Creature — Bird
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Common|
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Healer's Hawk Discussion
4 days ago
This deck functions both as a creature aggro deck and as a midrange deck. For this reason Healer's Hawk and Leonin Vanguard fit both roles perfectly as they are early beaters and give you the important gain life trigger and most importantly allow you go get the trigger each turn. While Ajani's Welcome only allows you to get a trigger when you cast a creature, which will happen less often the more the game goes on. And also it does nothing for the aggro element of the deck.
I was skeptical of Fountain of Renewal as well, but it gives you reach in the form of getting the trigger every turn while you wait for your creatures to get big enough to crush your opponent which can be pretty handy on the defense. Also 4X Bloodthirsty Aerialist are already in the deck.
1 month ago
Cards such as Hooded Blightfang, Clackbridge Troll and Mangara, the Diplomat are all unnecessary in this deck. If you are looking for card draw, running 3-4 Dawn of Hope would work. As for Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose running 3, would be optimal. Another card that could work well in this deck is Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis. Also Lone Rider Flip and Healer's Hawk are better than Vampire of the Dire Moon and Soulmender in my opinion.
1 month ago
If you'd like some inspiration for your list, I have 2 Orzhov lists you can look at that I like. This one is more in tune with what you're looking to do, this other one is more based discouraging the opponent from doing anything by playing cards that make them lose life for interactions. Might be worth checking out!
- Baneslayer Angel (Good in a vacuum, not great for what this list wants to do. A touch too slow.)
- Tymaret, Chosen from Death (Too cute. Functionally he doesn't bring you closer to your Vito win-con, and his ability isn't really what you'd want to be spending mana on to do so.)
- Ill-Gotten Inheritance (I see what you're going for here, but it also feels too cute. It's not bad, just not fantastic either.
- Basri Ket (He's just making bad cards better. He's unnecessary for your Vito win-con.)
- Evolving Wilds (This can easily be swapped for Fabled Passage, does the same thing but can have lands enter untapped.)
- Radiant Fountain (You're not going to be finding this on the draw, and doesn't really help you otherwise. Might as well swap that for another Swamp)
- Scoured Barrens and Temple of Silence (All for these, but for the amount of 1-3 drop creatures you're looking to play, it would seem like you're going to be running into some mana issues. Would absolutely put in some Godless Shrine for this list since you can just heal back the damage it deals anyhow)
- Griffin Aerie (Another cute card. I get what you're going for with it, but I don't know how well it helps you get into your Vito win-con.)
- Light of Hope (Feels a bit niche. Not quite cute, just niche. There's likely better cards than this.)
As a general note, decent cards that make bad cards better aren't the answer. Look at how your win condition is typically met, and find more direct and impactful ways to influence it.
Cards You Got Right
- Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose (Duh)
- Heliod, Sun-Crowned (Definitely works in your favor, just gotta watch out for your devotion.)
- Mangara, the Diplomat (Interesting card, definitely can serve as a nice draw engine against aggro decks)
- Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (He's great utility, and 100% sets you up to get a bunch of Vito triggers)
- Healer's Hawk (Staple lifegain creature, is super easy to get down and make use out of)
- Heartless Act or Eliminate (Could be a replacement for Mortify, as both are cheaper and have a little more use)
- Fabled Passage (See above for Evolving Wilds)
- Godless Shrine (See above for Scoured Barrens and Temple of Silence)
- Rhox Faithmender (A nice addition to the list, makes the Vito triggers hit even harder)
- Ajani, Strength of the Pride (Nice way to gain life, and he can easily sweep the board if he needs to)
- Ajani's Pridemate and/or Bloodthirsty Aerialist (Plays into that 'Whenever you gain life, put a 1/1 on a creature' thing you seem to like)
2 months ago
Vampire of the Dire Moon gives you some removal and lifelink. I would go down to at most 2 each of any legendary creatures you have. Maybe more for Vito since he is integral to causing damage when you gain life. I would replace all Indulging Patrician with Healer's Hawk. You can get them out way faster and having a flying lifelink buffed sooner is better. Then you can use Alseid of Life's Bounty for his sacrificing instead to keep your big hitters alive.
2 months ago
Nice deck. It might be an idea to introduce some more one drops here, preferably with lifelink so you can get the lifegain going early. Healer's Hawk, Vampire of the Dire Moon and Banehound each fit this nicely, and each bring something a little different. Hawk might be useful since you don’t really have many ways of dealing with fliers, the Vampire having deathtouch can scare off a lot of aggression (although might not be necessary, depends how much life you’re gaining), and Banehound offers very strong aggression.
If you’re going for a token deck, Anointed Procession feels like it should be worth considering. However, I feel that at the moment the token elements of this deck are quite slow and expensive. Something like a Leonin Warleader might be a better option, since it makes the tokens without requiring more mana to be put in, plus the tokens have lifelink. Cubwarden does a similar job, with more immediate effect, but you might need to run more non-humans to make it work. Ajani, Strength of the Pride also seems pretty good, since it has a direct lifegain ability that will scale with the size of your board, the ability to make tokens of possibly the best card in a lifegain deck, and an emergency reset button should you ever need it. As a final token card, Crested Sunmare can be great for closing out a game with big, indestructible beaters. Plus, it can make extra tokens if you gain life on your opponents turn as well.
Hope this is helpful to you, and good luck with the deck.
2 months ago
Oops, I, for some reason, thought that Setessan Training and Cartouche of Strength gave me reach, not trample. Trample is kinda useless for my cards unless I have an absolutely gargantuan card. I'll rely upon giving buffs to my 1/1 lifelink cats more and attacking en masse, which if I have enough, could translate to a gigantic P/T Ajani's Pridemate or Pride Sovereign, so trample isn't way off. I just want to protect against flying, as they could begin the game with something like Healer's Hawk and continually sap my life-points with things like Angels or Blue and/or White Flying decks, which would make my deck completely pointless. Maybe something like Angelic Gift with its draw power and flying buff that only costs 2 mana?
3 months ago
Mutate is a really interesting mechanic that I expect to find a place in modern, even if it never reaches tier 1. Modern already has some wild 1 drops, and attaching, say Parcelbeast to a Steppe Lynx can start looking cool- its just a question of the right combination being found to power the deck.
I'd focus on low cost mutate cards, 1 drops to mutate them on that either protect a powerful mutate effect or multiply it, and mana dorks as backup mutate targets.
Auspicious Starrix will likely win you the game if your opponent cannot remove it. Gemrazer to back that up will offer a lot of blowout potential. Most of the lower tier mutate creatures could work with the right synergy picks in the rest of the list.
In terms of 1 drops to examine, Glistener Elf and Slippery Bogle for efficient voltron, as well as less conventional voltron like Spikeshot Elder or Vector Asp, Young Wolf returns all its creatures seperated to the battlefield with +1+1 counters, Blistercoil Weird and legendary spell recursion point to a jeskai spellslinger, Signal Pest+ a white go wide list, Arcbound Worker/Servant of the Scale/Simic Initiate/Hardened Scales and +1+1 counters could get pretty out of hand.
Hedron Crab land drop mill is a cute option, Permeating Mass will make people call for the judge, but isn't actually any good. Some +1+1 counter synergies will likely let you abuse some mechanics like Devoted Druid's untap, if you can find the combination.
Keyword piles like Banehound Healer's Hawk, abilities like Figure of Destiny or 'conditional' P/T boosts like Scute Mob could make for a decent beatstick if you can spend two cards on it - Gnarlwood Dryad, Toolcraft Exemplar Wild Nacatl, Loam Lion could all find places in some lists,as they are already efficient and pushing them out of kill range for lightning bolt/anger of the gods may be relevant.
Mortician Beetle with the bat strapped to it is a great casual clock.
None of these are crazy effecient, but building a list of sixty cards that all sorta work together is the heart of brews like this.
All told though, its a bit of a mess where the best bet is to pick two colours with 2/3 mana mutates, and throw them on creatures which protect them while hunting for stirix. Trying to stretch into more colours will pressure a budget manabase very hard. Keeping to mostly green with basic searching to fix for a second colour will ease that process a lot- especially with dorks like Avacyn's Pilgrim or Elves of Deep Shadow.