|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for a Dragon creature card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Sarkhan's Triumph Discussion
5 days ago
Hey, nice version of causal The Ur-Dragon.
I know you don't want suggestions for the manabase, but 34 lands is low amount for Dragons. With an avg. CMC of 4.1 and only a few mana rocks and land ramp spells it's going to be difficult to consistently play cards from your hand especially Dragons even with Ur-Dragon's mana cost reduction. My advice is to consider 38 lands? For now just add more basic lands, 3x Snow Mountain and 1x Snow Forest? Also consider adding more low mana cost mana sources that are within the budget here:
Consider more tutors to get a Dragon especially Utvara Hellkite :
Temur Ascendancy has powerful effects with Dragons. Drakuseth, Maw of Flames is pretty ridiculous with haste. Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire is underrated in multiplayer Commander and is also good with haste. Vizier of the Menagerie has a helpful ability when playing lots of creatures, five colors and it's good with Fist of Suns .
Demons and Angels are fun too, but I don't think you need or want them here. Cards to consider cutting:
- Embodiment of Agonies
- Rienne, Angel of Rebirth
- Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
- Ryusei, the Falling Star
- Archetype of Endurance
- Force of Despair
- Crucible of Fire
- Sword of Sinew and Steel
- Blackblade Reforged
- Altar of Dementia
- Jaya's Immolating Inferno
- All Suns' Dawn
I offer more advice including why I suggest to cut these cards and other manabase options. Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
Hey to you too! Deck has changed quite a bit actually, haha. These recent changes were crucial... Strategies I developed when brewing prototype Krenko and Kiki-Jiki lists that made there way here. I'll start with Brain in a Jar , it (currently) has 36 targets and helps us cheat out spells at instant speed for 1 Generic. It flows perfectly with our curve and helps us if we're red deficient to cast the multitude of R and RR spells featured here. It also makes our Rituals that much better. Goblin Welder messes with our opponents and during the multiple Attacks and (more importantly) Untaps, we can use him to ramp through our Graveyard (with various pitched Rocks), allowing us to continue Wheeling and Attacking with added Mana, carrying over leftovers from Neheb. Furthermore, it can recur and replay Memory Jar and if you have ever played Mem Jar twice in one turn... It's a feeling like nothing else. Same story for Goblin Engineer , Ramp and Entomb for: Obsidian Battle-Axe , Mask of Memory & Swiftfoot Boots . You may have missed these, but I will also encourage you add: Flamekin Harbinger and Sarkhan's Triumph . One will tutor for Grinning Ignus or Generator Servant to help us Ramp early-to-mid game, should Neheb be foiled or need a boost; while Triumph is an instant speed, Tutor for Runehorn Hellkite (and sometime's Knollspine Dragon ): grab the Dragon on the turn before you Attack, ditch the Dragon on the Attack and have a Wheel in your Graveyard. Hope this bit of intel helps. This are what I would consider must includes now... Also, expect an update to the primer here soon to further explain the Cards chosen. I may even provide a video update to discuss this list. Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion is a Deck to look out for.
2 months ago
Big Update - The "Flying Matters" sub-theme is no more. Incorporated many recommendations of Vlasiax to streamline the deck and make it a little leaner and meaner.
Spit Flame , Mana Flare , Heartbeat of Spring , The Immortal Sun , Skarrgan Hellkite , Hellkite Tyrant , Kilnmouth Dragon , Bladewing the Risen , Darigaaz Reincarnated , Shizo, Death's Storehouse , and Woodland Cemetery
Worldly Tutor , Sarkhan's Triumph , Night's Whisper , Nature's Claim , Abrupt Decay , Dragonlord's Servant , Dragonspeaker Shaman , Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma , Patriarch's Bidding , Evolving Wilds , and Terramorphic Expanse
2 months ago
2 months ago
About that - main problem here is that you want to have too much high CMC cards that make 'cool things' but it's better to settle for less and actually get there. Playing Dragon tribe already fills your high end of the curve so we need to focus on lower CMC interaction/ramp/draw to get to cast as many of the mentioned creatures as possible.
That's why Crucible of Fire and Sight of the Scalelords are bad but you seem to discover another way to win besides fight with big beaters - it's reanimator strategy. So I'd rather get 4/4 or 5/5 Dragon with Animate Dead for AND do something else than cast one of those enchantments and pass, hoping that it survives on board. I personally use reanimation with Dragon Tempest as a secondary strategy to kill as many people as possible with damage from dragons coming back and then smash the rest with them, since they get haste.
Abrupt Decay has that advantage of hitting NONLAND permaments... so creatures, enchantments, artifacts, planeswalkers all go down. While Vraska's Contempt is overpriced Path to Exile in black since planeswalkers can be overrun with Dragons and 2 life gain is negligible. It's not about hitting someone's Craterhoof Behemoth or in your case Hellkite Overlord it's about dealing with Sylvan Library / Phyrexian Arena , Chromatic Lantern or Yisan, the Wanderer Bard that get them there. And that's the lesson that I learned few months back and made drastic changes to my deck - Bow before Draconic King!!! | *WAR* Update. It's still a Dragon deck but has everything that early game requires so I can still compete with better tuned decks of others.
That's why for changes I'd propose:
- Kilnmouth Dragon -> Night's Whisper - instead of giving someone information what you have for 7 mana you get 2 cards for 2 that noone sees besides you
- Skarrgan Hellkite -> Selvala, Heart of the Wilds or Lotus Cobra - 5 mana for 4/4 flyer that can be 5/5 with overpriced activated ability is bad... you'll be better off with one of these dorks for 2-3 CMC.
- Crucible of Fire -> Nature's Claim - lowers the avg. CMC, let's you be more reactive and holding on for interaction on opponents turn is easy to do.
- Spit Flame -> Sarkhan's Triumph - overpriced damage restricted to creatures might be good in Standard but not EDH. Try out tutor instead and thank me later :D
- The Immortal Sun -> Gruul Signet / Rakdos Signet - I know it's an epic card and all but... it's cost is huge, you might actually cast 6 CMC Dragon instead of this and to actually get there you can run early ramp so 1-2 turns earlier flying behemoth will be way more dangerous.
- Hellkite Overlord / Darigaaz Reincarnated -> Worldly Tutor - with tutor in deck you need actually 1 of these two if you still want to have a huge Dragon. Also this is great way to get utility dragons like Glorybringer or Dragonlord Kolaghan when you need them most.
- Temple of the False God -> Rocky Tar Pit / Mountain Valley / Evolving Wilds - this land is bad... if you have 1 land and this, then you still only have 1 land since it won't activate early. Ancient Tomb is great because it can work turn 1 for some rocks but this... requires board full of lands and one Armageddon makes it useless again.
If you want to know more about getting better at EDH I'd recommend checking out CMDR Central and EDHRec podcasts on youtube - https://articles.edhrec.com/commander-central-ep75-settling-for-less/. Also EDHRec page has great articles posted daily, one of them is about Evolving Wilds: https://articles.edhrec.com/in-the-margins-evolving-wilds-terramorphic-expanse/
2 months ago
I like your suggestions, but I'm not sure what to cut.
2 months ago
Looks good, however I'd still lower the number of dragons and add some interaction and draw:
- Night's Whisper - 2 cards for 2 mana and 2 life? It's great!
- Worldly Tutor - instead of having 'whatever' dragon you get 'exactly' what you need, same thing with Sylvan Tutor and Sarkhan's Triumph .
- Nature's Claim - very cheap interaction and giving 4 life against draconic force means absolutely nothing.
- Abrupt Decay - without white and lack of exile effects you must still up the number of removal you get here and there's no better option than a little more specific Assassin's Trophy .
- Llanowar Elves - classic dork, that can be used in place of 1 of your worse performing land.
- Lotus Cobra - since you have more of 'land matters' theme I'd consider this card and if you can afford some more fetchlands it works wonders (even 2 slow fetches will do).
- Gruul Signet and Rakdos Signet - 2 cmc rocks that add and one of the supporting colors might lower the avg. CMC and smooth out early game.
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - a 3 cmc dork, that can provide card draw AND can tap for immense amounts of mana for only !
- Sarkhan the Mad - can be translated here as 'kill one player'
- Fire-Lit Thicket - might be worth giving a shot thanks to it's flexibility
3 months ago
Neat deck tho!
Sarkhan's Triumph occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%