|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Nightmare Dragon
When Worldgorger Dragon enters the battlefield, exile all other permanents you control.
When Worldgorger Dragon leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to play under their owners' control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||zachi , Va1mar , bakeraj4 , Psycheretic , johnsongrantr , TehDelta , philktoken8998|
Worldgorger Dragon Discussion
3 days ago
Okay, brace yourself. I'm going all out.
- P.S. Sorry that my inner spike ignores price...
Cards to Cut: Show
- You don't need two 8 drops. She doesn't give global support like Avacyn, and Avy is your commander so she's already better. I say choose one (and we all know which 8 drop you should keep).
- I get the value of Shepherd, but it comes down to the same thing. You should only have one 7 drop. Pick one.
- Both are good. Just cut one. This will help curve out better and play more aggressively.
- So this card is okay, but not as good as it looks at a glance. The player has to draw 2+ cards at once, or in a similar fashion. Collector's replacement effect does not apply if a player cantrips after their draw step, or something of that sort.
- Life is not that important. Really. I get that he blocks, but Jubilation or Tithes can block too and they are overall better cards for a Staxy build.
- Great, great card. Super Stax. Only issue, is you need to have your artifacts. Tabernacleing your artifacts hurts you significantly worse than your opponents.
Maybe Mother of Runes
I know you love her, but really she doesn't contribute to the Stax theme. She "helps" curve, but I think we can do better here.
- This hurts you equally or more so than opponents. Yeah, this shuts down aggro token decks, but you need to swing with your fat fatties. The goal of this deck is to lock everybody in the game down, but giving yourself a slight advantage to get big creatures out to swing with.
- This is essentially a worse version of Aurification.
- Really this doesn't do that much. It could, but it's not worth it. A mana rock would be a better slot in, really.
This absolutely needs to go. This literally destroys everything that you set up from turn 1-10. It is such a nonbo that there is no real justifiable reason or "synergy" to include this card.
I get that this can grab any land, but it really is a waste of a turn. A lock hurts your opponents and gives you an advantage that is similar to ramp, but also makes you more and more likely to win the game. Serra's Sanctum doesn't win you the game. Make sense?
- Pseudo Stax because of the exile effect, but really I still don't think you need this. I cannot stress enough how you will always have the better and stronger creatures, so 6 mana to equip this for such a small ability isn't worth it, in my opinion.
- Cool, you get to draw some cards, but you help everyone else too!? No! This is the opposite of what you want to do. Deprive, deprive, deprive. You will have the upper hand enough that this meager card draw is irrelevant.
- This or Weathered Wayfarer needs to go. Reason being is that they counteract each other. You can keep both if you think you can play around it, but really I don't think it would hurt to let go of one or the other. Your call.
- Im sorry man, but this card is not very good. I can show you so many lands that would be better. Scrap this one.
- Really, games won't go on so long that you will have to recast Avy enough times to worry about this. Plains would just be better.
- I know this has a decent ceiling, but there will be games where you have 10 lands out and still don't get this trigger.
- This is a good card, but really I don't think it will be all that relevant. Your call, but a basic would be just as good, really.
- Really I don't know what this does for the deck, besides coming in tapped. Not trying to harp, but I don't see you using this ability hardly at all.
- This card is sooooo baaaad. It's very overrated, and it's too slow. You want to just outrun your opponents long enough until they trip. This makes you trip and your opponents catch up.
This is up to you. It can whiff hard, even more than Sky Ruin. Especially with the land destruction in the deck. I say pass on this, and I'll find you a better but similar replacement.
Cards to Add: Show
With all the artifacts you should be running, this card is great. Even without a ton of artifacts, this just tells your opponents "no".
- You might want to get rid of Ghostway, but this is great. It shuts down flicker/blink decks, shuts down Worldgorger Dragon combo, and so much more. All of my goblin cheaters, everything. This is a good card.
- Winter Orb on a creature. This should go in (all of this land hate will make sense in a little bit).
- Basically Pithing Needle on a critter. Both of those are almost as good as Nevermore, but cheaper. So they balance out.
Maybe Sanctum Prelate
- Almost Trinisphere. Again, both of those are good.
- Needs. More. Thalia.
Good graveyard hate. It does have the chance to nonbo with Emeria and maybe some others, but again, you control when to cast things. Also, you can play RIP years before Emeria. So think about what can get you more use: A card that sticks around for 8 turns, or one that sticks around for a few?
- Good combo card with RIP. I know you think it's confusing, but all it says when paired with RIP is, ", : Mill all cards in target opponent's library."
- Great taxers. You should have enough artifact ramp to negate this effect.
- This might be better than, equal, or mutually good compared to Quicksilver Amulet. Lower CMC, easier to get benefit from, but takes time to set up. This is up to you, but it is not mana intensive, meaning you can lock up the board and play stuff for free each turn. Thats huge.
- You know tons of cards to name with this card. Lands, booger creatures, etc. Plus, if you see your opponent has their commander with an activated ability, name that!
Maybe Grafdigger's Cage
- This is more graveyard hate, but really might just be a worse card than RIP. Both might be good, but really this is just a suggestion for you to see at the very least.
- Might as well deter your opponents from attacking you as much as possible. This is not a great card, but paired with all of your locks and Prison effects it nearly stops your cold.
- Hurts your opponents for playing without any repercussions on your behalf. This wrecks against mono-colored or when paired with Winter Orb
- Both this and Hokori, Dust Drinker. You will see why lands dont matter as much in this deck.
- Maybe also the moxen (Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal) because theyre free ramp
- These all are abusable mana rocks. They generate tons of mana, bypass all of the taxers you set up, and can let you get Avy, or really any of your high drops, out super early.
- I think this is a must. This lets you reuse any mana rock that generates more than 1 mana.
This is a little gimmicky, but it can turn off Winter Orb and the likes, plus it lets you reuse mana rocks again. If it had a little lower CMC then this would be an auto-include.
Remember when I said that I would suggest a better Temple of the False God? Well, here ya go. Right out of the gate it works. Yes, sac it if you play a land, but the tempo this skips you ahead is justifiable without a doubt.
- Dude, come on. Run this. Hell, maybe even run Wasteland.
This is not all that great, but after an Armageddon you get an extra body, and every bit of a lead you get makes it harder and harder for your opponents to win.
1 week ago
3 weeks ago
miracle Yeah those loot effects are basically "cantrips" here They go with my gameplan but aren't stellar, Reverberate is indeed a counterspell. Mono R only has Pyroblast and REB, the additional control help is useful. Suggestions for other dig spells would be great but I kinda ran out of ideas and hit a brick wall.
As far as Rowdy Crew and Worldgorger Dragon it might be a concern if I wasn't using feldon to make the worldgorgers, I can use that "combo" to mill myself and find any other two combo pieces I need for the win.
3 weeks ago
I would file lando under oppressive.
I hate anything that doesn't let a person play magic, and nothing will take me emotionally out of a game faster than a super oppressive deck.
I feel that if you only have fun when nobody else is allowed to play, then just play with yourself since that's all you're really doing anyway.
Back on subject, I've played in some LGS's that ban Annihilator, infect and infinite combos that don't immediately win.
I've also played where they don't allow certain commanders that aren't on the official banlist that are just too powerful.
Honestly, it all just depends on your playgroup, but I would suggest playing Worldgorger Dragon while floating enough mana to play Jokulhaups, killing everything and getting all your permanents back for the kill shot. The only thing with that strategy is someone will inevitably start running Sadistic Sacrament to get rid of it.
To answer the ramp thing, I would do From the Ashes, it doesn't count as lando, because they can get basics. There's also a card that deals x damage to opponents where x is the number of nonbasic lands they control, or something. It might not be mono-red, but I know it exists.
Also, Stoneshaker Shaman makes them sac an untapped land. Just one a turn, but enough to be annoying.
I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can think of right now.
Post Script: You might want to change your style and add another color. Mono-red is the hands-down weakest color in commander
3 weeks ago
Not having blue will definitely hurt. You lose out on Laboratory Maniac, which is the best win-condition so far for DD. There are piles you can do using black card draw and Second Sunrise. The pile is going to be a little rough since you don't get blue. Also, this one specifically requires you to open the pile a draw 2. So like, Faithless Looting. Here's the pile:
This pile works like this:
Bear in mind, you need a way to draw Night's Whisper. Black has a decent amount of card draw to get this done. Red loot spells might also get you there.
- Cast your draw 2 (Faithless Looting for ) into Night's Whisper and Lion's Eye Diamond; if you are looting, you'll need 2 extra cards, you have to keep the two you draw
- Cast Night's Whisper for to draw Grapeshot and Conjurer's Bauble
- Play Lion's Eye Diamond and cast Conjurer's Bauble for
- Crack Lion's Eye Diamond for , discarding Grapeshot
- Crack Conjurer's Bauble, do not put anything into your library, and draw Second Sunrise
- Cast Second Sunrise, bringing back Lion's Eye Diamond and Conjurer's Bauble
- Crack Lion's Eye Diamond again for
- Crack Conjurer's Bauble, put Second Sunrise on the bottom (top) of your library, and draw it
- Recast Second Sunrise
- Repeat steps 6 through 9 for infinite storm count via the Second Sunrise loop
- When you are done, crack your Lion's Eye Diamond for
- Use Conjurer's Bauble targeting Grapeshot in place of Second Sunrise to put it on top of your library, and then draw Grapeshot
- Grapeshot the table to win
This pile has a number of ways to work. It's best with Predict, but we don't have blue. The pile I listed costs total. You can play around with draw spells to get the pile moving, as a number of different things work. But bear in mind it's an awkward pile, as 4 slots are taken up in Grapeshot, Lion's Eye Diamond, Conjurer's Bauble, and Second Sunrise. If you can only draw one, you might need one of the draw 3/4 spells. Many of red's or black's draw spells hit 2 cards though, so at least the density is there.
There are other things you can do also without blue. Namely, piling a combo and winning with the combo. Worldgorger Dragon piles with Animate Dead and Faithless Looting plus some outlet are fairly common, so feel free to use George with any outlet you prefer. Even silly things Shivan Gorge work with George. Other combos which can be piled are Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker piles and winning with some Twin combo.
I haven't spent too much time exploring blueless though, to be honest. So there is likely a lot more space to tap into. Unfortunately though, losing Maniac really hurts, and it begins to make winning off DD more work than a convenience.
Hopefully this helps a bit.
4 weeks ago
Sgtpopnfreash I've asked on the beginning if I need a second creature in graveyard to stop Worldgorger Dragon loop if I have Breya on table. You sad that I can sac the tokens each time she enters the battlefield. This is the part I don't understand. I still can't see how the loop is stopped by this.
1 month ago
Like, I sort of think it'd be cool to take out ad naus, dark confidant, and doomsday and add Razaketh, the Foulblooded, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, and Reanimate. I have a big section on the write up here discussing various combos, but, you know, tl:dr I sort of think the Doomsday, Laboratory Maniac, Worldgorger Dragon, Auriok Salvagers is the best combination. Every time I think about Dramatic Reversal, I just want to play Thrasios, Triton Hero. Breya doesn't go off with infinite colorless, unlike thrasios, and you don't get to play mana elves, so you end up having to play extra suboptimal mana rocks to hit the critical mass needed for Dramatic Scepter builds. Also Breya doesn't do anything with Paradox Engine, which is the natural closest synergy with a build heavy on rocks leaning on dramatic reversal combo.
Like, see this build : Dramatic Scepter and Paradox Engine Thrasios