|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||Rare|
|Commander's Arsenal (CMA)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Legendary Creature — Giant Warrior
Lifelink (Whenever this creature deals damage, you gain that much life.)
, , Sacrifice a creature other than Brion Stoutarm: Brion Stoutarm deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target player.
Commander Recommendations Start Commander Deck
Latest as Commander
Brion Stoutarm Discussion
1 week ago
Hope you're enjoying the deck! Here's a few suggestions if you want from when I had mine together, tempted to rebuild it:
Mimic Vat is tons of fun in this deck. Outside of your own big creatures, sometimes your opponent self-mills something spicy and you can't resist it...
Aetherflux Reservoir is a staple, but it's pretty hilarious when you can fling Serra Avatar , gain your life back, then one shot someone (or two) with it. (Best case scenario, but Brion Stoutarm gains you life throughout the game.
Sigil of the New Dawn lets you get back those creatures you flung.
Moltensteel Dragon is a cute addition. Pay a bunch of life you gained to pump up its power to finish someone off.
Rite of the Raging Storm gets you elementals to throw every turn. Plus, your opponents get them and can only attack each other with them! Mwahahahahaha
Vandalblast is a staple suggestion is all.
3 weeks ago
Not your colors, but Brion Stoutarm is the master of yeeting.
1 month ago
Here's the ones I had a lot of fun with. I changed each of these into tricolor decks, so it's the dual color paired with the tricolor it corresponds with. I think any of the 20 are pretty fun and unique in their own way.
4 months ago
Good start to a deck. Rienne looks like an interesting build, and the built-in recursion is pretty powerful. If I might suggest a few cards that work really well with her; Dauntless Escort , Saffi Eriksdotter and Qasali Pridemage are all cards that self-sacrifice with powerful effects that Rienne, Angel of Rebirth lets you re-use. These cards will help to make your board more sticky and keep Rienne around to keep chugging out that value.
Theres a ton of other multicolored creatures that have reusable effects when they enter, like Duergar Hedge-Mage , Knight of Autumn and Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves . If token making is something you're interested in, then Conclave Cavalier and Trostani's Summoner can do a decent job. If you want some good aggressive finisher cards, theres Gahiji, Honored One and Knight of New Alara who can pump your board pretty nicely, as well as the liege cycle from Lorwyn.
Since the deck is three color, getting the right mana on time might be a bit of a problem. You could do with swapping some of the basics out for some tri-color lands, like Command Tower and Jungle Shrine , and using cheap fetches like Evolving Wilds , Terramorphic Expanse and Krosan Verge can help you get the lands you need as you need them. Replacing cards like Safewright Quest with things like Farseek , Kodama's Reach and Skyshroud Claim are also going to help, as you can never have enough mana in an EDH game, as we all know.
Your deck is also pretty light on removal, stuff like Swords to Plowshares , Sylvan Reclamation , Return to Dust , Generous Gift and Beast Within can get rid of troublesome creatures or permanents that threaten you or stop you winning with creatures. While they aren't flashy, sometimes you just need to get rid of that Rest in Peace before it does too much damage.
Thats my take on just some of the cards I figure could improve the deck, but I'm no expert. Play around with it and see what you like. If you find yourself struggling to cut cards, here's a list of what I feel are the weakest links in your deck, in no particular order; Chandra, Fire Artisan - You have access to better card draw and the burn shouldn't be super relevant most games. Dryad Militant , Vernadi Shieldmate , Skyknight Vanguard , Boros Swiftblade and Sunhome Guildmage all seem fairly low impact. Fatal Frenzy seems odd as your creatures aren't super large, and your commander isn't going to easily win by Commander Damage. War's Toll and Mana Web seem like filler slots, but maybe these help against your local meta?
Hopefully some of this helps, I look forward to seeing how the deck develops in the future.
5 months ago
I must have overlooked that loss of life part, but through a similar vein I would say Brion Stoutarm does a similar effect in a better way.
6 months ago
I thought the last time was the final time I converse w/ such a Dark Art, but...
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 2 | 8 COMMENTS | 159 VIEWS
After all the times I have thought of, even w/ multiple Wincons (Even a One-Sided Helm of Obedience + Rest in Peace where everyone but you mills their library combined w/ some artifice that untaps. (BTW, I really like the Rest in Peace in Signature Spellbook: Gideon. Very well done flavor. T_T
Since I'm trying to do an infinite combo on such a duo, that's not the only combo I'd want to do. Outside of the other two combos focusing on infinite damage or even infinite Combat Phases, I've several things to address.
A: Are there any other truly competitive Boros Combos so few ever talk of that are also cEDH worthy? It's quite fine if you say no, if none; in such a case, I already have three as it is.
B: With stuff coming from War of the Spark (WAR), & Modern Horizon (MH1), I already have Prismatic Vista , & even the new Talisman of Conviction (My very conviction right now is making an archetype truly good; If so few cEDH Commanders can win before Turn Three, I'll have to try & take advantage of this fact before even those that are close to doing it also suffer. But the limits of Boros are truly high, so even if a Tier 3 can somehow beat even a Tier 2, that in itself is Manipulating Fate itself.), can you guys think of anything good from either set in Boros colors already not used yet?
C: The CMDR that will prepare for Pre-Flight, & Ultimately, shine above all others. For this list, I'll mention some things that might actually work, but I'm also mentioning everyone else in a hard decision for a CMDR for this:
* Adriana, Captain of the Guard : Was there an Aggro for cEDH? Yes, actually. Breakfast Hulk Thrasios / Tymna . Ironically, there are many variants of this trope, though the strict rule (Mostly.) is that you need Protean Hulk . Boros doesn't even have a card like that in their colors, otherwise, it actually would have such combos in mind. For this, the ol' Hulk Combo is out; unless you have a secret 4th combo that can be used here as a kind of Hulk combo; & no, we're not Naga Wizards capable of Sultai () Magic, much less stuff that might as well have in a CMDR's Color identity (We already have A Snow Creature w/ that as it is.). Regardless, anyone who has an idea for a Hulk Alternative for Boros, Post IMMEDIATELY. I'd love to put it in no matter how slow. For now...
* Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran : Strictly worse than Adriana. Instead of tapping like mad, those in you control get +2/+0, while creatures also attacking get +0/+2. (Attacking creatures w/ defense support. (Screams Internally).) At least Adriana attacks, & the others get a bonus for attacking all the same! Again, we need a Boros Hulk Combo of some kind.
* Akiri, Line-Slinger : This one actually makes more sense than both former cards (& maybe more.). First Strike, & Vigilance means she can Attack, & Block many threats. While her toughness is relatively low; only 3, Akiri's Power, although starting at 0, increases for each artifact you control. Since this has a crapton on of them, this might actually go far; in addition to the fact this can strike, & block at the same turn. Do NOT underestimate a Kor that uses lines af if she is a Kusari-Gama Practioner...
* Anax and Cymede : Like the aforementioned Akiri, this King & Queen duo of Akros has both First Strike & Vigilance; but Heroic really hurts them more than most. Heroic requires these two to be targeted by a spell you control, not an ability. Stuff that enters play has to target these before their part of the Stack resolves; & we don't even have anything to back this up! Why can't we just act like Assassins, & murder both rulers w/o anyone noticing?
* Anya, Merciless Angel : This Angel is Automatic crap. No opponent would go near 20 just to make this Warrior of God have Indestructible, much less have a +3/+3 boost. Is this possible anywhere? The answer is no. Easily one of the worst Boros Commanders in my book; We already have better flyers anyway.
* Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice : Better than anything the Wojec Troops can even allow in, the 2nd iteration of Aurelia Flies better, gives a +1/+1 Counter on those w/ lower power; but that's not saying much, she has only 2 Power, & 5 Toughness. & while Agrus would be jealous of the fact she gives Creatures Vigilance, is opposed to a meaningless +0/+2, Aurelia is certainly no leader of a Guild that is reckless in combat for so long. If it means Mana Bleed, The Legion needs a better leader...
* Aurelia, the Warleader : Ah, OI! We already have her in the 99 via a combo! We don't need her as a Commander on her own terms!
* Basandra, Battle Seraph : Another surprisingly decent Leader of War, &... (sigh)... A sadist; but we've seen worse in Mono- alone. Anyways, She flies, Locksdown spells in combat, & even forces enemy creatures to attack; three great qualities such a CMDR needs in these colors. We now have our potential applicant Numero Dos, alongside Akiri, Line-Slinger . Is it possible this deck might have its own Dominatrix-sama? Well, we're certainly not finished here, we still have more...
* Brion Stoutarm : Easily my choice for Giant Tribal, but NOT a cEDH Commander. Lifelink is really good here, unless somebody makes you want to gain life from a card in play. Really discerning when everything a Giant Tribe Leader throws at your opponents is truly horrific as you gain life. Only one card like this also exists as a Commander in this identity. & "they" have much higher potential than this Beast; which, contrary to popular children's jokes, has a Bigger Brain than even Aminatou's head as a whole. XP
* Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder : Where Akiri succeeds in pure raw power, & can still react, ol Bruce (Because Bruse as a name makes no sense at all.), however, is the idiot Herder that's not only an idiot, but not even a dumb fattie. He has to enter play or attack to grant ONE creature Double Strike, & Lifelink. One creature isn't going to cut it, Ally of Tazri. This is basically combat restricted; & only on your turn. What a damned waste.
(& while we're at it...)
Akiri, & Bruce as Partners (Meaning you only need to worry about 98 other garbage.) does make both Allies better than they initially were (w/ Akiri.), or will never be (w/ Bruce.). One shotting an opponent by bypassing Akiri's First Strike & converting it to Double Strike does make winning a lot easier, but we already have an infinite combat phase combo anyway, so, why the hell should I care?!
* Depala, Pilot Exemplar : Depala was never meant to be truly good, but the problem with this monstrosity is that Depala is meant as a Tribe Leader backed up w/ more Vehicualar Manslaughtering Depala should've had as a Commander. Sure, Dwarves are great here, but we're making a deck that can seriously perform, not make a Dwarf army that act like reckless idiots that do just fine on their own (Most Dwarves as of the Kaladesh Block don't have to rely on Vehicular Destruction for the most part.) Don't get me wrong, some Vehicles are awesome, but so few are truly great, & even Depala barely knows any of them; she just wants to make an army of Vehicle piloted Dwarves. Maybe a Five Vehicle Group that behaves like GoLion/Voltron, or even Daizyujin/the Dino Megazord would be fun... ^_^
* Feather, the Redeemed : This may as well go down in MTG history as the greatest Boros Commander ever. This is also a kind of Commander that says: Your mileage may vary. Since we aren't running a lot of Nonperms in comparison to the rest of this deck, this is actually useless. Good cost and all, but even recurring the few Nonperms makes this a waste. However, it does get an Honorable Mention for getting the closest so far for being of cEDH quality... ...Until you realize 2 Minotaur would love to say: Konnichi-AH!
* Firesong and Sunspeaker : Burn everything, & gain life for it. These two Minotaurs would love you playing some big burn spells in exchange for healing you if they aren't Permanents. But loves burning the crap out of anything, & is complemented by 's ability to heal as the fire settles. Regardless though, even to this day, I really wanted to find a loophole w/ these beasties in which you gain life, while your opponent gets cremated, & lasts for eternity; all w/o some ruling WotC declared, or a card that its effects don't end even after the smoldering. Anyone who can find such a card, let me know right away; I'd love to make this kind of deck... ;)
* Gisela, Blade of Goldnight : Flying, First Strike, Doubling damage from you, & even halving opposing damage, rounding up; Gisela is one of the greatest Angels in MTG History, considering her pure presence as she enters play, her overall power & Grace is a monster to beheld. But that's not saying much; Gisela has gotten significantly weaker than it originally was. Gisela #1's flaws come from a manacost you won't pay in time. & even using the wrath of Gisela is probably better off w/ Heartless Hidetsugu & a damage doubler that at least leaves you w/ one life, rounded up... As for damage, even Aurelia, the Warleader & even Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker can do so much better at a faster rate.
* Iroas, God of Victory : Having a God in these colors are great. Indestructible is also good. Having a Dolmen Gate effect is amazing, & giving all your creatures Menace? The only restriction is your Devotion & Conviction to both & needs to be 7up, otherwise, it's not a creature. But if Aggro is hellish in this manner, What other Commander of The Legion would you want? This makes Iroas Boros cEDH Commander #3; alongside Akiri, Line-Slinger , & Basandra, Battle Seraph ; But I can't stress this out; Boros needs its own Hulk Combo in such colors; I don't care if it means adding artifice!
* Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer : First Strike has already been demonstrated before in very well done manner. Metalcraft will give your creatures +3/+0 as long as you have 3 or more Artifacts. No pressure, we already have a lot. & a 5/4 is not that scoffable to a degree either. There's just one problem. Jor himself; he has to be in play to use his Metalcrafting of otherwise, Phyrexian alloy. W/o one of the few Mirran Resistance members left, that boost ceases to exist. Don't get me wrong, an 8/4 is uncalled of, but that's just an idea for a really stupid fat cell massing. It's no wonder the Praetors won; how many Mirran are left?
* Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas : Just shortly after talking about Iroas himself, we have what should be a Disciple of that God. Not even close. Double Strike & Vigilange all at once is amazing; but, that is all. During Commander 2015, there were several Commanders of enemy 2 colors, some better than others. If you want to know who, I'll explain your Folly!
* Meren of Clan Nel Toth : Gains an experience counter every time a creature besides Meren you control dies. The more experience Meren has during the end step, the bigger creatures she can recur back into play!
* Mizzix of the Izmagnus : When you cast an Instant or Sorcery more than the number of experience counters, you gain one. Each counter represent one less to cast them.
* Daxos the Returned : For every Enchantment you cast, you gain an experience counter. You can create a Spirit Enchantment Creature w/ X/X where X in the number of experience counters you have.
* Ezuri, Claw of Progress : When you cast a creature with Power 2 or less enters play, you get an experience counter. At the beginning of Combat, another creature gets +X/+X, where X is the number of Experience Counters.
But what about this Giant? Hold onto your butts. It sucks. She requires to cast creatures w/ 5CMC or more to even grant you a counter of this kind. What do you get in return? Just a +1/+1 boost for each counter. While you are trying to afford to cast fatties that suck, someone might say to you about this whimp: "I beat you in 5 turns." (Your usual Commander Game.), "I beat you in 2 turns', (Now we're reaching cEDH level territory, but only slightly.) or worse: "You lose before your next turn."! Boros doesn't have time for trying to buff your creatures in such a slow speed, & neither should the God of Victory himself!
* Munda, Ambush Leader : Thought Boros Commanders were bad already? Even Tazri herself (Himself?) would relieve this imbecile of duty permanently, & feed her to the Eldrazi Swarm. Haste is alright, but all other things about this being blow. As an Ally, Munda just searches your Top 4 cards of your library to find one thing; at least one other Ally to Topdeck. The rest is put onto the bottom of your library in a random order. The Pinnacle of Dishonorable Mentions in Boros? Your pick, Boss.
* Razia, Boros Archangel : Actually, THIS is the Pinnacle of Dishonorable Mentions in the colors allotted. 8CMC basically means you'll already be too late to cast this Outcast of the Legion (Even w/ Mana Rocks, this is a very hard task, even in a Base Commander Game.)! & even if you can cast this, her abilities are truly lackluster. Flying, Vigilance, & Haste would've all been amazing, IF RAZIA WAS DAMN CHEAPER TO CAST! Even tapping her to even redirect combat damage compromises her "already awesome in these colors" Vigilance! & she can only handle 3 of that damage! Uh... I hope you don't mind, Razia-sama, but I'm going to have to Lightning Bolt your ass to nothing. SPECIAL DELIVERY!
* Tajic, Blade of the Legion : The Guildrunner of Boros Legion has some very awesome tricks. First, he's indestructible, & 2nd, if he & at least 2 others attack, he gets +5/+5. This boosts him from a meager 2/2 to a freaking 7/7. There's just one problem w/ this. The bonus isn't shared to other attackers you declare, & Tajic himself just was nominated by the Boros Legion to find an end to a certain "Implicit Maze". Just fighting w/ two others only to have you w/ all the benefits reaped to you & all others pissed at you for not having such abilities? Pass.
* Tajic, Legion's Edge : Haste actually seems to work better here, Tajic also has more potential w/ Mentor than Aurelia can ever dream of doing. Also, Noncombat Damage dealt to creatures besides Tajic are negated. Even Paying for first strike seems sound here. The only problem w/ this is that nearly all Tajic has just seem's... underwhelming... Oh well, Maybe I'm not cut up to be a Legion Cadet after all. Oh well, time to Swab the Deck; speaking of this...
* Tiana, Ship's Caretaker : Flying & First Strike in the Air sounds awesome. Being able to recur Auras, & Equipment back to your hand at the next end step is also awesome. One problem though; we already have a merciless Guild Leader w/ her own combo. Nice try, Tiana. Swab the Deck, dammit. Jhoira stated the direct order.
* Archangel Avacyn Flip: A Flashing into Play Commander in Boros? Nice. Flying? Great. Vigilance? Is this my life I'm living? I'm doubting this. Indestructible for all you creatures, including Ava-fricken-cyn?! OMG! How can she get better than that? Well, let's kill off one of our own, (One turn later.) Holy... Avacyn is Transforming? I'm fricken loving this! She is now... Avacyn, the Purifier . S---. I'm going to have to tank that damage, & I've seen better use of damage anyway. Regardless, I actually do recommend Archangel Avacyn Flip regardless. The Road so far? Akiri, Line-Slinger , Basandra, Battle Seraph , Iroas, God of Victory , & now Archangel Avacyn Flip reach the best thus far, Boros' Fantastic 4; just, not the MARVEL franchise; it sucks.
* Khorvath Brightflame & Sylvia Brightspear : I might need a famous weapon to smite these two... Easily one of the Worse Duos from Battlebond, I'd rather use Akiri & Bruce over these anyday. Starting w/ Khorvath, I love the Flying & Haste thing going on thus far, but a duo where Knights & Dragons are the ultimate enemies? So why would Khorvath Brightflame, Envoy of the End give your Knights his exact abilities?! Sylvia Brightspear, Envoy of the Beginning has Double Strike, but gives Dragons the same thing. Merely just Vanilla Statistics, this is Tier 5 garbage, Envoy of Post-Time. We've already explored numerous times that Tribal Components in cEDH don't work so well. This is the last I'll say that here. Also the last thing I'll say is If anyone has an idea for a Boros Hulk Combo, let me know!
Overall: Akiri, Line-Slinger , Basandra, Battle Seraph , Iroas, God of Victory , & now Archangel Avacyn Flip are the four candidates for this kind of deck. All that said, I just want to cut to 100 cards, find even just one more combo if needed, & at least playtest from there. If you have something to add, here, you must also suggest a cut as well, or, just simply mention a cut. I want to make the most competitive Boros can ever make, where all others failed. Wish all of us good luck.
Oh, BTW, as I'm making a Simic deck, I read Rashmi, Eternities Crafter can cast cards like Wildest Dreams nonstop. Since that card is an X-Cost, how do cards leave exile in such a way done in her colors? Kruphix would love to put her in...
7 months ago
Let me go through your points.
- xD What? cEDH doesn't make you win by turn 3? Most lists can't do that, midrange combo like Kess Turns and Yisan lists aim for turns 4-5ish and use a mix of removal and hate to stop faster opponents. Control/Stax decks from Control Zur, Blood Pod, or Derevi win much later, after locking out faster combo opponents with permission, removal, stax, and hate.
It is true you need to be affecting the board state in a heavy way by turn three, but you definitely do not need to win by then.
- Wrong, Boros does have efficient infinite combos that do not need to spend a long amount of time to physically go through each trigger, such as the popular cEDH Aurelia, the Warleader + Helm of the Host list, using a stax-core for the list, as well as an abundance of tutors, such as Steelshaper's Gift or Stoneforge Mystic to set up the combo.
Another popular competitive viable Boros combo was using Imperial Recruiter with Recruiter of the Guard , to fetch Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker , to copy the Recruiter of choice to fetch Combat Celebrant or Village Bell-Ringer to go infinite with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker .
Point is, Boros always had good win conditions that went infinite and were effectively 1-card combos too, (Just need Helm + Commander or Recruiter+what it tutors for in deck) for what it is worth.
- Aurelia, being a strong combo-enabler also happens to remove the argument that prior to Feather, WotC only made bad commanders that only revolve around creature-beatdown strategies or dumb tribal shenanigans.
Gisela was often used in conjunction with effects like Manabarbs for a stax-lockdown deck, Firesong and Sunspeaker is a burn-lifegain deck, very spell-focused, Brion Stoutarm was a list based around sacrifice and recursion, with lifegain synergies to boot, etc.
After this you say that "BOROS HAS YET TO DO THAT", referring to non-combat commander support, again I look to Gisela, Firesong/Sunspeaker, and Brion.
Then you bring up that tier 1 lists always go off turn 3 and you can't be competitive without that, again, BS, Yisan, Teferi, and Sisay and tier 1 decks, of which two are stax-combo hybrids that often go the stax-y control route and Yisan is midrange-y, etc.
Then you go into the 5 things you want to do to get this deck where you want. I don't see why as Aurelia is a tier 3 cEDH list anyway, but who cares.
All commander decks need to be 100 cards exactly anyway to be a commander deck, this is not specific to cEDH.
No, many people build budgeted cEDH decks, but just like any competitive event for standard, modern, legacy, vintage, and pauper, playing a budgeted variant will lose you games. Also, many players to do accept the use of proxies, and in competitive EDH tournaments or side events and Grand Prix's, or now Magic Fests, you can be disqualified for using proxies.
That is not a rule of cEDH, while it isn't a bad suggestion, it is not necessary for the vast majority of faster combo decks, that only need to protect their combo, or for stax decks with hate that can stop threats before they are cast, or stop them from being cast, well before having a removal or counterspell up is necessary.
I would suggest the old Helm of Obedience / Rest in Peace combo for the deck or a Kiki-Jiki package to play with. Running Rest in Peace as graveyard hate is often useful enough to warrant inclusion in any cEDH white list not aiming on using the graveyard for itself, and this list shouldn't so recursion based.
Wrong, not that Boros has great effects, it does, but the arrogance in saying that nobody knows them is astounding to me xD.
After this you make it sound like there is a mob of cEDH players who say Boros is "forbidden". I have only heard that word said in cEDH as a reference to Forbidden Orchard xD.
Then you complain about infinite creature combos stopping you from having fun, and claim Azathoth from the Lovecraftian pantheon is the most powerful media character (must never have heard of SCP-3812), and ramble on about inane things.
Then you actually go crazy. Not about Boros, not about anything else mtg related, you literally claim you are "The only person willing to help on Earth." No joke, read it. Lunatic.
Starts quoting some BS after that, and immediately goes into talking about cuts for the list. Actually, this concerns me for BMHKain's mental health. This is some deeply disturbing stuff.
Then goes into quoting something about Tokyo, and apologizes for having some of the really weird stuff throughout.
Okay, wtf was that. You start by going on some factually incorrect assumptions about cEDH, then all Boros commanders, then all Boros combos, then on basic EDH rules like having 100 cards... then you go off the deep end, and ask about cutting cards.
7 months ago
Its a semi-comp but closer to casual deck based around Brion Stoutarm . Utilizing the Phoenix archetype of returning to the field after they get flung by the commander constantly.
I just need help finishing and improving it a bit more to make it more efficient. I will take all advice with the highest degree, even completely changing the deck format to better fit with the needs of the immortal birdies.
I've been dead set on using all the known good Phoenix cards that actually resurrect into an EDH deck ever since I got back into MTG and any advice will be very helpful.
Brion Stoutarm occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%