Magus of the Jar
Creature — Human Wizard
Tap, Sacrifice Magus of the Jar: Each player removes his or her hand from the game face down and draws seven cards. At end of turn, each player discards his or her hand and returns to his or her hand each card he or she removed from the game this way.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Magus of the Jar Discussion
3 months ago
There are some cards that let you play off the top of your library that I would count as card draw: Radha, Heart of Keld , Oracle of Mul Daya , Courser of Kruphix , Elsha of the Infinite , Realmwalker , Vizier of the Menagerie .
Some impulse draw you're missing: Bell Borca, Spectral Sergeant , Dark-Dweller Oracle , Chandra, Torch of Defiance , Showdown of the Skalds , Theater of Horrors , Apex of Power , Birgi, God of Storytelling Flip, Ignite the Future , Jeska's Will , Magmatic Channeler , Soulfire Eruption , Valakut Exploration .
4 months ago
Cool deck! 36 lands is probably enough, but it might even be worth cutting some (probably like 1 or 2) considering the amount of draw power you have. There are a few more decent draw spells you could try, like Brainstorm or Gitaxian Probe . Trinket Mage seems unnecessary since you only have two targets and it doesn't really have synergy with the commander. I'd replace it with something like Magus of the Wheel , Magus of the Jar , or Nin, the Pain Artist , but that's mostly just personal preference
6 months ago
You might also want to consider Vicious Shadows.
9 months ago
Some cards that you might like: Brallin, Skyshark Rider Flip, Shabraz, the Skyshark, Rielle, the Everwise, The Locust God, Psychosis Crawler, Burning Inquiry, Molten Psyche, Narset, Parter of Veils, Alms Collector, a Niv-Mizzet of your choice perhaps, Fevered Visions, Magus of the Jar, Wheel of Fate, Teferi's Puzzle Box, Winds of Change and I'll stop myself there lol.
Something you could do that might be cool would be to run a lot of cards like Dictate of Kruphix, Kami of the Crescent Moon, and Howling Mine to boost everybody's draw (might make them consider not killing you lol). That would rip the rug out from under everybody and make your wheels that much more impactful. Make them discard 12 cards instead of 6 or 7! Plus you're getting them closer to drawing on an empty deck.
As far as card draw goes, my favorites are targeted X spells like Blue Sun's Zenith and Stroke of Genius as they could always be upgraded to kill tools with an infinite source of mana i.e. Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter and I just like them a lot. If you decided to pursue group draw you could also experiment with stuff like Prosperity, Minds Aglow, and Fascination (you said you like options right?). Along with this I would add to your ability to win off of self mill with Thassa's Oracle and Jace, Wielder of Mysteries so that Lab Man has some friends.
I know you're running some recursion yourself but this deck has the potential to seriously fuel opposing decks with heavy graveyard interaction as their motif, for obvious reasons lol. Since you have have access to white you could always try Rest in Peace for the complete shutdown, and then maybe a Grafdigger's Cage just as another piece of graveyard hate. Alternatively, you might prefer cards with one time effects like Relic of Progenitus and Scavenger Grounds.. or you could mix and match! Up to you.
FINALLY, (yes I know, we're finally at the end) I would honestly just replace many of the dual lands you have that come in tapped with basics. I just personally don't enjoy having my lands come in tapped while everyone else gets ahead, and I really feel like basics are actually better than tapped lands even if they don't have the versatility or effects. Of course shocks and duals and fetches would always be nice, but we're trying to stay in budget so I'd just stick to the basics.
I know it's long but I just really enjoy researching cards and learning about different strats so I usually get carried away. I tried to stick with recommendations that stay under $10 but a few over the limit might've slipped through. I like your deck, hope this helped! :^)
10 months ago
- Nekusar, the Mindrazer hes a great commander if you wanted to change format for this deck style is really funny.
- The biggest issue with the deck is running Reliquary Tower and Underworld Dreams in the same deck you really need both effects, but the mana base is very hard to get by with.
- When deciding between these two decks ill say one is more comboy which means itll feel the same each game basically this one is mostly synergy so it'll feel different playing it each time.
- Forced Fruition is 6 mana. Youll probably hit your land drops on time due to card draw but thats still 6 turns (5 at the soonest).
- Fast lands like Sulfur Falls are great but you wanna run 3 max. They dont work well together. If your opener is just a 2-1 split of your fast lands your gonna be behind. (Shocklands are worth it).
- Consider the following: Teferi's Ageless Insight, Ominous Seas, Blasphemous Act, Fate Unraveler, Molten Psyche, Spiteful Visions, Whispering Madness + unblockable creature, Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted, Dictate of Kruphix, Megrim, Dark Deal, Waste Not, (Magus of the Wheel is sadly not legal :( ), Psychosis Crawler, Howling Mine, Liliana's Caress, Temple Bell, Incendiary Command, Prosperity, Dragon Mage, Fell Specter, Kess, Dissident Mage, Sangromancer, Magus of the Jar, Laboratory Maniac, Thassa's Oracle, Nadir Kraken, Consecrated Sphinx, Baleful Strix, Sire Of Insanity, Reverberate, Wheel of Fate, Echo of Eons, Burning Inquiry, Scheming Symmetry, Font of Mythos, Otherworld Atlas, Spellbook, Crawlspace or Ensnaring Bridge, Jace Beleren, Ashiok, Dream Render, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Narset, Parter of Veils, Geier Reach Sanitarium.
- I hope thats helpful. There's a lot of similar affects so theres a lot of routes to go.
10 months ago
nothingstar: Great suggestions! I knew I was missing one of the red looting spells, and it was Wild Guess; Thank you! Been considering taking Chasm Skulker from my Animar deck, and I have a Reforge the Soul I was thinking about taking from my Kalemne deck.
10 months ago
I do like the cycling sub-theme as a way to get more draws, I might have to consider it for my own wheely deck.
1 year ago
This is a really cool deck fam. Here are some cards you might like: Burning Inquiry, Forced Fruition, Jace's Archivist, Minds Aglow, Prosperity, Skyscribing, Impact Tremors, Storm the Citadel, Konda's Banner, Muraganda Petroglyphs, Seshiro the Anointed, Commit / Memory, Echo of Eons, Lore Broker, Magus of the Jar, Fevered Visions