|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dwarf Shaman
When Duergar Hedge-Mage enters the battlefield, if you control two or more Mountains, you may destroy target artifact.
When Duergar Hedge-Mage enters the battlefield, if you control two or more Plains, you may destroy target enchantment.
Duergar Hedge-Mage Discussion
37 minutes ago
Good start to a deck. Rienne looks like an interesting build, and the built-in recursion is pretty powerful. If I might suggest a few cards that work really well with her; Dauntless Escort , Saffi Eriksdotter and Qasali Pridemage are all cards that self-sacrifice with powerful effects that Rienne, Angel of Rebirth lets you re-use. These cards will help to make your board more sticky and keep Rienne around to keep chugging out that value.
Theres a ton of other multicolored creatures that have reusable effects when they enter, like Duergar Hedge-Mage , Knight of Autumn and Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves . If token making is something you're interested in, then Conclave Cavalier and Trostani's Summoner can do a decent job. If you want some good aggressive finisher cards, theres Gahiji, Honored One and Knight of New Alara who can pump your board pretty nicely, as well as the liege cycle from Lorwyn.
Since the deck is three color, getting the right mana on time might be a bit of a problem. You could do with swapping some of the basics out for some tri-color lands, like Command Tower and Jungle Shrine , and using cheap fetches like Evolving Wilds , Terramorphic Expanse and Krosan Verge can help you get the lands you need as you need them. Replacing cards like Safewright Quest with things like Farseek , Kodama's Reach and Skyshroud Claim are also going to help, as you can never have enough mana in an EDH game, as we all know.
Your deck is also pretty light on removal, stuff like Swords to Plowshares , Sylvan Reclamation , Return to Dust , Generous Gift and Beast Within can get rid of troublesome creatures or permanents that threaten you or stop you winning with creatures. While they aren't flashy, sometimes you just need to get rid of that Rest in Peace before it does too much damage.
Thats my take on just some of the cards I figure could improve the deck, but I'm no expert. Play around with it and see what you like. If you find yourself struggling to cut cards, here's a list of what I feel are the weakest links in your deck, in no particular order; Chandra, Fire Artisan - You have access to better card draw and the burn shouldn't be super relevant most games. Dryad Militant , Vernadi Shieldmate , Skyknight Vanguard , Boros Swiftblade and Sunhome Guildmage all seem fairly low impact. Fatal Frenzy seems odd as your creatures aren't super large, and your commander isn't going to easily win by Commander Damage. War's Toll and Mana Web seem like filler slots, but maybe these help against your local meta?
Hopefully some of this helps, I look forward to seeing how the deck develops in the future.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
alechodgin23 i removed the Duergar Hedge-Mage and added in a Sphinx's Revelation . Hopefully that will be enough, if needed ill add more later. I'd like to run Teferi's Protection but its 50$ right now and its not really necessary for the deck as once numot is out and an Armageddon resolves, the game is basically over. it would however prove to be another win condition with a mass land destruction spell due to so much resource denial, ill consider the card when its cheaper down the line. Hopefully commander 2020 gives us a reprint.
1 month ago
Yeah man, this one is tough. It looks pretty good, although I think I may take out some of the artifact hate and instead put in more targeted pump spells. You have a lot of protection spells (although maybe lacking a Gods Willing ) and double-strike spells, but you have few actual pump spells. Some of the spells I think can be upgraded, namely Boros Charm , Blessed Alliance , and maybe Balduvian Rage . These are good cards, but specifically with the indestructible spells, they are mostly used to counteract wrath effects which are not played in Tiny Leaders because of the mana cost restriction. You might look into Reckless Charge , Brute Force , Rush of Blood , Titan's Strength , and things of the like. I like the heroic package. Some of the other creatures you can probably cut without too much loss. Taking out Duergar Hedge-Mage and Electrostatic Field is where I would start. They just seem slow and kind of clunky. I could see Akroan Crusader and especially Dreadhorde Arcanist fitting nicely. This style of deck is entirely focused on what it is trying to do, so if you are interacting with the opponent it means you are detracting from the power of the deck, which is to apply pressure. Nice build though, I am not looking forward to facing it!
2 months ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
7 months ago
@BMHKain says... #4
@griffstick: But can you Flicker Greater Gargadon, & still have it suspended? I already have Duergar Hedge-Mage that can do that just fine. :p but it gets crazier; W/ Prototype Portal, if Panharmonicon is in play, the ETB trigger for portal can allow you to imprint two different artifacts.
To that statement. To do what you are saying has some serious build up Panharmonicon, Prototype Portal, 2 artifacts in hand one of them being Ugin's Nexus and having Duergar Hedge-Mage in hand. So this takes a lot of set up. Now the upside is Duergar Hedge-Mage is good removal for your opponents but the downside is, with Duergar Hedge-Mage you'll only get one or 2 extra turns if you are all set up correctly and have two Ugin's Nexus's in play at the time Duergar Hedge-Mage enters.
So on the flipside let's say you have Ugin's Nexus in hand you have Prototype Portal in hand and Greater Gargadon was already suspended with 9 time counters on it. If you have 9 mana, you can cast and activate that turn and now take 5 extra turns in a row. A worse case scenario just for fun. Greater Gargadon was suspended on turn 1 because you had it in your opening hand. You've made it to turn 3 with 5 mana because or sol ring. You play the Prototype Portal exiling Ugin's Nexus imprinting it. Turn 4 with 6 time counters on your suspended Greater Gargadon, you play a land and that brings you to 6 mana assuming anything else you did up to this point was play sol ring and lands. You now use 5 mana for the token of Ugin's Nexus sacrifice it to the gargadon to take an extra turn. You'll be able to take up to 3 extra turns with a big ass creature when you are done. Now this was the simplest sample. It off course gets better if you are able to untap the portal and do it again before you go to your next turn.
The point I'm make is since this deck is "competitive" you will be able to pull off this combo way faster and way better with the gargadon then you would with the Duergar Hedge-Mage
7 months ago
@griffstick: But can you Flicker Greater Gargadon, & still have it suspended? I already have Duergar Hedge-Mage that can do that just fine. :p but it gets crazier; W/ Prototype Portal, if Panharmonicon is in play, the ETB trigger for portal can allow you to imprint two different artifacts. Or am I wrong, & it only applies to ETB/CIP creatures? Being able to imprint two things of the same type would sound damn epic... Xd
@cdkime: Huh... After seeing that in Pyroblast, I feel I might want some more Heroic abilities in there... Xp Dunno if it's a good strategy, but Goblin Bombardment + Squee, the Immortal are cut as one other Goblin doesn't even target any kind of mentioned idea, where Goblin Bombardment does. Red Elemental Blast will probably eat a cut as well...
I wonder if Panharmonicon also applies to Artifacts though... Let me check before commenting...
(Click Clack Moo. Cows That Smash.)
Prototype Portal's imprint ability is ETB based. It's an Artifact, Panharmonicon also targets Artifacts, so this is legit. Lotus Petal + Ugin's Nexus can both be used/copied at the same time, given THAT is in play.
Am I not correct?
7 months ago
NOTE: This is a topic regarding cEDH Boros. If you think there is no hope for it, do NOT post on this. (The Bold should be warning enough...)
After trying to cut some stuff to 100 for some things, I realized, there is some others to do regarding one deck:
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 4 | 58 COMMENTS | 583 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
I previously wanted this to be Tier 3, as one joke cEDH deck (Depala, of all things.), did this. But this is a serious attempt by all means. That said, I'll mention some things worth note to get at least just a little bit closer to my goal:
- Red Elemental Blast, or Pyroplast?
Both of their most recent prints state their abilities differently. Pyroblast has:
Choose one — • Counter target spell if it's blue. • Destroy target permanent if it's blue.
Red Elemental Blast?
Choose one — • Counter target blue spell. • Destroy target blue permanent.
This seems written differently; but I dunno how this is different from the others. Regardless, cEDH usually smiles upon . So I'll leave it to you to decide...
This is a biggie. One person not known for cEDH believes this is a real dud of a wincon. But I'd like some opinions o this. If this really does suck, at least that's 3 cuts so far. Aside from this, Grand Abolisher does wonders here.
This is new as I found that Magistrate's Scepter is just one target for counters; something I know FOR A FACT Boros is NOT good at in the slightest (There, a minus. See? I can agree w/ you too. 0-^) Prototype Portal can imprint any artifact; which can range from an infinite mana via Lotus Petal, or Infinite Turns w/ Ugin's Nexus. Problem? I have little to nothing to destroy the copy is opposed to exiling it. Plus, this is quite expensive; but I don't want to use Final Fortune + Sundial of the Infinite loops; they can be disrupted; besides, this is the only option left (Gonti's Aether Heart is more expensive anyway.). Bonus points for infinite mana in case Ugin's Nexus is a skip. I'll let you decide.
- How the bloody devil is Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite a staple?!
I'm confused about this; happy, but confused. Usually stuff lower than 3 CMC would be fine; but one cEDH Staples lists actually lists her on the main list. runs Dorks, & so few even reach a 3+ toughness. Should I get rid of her for CMC's sake? or should I keep her as a Gamekiller?
W/ so many doing stuff outside of Lifeloss/lifegain, this should be very important to note as others would either Self-Mill via Laboratory Maniac, Maze's End a game, basically put; Wincons that don't depend on Life Total. So, should I put in stuff like these, Goblin Chainwhirler, or other things that can kill life totals? Otherwise, I at least have Altar of the Brood to mill everyone else... XP
After knowing about creatures outside of that can produce Mana, I decided Neheb, the Eternal is no longer enough (It actually requires Damage dealing to make it work; so, I'm thinking of cutting him; considering nobody really wants to damage anyways.). While I could flicker [Farrelite Priest]] & make her new, w/o previous memory, I want to leave it to you; w/ so much Devotion to , Should I rather increase the amount of Plains & decrease the number of Mountains? (I have Blood Moon Anyway...). If she is crap to you, I want to know why; I cannot run Avacyn's Pilgrim you know.
Yes, I get it. Tamiyo's Journal is the only Target of this inspector. That said, Tamiyo's Journal can search for anything. Problem? One target. Not consistent enough, & nobody is recommending a card like Tamiyo's Journal that can also work on its own... Ideas are welcome.
This combo came to me in the form of an Epiphany. After I blow up all lands, I can flicker Fiend Hunter exiling Sun Titan to bring all my lands back; yes, this is possible. Since Lands are 0CMC Permanents, I can bring them all back to my side. even a combo like this can't be stopped by the next part of this charade...
Some of the best cards in this deck so far. It promotes a Prison-Lock for all Graveyards in play. Since this deck should be able to have effects that bypass both of these; I just want to know what to cut due to these...
- I still need an explanation for Rule of Law/Eidolon of Rhetoric + Possibility Storm + Knowledge Pool.
This also applies to what I can use for Arcane Laboratory in . This combo has been looked up, but I dunno how it'll work here... It should be useful, but I dunno if it's cEDH competitive or not; much less how it works. If this is good both ways, I'm keeping them. At least tell me how it works, please...
- Squee Sucks?
Squee, the Immortal + Goblin Bombardment was meant to be used as a combo here. But since this uses Eldrazi Displacer to flicker ETB/CIP Creatures, I'm thinking of cutting the former 2 unless I can find a card that mimics Displacer's effect, so I don't have to have just one of such effect to waste... Felidar Guardian?
- The Emancipation Proclamation NEVER happened...
Emancipation Angel is something not to be cross with. She can return any permanent you control to your hand. Simple as that. Since it's an ETB ability, Eldrazi Displacer can bounce her, & she can do this again. If you want a list of Creatures in my deck that are ETB/CIP based, SUGOI! LET'S KICK As- Captain Janeway: Asteroids. Seven of Nine: Fun will now commence.
(Yes. I LITERALLY pulled off a Star Trek: Voyager.)
Duergar Hedge-Mage Fiend Hunter Goblin Chainwhirler Goblin Settler Imperial Recruiter Mentor of the Meek Mikaeus, the Lunarch Priest of Urabrask Recruiter of the Guard Solemn Simulacrum Sun Titan Thraben Inspector Village Bell-Ringer Wall of Omens Wily Goblin
(Damn, that's a lot... I need to lessen the lot...)
- No Paradox Engine? What the crap?
Paradox Engine is the only thing I have to Isochron Scepter imprinting Dramatic Reversal, so it NEEDS to stay; plus, I could've sworn it was a staple here... While this has quite some ETB/CIP effects, that doesn't have to mean things can't be cast either. Even stuff like Sunforger when casting instants are still considered cast. Even Mistveil Plains can bring them back. I really just wanted to throw in Reito Lantern, though; but cards like Grafdigger's Cage might mess w/ it; so it's now a skip.
- Stax on STACKS on [email protected]
Recently, I wanted to take this deck to a differing route; Value Town/Stax/Prison. This in turn meant a lot of stuff; Glowrider, Thorn of Amethyst (How fitting as it's my birthstone; but I still hated how STEVEN UNIVERSE personified her as a character since the beginning... :/), Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Vryn Wingmare, Ethersworn Canonist, Kismet, even Sphere of Resistance is damn good here. While a lot would think stuff like this is crap here, even stuff like Stranglehold, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Grand Abolisher, even Ugin's Nexus & Defense Grid are all great here. Irony? Many wouldn't see all this as competitive enough. So, w/ all that said, one last thing...
- Any ideas for a new CMDR?
Alright, we're almost done with what might be my longest post here ever... I've been thinking for the longest time; I need a new commander; Gisela, Blade of Goldnight is too much now. Since I took the liberty to change from Stax/Control (Or Value Town/Stax? I dun remember...) to Value Town/Stax/Prison. From there, I decided to make a change of CMDR. But there were bigger flaws w/ most, so I decided to make some regulations:
- No Tier 5 CMDRs.
- No Tribal Commanders (Stuff like Depala, Pilot Exemplar apply here.)
- Partners are only Allowed if not from BBD (Battlebond) (Khorvath Brightflame + Sylvia Brightspear for instance is not allowed.)
- Equipment/Aura Based CMDRS are out; I don't have any of that anyway...
I guess this is alright? The reason I left out 5. It must be Aggro Based is, well, the rest of the Tier 4s w/o only counting none of them.
Now I leave all this to you: What should I cut for a legit Tier 3 cEDH deck? I apologize for the Mammoth Sized Text, but it should be worth the effort.
I am open to Constructive Criticism only. I hope this is of good help for what is worth of help to me. I'll let you decide on my fate on this deck now.
Duergar Hedge-Mage occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%