Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Counter target activated ability from an artifact, creature, enchantment, or land. That permanent's activated abilities can't be played this turn. (Mana abilities can't be targeted.)
Draw a card.
1 year ago
I would say Sea's Claim or similar. Islandwalk decks that also hate on Field of the Dead etc. Still have some use if ur commander is Thada Adel or something. Or if your commander cares about mono U devition i.e Thassa, God of the Sea
Interdict is a good blue spell given so many comboes, but whirlwind denial and such are much more flexible. Counterspells in general tend to phase each other out because with answers you want the most efficient and flexible version of that effect. Which leads to my next abandoned card Doom Blade.
Then i would say something i miss from magics early history are janky, powerful symmetrical effects on artifacts. I.e. Horn of Greed. These are still played in edh, but wotc abandoned designg them
1 year ago
It's not really fair to suggest a bunch of additions to a deck without suggesting some cuts, so the ones I am seeing so far are:
- Clone Legion This is a huge spell but not necessarily a game ender when for 9 mana it probably should be. If it doesn't end the game, it will create a bookkeeping nightmare of tokens that are copies of a variety of creatures that don't have haste and are permanent. Seems the most straight across replacement would be Insurrection which for 1 mana less steals ALL creatures (not just one player's), gives them haste, and guarantees you have all the power and your opponents have no blockers. You should be able to end most games that way or at least take out a player or two, or just wait a little longer until that is the case.
- Diluvian Primordial A very expensive creature with no cost reduction, no tribal support, no flash or anything to keep it flexible, and it allows you to cast one spell from each opponent's graveyard? Your spells should be better than theirs. you don't need their spells. Certainly not at this cost. My straight across replacement recommendation? Spark Double! If you have your commander out, this seems like the best creature you could possibly cast!
- Double Vision 5 mana is a lot to spend on an enchantment that does nothing on its own, and when it is really good it is kind of a win more card. What this card needs more from an enchantment is more stuff to do early game and more repeatable card draw, so it may be cliche but you could put Mystic Remora or Rhystic Study here and I'm sure they would prove useful to keeping the deck fueled.
- Foil Seems like the worst of your counterspells, and you already have a lot! You want one you can cast for free? Force of Will, Fierce Guardianship, and Deflecting Swat are all likely better but expensive. Mana Drain too. But IMO, you already have plenty of counterspells and could use more stuff to trigger day/night so I recommend Leyline of Anticipation here so you can make it night on your turn easy and keep all your tools available at all time. Not to mention dropping creatures and artifacts and stuff right before your turn to protect them!
- Galecaster Colossus I'm not sure what another 7 mana creature is doing in this spell slinger deck. You wanna tap out for this on turn 8? No. I found a few other Wizard synergies that would probably work better like Sage of Fables or Metallic Mimic, but probably the Wizard that I would hate seeing the most here and is therefor probably correct is Fatespinner. This will also encourage a lot more day/night flipping I imagine when some people have to skip their main phase!
- Homeward Path Are you worried about your commander being stolen? That doesn't seem like a likely occurrence in our meta, and even less likely with all the counterspells and protection equipment you are playing. Instead how about Tyrite Sanctum? You can put a counter on Vadrik at instant speed repeatably for a low price, and when the time comes you can make him Indestructible permanently!
- Stifle I find this effect is often too small to be worth running defensively. You could replace it with a slightly bigger version like Disallow, Trickbind, Interdict, or Squelch. You could also replace this with kind of anything proactive and I have a lot of suggestions that could go here with Commander's Plate probably being the safest and Galazeth Prismari being the wildest! (He allows you to tap your equipment for mana!)
- Theoretical Duplication I just don't think copying your opponent's creatures for the turn (or more likely creature, singular) is that strong. And the bookkeeping again. You know what IS frustratingly strong? Capsize. Oof. I kinda hate myself for recommending it though. Alternatively if you wanna buyback something fun how about Seething Anger, Haze of Rage, or Lunar Frenzy to build up a huge Vadrik turn!
And a few basic lands for some of the nonbasics I recommended. Also we probably have too many Mountains given that 73% of your mana costs are blue. That's a good start I think at tweaking this deck!
2 years ago
Oh God here we go.
Brine Hag WTF IS THIS
Dire Fleet Ravager YES.
Elaborate Firecannon MUST INCLUDE
Fathom Fleet ANYTHING
Forerunner of the Coalition COP DFR
Gyruda, Doom of Depths SHOULD WE DO ALL EVEN HAHA NO
4 years ago
Gitaxian Probe is banned in Legacy. You might wanna consider Interdict .
5 years ago
Broken Concentration, Cancel, Convolute, Deprive, Disdainful Stroke, Dissolve, Essence Scatter, Exclude, Hinder, Hornswoggle, Interdict, Intervene, Psychic Barrier, Remove Soul, Soul Manipulation, Spell Rupture, Thassa's Rebuff, Undermine
6 years ago
You have a big emphasis on stealing/cloning opponents' creatures but what about their spells? Talent of the Telepath, Diluvian Primordial, Spelljack, Jace's Mindseeker, Spelltwine, Stolen Goods, and Knowledge Exploitation (perfect w Thada!) do just that.
While counters can be seen as "un-fun," in blue you gotta run a few. I like the ones that counter and replace themselves, plus they hopefully mitigate someone getting too salty. Arcane Denial, Dream Fracture, and Interdict (can delay a combo for a turn to let politics do its work).
An interesting and fun take on clone aggro, +1!
6 years ago
Tolaria west isn't great. Expedition map fills the same slot better for tutoring lands because its cost can be split over multiple turns and it's an artifact so you can tutor it out with trinket mage and it activates metalcraft. Tutoring out pact can be relevant, but it's not something I would want to spend 3 mana with UU on. I also wouldn't want it to occupy a land slot because High Tide is very important.
Stifle is spicy but it has the problem of not actually stopping most of the things you want it to stop. A lot of the combos that rely on triggered/activated abilities can often just ignore the effect and win either way. If I really wanted something similar I'd rather play Trickbind or Interdict but those effects are pretty lackluster for 2 mana.
6 years ago
Maybe stuff like Curse of Exhaustion, Arcane Laboratory, Eidolon of Rhetoric, or Rule of Law. Derevi's ability jumps around the global effects nicely. Erayo, Soratami Ascendant and Jace, Unraveler of Secrets might work as well. Should frustrate the Maelstrom player a little bit when they can't cast the spells off of the double cascade.
Assuming the Niv-Mizzet is built as a combo, give it shroud with stuff like Alexi's Cloak, Aspect of Mongoose, Diplomatic Immunity, Favorable Destiny, Mystic Veil, or Robe of Mirrors. (Hexproof might be better actually.) Alternatively, lock-out it's activated ability or give yourself hexproof with Abeyance,Aegis of the Gods, Arrest, Azorius Guildmage, Bind, Detainment Spell, Encrust, Faith's Fetters, Gelid Shackles, Ice Cage, Interdict, Ivory Mask, Katabatic Winds, Krasis Incubation, Leyline of Sanctity, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Lost in Thought, Orbs of Warding, Peace Talks, Phyrexian Revoker, Pithing Needle, Serra Bestiary, Squelch, Stifle, Stupefying Touch, Suppression Bonds, Trickbind, Voidstone Gargoyle, or Volrath's Curse. I feel like throwing a Pemmin's Aura on it could lead to some interesting politics.
Obviously some of these cards are better than others, but that's everything I've got.