|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Ashes of the Abhorrent
Players can't cast spells from graveyards or activate abilities of cards in graveyards.
Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life.
Ashes of the Abhorrent Discussion
1 week ago
I made a chopping block, figuring I can live without these cards and replace them with probably lands but other cards for sure. I threw most of this together a little quickly after all:
Yahenni, Undying Partisan , Mother of Runes , Dread Shade , Well of Lost Dreams , Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant , Wall of Glare , Iona, Shield of Emeria , Obzedat, Ghost Council , Sentry of the Underworld , Lord of the Void , True Conviction , Ashes of the Abhorrent , Swords to Plowshares
I also just straight swapped my Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds for swamps. I end up using them to search for one 90% of the time anyways, and more swamps lets my Extraplanar Lens give me more.
1 month ago
Hey, nice budget deck. Budget cards to consider adding that can be repeatable sources of life gain or be value when you gain life are helpful especially if they trigger when your opponents play cards:
- Soul Warden
- Soul's Attendant
- Dawn of Hope
- Vizkopa Guildmage
- Pristine Talisman
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation
- Suture Priest
- Crested Sunmare : triggers at the beginning of each end step (yours and opponents end steps) if you gained life that turn.
Cards to consider cutting are some that only give you a one time effect or they're not worth the mana cost:
- Reviving Dose
- Intervention Pact
- Altar's Reap
- Vizkopa Confessor
- Seal of Cleansing
- Consume the Meek
- Slaughter the Strong
You mentioned switching to Kambal as Commander. I think this is a good idea; Kambal is underrated in multiplayer Commander. He effects any opponent when one them casts a noncreature spell that's powerful when you have three opponents. Even if you don't switch I would play Kambal in any Orzhov deck you make. Obzedat can be a singleton in Kambal, but I don't know if you even need him because his mana cost is difficult when playing 28 basic lands and not much color fixing such as Chromatic Lantern .
All my card suggestions can work just as well in a deck with Kambal as Commander. With Kambal as Commander you could combine life gain/budget stax/hate bears. Obviously these strategy will change your deck a lot, but it's worth testing. Budget cards to consider:
1 month ago
I've made a number of recent updates here.
- Hanna, Ship's Navigator - I've got a few other ways to recur enchantments, and she's just way to slow. I've never had her survive until my next turn to actually use her.
- Fountain Watch - I prefer Sterling Grove since I can sac it if I need to stick some auras on an enchantment creature.
- Ashes of the Abhorrent - not really relevant in my meta.
- Vanishing - I absolutely love this card and may end up putting it back in. But flickering ward has been doing way more work for me, and there's been a number of times where leaving up is a pain.
- Paradoxical Outcome - with so many draw engines already the card draw was irrelevant, and I've never actually been in a situation where I was able to use it to save some permanents. Also I have ways to get them back from the graveyard.
- Wilderness Reclamation - I added it when Sigarda's Aid was still in there, but I don't think either really add anything.
- Authority of the Consuls - I've found it to be very minimal benefit
- Dawn's Reflection - While a great EDH ramp card, I already have the exact same function in Market Festival , and it felt like I have enough ramp without it.
- Soul Snare - I kinda liked the idea of the threat on the battlefield for a similar effect to Ghostly Prison , but I think it's just too weak of a card.
- Yavimaya Enchantress - I cut this long ago and I'm not entirely sure why... but she's back in now.
- Enchanted Evening - Haven't had a chance to cast it yet, but I can see this doing some outrageous things here. Makes any permanent, including lands: trigger card draw from enchantresses, buf Yavimaya Enchantress / Ancestral Mask / Tuvasa the Sunlit . It also makes everything protected by Privileged Position .
- Mystic Remora - not gonna lie, I mainly added it because I love the art. But I think it can be a pretty powerful card here depending on the matchup. And the cumulative upkeep is essentially free in EDH.
- Privileged Position - I had this in here already at one point but cut it because of the high CMC. But I think I've got enough ramp at this point to make it well worth having.
- Blind Obedience - Not sure if this is a keeper yet, but there is a Breya combo deck in my local meta.
- Mirari's Wake - Ramp! This card is insane, not sure why I didn't have it in here from the start.
- Omniscience - Not sure if it's a keeper because of the super high CMC, but it does seem like pretty much a game ender as long as there's a card draw engine on the battlefield.
- Earthcraft + Squirrel Nest - I just couldn't help myself, I want infinite squirrels! Earthcraft is also relevant on it's own with all the land enchantments. I may end up cutting Squirrel Nest , as I'm not sure I like infinite combos in EDH, but that's not happening until I have a chance to use!
1 month ago
You said in your thread in the deck help forum that you wanted to get it down to 66, so that is 18 cuts.
Trespasser's Curse - Curses feel unnecessarily antagonistic and this one doesn't do much.
Curator's Ward - Unlikely to ever draw you cards.
Ashes of the Abhorrent - Not good unless your meta is very graveyard heavy.
Prowler's Helm - Not a very good piece of evasion equipment.
Wing Shards - Bad except against voltron.
Nightmare's Thirst - Hardly ever going to kill anything of importance.
Mana Leak - The type of games you are likely to play with this deck tax counters won't matter.
Convolute - See above.
Healing Grace - 1 shot small amounts of lifegain aren't worth a card slot.
Dark Ritual - Rituals aren't great in commander unless it is to ramp directly into a victory and you have no insta-wins.
Vampire Sovereign - ETB doesn't justify paying the price for the body in a non-blink deck.
Angel of the God-Pharaoh - 6 mana 4/4 isn't worth it just because it has cycling.
Diamond Mare - Going to gain you much less life than you think it will.
Underworld Coinsmith - Effects aren't strong enough.
Bonus round, these cards are all relatively weak and I really think that maybe you wanted angel tribal and didn't want to say it was a tribal deck.
2 months ago
For your wife's avacyn deck, I would consider running Faith's Reward , Rebuff the Wicked , as well as Lapse of Certainty . Also Sun Titan would be nice for recursion synergies with Aura of Silence, Grasp of Fate, O-Ring and such. I am also a fan of Sublime Archangel , but that's going into angel tribal lol.
Hmm Austere Command would be helpful as well, as the modular choices gives you options to work with. Tragic Arrogance is another one where it can reset the board as it makes people sacrifice instead of destroy, which gets around some clauses. Sword of the Animist is good for the consistent ramp. Since your not running any planeswalkers, The Immortal Sun is a great source for cost reduction, buff, as well as card draw.
For tech hate you can run Blind Obedience or Ashes of the Abhorrent if you want to run them, even Grafdigger's Cage as well if you play against those types of decks as well. Authority of the Consuls if you going against more of the going wide strategies.
Hope that helps for your wife's deck!
3 months ago
I don't see how anything here can go infinite, what am I missing? also you need to add cards, right now its only 45 cards. If you did want infinite combos in here maybe you could add Requiem Angel Viscera Seer Pitiless Plunderer . With these cards you could get infinite life, tokens and mana. All you have to do is get Requiem Angel out and Divine Visitation , then sac an angel to Viscera Seer , this gives you a spirit token which becomes an angel. No you can do this as many times as you want and with Pitiless Plunderer and Ashes of the Abhorrent in play you get infinite life and infinite treasure tokens. Idk it's just a thought.
3 months ago
Just a quick question hkhssweiss. Would you happen to have an Ashes of the Abhorrent lying around that you aren't using? I've been wanting to pick one up and was curious if you had one (don't think so since it's not on the list, but it never hurts to ask).
3 months ago
h0ly_danc3r Regna was good but mainly to tutor and provide sac fodder to Krav. I ended up taking them out in my latest update, but I want to find a place for them again at some point. If you're going for more of a lifegain package, then bloodlord and sunmare definitely seem good, but I'd include some more consistent lifegain death triggers to make sure you can gain life each turn no matter what. Some cards I can suggest are: Ashes of the Abhorrent (especially if your playgroup has graveyard shenanigans), Gate to the Afterlife (which I've decided to include just for the looting), Pious Evangel Flip, Proper Burial , and maybe Deathgreeter .
Ashes of the Abhorrent occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%