Zacama, Primal Calamity
Legendary Creature — Dinosaur
Vigilance, reach, trample
When Zacama, Primal Calamity enters the battlefield, if you cast it, untap all lands you control.
2R: Zacama Deals 3 Damage to target creature.
2G: Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
2W: You gain 3 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Zacama, Primal Calamity Discussion
12 hours ago
After plenty of testing, I've decided that Legion's Landing Flip was the best choice for a 1 drop. I've also dropped Trove of Temptation and Overwhelming Splendor in favor of dino finishers. Ghalta, Primal Hunger and Zacama, Primal Calamity were what i settled on, and Carnage Tyrant remains in the sideboard though also fills that same spot as a finisher.
6 days ago
6 days ago
Some other cards I was seriously impressed with after playing with, against, or watching be played:
Tendershoot Dryad - Probably the best card in limited.
Azor's Gateway - The loot effect is insane value (don't flip it!)
Admiral's Order - I think people are really underestimating this card
Hardy Veteran - Getting the +0/+2 really messed with combat math early on in the game and forced opponents to answer the card on their turn instead of at instant speed.
Also, Ascend went off just about every game in which it was relevant. Draft is likely to be much faster than sealed, but I think ascend decks can function and perform well.
1 week ago
TheDeckMaker2300: I actually have a huge update coming to the deck next Friday. I'm adding 19 cards to the deck.
- Huatli, Radiant Champion: Flavor and she's my favorite planeswalker.
- Zetalpa, Primal Dawn: Zetalpa is a primal and is a must.
- Frilled Deathspitter: Deals 2 damage to the face.
- Ghalta, Primal Hunger: Ghalta is a primal and is a must.
- Etali, Primal Storm: Etali is a primal and is a must.
- Farseek: Not a RIX card, but I want to change around my ramp cards.
- Spoils of Victory: Not a RIX card, but I want to change around my ramp cards.
- Nature's Lore: Not a RIX card, but I want to change around my ramp cards.
- Kavu Lair: A cheaper Garruk's Packleader.
- Forerunner of the Empire: Enrage trigger and tutor.
- Polyraptor: A great enrage card.
- Pyrohemia: Enrage trigger.
- Siegehorn Ceratops: A 2 drop that gets huge fast.
- Zacama, Primal Calamity: A huge 9/9 with amazing abilities! A great commander too.
- Trapjaw Tyrant: Enrage creature that's removal.
- Wayward Swordtooth: A nice 5/5 that acts as mana ramp.
- Silverclad Ferocidons: A nice enrage creature that's removal.
- Raging Regisaur: A okay enrage enabler, but is a 4 drop.
- Knight of the Stampede: A huge reducer on a creature.
1 week ago
Thanks so much for the advice!
In my meta, I am spend significantly more money than the other three members combined. As a way to try and keep my decks from trampling them, I decided to run very little removal, and instead run things to protect my stuff. For sure a removal package would increase the power level of the deck, and the cards you suggested are great, but I will probably not include them. Also of note, Zacama, Primal Calamity can destroy creatures, artifacts, and enchantments, so removal that exiles, bounces, or forces sacrifice are preferred.
Creatures that can search for lands are good because our commander, mana doublers, and land untappers all care about lands. Also, cards like Lurking Predators and Genesis Wave care about creatures. Unfortunately, I want my ramp to get at least two lands because the deck is so expensive (5.08 Avg. CMC). If you know of anything that fits that bill would love to hear about it, otherwise I think I'll have to stay away.
The enrage creatures is a good idea that I hadn't looked into. After a quick scryfall search I found that the only one that really stands out is Silverclad Ferocidons. Any ideas on what I should cut for it?
Giving Zacama, Primal Calamity deathtouch is very appealing, and no doubt powerful, but I think I devoted enough of the deck to mana production to where it is not useful enough to cut something else.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
It hurts me to see, Gishath, Sun's Avatar in T4, I get that his build is limited and has to be build around dino tribal, but is that a bad thing. His mana cost draws him down, but once he is down he can make a lot of work, and with all the new dino support especially with enrage in ROI i think it could be T3, also since some of the commanders in T3 seems weaker to me, well at least Gishath is still the best dino tribal commander :)
I do think Oloro, Ageless Ascetic and Krenko, Mob Boss could be moved up from T3 to T2.5, Krenko has the possibility of making an insane amount of infinite combos, and i have seen some Oloro pillow fort builds that are almost impossible to stop or get through and then they drain all your life or win with their life total.
I Do see Ghalta, Primal Hunger as another T5, i would like it to be higher, but as you say, it is just a dumb beater, and with the amount of removal in commander, he wont stand a chance, especially since he does not have haste.
Zacama, Primal Calamity ability does not trigger on blinking, only casting. Food Chain would make this deck insane, as all other food chain decks. I do think his 3 abilities weigh up as they are extremely good utility,
On all other points i completely agree with you, thank you so much for the update, have been looking forward to it for a while :)
2 weeks ago
Ok, Minor Update:
- Added Unstable Legends and the missing Jalum Grifter to Tier Insanity.
- Ranked unranked Ixalan commanders as follows:
- Admiral Beckett Brass - T4 - (As much as I'd like to rank her higher, pirates have not materialized as an EDH viable tribe, and the steal effect isn't good enough to really justify running them.)
- Captain Lannery Storm - T5
- Gishath, Sun's Avatar - T4 - This is being kept out of T5 mostly because it has haste, but a little bit because you could probably use him to set up the Changeling Champion combo using Congregation at Dawn or Goblin Recruiter.
- Kopala, Warden of Waves - T4
- Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle - T5
- Tishana, Voice of Thunder - T2.5 - Tentatively putting her here because of similarities to Prime Speaker Zegana. Did anyone think up any combos or lines of play with her yet?
- Vona, Butcher of Magan - T3 - Can go in T3 if just for the board control.
- I've also made tentative placements for the Rivals of Ixalan commanders:
- Azor, the Lawbringer - T3 - There's been mentions higher up about how this guy is pretty good. I'd like to point out that his ETB doesn't stop your opponents from using instants after their turn is over, so there's nothing to stop them from waiting until the next player's upkeep to cast Swords if they want him gone.
- Elenda, the Dusk Rose - T3 - She goes infinite with Nim Deathmantle and Ashnod's Altar / Phyrexian Altar / a bunch of other cards.
- Etali, Primal Storm - T3 - This one is my favorite too. There's not much to build into since you're mostly going to be playing your opponent's deck and there's not much top card manipulation in Red, but it sure as shit looks fun.
- Ghalta, Primal Hunger - T4 - You can ramp with it using Food Chain, but you can't tutor it in mono-green and it just a dumb beater otherwise.
- Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca - T3 - You're not going to be able to do much outside of Merfolk tribal, but Merfolk are a decent tribe and her has a built in CA ability.
- Nezahal, Primal Tide - T3 - Personally, I kinda want to put this in T4 because of the mana cost, but as people have pointed out, the CA is pretty strong. Will probably just be a way for a typically blue control deck to refill their hand mid game.
- Tetzimoc, Primal Death - T5
- Zacama, Primal Calamity - T3 - I almost put it in T4 because of that mana cost, but I see what people are talking about in terms of Food Chain and blinking. There could be some combo potential here if the deck can ramp hard enough to satisfy his cost. Plus it helps that it can actually tutor FC and other combo pieces, unlike Ghalta.
- Zetalpa, Primal Dawn - T5
(Let me know if you feel I've ranked any of these guys wrong or against the running consensus.)
kyuuri117, Ummm... Hey there.
I sort of have a confession to make. I moved Prossh down to T1.5 when it was first discussed like six months ago.
Unfortunately, I accidentally only made the change on my private copy of this list that I use to test my updates, and I somehow never carried over the change to main list.
I remember logging on for a quick glance at the discussion like two weeks later and being very confused about why people were still arguing about Prossh since I thought I changed it.
Anyway, I just moved him down to T1.5. Sorry I made you argue your case three times...
(Also, wasn't there talk in that same discussion about moving Atraxa, Praetors' Voice down? I thought I did that too...)