|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Kraken
: Monstrosity 4. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put four +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous.)
When Shipbreaker Kraken becomes monstrous, tap up to four target creatures. Those creatures don't untap during their controllers' untap steps for as long as you control Shipbreaker Kraken.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (42)||VGJustice , gildan_bladeborn , Gabeph , lolpatrol , jstn.mrrtt , duff87 , shinobigarth , Riders_of_Brohan , vashaclarens , MattN7498 , Cazaz0816 , saj0219 , Lander , techneil , webdokkeren , FALLEN-X-ANGEL , mandoso , CampbellStev , bakeraj4 , AlbinoLion , Mortiferus_Rosa , , Thunderbeard , Wazerwifle , The_Grape , Myllyes314 , bradyofportdetroit , redlegs_17 , ZombieFood , Lindough , switchkill65 , acbooster , accioali , Kravian , Nemesis , ThisIsBullshit , Rez09 , Famicomania , CastleSiege , teslacoil7992 , thetechzombie , Epidilius|
|Want (6)||PopeJonIII , HehaGardenHoe , Filie , WhipJr , afeuling , yerfdog1935|
Shipbreaker Kraken Discussion
5 months ago
Here are some flavourful card ideas:
If you like some of the cards and want some help looking at what to swap, just ask, I'd be happy to help.
10 months ago
Lol it will be my pleasure, friend.
So Kess says only during your turns, and also an instant/sorcery. Automatically, that means I wanna move away from tons counterspells and more towards a value-based shell. Instants are still fine, since sometimes you'll need to respond, but you won't be able to flash back a counterspell very often, probably. Looks like you've already anticipated that, though, with some solid top-end value.
I'd prioritize focusing on a) your low-curve, and b) your threats.
For goal a) look at Ponder, Preordain, Anticipate, Minds Aglow, Diabolic Tutor, etc. Maybe some limited non-basic LD like Molten Rain (but not too much bc ppl will h8 u). Mass discard like Delirium Skeins will hurt your opponent more than you, probably. Artifact hate like Shatterstorm or Shattering Spree or Vandalblast will kill opponents' mana rocks. Graveyard hate like Learn from the Past and Commit / Memory. In general, you wanna pick spells that will help you survive into the late game, when Kess will shine. Card draw, cycling, and scry will help smooth your mana, too, and keep your hand/graveyard full of value. Oh, and stuff like Goblin Electromancer, Jace's Sanctum, Arcane Melee, and Curious Homunculus Flip will be good.
Goal b) is up to you. Wanna cast Leviathans like Shipbreaker Kraken or Stormtide Leviathan? Wanna put in tons of cycling-themed finishers like Archfiend of Ifnir, Shadowstorm Vizier, and Drake Haven? Or just go straight value with Melek, Izzet Paragon and Talrand, Sky Summoner? Personally, I'd try to pick a neat theme, since Kess is fairly value-oriented by herself. I would be afraid of making it a "goodstuff" build, because those get boring to me after a couple of rounds.
Great start! Best of luck.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Merchant Ship??? for our pirates to rob
Any of the new pirate ship vehicles
And don't forget to add our previous pirate friends, Ramirez DePietro, Kari Zev, Skyship Raider/Skyship Plunderer, Talas Air Ship, Talas Merchant and the rest of the Talas errata'd to pirates. Skeleton Ship, Pirate Ship, Rishadan Footpad, Rishadan Brigand, Rishadan Cutpurse.
1 year ago
I completely overlooked Elder Deep-Fiend; seems better than Shipbreaker Kraken :) I added Trophy Mage as a tutor, because mono-blue often has a hard time ramping as it is. Since you're not using expensive ramp options (and I applaud you for that, because I HATE those :)), I thought this might help you out some what. Anyways, hope you enjoy your deck!
1 year ago
NV_1980 Thanks so much for the recommendations. Some great options here.
All good calls on the pricier upgrade lists. I'd considered most of them and forgot them in the list of potential higher-budget upgrades. I should fix that, even if I probably won't add most of them to my own list. You're right that Paradox Engine is so strong that it's likely worth it to pick one up (and it would also be great in Kurkesh). Given that I was willing to buy a Contagion Engine, it probably makes sense to grab Paradox too from a cost/power perspective.
Guile and Scourge of Fleets are great options. They seem like solid replacements for Deep-Sea Kraken and one of the sphinxes. I'd considered Shipbreaker Kraken, but 14 mana just seems like too much to invest. Maybe Elder Deep-Fiend fills a similar role at a lower opportunity cost?
I've waffled a bit on adding more tutors to the deck. I usually try to run alternate synergies in place of tutors to prevent decks from getting too linear. Noble Benefactor is a cool card I'd never heard of before. I'll definitely keep that in mind if after more testing I end up needing another tutor.
I also agree that having a little more early game board stall would be good. I actually cut a Fog Bank from the stock list due to how badly it performed in a lot of 1v1 games, but then I remember that we have Atraxa in the group and it suddenly sounds way better again. Aura Thief looks brutal, I'm going to have to make room for that. Jace's Archivist is a good pick too. If the lock is working, opponents should have more cards, and the bounce effects go nicely with wheels (sadly, doesn't work well with Capsize). I'll have to test that. Sphinx of Jwar Isle => Fog Bank and Ulamog's Crusher => Aura Thief seem like the changes there. Not sure what the right cut for Archivist is. Stormsurge Kraken maybe.
1 year ago
First of all many thanks again for helping me earlier with my Daxos deck; I appreciate it! And to show you how much, I thought I'd give you some pointers on this deck, because I think it has great potential.
Your deck has some powerful creatures in it that cost a lot of mana to cast (for the most part), your deck can generate a reasonable amount of mana for sure, but I think it would be nice to replace some of your large creatures with a bit less expensive options that will allow you to be a bit more effective early game. My recommendations would be:
- Fog Bank/Guard Gomazoa; letting an attacker be completely useless (unless it has trample of course) fits well into your disruption theme. These are great against voltron decks that try to get in some early damage.
- Noble Benefactor; since blue doesn't have much in the way of tutoring, this can be a great card. I usually only use him to find the last piece in a combo I'm setting up. That way I'll know pretty much for certain that my opponents won't benefit more from tutoring than I will.
- Trophy Mage; allows you to tutor for Basalt Monolith, Commander's Sphere, Static Orb, Unstable Obelisk and Worn Powerstone.
- Jace's Archivist; no mono-blue deck should be without this card. First off, if your hand sucks, this is a great way to get a better one. Second, there's nothing more satisfying than to force a player with Reliquary Tower/Spellbook and a large hand of cards to discard everything and draw a new hand.
- Wall of Frost; fits well with your disruption theme.
- Aura Thief; this card is a nightmare for people playing combinations of white, green or black, as these decks are often enchantment-heavy. Also fits well with your disruption theme.
There are also some cards I'd recommend instead of some of the bruisers you're using now:
- Guile; one of the funniest and most useful cards I've ever played in mono-blue disruption decks.
- Shipbreaker Kraken; fits very well with your theme, better than Deep-Sea Kraken for instance.
- Scourge of Fleets; another very good disruption creature that fits your theme very well.
Should you ever intend to spend some extra money, I'd also really recommend adding:
- Paradox Engine; this is basically a must in this deck if you depend on your lock-down cards to win.
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir; one of the best blue creatures ever. Basically stops your opponents from casting instants while at the same time turning all your creature spells into possible instants.
- Consecrated Sphinx; allows for massive extra card draw on your part.
- Rhystic Study; a staple in most decks that use blue these days. Either tax your opponents when casting spells, or you get to draw an extra card.
- Back to Basics; a way to disable most multi-colored decks as well as extremely annoying utility lands.
1 year ago
BIG BIG CHANGES!!! CHECK IT OUT!!!
CARDS TAKEN OUT:
Sea Gate Oracle
Ludevic's Test Subject Flip
Blue Sun's Zenith
Curious Homunculus Flip
CARDS PUT IN:
Magosi, the Waterveil
Patron of the Moon
Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar
Soramaro, First to Dream
Master of Waves
Magus of the Jar
ENJOY!! Let me know what you think. New, more thorough deck description coming soon!