|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari (DDJ)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
: Add to your mana pool.
: Until end of turn, Svogthos, the Restless Tomb becomes a black and green Plant Zombie creature with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard." It's still a land.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb Discussion
2 weeks ago
Deranged Assistant & Millikin ramp/incremental mill/ keeping creature count high
Maze of Ith allows you to be more reckless with sidisi or more importantly kessig cagebreaker
Noxious Ghoul if your vs heavy token builds
Pathbreaker Ibex doesn't have haste like craterhoof, but its huge other x/x creatures
Vizier of Many Faces clone you can cast from your graveyard
Perpetual Timepiece, Memory's Journey graveyard protection
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
4 weeks ago
@Steaditup sewer nemesis is a great card, but I try not to have TOO many cards that's p/t relies on the graveyard (I already have Lord of Extinction, Golgari Grave-Troll, Bonehoard and Svogthos, the Restless Tomb). This means that I am not crippled if my or all graveyards are exiled. Thanks for the recommendation tho!
2 months ago
Maybe some of these?
- Command Tower
- Reliquary Tower
- Reflecting Pool
- Rogue's Passage
- Mosswort Bridge
- Treetop Village
- Gavony Township
- Horizon Canopy
- Windswept Heath
- Temple Garden
- Verdant Catacombs
- Overgrown Tomb
- Marsh Flats
- Godless Shrine
- Grim Backwoods
- Tainted Wood
- Llanowar Wastes
- Caves of Koilos
- Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- Temple of Malady
- Temple of Plenty
- Temple of Silence
- Westvale Abbey Flip (especially if you run a Mycoloth)
2 months ago
Tardigrade_Cain Thanks for taking a look into the decks land base! it is something I am always interested in improving upon account of a 5 color land base. Things can sometimes get tricky especially if you are trying to utilize some utility lands like I am attempting here.
I do want to say though how I disagree with your comments about creature lands in the deck. I'll firstly apologize for the delayed response, but I work often 70 hours a week and have to pick and choose carefully how I spend my free time. I disagree partially out of opinion, but here is my argument against creature lands for the deck;
I don't find that they are very good. Creature lands are not very big, and so although it is definitely beneficial that they are not susceptible to destruction in my efforts to abuse Child, it must be considered that they take up a slot in the deck, and in this case the land base which may result in loss of color even. Now I prefer to weigh a cards value if the card is getting me any closer to winning, and while my favorite creature lands available to me that could make sense in the deck, Svogthos, the Restless Tomb, and Inkmoth Nexus are arguably good cards they don't entirely get me very much closer to winning. Unlike commander damage from Child which kills in just 4 swings alone, or only 2 swings with Xenagos, God of Revels' start of combat phase trigger while in play.
Now my big fat personal opinion on the matter is that I love love love Maze's End and that strategy was the birth of this deck. So for the time being I will definitely continue to play in this style, but that doesn't mean I may venture away from it at some point.
Thank you for the intrigue and giving me something to think about over the weeks! Svogthos, the Restless Tomb definitely can see play in this deck as it cares about graveyards, this deck tends to be graveyard heavy, and ultimately can be nulled from my own child shenanigans. So it will sit in the maybeboard until I decide to give it a chance.
3 months ago
JHowlett Thanks for the suggestions! Oh and your comments are there.
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb is looking to be a beastly man-land for this type of deck, good call. I haven't really looked into good utility lands for this deck.
For the one mana difference I think I'm going to use Ancient Excavation over Flux even though Ancient Excavation is a turn slower, I think helping control and combo decks is probably not in my favor. Especially since they are probably my worst/hardest matchups.
3 months ago
Not sure where my comment went, but check out
I think they may be hella :)
3 months ago
LOL I love that you enjoyed the name.
Otherwise, deck looks dope. Dakmor Salvage is hella if you get dunked on with land destruction or a wipe. Its nice too if you pair it with a way to sac your own permanents.
Svogthos, the Restless Tomb is a hidden finisher that's hella dope too. You mill for a ton and all of a sudden youve gor a 10/10 starring you down.
Flux and cards like Ancient Excavation let you selectively pitch and deserve a hella spot in the self mill category. Flux because its cheaper, but ancient because its only you and you draw THEN pitch.
7 months ago
I really like this concept and have been working on my own version as well! A couple of notes:
- Half of your deck costs green mana, yet only a fifth of your mana base produces green.
- I like Svogthos, the Restless Tomb a lot, but not for this deck. You have a max of eleven creature cards in the deck, meaning that at any given time, it is likely going to be a vanilla 3/3 for 5 mana every time you want to do something with it.
- You are running a lot of effects that turn all or most of your lands into creatures, which is good. However, this leaves your mana base extremely weak to board wipes. Enchantments like Terra Eternal can only do so much to stop that. I would recommend running one or two of these effects, especially as the more you run the more redundant they are.
- This deck demands lots of mana, lands in particular. You have a lot of effects that let you play more lands, but only a few that find you lands. This leaves you vulnerable to mana and color screw. Nature's Lore and Skyshroud Claim are both excellent for fixing and ramp, as they can both fetch dual lands with the Forest type, giving you access to pretty much any color you need.
- On the topic of fixing, I know the deck is already expensive, but fetch lands like Scalding Tarn or Krosan Verge would be immensely helpful in ensuring you have exactly the mana you need, when you need it.
With all that in mind, this is a difficult deck to brew. I've been having difficulties with all of this and more. It is a good start to an interesting concept and I hope my comments have been helpful! I wish you luck, fellow brewer!