|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Common|
|Rise of the Eldrazi (ROE)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Insect
Whenever a player sacrifices a creature, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Mortician Beetle.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (9)||GoldGhost012 , mtgmanatee , EliGjerdingen , CAPT.Shock , , Friedrice24 , CampbellStev , bakeraj4 , Vasbear1|
Mortician Beetle Discussion
2 weeks ago
you just don't want to hang non-dynamic cards on a combo. Soul sisters are decent because even without the combo, they'll keep you in the game. There are other spells, though, like Mortician Beetle that really aren't very good without the combo.
3 weeks ago
Ahzrei I really like the theme of the deck you have here, but right now I see a few issues.
First of all, you have 62 cards in the deck right now.. Assuming you want to be running a 60 card deck, that should be fixed.
Arc Runner is a nice card, but think of this.. If your plan is to hard cast him, and then play Rite of Consumption before end of turn.. this is a combo that'll have to wait until turn 5 at the soonest. Not to mention that he is easily chump blocked once your opponent has the slightest idea of what you're up to (since he doesn't even have trample).
Here is what I would do:
-4 Arc Runner (Too mana intensive to allow for shenanigans)
-4 Demigod of Revenge (Not sure he fits the theme like you may think. Official ruling of the card states: "This ability triggers when you cast Demigod of Revenge as a spell. It wont trigger if Demigod of Revenge is put directly onto the battlefield.")
+4 Demonlord of Ashmouth (This is your win con. He also allows you to sac him once at no cost = profit.)
-4 Apprentice Necromancer (Soonest he is useful is turn 3, after some thought on this one, I am thinking this:)
+4 Undying Evil (...fits the theme a little better than the Necro, & useful in more situations.)
-2 Sneak Attack (With the new lowered mana curve here, I don't see as much need for this card in the deck.)
(You should also look at fixing your mana base. Even without making changes to the deck, you should be more swamp-heavy than mountain-heavy.)
1 month ago
2 months ago
Thanks for posting on / upvoting my Meren primer, really glad you liked it :) Just following up with you to see if there are a few ideas I can help with - trying to stay in tune with your current deck flavor, and keep all the suggestions pretty cheap :)
- Acidic Slime - How often do you find you target lands with him? I always thought he was a little steep for the effect, and something like Sylvok Replica did 95% of the job for 60% of the cost
- What's your experience with the "pump" creatures like Bloodthrone Vampire, Lotleth Troll, etc.? I find that even with recursion engines, it's hard to have enough cards to actually feed them well enough... maybe it would be more useful to use these slots for more utility creatures (removal, ramp, etc.) and then....
- ...look at something like Beastmaster Ascension to go alongside Dance of Shadows! Seems like your wincon is a big alpha strike with creatures, so this might be a great alternative/addition. Note that Beastmaster Ascension gets the counters upon declaring attacks, so if you swing with seven creatures in one combat, they will all get +5/+5 that combat.
- Focusing on strong wincons like that would also let you turn Mortician Beetle into Elves of Deep Shadow (of course, I don't see many creatures in my playgroup so maybe I'm undervaluing that card)
- Scavenging Ooze sticks with your pump-to-win theme but adds some targeted graveyard hate
- To help speed up card draw - how about Fecundity? I assume you're playing more creatures than your opponents (and have recursion!) so this can help speed up the mid-game slog that usually happens in B/G. Foster is another option, but a little slower.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip - I have no experience with him, but maybe this would be a good place for him
- Manglehorn is just so good as removal, and to slow down your opponents
- From Beyond seems a bit slower than Awakening Zone in an opening hand for a similar effect
- Cryptolith Rite turns everything into Birds of Paradise!
- Maybe Bone Shredder over Nekrataal?
- What about something like Doomgape as a swing-in fatty over Scourge of Nel Toth? Both seem combat-focused, but Doomgape gains you life and is harder to block
- How often do you use Altar of Dementia? Would something like Ashnod's Altar be more useful? Probably comes down to whether you need ramp or card draw more at that stage of the game.
- Ghirapur Orrery might be interesting tech to play with, but depending on your playgroup it could go either way. Never used it personally but it seems like it could be fun
- Aluren is on the steep side of "budget" but would be SO GOOD HERE (assuming your opponents aren't heavy on the creatures too, it's symmetric!)
2 months ago
Perhaps you might want to take out Mortician Beetle since you already have big creatures and it would be a replacement. Basically what I'm saying is that they both do something when a creature dies,so you're not loosing anything in that front. Try it out and see how it goes
2 months ago
first of all:
modern is a fast format. 5 and 4 mana spells or abilities that are 3 colored, like you have, are not likely to even hit the battlefield because you'll die before it even happens (in most cases). if those 5 & 4 drops are not important to you, i suggest removing them from the deck, and putting creatures like Bile Urchin, Bloodbriar, Bloodflow Connoisseur, Bontu the Glorified, Child of Thorns , Corpse Hauler, Doomed Necromancer, Frostling, Mortician Beetle
and sideboarding Boggart Forager
i'll keep searching for you tomorrow, hope this helps for now
2 months ago
Bloodflow Connoisseur might be an option for you since it also stacks +1/+1 counters just like your other creatures do, although it is more expensive. It synergizes very well with your Mortician Beetle.