Creature — Elemental
When Tornado Elemental enters the battlefield, it deals 6 damage to each creature with flying.
You may have Tornado Elemental assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Tornado Elemental occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Tornado Elemental Discussion
4 months ago
I could see cutting a couple of top end, cmc wise, cards to run a little more interaction. But that's just my tastes most likely.
6 months ago
The "panorama" lands also trigger Landfall twice in a round. They are legal with any commander because they don't show mana symbols.
Elemental Mastery is great if a one big guy is getting chump blocked. Turn him into a swarm. Even better if you have Elemental tribal stuff going on.
9 months ago
Sol could replace Anger because without having a consistent way to discard Anger it's lackluster for a four drop. Battledriver/Crasher are better four drops for giving haste. Because of so many Forests consider Orcish Lumberjack replacing Tornado Elemental? By sacing one Forest after tapping it for mana with Lumberjack that Forest makes four mana. It's a fast way to ramp into Omnath. Tornado is the least good of the high CMC creatures and there's a lot of high CMC creatures here.
Consider Fierce Empath replacing Rubblehulk? Budget tutor for Avenger, Multani, Ulvenwald or any other 6 CMC or higher creature. Consider Primal Command replacing Crash of Rhino Beetles? Ten lands is a lot of lands to make Beetles worth five mana. Solemn Simulacrum is the lowest price it's been in a long time; it was reprinted in the Mystery Booster Cards set.
Good luck with your deck.
1 year ago
Hi, I hope that at least some of what i'm going to put here will be useful, and even if you don't use any of my advice then maybe you will be able to see where I am coming from and use the logic to find your own improvements :)
As the previous commenter has suggested the amount of ramp spells that put lands in to play in your deck is a bit to low for a ramp deck especially one that has subthemes of landfall. Typical commander deck building suggestions say that you should have 10 pieces of ramp to tide you into the midgame. This goes for any deck, not just ramp decks. In ramp decks you will want more. At my count you have 12 ramp cards that are reusable (ie, aren't the one shot sacrifice elemntals) this will want to be more really, with a focus on them being ones that put lands in to play. Another of note, is that cards like Zendikar Resurgent don't really count as a ramp slot, as by the time we can cast it, we have a lot of mana already. 'Ramp' cards are ones that you want to see in your opening hand to get you into your game plan faster.
For this reason I would look into replacing some of the creature based ramp and some other low impact cards with this ramp that will get us executing our main game plan faster and better.
These can all be easily replaced with land based ramp spells as they don't get you any further ahead on mana than 1 land, or are one shot abilities when we want to be dropping big things multiple times over multiple turns.
Smokebraider Is unique because it produces 2 mana for only 2 investment, but only if we focus in on elemtals so can be left on a short list to be evaluated. We'll list other potential cuts later when looking at more over all deck evaluation.
The previous commentor has provided a list which at first glance seems to be comprehensive enough to provide some ideas for what to add.
More conventional commander wisdom suggests that you have at least 5 ways to directly interact with your opponents game plan. I personally nearly always play more than this, but you should have at least 5. This direct interaction is preferred to be the targetted simgle response cards that can remove threats in any shape or form. Of note, this removal count is seperate from the count of mass removal. At my count you have Song of the Dryads , the down tick of Domri, Anarch of Bolas and Ingot Chewer as easily accessable removal. Things like the trigger from your commander or things like Magmatic Force are more incedental as you can't rely on them doing what you want when you need it.
Cards that could be added in this slot are many. But it is a good idea to have as many as you can being generic answers to anything, but also you need to make sure that they are ones you can realistically weave into your game plan instead of leaving up those answers at all times. This is mostly a balncing act that is where fine tuning comes in from playing the deck. But potential recommendations for all purpose would be Beast Within and Chaos Warp . After that they become more specific but can be cheaper in mana,
- Nature's Claim
- Domri's Ambush
- Force of Vigor
- Krosan Grip
- Hull Breach
- Broken Bond
- Reclamation Sage
This may seem counterintuitive, seen as you are planning on being the big creature deck that wants the board presence. But sometimes the opponents boards just need answering (Not to mention that you might end up getting a lot of elemental death triggers from Omnath). As such having 2 or 3 creature wraths might be worth trying. And having 2 or 3 artifact and enchantment wraths will be good to have access to aswell. Something you already have so I assume you already know.
Creature wraths to consider in green red include
- Blasphemous Act
- Chandra's Ignition
- Chain Reaction
- Savage Twister - This one is representative of X cost ones that are interesting to try as it gives you the oppertunity of clearing out small creatures while keeping yours alive if you would prefer. Another one that can also be used to finish of players is Rolling Earthquake
You already have the cards for mass removing artifacts and enchantments so I won't bother listing any more.
One of the most common recommendations I have to make to people about their deck is to up the amount of card draw or selection in their decks. There is no point in having sweet cards and synergies in here if we never get to see them! Normally I recommend having 10 ways of drawing cards in your deck, with some of them being repeating and some being one shot. At my count you currently have 7 (Or 8 if you count Praetor's Counsel which can do effectively a similar job), so you are nearly there but I would recommend adding a couple mr just to smooth out the deck running.
- Harmonize is the most obvious recommendation withit being notorious for its colour pie break with not haveing a restriction based on creatures or similar.
- Horn of Greed is universal, but we should be getting more value from it.
- Greater Good is amazing if you keep having big creatures to sacrifice. Thankfully due to our commander triggers, we do!
- Chandra, Flamecaller can cover multiple bases of what we need, it can be counted as both a wrath AND a card draw engine :) IT also even makes elementals (of note, they get exiled at end step instead of dieing so you won't normally get Omnath triggers. Sacrificing them to Greater Good though....... )
- Rishkar's Expertise can be great card draw as you don't need to take a full turn off to refuel, you still get to cast something that costs less, which could be that removal spell or something you needed!
These overview sections are recommendations for generic cards that could go in. From here on, we will be looking at more specific card options, and possible cuts from the existing deck
Now, again as the previous commentor mentioned, there are multiple ways you can take an Omnath deck. My take on them being
- RG Big thing Ramp. No specific synergies in mind except for incidental ones like, I need land to cast my big spells, and this card cards about land. Not a bad deck by any means, just less commander or theme focused.
- Elemental Tribal Ramp. This seems to be closer to what you are currently going for. Similar to the RG ramp deck, just with tribal synergies from elementals
- Landfall / Lands Matter. Here we are focusing on many landfall triggers, and keep cycling our lands round and round to get them. This deck will likke having access to things like Crucible of Worlds and many effects like Exploration
Here, i will suggest some cards for each of them and maybe later on if you want we could look more into one or a mix of these strategies.
- Ruric Thar, the Unbowed This card is very very powerful. Expecially as the decks around you get more and more powerful and wanting to do more combo and storm bsaed strategies.
- Gruul Ragebeast A good way of keeping the board under control when you play your 'large and incharge' creatures
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger We have mana, they don't. Enough said really. Just beware that with this creature, sometines the adage If you can't remove the problem, remove the player can be applied to just killing you.
Other than ones recommended here, perhaps a good idea would be to use Gatherer or mtg.wtf to find elementals in your colour. Or cards which reference elementals in your colours, the example in wtf would be this
- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame can rebuy your ramp spells and can make elementals that will die to trigger Omnath.
- Chandra, Awakened Inferno A wrath that doesn't kill elementals and can provide a reasonable clock on the game with her uptick.
- Omnath, Locus of Mana Store mana for a rainy day. Or for hitting your opponents upside the head with it. Both work.
- Parallel Lives Double the tokens, double the elementals, double the damage. We like.
- Tornado Elemental clears out any things like Dragons, or Flying Slivers or similar. Also good at picking of planeswalkers as it has sudo unblockable.
- Liege of the Tangle we can go REALLY all in on making all our lands elementals and meaning that if someone wraths us we can basically kill everyone from Omnath triggers
- Budoka Gardener Ramp early game, big guys late game.
This deck idea might have elements that are closer to a combo deck than the others, but will still mostly be a midrange deck.
- Perilous Forays With your commander out this card is bonkers. But if we are making other elemental tokens too then we can truly get going somewhere
- Crucible of Worlds , Ramunap Excavator , Life from the Loam Allow you to play the lands from your graveyard after we have sacrificed them for effects. Also makes always hitting your lands drops easier if you are playing and sacrificing a fetch land
- Exploration , Azusa, Lost but Seeking , Oracle of Mul Daya all ways to play more lands per turn
- Cavalier of Flame can be card draw and synergizes with lands in graveyard. As well as being an elemental!
- Scapeshift lots of triggers all at once
- Splendid Reclamation if we are sacrificing lands then this gets them all back. Very good after a scapeshift
- Amulet of Vigor makes some of our ramp a lot more effective, while at the same time providing a good combo with Perilous Forays and Omnath, Locus of Rage Of recommendation if you run a lot of land recursion effects then other lands that sacrifice themselves might be worth it. Like Wasteland Strip Mine etc
I won't re-list the cuts recommeneded in the ramp section. I will be evaluating cuts in the assumption that the deck is wanting to be a combination of an elementals ramp deck and a lands value deck. A lot of these recomendations for cuts will have very similar reasonings, which I will elaborate on first to be able to be brief later on. These recommendations will possibly sound rather brutal, however I find that it makes it a lot easier to have too many cards that are on the cutting block rather than not enough.
- Too Slow. If the card takes too many turns to start pulling its weight then it could be replaced with something that does what we need sooner. This is common in cards which have 'at the beginning of your upkeep' effects as they will normally have to wait an entire turn cycle to start doing something. Enters the battlefield triggers or similar things that have an effect the turn you play them are often preferred.
- Too expensive. This should be self explanatory. If the card costs too much mana, especially if the same effect can be achieved for less mana then it should be exmined.
- Doesn't do enough. While the effect might be interesting and maybe something we actually want in the deck, The card just doesn't pull its weight in whatever role it is supposed to be doing
- Doesn't contribute to our game plan This might be a good card, maybe even a great card in other decks. But perhaps the effect just isn't one we need in this deck
- Cytoplast Root-Kin Too slow. Doesn't contribute to our game plan.
- Dragonmaster Outcast Too slow. Doesn't do enough
- Grazing Gladehart Doesn't do enough. While we like landfall triggers. The life gain is small enough to be negligable unless we are massrecycling all lands from our yard multiple times.
- Magmatic Force Too Slow.
- Magmaw Doens't contribute to our game plan / Doesn't Do enough. We can run other sac outlets if we want ways to sacrifice our elementals
- Scute Mob Possibly too slow. But I love me a scute mob so I'm fine with this staying in :D
- Spawnwrithe Doesn't do enough. However this one can stay in if you have found that you realistically get to connect with it at least twice to have four of them
- Tendershoot Dryad Doesn't contribute to our game plan. Though it is very good at gummin gup the board
- Tyrant of Discord Doesn't do enough. However if you change to having some ways to knock your opponents off of lands then the chances of this hitting multiple nonlands go up and its value does too. However there are enough control players where the onlything this will do is destroy a land at random
- Undergrowth Champion Deosn't do enough. It's got all the right keywords but thats about it
- Retreat to Kazandu Doesn't do enough. THe landfall idea is good, but putting 1 counter an a guy once or so a turn isn't worth the slot really
- Sword of the Animist Too Slow. We want this effect, but we aren't attacking multiple times in one turn so there are better effects to get lands from our deck. We don't neccessarily even have than many small creatures to equip this too to get it active early enough for the ramp to be that useful as ramp
- Animist's Awakening As much as i want this spell to ever be good. It's just not really at all.
- Journey of Discovery Too slow. For this to be actual search out ramp you need to entwine it which is then 6 mana. Any of the 4 mana double basics would be better here. Or just Explore type effects that cantrip too.
Turns out there is only slightly too much Nissa. (And not enough Chandra ;) ) All of the Nissas' contribute to our gameplan well except for Nissa, Voice of Zendikar . The general rule of Planeswalkers in commander is to assume that you will only get two activations if you are lucky. So with this one you will at best buff your team a little. Consider Garruk Wildspeaker instead maybe?
Other random Card Recommendations
- Boundless Realms All the rest of our lands from our deck? Yes please
- Sylvan Awakening We do this, then we overrun and nobody will be expecting it
- Genesis Wave As previously mentioned. It's the better Animist's Awakening
- The Mending of Dominaria More mass land recursion.
Well I hope some of this helped at least a little :)
1 year ago
Love the concept! gota couple suggestions, figured I'll accordian them to keep from filling up the whole page.
Predator, Flagship is costly, but lets be honest - mono-green doesn't care about that. giving flight for troops to evade or block, anti-aircraft cannons, and the tractor beam to lift up enemy ground-pounders, this colorless removal engine is worth evey mana spent on it.
Arena + Combat step: Declare attackers. Before blockers, activate arena, Choosing one of your tapped attacking creatures. the creature picks a fight before blockers, potentially giving a 2-1 for you if they block afterwards, but otherwise taking out a blocker and still getting all their damage through.
Genesis is amazing for recusion, if that's your thing (I know it's mine, but not everyone elses), and it's a 3 drop if you hard cast it with Her fluffiness on the field.
Trolls of Tel-Jilad offers regen for your forces (or allies, in exchange for favors...)
Krosan warchief acts like a mini trolls of T-J for beasts, and reduces their cost as well. more a niche card, but worth mentioning if you end up going that route.
Weatherseed Treefolk is fragile, but returns to hand when killed.
Phytotitan is even more fragile, but returns for free
Masked Admirers is a card drawing chump blocker. while it doesn't get the cost reduction, it definatly will dish out the damage over a game with trades. and the card draw for ETB is icing on the cake.
Gurzigost is a wierd huge guy that smashes face, all for the low low cost of ... recycling your graveyard. oh no... /endsarcasm
Ulvenwald Hydra grows based on your land base, and fetches a land as an etb trigger. added bonus: has reach to deal with fliers.
Oran-Reif Hydra grows to monstrous sizes as the game progresses. not all that exciting, but cheap ($ wise)
Dungrove Elder is completely worth the G mana cost once you hit 4 lands, and will only get bigger as the game goes on.
Terra Stomper , Carnage Tyrant , Chameleon Colossus , Kodama of the North Tree , Kalonian Behemoth , Gaea's Revenge , and Ancient Ooze just do what they normally do with efficiency: smash. they aren't pretty or fancy, but they are cost efficient before your general's discount, so they smash hard for cheap.
Skysnare Spider has the two most important keywords for green multiplayer: vilgilance and reach
Hydra Omnivore lets you get damage through defenses of players by ignoring that player entirely and focusing elswhere.
Indrik Stomphowler and Conclave Naturalists might be good replacements for reclaimation sage, with you commander out they cost the same. Destructor Dragon acts the same on death, but hits planeswalkers and lands as well.
Woodfall Primus is a solid (abet later game) removal that returns to work again.
World Breaker acts as an exile, and is colorless to boot. added benefits are reach and recurrable.
Wickerbough Elder gets the cost reduction, despite being a 3/3 base when cast.
Wolfbriar Elemental lets you dump green into a token army of 2/2s if you need to spread out the love or create some chump blockers. quantity has it's own quality sometimes.
Vorapede is a undying buggy with vigilance for 3 when your general is out
Thornling is a solid all-round stomper that is hard to deal with, via indistructable and increasable toughness.
Thrun, the Last Troll is another hard to deal with threat: hexproof, uncounterable, and regenerate means not a whole lot can touch him.
Spearbreaker Behemoth can act as a duribility booster by giving indistructibility
Krosan Drover is a good card for the really expensive creatures, giving another cost reduction.
Ulvenwald Observer is a solid card-draw engine for the deck when things die
Nessian Game Warden lets you sift through your deck based on forests in play
Brooding Saurian is typically just a sideboard card against control matchups, but worth mentioning all the same.
Stone-Tongue Basilisk is a cheap ($ wise) little guy that can field-wipe an opponent if you time a swing right.
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa should go in every green deck that he can. this goes double for mono-green. Overrun as an repeatable instant? check. wrath countermeasures? Living Plane that only hits opponents for G per land. totally worth it.
1 year ago
Firstly, you need
Elvish Piper can go. What are you putting into play that's worth the 5-mana, two turns, and a card of investment?
Devikarin Dissident can go. It's just not very strong.
Druid of the Cowl, Elfhame Druid, Llanowar Scout should be the next creatures to go. There are better mana elves out there. Llanowar Elves , Fyndhorn Elves , Joraga Treespeaker , and Arbor Elf should all be in there before more mana elves enter the equation.
Blanchwood Armor, Oakenform, Arbor Armament, Dragonscale Boon, Gift of Growth, Mutagenic Growth, Pounce, Shape the Sands, Vines of the Recluse, and Takedown are all poorly suited to EDH. You'll want effects that pump your whole team like Beastmaster Ascension , Overwhelming Stampede , Craterhoof Behemoth , and Thunderfoot Baloth , rather than targeted combat tricks. Likewise, you'll want Heroic Intervention to save creatures. As for flying removal, consider Hurricane , Tropical Storm , Whiptongue Hydra , and Tornado Elemental .
2 years ago
Agreed with the first three. Khalni Gem could be alright, but it's also kind of a karoo.
I don't like: Undergrowth Champion, Tunneling Geopede, Tornado Elemental, Phytotitan, and especially Geyser Glider, Grove Rumbler, Sylvan Awakening, Embodiment of Fury and Embodiment of Insight. That's most of your elemental and landfall synergy. I don't think those are worth building around at all, since nearly your only payoff is your commander and the cards are pretty awful without him (and even with him they're not great.)
I'd suggest: Ramunap Excavator, Mina and Denn, Wildborn, Perilous Forays (this especially combos really well with Omnath), Harrow, Ulvenwald Hydra, Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds, Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma, Ranger's Path, Thaumatic Compass Flip, Goblin Bombardment, Blighted Woodland, Temple of the False God
2 years ago
Fierce Empath wouldn't be bad, actually. It gets 3 very relevant creatures in your list. You might consider Woodfall Primus as another target.