|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Uncommon|
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Sphinx
When Sandstone Oracle enters the battlefield, choose an opponent. If that player has more cards in hand than you, draw cards equal to the difference.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||xXThormentXx , Mousemke , , LeroyJones , bakunet , Supremespeed , NobleSlay3r , releasethedogs , XxCataclysmiCxX , itheoryz , PTsmitty|
|Want (38)||jpc852 , Pylioz , foxboy93 , acbooster , CaptianClueless , Aceleron , IcyLetters , Niroh , Sadert , TevishSzat , awfulNeutral , InfiniteMartyr , niner80 , Thotny , starkzero , keudhor , fancysaurus , oryandaw , xXThormentXx , Stovetop617 , zephyrmoth , NobleGhost117 , Jspeed , getyourrebelon , PopeJonIII , MxStoneheart , MoxFlux , frostotron , CrustyCraig , Awuztein , NivStormfront , gershom , Hylianpirate , SaltySpecula , gplocke , Cunningcrow , Archmage_Aramil , scsrhino|
Sandstone Oracle Discussion
4 hours ago
Really liking this deck. It's what I've been looking for in a mono red commander list. I wanted to see if you've tested or thought about a few cards.
Has Feldon of the Third Path ever been in the list? He seems like he'd fit right in.
What do you think about Warstorm Surge ? Too expensive? It seems like a powerful effect, but maybe it doesn't do enough when you are behind.
Lastly, what do you think about Sandstone Oracle over Magus of the Wheel? Oracle is more expensive to cast, but you don't need to worry about summoning sickness, the draw is one sided, and it has synergy with Goblin Welder.
1 week ago
You're not wrong, If I had a copy I might play it and be happy. From my experience with the deck though I can say that New Kozi isn't as far off mark from old as you may think. The Colorless restriction isn't an issue going off of how many symbols there are in the deck. Half the time you're grabbing him off of your Conduit of Ruin ETB trigger, so if I wasn't in the position to either cast him, or would not net many cards, I would grab Sandstone Oracle instead. And that choice aspect really helps with these situational cards. And yeah, Annihilator 4 is dope, imagining a world where you get the cake and eat it too is a bit optimistic. New Kozi's counter ability is something completely unique to him and can be used right away, and 50% of the time I will be drawing 4 or more cards so comparing them becomes arbitrary. It's an interesting one, if I ever get an OG I wouldn't be against trying him. I will say that you may not know true happiness until you've countered a Cyclonic Rift by discarding a Marble Diamond. ;p I agree about Magus, he's one of those guys I didn't understand and traded away and now I regret that lol.
1 week ago
Alright can definitely give you some ideas than Salinas29!
Since you are playing in large pods some cards that can definitely help you would be:
- Neheb, the Eternal - Highly recommend this card!
- Etali, Primal Storm - In multiplayer pods this card is devastating!
- Vial Smasher the Fierce - Great card all around.
- Viashino Heretic - This is if you play in a artifact heavy meta.
- Twilight Prophet - Card draw and damage, love this card a lot.
- Lobber Crew - Decent effect if you have a lot of multicolored spells.
- Pyrohemia - Semi board wipe effect but also cost reducer for you.
- Pestilence - Black version of above one.
- Sunbird's Invocation - Extremely fun card to play with.
- Sarkhan's Unsealing - Can get really nasty real quick, plus low cost.
- Fiery Confluence - All modes are relevant in this deck.
- Angrath, the Flame-Chained - Control and reducer, a bit high on CMC though.
- Chandra, Torch of Defiance - An all star, ramp, reducer, and card draw.
Now for the big creatures that can provide additional utility effects, here are some cards that can be considered:
- Conduit of Ruin - Allows you to grab creatures and additional cost reducer.
- Void Winnower - Hate piece and a big filthy creature.
- Steel Hellkite - Beater that can destroy a lot of good stuff.
- Combustible Gearhulk - Card Advantage (CA) or cost reducer, win/win.
- Sandstone Oracle - Hand refill on a stick.
- Garna, the Bloodflame - Semi recursion in case of a boardwipe.
Importantly as well is to have some early game plan, ramp, CA, and utility spells. Here are some cards that can be also considered.
- Rakdos Charm
- Blasphemous Act
- Chandra's Ignition
- Go for the Throat
- Chaos Warp
- Reforge the Soul
- Phyrexian Arena
- Dark Ritual
- Culling the Weak
- Sol Ring
- Fellwar Stone
- Talisman of Indulgence
- Commander's Sphere
- Chromatic Lantern
- Mass Hysteria
The best route if you want to inflict a lot of pain is going for the big Eldrazis but I won't list them as they are quite expensive even after the reprint in UMA. If you can pick them up than definitely go for it! They are absolutely filthy creatures that would make people cry :3
Aside from that feel free to ask for any additional help, I love helping people tune their decks!
2 months ago
Rogue's Passage to make sure that big damage gets through. Cavern of Souls so your Eldrazi can't be countered. Sandstone Oracle, not really on theme but is a great lil colorless card. Belbe's Portal to cheat some Eldrazi out. Tomb of the Spirit Dragon for some life gain and should be pretty good in this deck. Sanctum of Ugin for a tutor when your good on lands.
3 months ago
I run Conduit of Ruin in all my non-blue EDH decks. I include Sandstone Oracle and Kozilek, the Great Distortion as colorless ways to get card advantage that are tutor-able. I call this my Conduit package, and I love it, and I suggest it to anyone who is having trouble Ramping and Drawing cards. (Lookin at you )
3 months ago
So I haven't been playing for very long but in my time I have noticed some cards that are great in just about any deck and have become staples in my decks.
A few I have really grown a liking to:
Mirage Mirror. So versatile.
Sandstone Oracle. Refill your hand and possibly more. Great little beater and blocker.
If running : Void Grafter. Throw out a body to save another for pretty cheap.
A new one: Forge of Heroes.
Your turn. I want to know what you guys deem 'staples out of the ordinary'.
3 months ago
Pinkie_Satanas, I agree that loyal apprentice is better than young pyromancer here but I'd definitely try to play both instead of one or the other. Regarding Sandstone Oracle, I like it in most multiplayer decks that play Mishra's Workshop, sol lands, and fast rocks. As you mentioned, it has good synergies with cards in the deck (namely, welder and daretti), which is why I keep it. That Chandra let's us accomplish multiple things--get additional grenzo triggers with her +1 and draw cards with her 0--but I'd say it's harder to get her on the board than it's to get Oracle, and Oracle is immediate card advantage. I'd test her (have not done that in the past, I don't think) but honestly think that Oracle is better in multiplayer. (I don't ever think it's correct to build an edh deck either bottom-up or top-down. I tend to build my decks balancing bottom-up and top-down ideas, so that I can use a few things that synergize well with my commander when it's available but when I cannot rely on my commander, I also have a few things that can keep me in the game, and Oracle goes in the latter direction.)
Yeah, I don't like Temple of the False God and I think it should never be played in a competitive list because you want things rolling way before you get other 4 lands into play. It also doesn't work well with bombers and ruination. The only real alternatives to workshop are sol lands--ancient tomb and city of traitors. Scavenger grounds might be a good option against gy-based strategies but that's meta-dependent.
I've had way too many bad experiences with Chaos Warp and decided I'd never play it again. It's probably okay against cEDH decks, as most run a whole bunch of nonpermanents but holy damn, it feels bad to remove something and put something way worse into play. Enchantment-based decks are a pain in the ass for this deck, and if your opponent starts sitting on prison effects, your best bet is to plan on burning him (I've killed many players that way with a spikeshot elder behind a mana doubler, like Gauntlet of Might, and a sword) or hit another opponent to find mass bounce/removal spells to cast. We've bad matchups, and that's one of them. Don't think it's a reason to play Warp because chances are that the Ghostly Prison will become something much more troublesome, like Mirari's Wake.
Mizzium Mortars is an interesting replacement for Rolling Earthquake, now that it doesn't hit walkers anymore. Tremors is horrible with all our artifacts, and personally, I don't think Jitte belongs to any multiplayer list. It's great in 1v1 but doesn't do enough in multiplayer. Stay with the swords, especially feast and famine.
3 months ago
Hello ^^ I haven't put my version in tappedout yet, but I'll do it as soon as I can! The changes I tried over your version are minimal for now. I'll list them one by one:
1) in Loyal Apprentice, out Young Pyromancer. The few times I've played pyromancer I haven't been impressed at all, while the apprentice have been an overperformer. Maybe it's a matter of playstyle, but I've come to appreciate haste a lot. I was also considering taking out Thorn of Amethyst so it's probably worth to have pyromancer instead, as cheap token producers are very good in this deck, although I'm still not quite sure if pyromancer scales as well as apprentice as the game goes on; apprentice topthers having haste and flying is huge to push in grenzo triggers.
2) Took off Moggcatcher for Glorybringer. As an standard red player I've been consistently impressed with the dragon. The way I see it, it's a heavy hitter, able to push in damage and get grenzo triggers on late game fast, that sometimes kills stuff. I haven't drawn it yet so I'm gonna consider this a flexible slot, and try some other alternatives over time. Stolen Strategy feels also like a good replacement for moggcatcher, as both are grindy cards.
3) took off Sandstone Oracle for Chandra, Flamecaller. I see why the oracle is here: helps catching up, can't be easily casted with our colorless fast mana, has a nice flying body, and can be quite grindy with Daretti, Scrap Savant or Goblin Welder. However, in my experience it rarely does enough if you are not in a dedicated Daretti deck. 7 mana is a lot and unless you have some player going crazy on the table, the draw etb is not that good if you can't consistently recurr it. The fact that it dies to artifact removal is huge too. Put in Chandra instead cause is 1 mana less, the 0 ability is a very consistent way to get you cards, the tokens she produces have haste and help with grenzo triggers (they are also great sac fodder, and as Spawning Pit has been super good the few times I've play it, I'm super happy to have more psinergy with it), they close games very quickly too. Chandra also is a board wipe in a pinch and very good to have in play when you Jokulhaups. I still haven't got to draw an play the card but as the deck generates lotta tokens to defend her, I feel it's gonna be decent, what do you think?
3) Alternatives to Mishra's Workshop. Put in Temple of the False God cause it felt similar, but it leds to some feel bad moments so I'm considering taking it off. Crystal Vein is always a mana source that can give you a burst when needed, and Scavenger Grounds doesn't ramp you but it's such and easy inclusion to hate on graveyards, something the deck lacks.
General considerations! Man I miss Chaos Warp so much in this deck. It's an answer to Ghostly Prison effects that are very bad for us, walkers that bolt can't hit, indestructible eldrazis, stuff that our damage base removal can't kill... I feel those represent the three things this decks is weaker against: ramp to big creatures strategies, dedicated token strategies (with green) and pillow fort. The last feels less problematic cause generally pillow forts are annoying to everyone on the table so other players are gonna also throw removal at them. But I feel we are kinda hopeless against lotta big dudes cause almost none of our removal can si anything about them and our creatures are to small to trade. Token strategies present a wall of chunk blockers that's hard to attack into, that eventually get very big and ran over you quite easily.
I'm putting cards like glorybringer or chandra in the deck to be able to disrupt those strategies and kill them as quickly as possible. I just wanna as much cards that can act as removal as I can get Xd so I have Mizzium Mortars, Subterranean Tremors and Umezawa's Jitte in my radar. The freaking jitte is in my binder looking at my with puppy eyes asking me to play it, such a great card, does so much! Bolt is the card I'd maybe take off for any of those but I'm still not sure at all. And sorry for the wall of text. I love the deck and I'm putting a lot os thought and work into it :P Tell me what you think. Did you consider any of these cards?