|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dinosaur
|Have (13)||jstn.mrrtt , Epidilius , Cunningcrow , Fineontheoutside , mziter501 , SirFowler , mazrimtaim , Horizon97 , bakeraj4 , Pumpkinking913 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Ashy , RPG_FOX|
|Want (6)||Ob1012 , toxyxav , lestudent2112 , UniTheDino , IBWolfKnight , netdragonarchfiend32|
Sky Terror Discussion
2 weeks ago
Yeah, there's not nearly enough lands. Think of it this way: Lands are 21% of your deck, as it is now. That's the equivalent of running 13 lands in a 60-card deck or 9 lands in a 40-card deck. You're built around an 8-mana commander, so 39 is the minimum you should be running, along with, at the very least, 8 sources of ramp.
I think these 3 videos will be very helpful for you. The first two are videos by The Professor, one on Commander deck construction, and the other on building a 3-color manabase for the format. The last one is SaffronOlive on common pitfalls in deck construction.
Next off, what you'll want to do is look at the EDHREC page for Gishath to see what other people are putting in their decks. If you're on a budget, you can also click at the top right to go to what people are playing in decks labeled as budget. Remember to include card advantage, ramp, removal that is either flexible or hits the whole table, and haymakers that will close out the game.
As for cuts, I would start with 4 to 7-mana non-dinos, since that spot on the curve will get clogged up pretty quickly, and you want to be putting expensive dinos out for free with Gishath. I would also cut Atzocan Archer , Emperor's Vanguard , Frenzied Raptor , Looming Altisaur , Nest Robber , Pterodon Knight , Raptor Companion , Raptor Hatchling , Ravenous Daggertooth , Sky Terror , Steadfast Armasaur , Voltaic Brawler , Cobbled Wings , Primal Amulet Flip, Abrade , Blossoming Defense , Demystify , Lightning Helix , Righteousness , Shock , and Slash of Talons . They're all either too narrow, too weak, don't scale up well with the creature size or life totals of Commander, or don't make sense in your deck.
4 weeks ago
- Cut 2 or 3 lands. You run 10 ramp without counting doublers. Or cut like 2 lands and 2 ramp.
- Courser of Kruphix Not a dino, just play ramp
- Oracle of Mul Daya Not a dino, just play ramp
- Reclamation Sage Not a dino, dino does it better
- Sakura-Tribe Elder Not a dino, replace with ramp, dino ramp
- Sky Terror Too vanilla, replace with ramp or dino ramp
- Scroll Rack You did this in Narset, wasn't tht great
- Eerie Interlude Not enough ETBs to count, if this is to dodge wraths boros charm and heroic intervention are better.
- Cacophodon I'm not seeing where you are going to benefit from untapping a single target
- Path of Mettle Flip
- Sylvan Library it's a great card, but I think you are trying to just ramp and get your value off your commander.
- Mana Geyser To me this is best in mono red or in something with X spells.
- Wayward Swordtooth Not that great in EDH
- Raging Regisaur it's in here for ping i think, you didn't seem to keen on it.
- Privileged Position
- Asceticism this and priv pos are both for protecting, with your 90 haste enablers I'm not sure i'd worry about protecting.
- Neheb, the Eternal If this is here to go infinite/near infinite with Aggravated Assault run the whole busted mana package that goes infinite with it (or at least more than just 1) Sword of Feast and Famine , Druids' Repository , Bear Umbra , Grand Warlord Radha , Savage Ventmaw
- Whispersilk Cloak Only having one of this effect seems odd
- Signets - I like the new lockets better. More mana but later on you can sac them to draw cards. Up to you
- Atzocan Seer idk, feel like i'd rather just kodama's reach. HIs second ability could be relevant.
You're missing a bunch of the best dinosaur cards in my opinion
- Commune with Dinosaurs Early gets a land, late gets a dino. Always replaces itself.
- Thundering Spineback Only a 5/5 but is an anthem and makes more dinos
- Carnage Tyrant Literally the best dinosaur ever printed, has all of the keywords you'd ever want on it but haste
- Burning Sun's Avatar Bolts something, bolts someone, and is costed correctly
- Rampaging Ferocidon So good it's banned in standard, shuts down other creature based decks. Can hurt you but likely you are winning if this is hurting.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar If you wanna flip your deck, why not gain all the life at the same time
- Runic Armasaur It's a dino, it's prison, it's got better stats than it's mana
- Overgrown Armasaur Reclamation sage-esque but on a dino
- Kindred Summons 7 mana, basically same as your creatures, and can double your creature count at EOT....
- Overwhelming Stampede Your average power is like 10 in this deck, +10/+10 and trample on everything ends games.
- Naya Charm First mode is meh, second mode can be good, third mode allows you to take out someone
- Charging Monstrosaur haste and trample and on curve
- Bellowing Aegisaur This thing gets huge fast, but doesn't have trample
- Iroas, God of Victory Not a dino, but is combat relevant, makes it easier for your dinos to get through and win
That gets you no where near where you need to be. To me you have too many enchantments might look there more.
1 month ago
Did the Sky Terror change work well? I had some other thoughts moving along with the build you were starting with.
It seems a bit overdone on the red mana since none of your red costs more than 1 red mana+(other), and most of your deck is white. I'd drop the 2 guildgates at a minimum and put in plains, and I'd also add another plains to your deck, as it looks a little mana light.
If you'd like the mentor thing to work out a bit better, you need to beef up your Aurelia and "possibly" Boros Challenger in order to get their buffs going for you. Consider dropping another mountain or two and adding a couple Guildmages' Forum for a free buff for Aurelia. I would consider Candlelight Vigil, or some easy cast equipment to help out... Jousting Lancegets first strike with that too, good for mentors who often have more power than toughness. Dowsing Dagger FlipForebear's Blade are other decent options.
I also think the History play is neat, but has it really been changing the game for you? If it is, keep it going, but if you want to tweek with the deck a bit, I think this is another good place to do it. Your saying it combos with your Legionnaire, but even if you had 2 out, that would only mean an extra 4 damage, nice, but I think you can make your deck more powerful with another combo using your mentors, or even just going straight red spell damage. Hopefully at that time you would have out one of your bigger fliers, or add another big one like Light of the Legion(also a mentor), or go for an earlier cheaper rout with some more buffering using Parhelion Patrol.
It really depends what to add depending how you are losing. If you are losing to a sweep of your smaller guys before they get bigger, you might need to go Tajic, Legion's Edge (another mentor as well as combo too getting buffs from the guildmage land) to prevent black and red spells killing your creatures. On the other hand, if you're getting behind early in games to a more aggro deck, the change in mana will likely help, but so will having your own quick damage to take out early trouble. Lightning Strike etc instead of the big spell casts like Intervention, but easy quick for early, and still a little helpful later on to finish off a blocking creature, planeswalker, player... They are getting out more creatures than you, and you have to leave your big fliers back to defend, Sigiled Sword of Valeron or Forebear's Blade, and put the Parhelion Patrol in for sure.
Once you have a good base, you can sideboard these different sets of cards depending what types of deck you're playing against. You will probably recognize some of the people, and if you don't, you will know which deck it is after the first game.
Keep playing around with it, and have fun. It looks like you have a fun deck that can really be tough to deal with. Please keep us posted if you get it running how you'd like, and what you did to make it happen. I had fun thinking through the possibilities. Best of luck
1 month ago
3 months ago
I think you have too many instants and sorceries for what this deck is trying to do. Moreover, too many of your creatures are two-color, which makes them harder to cast. I would cut 2x (probably all of them, to be honest) Risk Factor and 2x Lightning Strike, and I would play an additional 2x History of Benalia and an additional 1x Legion's Landing Flip.
I would also probably go to just a single copy of Tajic, Legion's Edge. For additional creatures, I would put in 4x Dauntless Bodyguard and probably 2x Benalish Marshal, and maybe 2x or 3x Knight of Grace. The point is to try to increase the density of knights as your current list has zero knights for History of Benalia to target (other than the two tokens it makes).
I have been underwhelmed by Swiftblade Vindicator. I get that it is a decent target for mentor, but too often it caps at a single +1/+1 counter, and that just doesn't seem like good value. For the same mana cost, why not a flier like Sky Terror? Exact same mana cost, but it flies and has menace-- and it is a 2/2 instead of a 1/1.
Just some thoughts. Hope these help! Good luck!
3 months ago
Malikin I think he's a pretty decent beater and would be interesting to test out. Sky Terror is a better 2-drop considering he's an evasive creature and can be pumped via mentor. It might be worth running 2 or sideboarding him just to push tempo.
3 months ago
Metallic_Purple: Okay, sweet! I wanted to ask you if you were enjoying running Sky Terror. I'm consider putting either that or Relentless Raptor in the sideboard of a Boros deck I'm working on and was wondering what you thought of the card.
Sky Terror occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
RGW (Naya): 0.08%