Creature — Dinosaur
Enrage - Whenever Raptor Hatchling is dealt damage, create a 3/3 green Dinosaur creature token with trample.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Raptor Hatchling Discussion
1 day ago
xoorath Thanks so much for the comments! I've drawn a few hands and I think the mana base is still a bit off to be honest. It needs more green and the R/G and G/W dual lands, while great in Modern, aren't gonna be that good in Standard. I think I might just drop them each to a 3 of and put some Forests in, maybe with Attune with Aether to be safe.
Yeah, I had the same thoughts about the Raptor Hatchling! I've been wracking my brain trying to think of ways he could survive combat. Savage Stomp might work, but only if he's fighting a 1/1 or a 1/2, which is highly unlikely.
4 days ago
Great list of interactions. I'm going to have to see what I can steal for my recently rebuilt Divine Decree. I know Pestilence Demon is 8 mana and heavy on black but might be worth a thought. Some of the enrage dinosaurs out of ixalan might be good here too. strap indestructible to Raptor Hatchling maybe? I dunno not many of them outside of green yet...
5 days ago
TastyBeverage, agreed, I'm usually looking to play an Amonkhet cycle land Turn 1. The good thing about Caller is that you can drop it T2 and also play a Raptor Hatchling that turn, and stay ahead of curve next turn. Obviously a crap top deck too though, I'll have to try maybe 2x to start and playtest it. Good point.
6 days ago
Rile is really good, I will test with it. I'm using Chandra's Pyrohelix because I can get 2 enrage triggers instead of only 1 with Rile and if I hit a Ripjaw Raptor then there's my card draw. Also I'm not to concerned with gaining trample since I'm running Khenra Charioteer. But I'll play test with it and see.
Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming!
6 days ago
U need the new card Rile instead of pyrohelix. Also, consider Savage Stomp. Consider Raptor Hatchling, use stomp and kill one of their 1 power creatures so u get a 3/3 and hatchling stays alive. such value
1 week ago
I haven't played a standard game yet, so I could definitely be wrong, but the pacing of this deck seems too slow. Of the 11 1-Drops you have, 7 deal with creatures you control. That means, on average, you'll start with at least one card that's useless by itself until minimum turn 2. Similar problem with Heroic Intervention. Making it to mid or late game could be difficult.
Looks like most dino's are pretty expensive mana-wise, but I found some of the lower costing ones that might help your Mana Curve and Mana Ramping:
Low Cost Dinos
- Terror of the Skies: A menace flyer for 2 seems solid.
- Raptor Hatchling : This is nice since if it gets killed, you then have a 3/3 on the field, which allows you to stall and get to your bigger dinos. I'd strongly consider adding 4 of these. Card doesn't seem to link, so I put it below.
- Ranging Raptors: You should run 4 of these guys, considering you need the mana out asap. It should replace Ripjaw raptor . Combos well with Rile: attack, get blocked, use Rile. It would be damaged twice, getting you two extra lands. That would a HUGE turn 4 swing.
- Otepec Huntmaster: For obvious reasons.
- Shaper's Sanctuary might be a better side board card.
- Renegade Map: I get that Attune with Aether places the land on the field and produces energy to synergize with Aether Hub but I fear that you'll pull this too often with no green to play it. It could be a good idea to replace it with Renegade Map. AwA is much better if you have the right circumstance, but RM will work so long as you have at least one land of any color. Would pretty much come down to play testing.
- Alternatively to or along with the RM suggestion, also consider adding more Forests and taking out some of the others (esp 1 or 2 each of the duals). The main reason I suggest this is because you (currently) have a high dependence on green early game. Additionally, your dual lands share the requirement for a Forest, making Forest the preferred basic land to start with. Should you keep AwA, you can't use it turn 1 unless you pull an Aether Hub or a Forest.
- Bellowing Aegisaur: Not a fan of him unless you run mostly low cost dinos. Even then, I feel like the impact would be too little too late.
- Turn 1 - Forest > Attune with Aether > Mountain
- Turn 2 - Plains > Ranging Raptors [3 lands currently]
- Turn 3 - (Any Land) > Otepec Huntmaster > Rile on Ranging Raptors (Search for basic Land) > Attack (if blocked, another land) [5-6 lands currently]
- Turn 4 - At this point you can drop your Planeswalker, any 6 drop dinosaur (thanks to Otepec Huntmaster), or, if Ranging Raptors was blocked, you could even play your 8-Drop, Gishath, Sun's Avatar.
There are certainly other setups, but this is a really good scenario, I think.
1 week ago
@TheTindell179: I haven't had a chance to loom at them all yet but I am wanting to try brewing Raptor Hatchling: I have been trying to make a consistent Mono-red deck for a while and this might do it, though card advantage would still be a problem. I would run it with equips that add defense and every red board wipe, it would end up being a little like a Spitemare deck. But I'm gonna look at some more tonight.