Throne of the High City
: Add to your mana pool.
, , Sacrifice Throne of the High City: You become the monarch.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Throne of the High City occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Throne of the High City Discussion
2 months ago
Hey, nice version of Jared. I'm not a fan of Jared, but I can see you have put a lot of thought into your deck and you have overall very good card sense on a budget. Card draw shouldn't be a problem as long as you can keep the monarch :)
The manabase is lacking which is understandable because of the low budget. Cinder Glade and Canopy Vista are two of the better budget lands for Naya because they are two different land types, have interaction with lots of basic lands and they're Forest lands. Farseek, but also Nature's Lore, Three Visits (Commander Legends version), Skyshroud Claim and Wood Elves can all search for them and these five land ramp spells are among the best in Commander because they can ramp with a dual land. Some other good budget lands are: Battlefield Forge, Path of Ancestry and Naya Panorama.
Crop Rotation can tutor for Throne of the High City. Open the Armory can tutor for Pariah, Shield of the Oversoul or one of five equipment. Pariah is an important card to have more access too because you can't lose the monarch when Jared is enchanted with it.
Kami of False Hope is the white Spore Frog. Sun Titan is now less than $1 and is quite helpful since it can be repeatable reanimation: Jared, Pariah, Throne, Frog, Reckoner or any other 3 CMC/less permanent. Dromoka's Command is a good instant fight spell since it also gives another mode.
Cards to consider cutting:
- 1x Mountain
- Blossoming Sands
- Temple of Abandon
- Temple of Plenty
- Temple of Triumph
- Khalni Ambush Flip
- Migration Path
- Protector of the Crown: Archon and Regal are better six drop monarch enablers.
- Truefire Captain: difficult casting cost for this budget manabase.
- Blackblade Reforged: not needed since doesn't give evasion or protection and Jared will have huge power/toughness with counters.
Good luck with your deck.
4 months ago
Cool deck! You might like these: Sunbond, Cradle of Vitality, Regna, the Redeemer, Vanquisher's Banner, Empowered Autogenerator, Thran Dynamo, Endless Horizons, Crested Sunmare, Palace Jailer, Throne of the High City, Bonders' Enclave, Arch of Orazca, Slate of Ancestry, Lapse of Certainty, Angel's Grace, Tome of Legends
SynergyBuild on None
4 months ago
For recursive lands: Mystic Sanctuary (Dumb Good), Witch's Cottage, Mortuary Mire all work once, but with flickerable effects it's all fine, and you can sacrifice Buried Ruin, Petrified Field, Sequestered Stash. Hall of Heliod's Generosity/Academy Ruins are insane in the right decks, and Emeria, The Sky Ruin is busted in the late game. Mistveil Plains sort of works as recursion, and is repeatable, but is best with tutors and tutor chains. Even Unholy Grotto works amazingly in zombie decks!
(Nonbudget versions would be like Volrath's Stronghold)
Removal is plentiful on lands, but pretty specific. Blast Zone is a favorite of mine, and is dumb good. Ghost Quarter, Field of Ruin, Dust Bowl, Encroaching Wastes, Memorial to War, and Tectonic Edge all deal with lands. Arena, Barbarian Ring, Blighted Gorge, Cabal Pit, Desert, Keldon Megaliths, Keldon Necropolis, Mouth of Ronom, Rath's Edge, Grasping Dunes, Ifnir Deadlands, and Quicksand are good against creatures, and some walkers.
5 months ago
Considering how big the average creature here is, this seems like the perfect home for Bonders' Enclave. I'd also recommend Arch of Orazca, considering how much colorless mana you have floating around, and possibly even Throne of the High City for once you get going.
I'd also recommend Tectonic Edge over Encroaching Wastes - how often will you have four spare mana but your opponent won't have four lands? - and maybe Arcane Lighthouse as a backup version of Detection Tower.
6 months ago
Just a heads up that Balance is banned in the format. Maybe your group is cool with it though.
You might like these: Tome of Legends, Idol of Oblivion, Skullclamp, Arch of Orazca, Throne of the High City, Mantle of Leadership, Hope Against Hope, Veteran's Armaments, Eidolon of Countless Battles, Cathars' Crusade, Goldnight Commander, Valor in Akros, Leonin Warleader, Hero of Bladehold, Crescendo of War, Honor of the Pure
7 months ago
Blades of Velis Vel could be a fun trick for stealing two creatures permanently. Just cast it before Varchild flickers or dies.
These might interest you as well: Angel's Trumpet, Tome of Legends, Bonders' Enclave, Castle Embereth, Arch of Orazca, Throne of the High City, Dingus Staff, Shivan Harvest, Assault Suit, Gauntlet of Power, Fiendish Duo, Claws of Valakut, Curse of Opulence, Mob Mentality, Bravado
7 months ago
You might like these: Daxos, Blessed by the Sun, Resplendent Mentor, Palace Jailer (flavor! plus being monarch incites opps to hit you. and it is a decent way draw cards for white), Throne of the High City, Coat of Arms, Aetherworks Marvel, Crovax, Ascendant Hero, Worn Powerstone (gets darien out T4), Coalition Relic, Goblin Lyre, Torture Chamber, Crashing Drawbridge
7 months ago
Thank you very much for all the nice suggestions, king-saproling!
- Tome of Legends: Hmm, the commander chosen at the moment is pretty expensive mana wise. I don't think this card will draw many cards.
- Bonders' Enclave: There aren't that many fattys in this deck, so this will act as a worse Plains.
- Arch of Orazca: This could actually be alright! Considering it.
- Throne of the High City: This could be good if the pillow fort is actually working, will have to analyze if I can withstand the pressure of being the monarch for several turns.
- Palace Jailer: Same as Throne of the High City.
- Helm of the Host: Not sure that any creature itself in this deck would be good enough to clone for this mana cost?
- Leonin Warleader: This card is too aggressive for this deck.
- Hero of Bladehold: Same as Leonin Warleader.
- Conqueror's Galleon Flip: Same as Leonin Warleader.
- Cathars' Crusade: No more room for pump in the deck if we still want control of the board.
- Requiem Angel: Not bad... but there is enough token generation, which I deem as better than this.
- Recruiter of the Guard: This is very good! Very much considering.
- Ranger-Captain of Eos: There's only one target for this.. not enough.
- Kormus Bell/Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth/Expedition Map: This seems to be take all or none. I cannot find three cards to substitute to make room for these three, even though the "combo" is alright.
Once again, thanks for all the suggestions!