|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Ashes of the Abhorrent
Players can't cast spells from graveyards or activate abilities of cards in graveyards.
Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||Pyre_Vulpine96 , Vasbear1 , TheRealPeaches , saj0219 , dizzierabit , Skulldrey , Spinalripper , ZeroKotaha , KingOfGrixis , Mortiferus_Rosa , PTsmitty , The_Grape , philktoken8998 , firemind12 , golgarigirl , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Ashes of the Abhorrent Discussion
3 days ago
All appear to be working, though they break when the "card:" prefix is used. Have you tried without the prefix?
6 days ago
1 week ago
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
3 weeks ago
I can see that working well. In practice, Fumigate is also bonkers. Either you cast it before Mastery so you can play it without fear, or you cast it after, and gain 12 life draw 12 cards.
Then I added Ashes of the Abhorrent. Very interesting in this deck. Gain 24, draw 24? Every time you sac a creature you gain life? And draw a card. Everytime they lose a creature also? Unfortunately doesn't blend with Embalm, but fortunately it it turns off enemy Scarab God.
3 weeks ago
Wouldn't Ashes of the Abhorrent stop you from using your embalm and externalize abilities? I'm building a similar deck but i'm not sure whether to add that card in.
1 month ago
1 month ago
I would cut 13 Plains.
As for actual cuts, Belbe's Portal just never impressed me as opposed to actual ramp cards. However, it does allow for flash and a small mana reduction, so I might be wrong.
Staff of the Sun Magus just doesn't do enough. You'll be gaining excessive amounts of life anyway, so a 3-mana artifact that lets you gain 1-2 life a turn is pretty much pointless.
Oketra's Monument, Scroll of Avacyn, and Sun Droplet also seem too low effect to be worth a card slot. Sun Droplet is only good if you want a lot of whenever you gain life triggers, like in Karlov of the Ghost Council. Oketra's Monument is a bad Pearl Medallion, and I don't think the warrior tokens are too important in your deck. And Scroll of Avacyn is just pretty bad.
That's what I saw to cut. I, too, am building Lyra Dawnbringer (I pulled a foil at prerelease!), do you think you could help me with cuts?
Commander / EDH*
1 VIEW | IN 1 FOLDER