|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for a Dragon creature card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Sarkhan's Triumph Discussion
6 days ago
Big Update - The "Flying Matters" sub-theme is no more. Incorporated many recommendations of Vlasiax to streamline the deck and make it a little leaner and meaner.
Spit Flame , Mana Flare , Heartbeat of Spring , The Immortal Sun , Skarrgan Hellkite , Hellkite Tyrant , Kilnmouth Dragon , Bladewing the Risen , Darigaaz Reincarnated , Shizo, Death's Storehouse , and Woodland Cemetery
Worldly Tutor , Sarkhan's Triumph , Night's Whisper , Nature's Claim , Abrupt Decay , Dragonlord's Servant , Dragonspeaker Shaman , Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma , Patriarch's Bidding , Evolving Wilds , and Terramorphic Expanse
1 week ago
1 week ago
About that - main problem here is that you want to have too much high CMC cards that make 'cool things' but it's better to settle for less and actually get there. Playing Dragon tribe already fills your high end of the curve so we need to focus on lower CMC interaction/ramp/draw to get to cast as many of the mentioned creatures as possible.
That's why Crucible of Fire and Sight of the Scalelords are bad but you seem to discover another way to win besides fight with big beaters - it's reanimator strategy. So I'd rather get 4/4 or 5/5 Dragon with Animate Dead for AND do something else than cast one of those enchantments and pass, hoping that it survives on board. I personally use reanimation with Dragon Tempest as a secondary strategy to kill as many people as possible with damage from dragons coming back and then smash the rest with them, since they get haste.
Abrupt Decay has that advantage of hitting NONLAND permaments... so creatures, enchantments, artifacts, planeswalkers all go down. While Vraska's Contempt is overpriced Path to Exile in black since planeswalkers can be overrun with Dragons and 2 life gain is negligible. It's not about hitting someone's Craterhoof Behemoth or in your case Hellkite Overlord it's about dealing with Sylvan Library / Phyrexian Arena , Chromatic Lantern or Yisan, the Wanderer Bard that get them there. And that's the lesson that I learned few months back and made drastic changes to my deck - Bow before Draconic King!!! | *WAR* Update. It's still a Dragon deck but has everything that early game requires so I can still compete with better tuned decks of others.
That's why for changes I'd propose:
- Kilnmouth Dragon -> Night's Whisper - instead of giving someone information what you have for 7 mana you get 2 cards for 2 that noone sees besides you
- Skarrgan Hellkite -> Selvala, Heart of the Wilds or Lotus Cobra - 5 mana for 4/4 flyer that can be 5/5 with overpriced activated ability is bad... you'll be better off with one of these dorks for 2-3 CMC.
- Crucible of Fire -> Nature's Claim - lowers the avg. CMC, let's you be more reactive and holding on for interaction on opponents turn is easy to do.
- Spit Flame -> Sarkhan's Triumph - overpriced damage restricted to creatures might be good in Standard but not EDH. Try out tutor instead and thank me later :D
- The Immortal Sun -> Gruul Signet / Rakdos Signet - I know it's an epic card and all but... it's cost is huge, you might actually cast 6 CMC Dragon instead of this and to actually get there you can run early ramp so 1-2 turns earlier flying behemoth will be way more dangerous.
- Hellkite Overlord / Darigaaz Reincarnated -> Worldly Tutor - with tutor in deck you need actually 1 of these two if you still want to have a huge Dragon. Also this is great way to get utility dragons like Glorybringer or Dragonlord Kolaghan when you need them most.
- Temple of the False God -> Rocky Tar Pit / Mountain Valley / Evolving Wilds - this land is bad... if you have 1 land and this, then you still only have 1 land since it won't activate early. Ancient Tomb is great because it can work turn 1 for some rocks but this... requires board full of lands and one Armageddon makes it useless again.
If you want to know more about getting better at EDH I'd recommend checking out CMDR Central and EDHRec podcasts on youtube - https://articles.edhrec.com/commander-central-ep75-settling-for-less/. Also EDHRec page has great articles posted daily, one of them is about Evolving Wilds: https://articles.edhrec.com/in-the-margins-evolving-wilds-terramorphic-expanse/
1 week ago
I like your suggestions, but I'm not sure what to cut.
2 weeks ago
Looks good, however I'd still lower the number of dragons and add some interaction and draw:
- Night's Whisper - 2 cards for 2 mana and 2 life? It's great!
- Worldly Tutor - instead of having 'whatever' dragon you get 'exactly' what you need, same thing with Sylvan Tutor and Sarkhan's Triumph .
- Nature's Claim - very cheap interaction and giving 4 life against draconic force means absolutely nothing.
- Abrupt Decay - without white and lack of exile effects you must still up the number of removal you get here and there's no better option than a little more specific Assassin's Trophy .
- Llanowar Elves - classic dork, that can be used in place of 1 of your worse performing land.
- Lotus Cobra - since you have more of 'land matters' theme I'd consider this card and if you can afford some more fetchlands it works wonders (even 2 slow fetches will do).
- Gruul Signet and Rakdos Signet - 2 cmc rocks that add and one of the supporting colors might lower the avg. CMC and smooth out early game.
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - a 3 cmc dork, that can provide card draw AND can tap for immense amounts of mana for only !
- Sarkhan the Mad - can be translated here as 'kill one player'
- Fire-Lit Thicket - might be worth giving a shot thanks to it's flexibility
1 month ago
Neat deck tho!
1 month ago
Actually it's 22 of 99 so 22,22% or with 23 of 100 The Ur-Dragon and then straight up 23%, however I prefer the first calculation since we always have our commander aviable as 8th card at the start of each game.
The critical mass you've mentioned I think it's somewhere between 20-21 and getting lower than that might hurt more than it helps, so getting rid of 1-2 from initial 24 might be a good decision.
And Sarkhan's Triumph is actually bad for it's cost - we're better off with Eladamri's Call since it also gets creature to the hand so with Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma , Selvala, Heart of the Wilds and Bloom Tender being good at every point of the game it's straight up upgrade. For there's also Worldly Tutor , which, when used just before our turn is technically getting a card to hand? That might be the correct play of it.
2 months ago
I think adding in some instants to make use of Rhada on the attack could be good if you plan on getting aggressive. Harrow combines the best of temporary and land-based ramp. Attacking with Rhada, tapping a green source and sacrificing it to kick Harrow puts you ahead on lands, and you still end up ahead on mana for the turn. Volcanic Offering on turn 3 is a one-sided Wrath attached to a double Stone Rain . Omen of Fire is higher variance, but it's still quite good. Sarkhan's Triumph can easily have you casting Savage Ventmaw or Hellkite Charger on turn 4 if you had a turn-1 mana dork. Comet Storm can get impressive fairly fast, as well.
Sarkhan's Triumph occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%