Wakening Sun's Avatar
Creature — Dinosaur
When Wakening Sun's Avatar enters the battlefield, if you cast if from your hand, destroy all non-Dinosaur creatures.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Wakening Sun's Avatar Discussion
2 weeks ago
I think your current draft is an improvement over the previous draft, in that it looks more consistent in terms of adhering to clear strategies (wipes/Angel-tribe/voltron). There are still some cards however, I would really consider replacing:
- Crovax, Ascendant Hero: you are regularly wiping boards AND you have creatures who are already strong by themselves. That makes adding this card a bit moot, really.
- Dragon Hunter: a wall against a single dragon or a creature that is unblockable in a deck that just uses dragon creatures. That seems like waaaay too specific a card to use.
- Guardian of the Guildpact: has the same problem as Dragon Hunter, though it is slightly more powerful. In the end, this is just a wall against mono-colored creatures/spells or an unblockable creature against opponents who only use mono-colored creatures. The variation you come across in EDH is just too diverse to make such cards very useful. If you made this creature part of a deck that is specifically made to benefit from unblockable creatures, it would be another matter. But in this deck, I think it just takes up valuable space.
- Odric, Master Tactician: Odric's ability does not seem all that useful to me in a deck that wipes the board every few turns (or even every turn).
- Tundra Wolves: why is this in here? Just as a cheap creature to summon in the early stages of a game? In that case, I would really recommend something more powerful like Mother of Runes or, if affordable to you, something like Serra Ascendant or Weathered Wayfarer.
- Wakening Sun's Avatar: As this deck is about wipes, I understand why you would add this. Considering the current popularity of Ixalan though, I would not recommend it. Players using dinosaurs will not be affected by this wipe. I think Magus of the Disk would make more sense.
- Axis of Mortality : Am I correct in assuming this has been added as an insurance policy of some sort? Since your main strategy consists of wiping the board of creatures, the only consistent way other players will be able to whittle down your life total, is by using (targeted) spells. Considering that, I think it would be more useful to add Aegis of the Gods or Leyline of Sanctity instead of this card. Combined with Avacyn and your wiping abilities, this make you very difficult to defeat.
- Black Ward: did you not just remove all wards/scarabs/circles and stuff? :)
- Pacifism: in a deck that often wipes multiple creatures, I question the use of a card that puts only one creature out of action (Swords to Plowshares seems more useful in this regard; just remove the thing that is bothering you permanently).
- Approach of the Second Sun: adding this card to an EDH deck (in which you are only allowed one of these) without tutors and/or ways to draw lots of cards every turn seems extremely inefficient to me.
- Act of Heroism: I see a tendency in your deck to try and stop single opposing creatures in their tracks by giving one of your own creatures an edge (like protection or a buff to strength/toughness) over the thing it is trying to stop. Act of Heroism is one of the cards you do this with. My advice is to try and incorporate more cards that will allow you to stop all (or most of the) opposing creatures simultaneously. Even better would be to incorporate permanents that can do this all the time, because Avacyn protects those from destruction. This is why I advised you earlier on using stuff like Ghostly Prison and Norn's Annex.
That's it. I hope my comments are useful to you. Please let me know in case you would post a third draft.
With kind regards,
2 weeks ago
Hi there. There are a few things that I think you could definitely change about the deck, to make it a bit more synergistic and consistent.
In any deck running Kinjalli's Caller, you want all of your creatures to be dino's. Not only that, you want all of those dino's to reap the benefits of K-caller, by costing 1 less to cast. Sky Terror, Glorybringer, Captain Lannery Storm and Wily Goblin don't fit that requirement, and I would strongly recommend taking them out of the deck. They might seem like good cards to have in the deck because they're good cards in general, but I promise, they don't belong. There are other, better options.
I see you have Rampaging Ferocidon in the mainboard. This is a really good card, and you're smart to run it, but it really is more of a sideboard piece. Even if it's typically good against your local meta, I would still advise that you put it into the sideboard. Against some decks, it's basically a 3/3 for 3. Not what you want to be doing.
The fact that you're play boros colors makes ramping a lot more difficult. Also, it means that you don't have access to some of the best dino's that Ixalan has to offer. Still, we can make it work. Otepec Huntmaster is a great card, you should be running a playset. Also, as far as good dino's that could replace all of the cards that I suggested you take out, Burning Sun's Avatar might be okay. It seems good, Searing Blaze on a 6/6 for 6, and it might be discounted by K-caller and huntmaster. Also, if you feel bold enough, your top end could be Wakening Sun's Avatar. It probably won't be great, as you're really light on ramp and a decent curve without green, but give it a go and see if it's good.
Hope this helps, good luck.
2 weeks ago
1 month ago
the concept is original but I think you need a solid finisher in this deck. you may have disabled your opponent to play magic but you need a card that closes out games...something like the ff:
Angel of Invention -(very good card choice for your deck) since you have creatures that can be bigger.
Victory's Herald - (believe it or not, she is standard legal and she is included in welcome deck 2017) she gives you evasion and lifegain
Exquisite Archangel - expensive but it can be your lifesaver.
also some card draws (aka cycling cards), you will need those if in case you will have longer games. I hope I helped you out at least.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Well since it is casual have you considers Wakening Sun's Avatar not really good in competitive lol but really fun to drop that with your friends
1 month ago
Looks good. Here are some suggestions;
Ramp: These cards will help you get your dinosaurs out faster. Urza's Incubator, Explosive Vegetation, , FarseekTutor: These will help you get the cards you want out when you need them. Worldly Tutor, Green Sun's Zenith, Enlightened Tutor
Dinosaurs: You know you need dinosaurs and you've got lots. I would suggest you try and get some of the others from this set that would be helpful, such as regisaur alpha and Wakening Sun's Avatar.
Gods: The various gods in your colours could be extremely useful to you granting your dinosaurs additional abilities. Plus with your creatures, they are likely to be additional indestructable attackers and blockers you can use. Nylea, God of the Hunt, Heliod, God of the Sun, Xenagos, God of Revels and Iroas, God of Victory could be game winners for your board.
Those are some suggestions as to what to add. As for what to cut, I would make the following suggestions;
Equipment: You've got really strong creatures that have high power and toughness. You really don't need the equipment
Dinosaurs: You've got lots of dinosaurs, but some probably aren't that useful to your overall strategy (i.e. Ravenous Daggertooth)