Kami of Ancient Law
Creature — Spirit
Sacrifice Kami of Ancient Law: Destroy target enchantment.
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Common|
|Champions of Kamigawa (CHK)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Kami of Ancient Law Discussion
10 months ago
I'd make room for:
- Gelid Shackles (and run all snow plains)
- Bonds of Faith (if it's a human just tutor a different one)
- Compulsory Rest (its fine)
- Crown of Awe (backup)
- Luminous Bonds (pacifism is strong even at 3cmc)
- Revoke Privileges (^)
- Bound in Silence (^^)
- Caught in the Brights (^^^)
.. by taking out:
- Mortal Obstinacy (very meh, even for removal)
- Lifelink (nice but not needed at the most competitive place, which you're going for)
- Empyrial Armor (ethereal armor and some others are enough, just extra)
- Chosen by Heliod (cantrip is not worth tutoring for this meh)
- Armillary Sphere (is only used for colorfixing in decks with lots of colors and no green)
- Apothecary Geist (I understand you need tutor triggers but you've got plenty and this is your worst spirit)
- Shinen of Stars' Light (meh)
- Kami of Ancient Law (meh)
1 year ago
- Koskun Falls More taxing effects are great for this deck.
- Comeuppance An instant speed punish for someone wanting to go all in against us.
- Crush Contraband Artifact and Enchantment spot removal, much needed addition.
Cleansing Meditation Enchantment board wipe that will usually bring all of our enchantments back.
- Thunderstaff Too slow and isn't overly useful for us since we don't go wide on the board as much, however may come back if I feel like giving our opponents creatures a +1/+0 will help us end the game sooner.
- Virtus the Veiled Not enough evasion effects in the deck to make running this guy worth it.
- Kami of Ancient Law Needed better removal; swapped out for Crush Contraband .
- Dark Petition Not enough instants and sorceries to always hit the spell mastery in this deck.
1 year ago
I thank you for your comment.
As for Comeuppance , what a great card in here! I'll likely replace Virtus the Veiled with that. I don't see me ever really connecting to a player with him to make it worthwhile unless I have Break Through the Line on the field.
As for having a board wipe, I've honestly been thinking of replacing Magus of the Disk with Merciless Eviction . But since it hits everything I'm worried it would put me so far behind on the board. What board wipes would you recommend for this style of play?
1 year ago
Love the deck with it's niche playstyle and flavor. But sir, Melesse Spirit has spirit in the name, but is an angel by subtype, rendering a lack of synergy with the commander. Kami of Ancient Law is a nice removal creature and is synergistic with the commander, so it might be a more suitable replacement. +1 from me, i love the chaos.
1 year ago
Ok, this deck has a simple problem. Rather than building win-cons, you've filled a lot of card slots with big, game-ending spells. I'm seeing four combos and big creatures.
The issue with doing this can be explained pretty quickly- Combo cards are effectively blank until you get both parts of them, and high mana cost cards are blank until you can cast them. Most of the game is how you get to your big stuff, rather than staring at them in your hand and wishing you could use them, so that should be reflected on how much of your deck is 'I win if I cast this' compared to 'I need to survive to cast this'.
This basically means that this deck consists of Predator Ooze, Heritage Druid Noble Hierarch Essence Warden and Champion of Lambholt, but your hands will only have one or two of them at most. In modern, most decks will have two removal spells and a way of winning by turn five, so you will lose against most decks unless you get very lucky.
There are some simple solutions to this. This genreally means reducing the number of combo cards while increasing your ways to make sure that they arent 'blank'. Tutors, pseudo tutors, making sure your combos are good without both halves.
You don't want to be attacking enough for Dense Canopy to reliably provide value, so its normally blank- you can replace it. Similarly, Spring Cleaning/Primeval Light takes a long time to be useful, while something like (Felidar Cub/Keening Apparition/Kami of Ancient Law or in particular Qasali Pridemage or Thrashing Brontodon can be bears and destroy all the important stuff the turn evening resolves- its still basically a wipe, its just useful prior to being a wipe.
Your only black cards are Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood. They end the game, but without four of each (and Vizkopa Guildmage) it is difficult for them to be in your hand and to reliably cast them. Spells like Zealous Persecution Mortify or Anguished Unmaking could play well with different gamplans but you should cut both of them, and focus more on two colours, as the mana is a lot easier to provide (as cards you can't cast are basically blank).
So, when you are looking at a card in this deck or to add to this deck, think through several things. 'How does it help me' 'When does it help me' and 'when don't I want it'. This means finding versatile cards which can destroy enchantments but are also creatures or have multiple modes (hello Austere Command/Primal Command). Try to pick cards that don't just help with one of your gamplans, but all your gameplans. Similarly. if a gamplan just isn't working out, consider cutting it for more support, or cutting something else to support it more.
I really reccomend focussing on 1 drops that help generate mana/life, and 5 drops that have a big impact the moment they are played (Thragtusk, Painful Quandary) etc. A set of 2/3 mana cards that form your combos or can search your library for them (Idyllic Tutor, Lost Auramancers etc) and a smaller number of wincons. Foccusing in on what you want to do really helps you with picking cards that help you get there.
2 years ago
I think I'm going to remove Sunforger, as much as I like it as a card, I don't want to rework my deck to work around it. Here's what I've so far come up with as outliers in my deck.
Avarice Amulet is expensive. I need a good draw card to replace it, maybe an artifact? Suggestions welcome. Boros sucks for draw. Same with Inheritance. It's good in theory, but when I get done playing a creature, and casting Threaten and activating Fling on Brion Stoutarm I'm likely to be out of mana.
Yosei, the Morning Star A generally awesome card, but it's death effect doesn't make a huge impact most of the time, even if I'm tapping their lands etc.
2 years ago
2 years ago