|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Red creature spells you cast cost less to cast.
Whenever you cast a creature spell, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Hazoret's Monument Discussion
2 weeks ago
I think this needs a fair amount of work. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, so take what I say with a grain of salt, knowing many others could give you far better advice.
I think you have a few different things you are trying to do:
- Get Tribal Warrior Bonuses with Lovisa Coldeyes
- Cast creatures with Haste or give them Haste.
- Deal damage with Tapped and Exerted Creatures using Throne of the God-Pharaoh
- Combo Cartouche of Zeal and Trial of Zeal
- Having strong creature removal if needed
However, there's so much going on, I don't think most of these things will happen consistently. You only have 1 of each of the cards mentioned above, ensuring that you'll rarely see them played (especially the Zeal combo, which isn't that good to begin with).
I think you should just focus on a few things, mainly Warriors, Exhaust, and the Haste ability, as I think that's what you want your deck to mainly be. The suggestions I make are mainly using exactly what you have, only pulling a few cards from elsewhere.
I'd say get rid of the following:
- Trial of Zeal - It's not an instant, and it only deals 3 damage. Getting the combo off with Cartouche of Zeal is unpredictable. I'd much rather see 4 Hungry Flames in your deck, where you can clear their minions out, and deal a bit of extra damage to the player.
- Open Fire - Again, Hungry Flames is better here, as your focus is creatures dealing damage, so just having the option to deal 1 extra damage to the player seems like a huge loss, verses the ability to clear out their creatures and deal damage to the player. Additionally, Shock seems like a much better card at only 1 red mana, if you want more Instant damage.
- Grapeshot - You have a lot of mid to high costing cards, so at most you may get 1 extra damage with this consistently. Again, for 1 red mana, Shock trumps this (in your deck).
These I'd sideboard, maybe:
- Bitterbow Sharpshooters - They are situational, probably best if you know you are going against blue/white or someone with flying. Otherwise, the high cost and lack of synergy is hard to justify.
- Deem Worthy and Shivan Meteor - Both cost a lot to have as part of your core, and not very useful if you are going up a blue control deck, or aggro deck (again Shock and Hungry Flames would be useful in most all situations.) However, if you know they are packing some large creatures, then I'd stick with Meteor since it has a ton more damage, even though it lacks cycling and demands 2 red. If they have large creatures, you definitely rather overkill in case they can pump them.
- Hijack - Simply put, it's situational. Sideboard when you know you are going up against heavy artifact/vehicle decks. Otherwise, something that straight up destroys artifacts might be better (there's a red card that destorys X artifacts, I think, and that would probably work better in your side board. It could really cripple an artifact deck).
These I like but not sure about:
- Majestic Myriarch - I like this card a lot, but am playing it in a deck where I only have four five-cost creatures, a few three-cost, and the rest 1 and 2 cost. I don't think it fits well here, but with some changes it might. And you might play with it and find I'm very wrong. Try it and see how it plays out. If he can copy Haste and Double Strike, he could do well consistently.
- Throne of the God-Pharaoh - I get the idea behind this, but I'm simply not sure if it works in practice. Play with 2 or 3 in your deck (to make sure you see if regularly) and see how it works out. Get rid of it if the damage in negligible.
- Hazoret's Monument - I do like this in your deck, and probably would play with 2 or 3, but ditch it if it doesn't seem that helpful. But since you have so many red and red/green cards, it seems like it'd do well.
- Garruk's Horde - It's expensive and only kinda useful if you can get it out. Maybe Cultivator of Blades would be a better option. Again, this one you'd have to test.
These I think you could choose one or the other:
- Hooded Brawler or Khenra Scrapper or Ahn-Crop Crasher- These cards are nice in their own respect. I think the weakest is Hooded Brawler, mainly because he doesn't have haste and can be blocked. If you find you consistently get him out with Bloodlust Inciter to haste him, then maybe keep him. Otherwise, I'd choose Khenra and Ahn, and you should play 2, 3, or 4 of each. Ahn I think is especially strong.
- Rubblebelt Raiders or Frontline Devastator both I like for different reasons. I think Rubblebelt is the better choice. Play 3 or 4 of them.
Things I like:
- Samut, the Tested - This I think could pull off some beautiful combos with haste creatures, especially Ahn-Crop Crasher. Probably would add 1 more, maybe 2.
- Lovisa Coldeyes - He fits the theme well, I'd just add more of him.
- Bloodlust Inciter - Fits your theme well, gives haste, works as a chump blocker, works on curve. I'd probably want to have 3 or 4.
- Prowling Serpopard - Didn't know about this, seems incredibly helpful. Might be situational though, and maybe should be side boarded. If you are going against blue, you want this. Otherwise, something like, Sheltering Word or Blossoming Defense would probably be good in all situations as it protects against direct damage spells, -1/-1 counter spells, etc where as Serpopard does not.
- Khenra Scrapper - Seems like he could be pretty strong when you want to by pass creatures, especially in combo with Ahn-Crop Crasher and Bitterblade Warrior
That's probably way more than you wanted (if you wanted any criticism) but I hope it's helpful. I think the main thing is to focus on Haste and Warriors and/or Exhaust. I think you just need to increase the card count you have on some cards. Here's a quick mock up I did, though I didn't spend a ton of time on it. The main thing you'll notice is I increased card counts on cards I liked, and sideboarded anything I felt was more situational. I also slightly adjusted the Mountain/Forest ratio.
3 weeks ago
Hazoret's Monument will let you cycle through your deck, until you find the cards you needed.
3 weeks ago
I would consider running more damage doubling abilities like Gratuitous Violence and Curse of Bloodletting. You won't be making any friends at the table but that's not what Kazuul is about. I'd also consider running a few artifacts. I run Angel's Trumpet because it's a nice chaos card and kazuul generally keeps a lot of the vigilance creatures going somewhere else at the table. At the very least I'd consider picking up a Ruby Medallion or Hazoret's Monument because monored is wanting in the ramp department. Here's my deck if you want to compare, or if you have any other suggestions Kazuul's Boys
1 month ago
Heya fred! No joke, I just made a deck with this same exact theme yesterday. Ragemongers Anonymous
Another good one is Kragma Warcaller so your beefy bulls have +2 to their power when attacking, and Haste.
And finally, I threw in Coat of Arms for the tribal heck of it.
Have a moo-tastic day, fellow Minotaur Tribalist
1 month ago
Here is a list of budget cards I think you should consider:
Here are some cards that has a little more value:
Another thing I noticed you are lacking is card draw, here is some suggestions:
1 month ago
I would shy away from playing your sweepers in the main deck and move them to the sideboard. I would also run 4x Hazoret the Fervent because if the pro tour has taught us anything, it has taught us that resolving Hazoret first wins games. 4x isn't even that awkward since you can just discard extras to himself. I would also play 4x Ramunap Ruins for pretty obvious reasons, and because this is an aggressive deck the cycle lands are bad so I would change them out for 4x Sunscorched Desert. I'd definitely cut Open Fire since it is just bad value; remember that Collective Defiance and Incendiary Flow are still legal, so play those instead if you want straight burn spells. I'd slam in Earthshaker Khenra in a heartbeat, as well as the other agressive creatures in the format like Ahn-Crop Crasher and Kari Zev, Skyship Raider. Also look at your 1-drop options, since you really want to be playing some. The options are admittedly not that strong right now but one drops are one drops and you need them in aggressive red. Hazoret's Monument is pretty bad in general but especially in this deck since you don't need the creature discount anyways; if you want card advantage, play Bomat Courier. It seems innocuous but it is actually incredible, believe me. I think it is also suspect to see no Chandra, Torch of Defiance anywhere in the 75 since she is easily the best planeswalker and one of the best cards in general in standard right now. For that reason, though, I do like the Chandra's Defeats in the sideboard, good call. I think you could also move 2 Abrades to the board since it doesn't hit face, and same with maybe moving Magma Spray to the board.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Thank you all for your comments & suggestions!!
Atroxreaper Interesting suggestion. It's on my tryout list, soon as I get some more copies
MoGoose831 I'm trying some of your suggestions out.