|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Journey into Nyx (JOU)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Athreos, God of Passage
Legendary Enchantment Creature — God
As long as your devotion to white and black is less than seven, Athreos isn't a creature.
When another creature you own dies, return it to your hand unless target opponent pays three life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Athreos, God of Passage Discussion
1 day ago
goldlion I like the way your thinking, and plus it's so janky no one can hate it LOL!
Some instants and sorceries that you can benefit from hmm...off the top of my head you can go for a sub reanimator theme and I would like to go for the reusable ones. Here might be some cards that can help:
Regrowth, Oversold Cemetery, Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead, Athreos, God of Passage, Dawn of the Dead, Disturbed Burial, Dread Return, Golgari Guildmage, Meren of Clan Nel Toth, Palace Siege, Phyrexian Reclamation, Debtors' Knell.
On the more expensive scale:
1 week ago
You should choose between Orzhov Aristocrats or Soul Sisters. It's holding you back from exploiting Blood Artist, Athreos, God of Passage, and Teysa, Orzhov Scion. I believe it would be best to ditch the lifegain theme, focus on creatures that you benefit from sacrficing such as Doomed Traveler and Doomed Dissenter
2 weeks ago
I can tell just by looking at this briefly that this build has been improved over time as it looks very refined. As I am not experienced with this commander, take my comments with a grain of salt as you are more of the expert here.
I wonder if you could make use of more token producers - specifically ones that make at least 3 1/1 creatures at a time in order to use Teysa's first ability on demand if she's the only creature in play. Cards that come to mind include: Sengir Autocrat, Benevolent Offering, Increasing Devotion, Entrapment Maneuver, Spectral Procession, Martial Coup.
I think more card draw effects would be nice. I'm very surprised to not see Mentor of the Meek in here. I would argue that Read the Bones is strictly better than Painful Lesson. But overall I would consider adding a few more, some that come to mind that play well are: Damnable Pact, Skeletal Scrying, Blood Divination, Altar's Reap, Ancient Craving.
I think you could use more mana ramp. Besides mana rocks, you could take advantage of treasures with cards like Pitiless Plunderer.
Not sure if you've thought about focusing on strong cards that care about low CMC. Besides Mentor of the Meek, other cool cards could be added (some would even interact with Teysa): Unearth, Sun Titan, Reveillark, Citywide Bust.
Fun cards that come to mind that you could add:
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded Not a cheap card at around $6, but could be insane in this deck.
- Archfiend of Despair - also around $6 and high cmc, but would be nuts for ending a long game quickly
- Krav, the Unredeemed I know you said you recently traded him, but it could be worth hunting down another cheap non-foil one and run him with Regna, the Redeemer.
- Bontu the Glorified and/or Oketra the True
- Athreos, God of Passage not cheap at $12, but could be useful when you don't have tokens to sacrifice
- Eliminate the Competition - very underestimated IMO
- Black Market I'm usually very picky when it comes to enchantments at 5+ CMC, but maybe this one would be worth it in a long game since it sees tokens dying.
Lastly, a few cards I think could possibility be cut for any of the above (I am often eager to cut high CMC cards btw):
- Treasury Thrull - a good effect I'll admit, but I'm just not thrilled with the 6 CMC. If reviving creatures is your main goal, something like a Hell's Caretaker's effect for less mana might be better.
- Voldaren Pariah Flip - at her cmc with that effect, I think I'd rather run a board wipe instead
- Vizkopa Confessor - looks like a fun card, but I don't like the CMC.
- Profane Command - I don't know that this should be cut, but I'd encourage you to really ask yourself which modes you typically use because you might be able to get a card with the desired mode for less mana. If X spells are a way for you close out the game, you could consider Exsanguinate or Torment of Hailfire.
- Tamiyo's Journal - looks like a fun card, but idk about the cmc, requires a long game before providing lots of value.
- Tainted Sigil - I've never seen this card before, does it pay off well? I just don't like that people can see it on the board.
Overall, very impression decklist - glad you rebuilt it. Eager to face it next week.
3 weeks ago
Most of these aren't standard legal but if you're just playing casually or looking for a commander deck
3 weeks ago
You miss some one mana creature drops, Hopeful Eidolon could fill in this niche. Also, remove Stab Wound for 4 copies of Ethereal Armor, it does wonders in enchantment heavy decks. Plus, you need something to pump your creatures up to swing for lethal or at least put pressure.
A good sideboard card would be Eidolon of Rhetoric, a very fitting card against storm decks.
I don't know how to feel about Master of the Feast without Fate Unraveler, especially 4 copies of this gluttonous demon. If you want a flying enchantment demon that badly I would recommend Herald of Torment.
3 weeks ago
Was there ever a rule where you couldnt play the same named card more than once a turn?
I just had an experience playing with someone who hasnt played since magic first came out and they said I couldn't.
What happened was... I played a creature. Sac'd it and managed to get it returned to my hand via Athreos, God of Passage. Then i tried to play that same creature again and he said i couldn't. Was there ever a rule like this?
4 weeks ago
Aphoticate I agree that Ana may appear less inherently powerful as a card than Teeg is as far as their abilities go, but as a commander her Abzan colors really make her stand out and grant a bit of an edge over Teeg so I feel as if you're underselling her by a large margin by neglecting to mention how her deck actually plays. She shuts down creature-based graveyard strategies single-handedly, and graveyard hate is something that Teeg really doesn't run much of aside from Rest in Peace. The thing is though, her toolbox has other answers to a myriad of deck strategies and you seem to be analyzing her as a singleton instead of talking about what a deck built around her has to offer. Her Hatebear lists are honestly nearly identical to that of Teeg's, and much more consistent than Teeg simply due to the added tutor support. On top of that you get access to other spicy hateful and taxing cards such as Athreos, God of Passage, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Deathrite Shaman, and I often see cards like Meren of Clan Nel Toth for additional recursion, redundancies with Ana in Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, and even Ob Nixilis, Unshackled to further punish opponents who want to search for answers. It just feels like an all around improved version of a Teeg deck and all this talk about Anafenza, the Foremost makes me want to build my own deck around her now haha.