Warleader's Helix deals 4 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker and you gain 4 life.
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Uncommon|
|Dragon's Maze (DGM)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Warleader's Helix occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Warleader's Helix Discussion
1 week ago
I run a Neheb, the Eternal burn deck and I think you could swap out a few spells for some more efficient burn. I also play Boros and will pretend to ignore this spell slinging propaganda.
Another good one to help you wipe the board or just to sink a lot of mana into is Rolling Earthquake since unlike the normal earthquake odds are it will kill every creature on the board. There is a version of it that is like $10 since it is one of those From the vault foils.
2 weeks ago
Lightning Helix is the combination of Healing Salve and Lightning Bolt. We all know the value of Lightning Bolt, but much less so that of Healing Salve. These days, Lightning Bolt is too strong for Standard and we refer to Lightning Strike for a more appropriately costed card for that damage range. If we look at specifically instants or sorceries that deal 4 damage, we come into the midrange territory and the costs are similarly higher or with extra conditions or restrictions. Char, Collective Defiance, Electrify, Flame Lash, Exquisite Firecraft, Lightning Blast, Slaying Fire, Stoke the Flames. On the cheaper side we have Cut, Flame Slash, Heartfire, Galvanic Blast, Lava Coil, Reckless Abandon.
I think at the least we can say that dealing 4 damage to any target unconditionally is more likely a CMC 4 spell that usually has some additional benefit stuck onto it or a 3 CMC with some requirements. So the raw unconditional 4 damage is somewhere around 3,X CMC.
Now healing 4 is way cheaper and can be done with Life Goes On for a single mana, at instant speed, with a condition to gain more life. The only other card to note is Sacred Nectar, which I believe we can quickly agree is overcosted and underperforming. All other cards that gain life around these ranges have something else going on for them, Feed the Clan, Blessed Alliance, Life Burst. As such, the raw 4 life is not even worth a mana.
So 4 damage is roughly worth 3,X CMC and 4 life is worth 0.Y CMC. Put those effects together on a multicolor card and Warleader's Helix seems like a fairly costed card at uncommon. Although fair does not equal good.
That was a rather long way to go just to say that Warleader's Helix is a fairly costed card... but not a very good one.
A condition may shave off a mana in the cost, but that leaves us at 3 CMC for a 4 damage, 4 life spell. The Vampiric Helix is definitely undercosted by 1 or needs a tougher condition, say control 2 or more vampires.
Now the biggest issue I take to this card is the ability to play it mono black. Mono black is not that efficient, seeing cards like Consume Spirit or Agonizing Syphon, Pharika's Cure. However neither red nor white has these effects by themselves. I think a good midway would be to have black as a required cost and then have the supplementary color be hybrid: would be fair in my eyes. Alternatively you could have white as the primary color and black/red as the supplementary, but that is not very flavorful as far as Vampire tribal goes. To compensate the increased cost, you could have the base version be 3 damage/3 life.
2 weeks ago
Nice idea and thank you for sharing! Love the flavor :)
My opinion: I think Vampiric Helix is too strong. Lightning Helix is already very strong and represents a limit to this kind of effect IMO (just like Lightning Bolt acts as a comparison point for burn spells). You just need to take a look at the ridiculous Warleader's Helix - which is the closest thing they printed since the original helix - to understand how undercosted Lightning Helix is.
The mana cost is even less restrictive with double hybrid (should mono-B really have access to yet another drain effect that is that strong?) and the condition to deal 4/drain 4 (ultimately resulting in an 8-HP difference which is HUGE) isn't even hard to get. It should be 2 or 3 vampires or something to really insist on the fact the card goes into a tribal deck.
Markov’s Grasp is really neat, though.
2 months ago
Not too shabby. I have some suggestions if you're interested: Warleader's Helix instead of Stoke the Flames, and maybe move the Skullcracks to the sideboard so you can run the full 4 Smuggler's Copter
5 months ago
FWIW, the Syr Gwyn precon deck already comes with 3 valid targets for Sunforger , but that decklist also contains absolute duds that could be replaced (like Marauder's Axe could probably be removed and replaced with a Warleader's Helix . Single Combat should be taken out of the precon too, it's so bad). For reference, those aforementioned Sunforger targets are:
The following included instants can't be searched for with Sunforger because, while the cards are anywhere but on the stack, their converted mana cost is equal to the combined costs of both halves:
So, one might probably remove Sunforger if you're not going to put in at least two to five more valid instants of CMC 4 or less.
9 months ago
Red/White spells such as
WILL trigger FS/SS twice. Gaining life from lifelink damage is one lifegain event, triggering FS/SS. Gaining life from the instructions on the spell is a second lifegain event. FS/SS triggers twice.
Gatherer confirms this.
9 months ago
- Nyxborn Shieldmate for Boros Reckoner both better creatures and reckoner works amazing with lightmines if u decide to add it
- Palace Guard for Archetype of Aggression
- Darksteel Plate for Whispersilk Cloak since your guys are invincible anyways. this also deters them from being targeted.. boardwipes will still work though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork for Tenza, Godo's Maul if up u this on ur commander hes a 10/7 menance with trample, seems like a better piece
- Armory of Iroas - Sunforger costs a few more mana but u have alot of tricks u can pull out of it for free late game
- Staff of Nin for Mind's Eye
- Avacyn's Collar for Spear of Heliod upgrades all ur doods and makes people scared to attack you
- Manalith for Commander's Sphere an upgrade
- Act of Treason for Faithless Looting card draw with flashback seems always good
- Mass Mutiny - Mob Rule seems like an upgrade
- Miraculous Recovery - Settle the Wreckage amazing board wipe, can really put you ahead. if not interested in a board wipe id suggest maybe a single target removal like Chaos Warp . i feel like you need ways to deal with high pressure threats
- Pay No Heed - Deflecting Palm
- Righteousness for Fight to the Death i know these two cards arent related, but how hilarious would it be to cast this when someone else is combating another player, basically can wipe two players boards if timed proper. if u would prefer to keep a combat trick here i would suggest maybe Gods Willing or something that does not require the creature to be blocking
- Smite - Ride Down
- Warleader's Helix - Savage Beating or Ajani Vengeant i feel helix doesnt provide enough value, for removal it is very weak , if u want good removal to replace this instead of a threats i listed, i would consider Oblivion Ring type cards
- Martial Glory - Boros Charm charm is must include, so much value! protect from boardwipes including land destruction! removal or maybe boost ur commander after blocks with a double strike if some1 is already been hit once and hello 21 commander dmg