Creature — Human Rogue
: Draw two cards. Target opponent gains control of Humble Defector. Activate this ability only during your turn.
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||None|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Humble Defector occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Humble Defector Discussion
1 day ago
Humble Defector because I love politics.
Elenda, the Dusk Rose because I love playing unusual and underappreciated cards, cards not meant for commander, and intentionally held back decks.
Dimir Machinations because I only like limited tutors.
2 days ago
Mono Red? Check
I love it. Here's some ideas.
Draw: Tome of Legends will be great in here. Maybe add Manifold Key for double untap/unblockable synergy. Endless Atlas, Ignite the Future, Humble Defector(use Homeward Path with it), Light Up the Stage are all cheap draw that I love in red. Prophetic Flamespeaker, Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion, Knollspine Dragon, Tectonic Giant and Grenzo, Havoc Raiser all provide card advantage and/or push the aggro theme.
Ramp: Let's think about this for a minute. I think instead of turn 3 brother #1, turn 4 brother #2, we should try to get both brothers out turn 4 (with 4 land drops). That way we don't waste their haste or leave one brother out alone to get removed/wiped. For that, focus on cards that will get both broths out turn 4: Sol Ring, Generator Servant, Dockside Extortionist, Worn Powerstone, Coalition Relic, Seething Song, Ruby Medallion, Myriad Landscape + any 2cmc mana rock, Cloud Key, Hazoret's Monument, and Herald's Horn all allow you to get both Brother's swinging turn 4.
Helm of the host is a good idea. One combat and they're all 6/5s. Trample will be important then, so yeah Archetype of Aggression seems great. Blackblade Reforged will be consistently good.
Themes to consider:
- Historic matters cards
- Legendary Matters cards
- Aggro/go wide
This is a cool idea, I will be back later! Get a decklist up TypicalTimmy, I already want to upvote it!
1 week ago
griffstick for the Legion! You've been playing this deck longer than I've been playing Magic!
What I like: Arcbond, Knollspine Dragon, Pyrohemia, and Infiltration Lens (all remind me of my Neheb deck), Haktos the Unscarred, Firemane Avenger (one of the first cards I ever saw and the reason I like Boros so much).
Here's what I'm noticing. Sorry if this steps on any pet cards or the deck as a whole.
- Somewhat high curve. This would be fine if not for the...
- Lack of ramp (you have 8, arguably 10, but most are 3 cmc or more which I do not like).
- Lack of draw (you have 9, but most are conditional or one-of effects).
- Lack of protection (you have 1, your creatures will get boardwiped).
So with that, here's some cards to consider.
Ramp: focus on 2 cmc ramp. Why? It comes out before your important creatures. It helps Iroas hit turn 3 every game. It saves mana.
- Boros Signet
- Arcane Signet
- Fire Diamond
- Marble Diamond
- Coldsteel Heart
- Fellwar Stone
- Talisman of Conviction
- Dockside Extortionist <- highly suggested
Draw: let's get some better draw in here.
- Ignite the Future great value and great rate
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser goes along with attacking
- Tectonic Giant goes along with attacking
- Magus of the Wheel just solid
- Humble Defector political tool and pet card
- Tome of Legends repeatable draw, great for attacky decks
- Light Up the Stage not amazing but solid
Protection: Just some ways to not get blown out by a boardwipe.
I do not have time to suggest cuts. Mull these over and let me know if you want further explanation for anything.
2 weeks ago
theartision Cool! Alright, well if it's budget AND chaos or budget AND coin-flip we're talking about then.... As much as dislike the chaos archetype I do know some budget cards then to maybe consider, again these are just suggestions so if it's too against the grain of what you're going for feel free to ignore them:
Humble Defector - at least gives you draw, and is friendly in EDH so some politics involved.
Pendant of Prosperity - allows you ramp and again is political
Goblin Festival - keeping in theme to the chaos, flipping, and budget.
3 weeks ago
This is a good start. Good number of boardwipes and removal.
Not knowing your desired budget, power level or intended way to win, I am limited in how I can help.
For now, I'll keep things budget, and mostly suggest cards from the two most important categories in EDH, Card Draw and Ramp.
Ramp: With the curve you have currently, you'll need more. We will also attempt to lower the curve while cutting.
- Smothering Tithe. Dang. I thought this was more budget friendly. ST is very powerful, and a solid white staple that Boros needs. It's a good purchase.
- Generator Servant. Not really ramp, more of a ritual, but it can pump out a big boi 2 turns early with haste!
- Talisman of Conviction
- Wayfarer's Bauble
- Prismatic Lens
- Burnished Hart pet card, but it's solid ramp.
- Neheb, the Eternal could turn all of you X-spell boardwipes into a game winning play.
- Coldsteel Heart
And as she starts to build more decks and play more, a greater emphasis on 2cmc mana rocks over everything else will hopefully flourish.
Draw: Here's where you're really struggling.
- Reforge the Soul + other wheels are great with Smothering Tithe
- Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion is card selection, ramp, and a big attacker all in one.
- Land Tax (expensive) and Tectonic Reformation
- Humble Defector. My second favorite card in Magic, and a total pet card, but it's so good! If she's good at politics and making deals she can make this a card draw engine. Advise her to use it, give it to the least dangerous opponent on the condition that they a) give it back immediately and b) do some other small favor.
- Tome of Legends if you decide to switch commanders, or if she finds she attacks a lot.
- Prophetic Flamespeaker and Grenzo, Havoc Raiser get cards from attacking.
- Khorvath's Fury will wheel you and lower life totals.
- Etali, Primal Storm another on-theme way to get card advantage.
- Outpost Siege heard good things, but have never tried it myself.
- Ignite the Future is fast becoming one of my favorite red draw spells. Solid value.
Adding a bunch of these will let her have a way better time. More cards in hand = more fun.
- Gerrard, Weatherlight Hero solid protection piece. Consider him as the commander.
- Boros Charm another protection piece, with utility.
- Extra combat effects.
- Lower the CMC of your boardwipes.
- Try to lower the CMC over all.
Cuts to consider:
- Basandra, Battle Seraph
- Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
- Dawnbreak Reclaimer
- Fiendslayer Paladin
- Hunted Dragon
- Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas
- Phyrexian Soulgorger
- Leyline of Combustion
- Victory's Herald
Hope some of this helps!
1 month ago
Its been so much fun playing with the deck thank u for the list! Zedruu being so mana hungry i find it difficult to double spell or catch up even at a casual table
What do you think about adding a few more board wipes and some of the following, Curse of Opulence , Treasure Nabber , Dockside Extortionist , Spark Double , Humble Defector , Chasm Skulker , Sunbird's Invocation
1 month ago
Hey man, this is a really tight list! My suggestions are going to seem half-hearted, because there isn't a lot I would change here. All the key pieces I was looking for are already here. Well done.
I really like Torbran as a pressure and efficient boardwipe commander, so I'm glad to see both of those elements here.
Here's some cards to consider:
Immolation Shaman is another pressure card you're missing.
Satyr Firedancer is some cool tech with direct burn spells, plus the +2 damage from Torbran stacks!
Shadowspear from the upcoming set might be awesome in here. You can target stuff and they lose indestructible. Huge.
Drakuseth, Maw of Flames is a great finisher, with Torbran he's actually dealing 9, 6, 5, and 5.
Let's talk about card advantage. If you add ANY of the cards I suggest, please let it be these.
Cavalier of Flame is a good self wheel/later damage, as well as Khorvath's Fury . Reforge the Soul is just a solid wheel and budget Wheel of Fortune. These plus the wheels/looting you already have go great with Glint-Horn Buccaneer , who's also solid on his own. Humble Defector is my second favorite magic card, and is a great political card or just combos with Homeward Path , which you already have. Tome of Legends has been finding it's way into most of my decks with low cost commanders, if you attack with Torbran you should consider it. Ignite the Future is basically Red's harmonize, and I suggest it for any red deck without blue. And since you're in one color, Endless Atlas is a solid draw engine. Finally, Light Up the Stage is an okayish little draw spell you might consider.
Here's some cards I'm not convinced by and you might consider cutting for my other suggestions.
Chandra, Awakened Inferno Emblems don't have a color, so Torbran doesn't affect then. Yeah she can wipe the board, but you can more easily do that for 1 mana instead of 6.
Electrodominance under-preformed in Neheb.
Sundering Stroke I think is too expensive for what it does. It's hard to get 7 red without Neheb out.
By Force unless you really have to deal with artifacts every game. Add draw to get to the other removal you have faster.
Price of Glory under-preformed in Neheb, people just hold up mana rocks.
Urabrask the Hidden Haste at 5cmc is way too late. Replace with Cavalier if you really think you need it, or anything else.
Thran Dynamo this deck is hungry for red mana. I'd suggest finding a mana rock that gives red. Arcane signet maybe?
Magebane Armor is cool, but most of your sweepers don't kill your important creatures.
That's all I got for cuts, again. tight list man. Love it.
1 month ago
I noticed your mention the ruby medallion point before, fair enough. The way I understand your deck, and correct me if I'm wrong, its a race. But what happens when they've countered your T2-T3 purphorous and you're waiting extra turns to recast him given you used a lotus petal or a ritual to cast him the first time. Or just saving their removal for him since he is the centerpiece of your deck (as I noticed you have cavern + boseju but you don't always have them out).