Huatli, Dinosaur Knight
Planeswalker — Huatli
+2: Put two +1/+1 counters on up to one target Dinosaur you control.
-3: Target Dinosaur you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.
-7: Dinosaurs you control get +4/+4 until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Huatli, Dinosaur Knight Discussion
1 day ago
This is my first time building an EDH deck and I was curious what could be improved.
I want to add in a boardwipe like Wrath of God or Planar Cleansing and switch something out for Wakening Sun's Avatar and then I don't have Command Tower or Reliquary Tower in and don't know if they're "required".
2 days ago
I haven't looked over the entire list but here are a few suggestions at first glance:
1) Ramp Spells --- Let's be real, Gishath, Sun's Avatar is a game-winner, so you want to get it out ASAP. You're going to want to ramp up to 8 mana before your opponents can get too many blockers on the board. Thunderherd Migration and Farseek are already in there, and both are definitely solid, but I'd honestly put in way more than two ramp spells. Consider Rampant Growth, Exploration, Heartbeat of Spring, et cetera. You want to be getting more than 1 land onto the field per turn if you can, and you want those lands to be producing more than 1 mana whenever possible. For this reason I have honestly no idea why you aren't running Wayward Swordtooth and Commune with Dinosaurs. Both of those cards would be incredible in this deck.
2) Mana Rocks --- With the number of ramp spells available in your colors you really don't have much use for artifacts that produce mana. While I agree that Chromatic Lantern is good for mana fixing, you don't really need it when you can very easily get all three colors online extremely quickly using cards like Farseek. I would immediately ditch Pillar of Origins, Fellwar Stone, and Worn Powerstone, but I would strongly recommend getting rid of all mana artifacts in the deck in favor of ramp spells. Remember, you just need to get to 8 mana for Ghalta. You'd be surprised how quickly you can do that when you're playing green.
3) Mana Dorks --- Drover of the Mighty is an auto-include for obvious reasons, so I'm glad to see it in this list. I also like Kinjalli's Caller more than most people do, so I'm glad to see that as well. I also know that you are trying to limit the number of non-dinosaur creatures in your deck. For that reason, I'd recommend just a few more non-dino dorks such as Otepec Huntmaster, Birds of Paradise, and Voyaging Satyr. Remember, if any of your lands is producing more than 1 mana through land enchantments such as Utopia Sprawl, you can have Voyaging Satyr untap it for incredible amounts of value.
4) Utility Spells --- One of the best pieces of advice anyone has ever given me in terms of deck building is to avoid any and all cards that don't directly contribute toward getting your win condition online. For this reason, I would ditch the majority of your utility spells. This includes instants, sorceries, enchantments, and even planeswalkers.
Cards that trade 1:1 with an opponent such as Disenchant work in 1v1 matches, but this is EDH. I'd take out anything that destroys a target enchantment or artifact in favor of mass artifact removal such as Serenity or Fracturing Gust. Just remember not to wipe your own creatures off the board with creature wipes. I would recommend throwing in a very small number of targeted removal like Path to Exile and Naturalize just to take out a key threat on an opponent's board, but your main creature removal should come from combat or the "fight" mechanic.
Speaking of, take out Hunt the Weak entirely. Prey Upon does the same thing (kills a creature and triggers enrage), but it costs 3 less. Pounce Might even make sense since it has instant speed, making it effectively a removal spell that triggers enrage. Just be careful not to kill your own creatures - damage dealt in "fight" doesn't wear off before combat.
5) Land --- With your lands you really want to be both ramping and fixing. For this reason, the guildgate cycle is way too slow, as is Stone Quarry. EDH gives you access to some pretty ridiculous lands, so I'd spend a lot of time looking at those. Personally I'd strongly recommend the Ravnica bouncelands if you have a way to play multiple lands in a turn, or otherwise shocklands. I wouldn't recommend fetchlands (unpopular opinion) because this deck doesn't need to worry too much about mana fixing (you get it all from your creatures and, ideally, the rest of your land base), but for that exact reason I might go with a painland or two. After all, at a certain point you may not need the colored mana, so it's usually worth it just to have a couple. You're running tricolor, though, so ultimately you'll want a lot of basics. Aim for about 35 lands total, since you should have ways to search for lands so you don't need the full 40.
6) Anthems --- I wouldn't worry too much about Anthem effects or Lords. You really want to be flooding the board with creatures, not buffing the ones you already have (though that's always nice as an aside). Cards like Strength of the Pack are usually just too slow and don't do very much for you.
That's all I could pick out at a glance. Hope this helps!
4 weeks ago
You need Pyrohemia. It is the best enrage enabler, period. It also can wipe boards since most of your creatures are higher toughness than your opponents'.
I would replace Huatli, Warrior Poet with Huatli, Dinosaur Knight. I like Lightning Greaves a lot because it protects your big dino's from spot removal and gives them haste. I think the storage lands are too slow and would cut them for lands that are faster or have better effects. Path of Ancestry is pretty great in my Gishath deck. I don't have Decimate in my deck because if no opponents have artifacts or enchantments I am forced to destroy one of my own, which tend to be high impact. I like Hull Breach better. AEther Flash is an excellent card for your enrage dinos. It also shuts down decks that go wide with smaller creatures. Taurean Mauler is a great card and counts as a dino. Congregation at Dawn is great for stacking your deck for Gishath, Descendants' Path, and Herald's Horn.
I think your most cuttable creatures are Imperial Ceratops and Thrash of Raptors. I already mentioned the storage lands. Tbh your mana base could be sped up considerable but that can get very expensive very fast. Rogue's Passage is good for making sure Gishath hits.
1 month ago
If you have any suggestions on removing or adding in cards let me know. I know One guy in the group has a Krenko deck. Another has a 5 Colored. Thats all I know for right now. thank you
Would like to keep it at a 80 Red/White Angel/Dino Deck
1x Cast Out
1x Absolute Law
1x Devil's Play
1x Angel's Tomb
1x Sol Ring
1x Mob Rule
1 month ago
Thanks BabyK and GeeksterElesh Norn, Grand Cenobite is nice but at a 7 cost, I could be dead before playing that card.
Magus of the Moat is nice, I like that one
Leyline of Sanctity definitely good for burn spells.
I have a Red(Dino) and White (Angel Deck)70 Cards right now its hard to decide what to toss and what to keepNot sure whether to do 60, 70 or 80 card deck
this is my list so far
1x Cast Out
1x Absolute Law
1x Devil's Play
1x Angel's Tomb
1 month ago
Cards to pull:
There are some other cards that aren't that great, but currently you don't have the resources to replace them.
Pick up the Huatli Planeswalker deck. It has Huatli, Dinosaur Knight who has great synergy with all dinos along with Burning Sun's Avatar, Sun-Blessed Mount, and Goring Ceratops which are all good dinosaurs themselves. And who knows, maybe you'll draw some of the dinosaurs from Ixalan that you don't have from the booster packs. Also, I'd recommend getting the Feline Ferocity commander deck from C17. It's the cheapest of the set, it's in your colors, and you can break it apart and use at least a third of the cards in there. Not many of the creatures would be of use but there are great commander staples and powerful cards in the the lands, instants, sorceries, arifacts, and enchantments in that deck. These two decks would be good options to help enhance your deck if you don't want to just go out and buy the singles you actually need.
2 months ago
I like your build here, too. How do you find Huatli, Dinosaur Knight to be working for you? Warrior Poet is great, as she can make a dinosaur token, but what I like the most about Dinosaur Knight is her -2 ability, which equates to creature removal.