Feed the Swarm - its a great card for creature AND enchantment matchups.
Seeing that you run Agadeem's Awakening Flip i would surely play some creature based hate cards.
- 2x Blight Beetle - hates out heliod, humans & hardened scales & decent blicker against green fatties like Tarmogoyf , Elder Gargaroth , Tireless Tracker ... etc.
- 2x Yixlid Jailer - good grave hate
- 2x Plague Engineer - against tribal, tokens (and bloodghast)
For the rest 6x slots i would play:
- 2x Ashiok, Dream Render - good against grave decks,tutor decks (tron to a degree, titan, heliod, STORM ...etc.)
- 2x Bontu's Last Reckoning - fastes boardwipe in the format, you should only need languish in situations where you give up your board for better topdecking - in such situations, the drawback is minimal, while the cmc 3 means you can play it in time (for example even if you fail to hit land drops, or thalia is on the field ...etc.)
- 2x Damping Sphere - decent against storm, tron, izzet blitz, and the now OMNIPRESENT boros blitz.
In your maindeck you can do much better.
Viscera Seer is very underwhelming if you only have bloodghast to go with it - i would repkace them with 1x more fatal push, 1x targeted discard & 1x Vampire of the Dire Moon / Vampire Cutthroat / Shadow Alley Denizen (latter gives evasion).
And for now maindeckable lifegain is king, so contemplate running a number of Feast of Blood or Collective Brutality (i recommend the former, as its harder to partially fizzle with prowess & less punishing when countered)
And since you run fetches, i woul advise getting 1-2 Witch's Cottage for more recursion.
4 months ago
Thanks for the assist! Chandra's Ignition and Elder Gargaroth seem like excellent cards. Once I'm done with work for my university in a few more weeks I'm going to revise my deck to hopefully add in everyone's suggestions.