Creature — Dinosaur
Printings View all
|Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths (IKO)||Common|
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Frenzied Raptor Discussion
5 days ago
I have not much experience, but for me it seems like you need to focus a little. What your deck wants to do?
Do you really need all that walls and tap spells?
And that Frenzied Raptor?
1 year ago
Looks like you have a pretty solid handle on deckbuilding, so I'll just give you the main suggestion I have whenever I see Gishath decks. Cut the wimpy dinos like Raptor Companion , Frenzied Raptor , etc. That critical mass of dinosaurs is good for Gishath, but you have to weigh the benefit of drawing them any other time verses getting them for free. There's a pretty big gulf between the disadvantage of drawing that Raptor Hatchling instead of a Cultivate that would get out your Gishath two turns earlier, versus the advantage of possibly getting a Hatchling in addition to a couple six-drops that will actually impact the board. The same goes for mediocre tribal stuff like Drover of the Mighty , Imperial Lancer , and Pterodon Knight . I recommend you check out the EDHREC page for Naya. You can see the general good-stuff staples that would be better than the stuff I mentioned, or you can click on Gishath, and even chose the budget tab on his page at the top right. Good luck!
1 year ago
Yeah, there's not nearly enough lands. Think of it this way: Lands are 21% of your deck, as it is now. That's the equivalent of running 13 lands in a 60-card deck or 9 lands in a 40-card deck. You're built around an 8-mana commander, so 39 is the minimum you should be running, along with, at the very least, 8 sources of ramp.
I think these 3 videos will be very helpful for you. The first two are videos by The Professor, one on Commander deck construction, and the other on building a 3-color manabase for the format. The last one is SaffronOlive on common pitfalls in deck construction.
Next off, what you'll want to do is look at the EDHREC page for Gishath to see what other people are putting in their decks. If you're on a budget, you can also click at the top right to go to what people are playing in decks labeled as budget. Remember to include card advantage, ramp, removal that is either flexible or hits the whole table, and haymakers that will close out the game.
As for cuts, I would start with 4 to 7-mana non-dinos, since that spot on the curve will get clogged up pretty quickly, and you want to be putting expensive dinos out for free with Gishath. I would also cut Atzocan Archer , Emperor's Vanguard , Frenzied Raptor , Looming Altisaur , Nest Robber , Pterodon Knight , Raptor Companion , Raptor Hatchling , Ravenous Daggertooth , Sky Terror , Steadfast Armasaur , Voltaic Brawler , Cobbled Wings , Primal Amulet Flip, Abrade , Blossoming Defense , Demystify , Lightning Helix , Righteousness , Shock , and Slash of Talons . They're all either too narrow, too weak, don't scale up well with the creature size or life totals of Commander, or don't make sense in your deck.
2 years ago
I would suggest cutting some of the one offs and focusing on a few key dinos. Frenzied Raptor might be a good cut, along with Raptor Companion and Orazca Frillback. I also noticed a lack of ramp, if you are going to go very agro, especially with big threats like Colossal Dreadmaw and Charging Monstrosaur you are going to want to bring those down ahead of the curve. Grow from the Ashes would be a great addition.
2 years ago
2 years ago
This is my first time building an EDH deck and I was curious what could be improved.
I want to add in a boardwipe like Wrath of God or Planar Cleansing and switch something out for Wakening Sun's Avatar and then I don't have Command Tower or Reliquary Tower in and don't know if they're "required".
Arthfael208 on Dinos
2 years ago
Last comment did not work so I reposted it in a different format.
These are my recommendations:
- Tilonalli's Knight - for your commander you want mostly dinosaurs and this is not a good enough.
- Shining Aerosaur - plain dino
- Raptor Companion - plain dino
- Titanic Ultimatum - you do not need overrun effects in your dinos deck as they are strong enough on thier own.
- Deathmist Raptor - does not really do anything in your deck but is a 3/3 deathtouch
- Frenzied Raptor - plain dino
- Imperial Lancer - for your commander you want mostly dinosaurs and this is not a good enough.
- Pterodon Knight - same as above.
- New Horizons - better ramp available
- Dinosaur Stampede - do not need to add damage it is better to ramp your commander or add dinos for him to get.
- Huatli's Spurring - same as above.
- Rallying Roar - same as above.
- Slash of Talons - not really good you could go Path to Exile instead as a better removal at the same cmc.
- Coat of Arms - do not need to add damage it is better to ramp your commander or add dinos for him to get.
- Ramp cards like Skyshroud Claim or Cultivate.
- Creature ramp specifically Birds of Paradise, the elves, and Priest of Titania.
- ways to cheat in dinos Quicksilver Amulet and Elvish Piper.
- more dinos with effects you do not want plain dinos that are just a 4/3 beater you want it to do something.
- more haste enablers like Swiftfoot Boots or Urabrask the Hidden
- more removal or ways to interact with the board like Path to Exile, Nature's Claim, Wear, Austere Command, and Pyroblast
2 years ago
DarkStarStorm, Lowenstein, Trifas, and Dorotheus. Thanks for the input! I hadn't seen those cmc 3 cards. Frenzied Raptor was there as cannon fodder. I'm putting in Atzocan Seer and Thrashing Brontodon, I'm also going to put Unclaimed Territory, but putting in enough Birds of Paradise to get them early game, is a lot of money. And I'm changing the tags darkstar.... lol.