Arch of Orazca
Ascend (If you control ten or more permanents, you get the city's blessing for the rest of the game.) T: Add ◊ to your mana pool. 5, T: Draw a card. Activate this ability only if you have the city's blessing.
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Basic land|
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Basic land|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Arch of Orazca occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.31%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
Arch of Orazca Discussion
6 days ago
Thanks for all the awesome suggestions, you got me back into hardcore brewing mode! I have been workshopping this deck for a long time and am excited about the direction it has taken. Although the deck could be slightly more consistent without it, I am proud of how well the decks sub theme of playing other peoples cards is integrated.
First off, I dove head long into solving the card draw problem. I added your suggestions: Hedron Archive, Outpost Siege, Arch of Orazca, and Humble Defector. I also took on the card draw challenge by changing the deck up a little bit and going big mana/artifact. I added cards like Thran Dynamo, Hedron Archive, Curse of Opulence, and Ugin, the Ineffable. (Ugin can be a powerhouse in this deck with almost half the spells being colorless.) With having more mana I added spells like The Immortal Sun and Tower of Fortunes which can now be played and/or activated far earlier than their respective curve.
Personally I am not a fan of Plainswalkers as a whole in the game of MtG. I don't like the way they slow down the game. I added Ugin mainly for his passive ability, with the bonus of his card draw, but otherwise have shied away from plainswalkers in most of my decks. Thus, Chandra, Torch of Defiance isn't really my cup of tea. I even opted for The Immortal Sun instead of Staff of Nin in order to shut down others plainswalkers.
I added Buried Ruin, it was a great reccomendation.
I have opted away from Goblin Matron since I have very few Goblins and it feels more situational in that case.
I have been debating Flametongue Kavu since the beginning but just couldn't figure out what I wanted to get rid of to add it. But with all of the positive feedback I have seen on that card I am finally hopping on the bandwagon!
I am still debating Volcanic Offering. I think it will depend on my playgroup more than anything. Kind of a side board card for me.
Your Norin deck is fantastic as well, I enjoyed looking it over. I will right a few suggestions I have in the comments soon!
1 week ago
I really like this deck. My initial build was quite similar to this, (although higher CMC) as ETB synergy is the best way to go. What I have found in my meta, is that paying 5 mana for minion reflector for example, with nothing else to do during that turn is quite unimpressive, as they usually remove it by the time it gets back to me. More important than that smaller issue is your devastating lack of card draw....
I count 6 cards that you net positive card advantage, which in my opinion, is too low for a mono red deck. Options include Hedron Archive, Humble Defector, Ignite the Future, Light Up the Stage, Outpost Siege, Arch of Orazca or Commune with Lava. Adding some of these will help ensure you maintain gas to apply pressure and find combo pieces. Because once they destroy tome or atlass, you're SOL.
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Value, removal, draw, wincon, synergy with mox amber
Buried Ruin - Return 1/4th of your deck back
Goblin Matron - Tutor (for combo), ETB synergy
Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics. Attack them with Norin, run away, get a treasure XD
Flametongue should definitely get a spot, I would cut Pia because he doesnt do much on ETB and activated ability costs too much to be useful. Holding up that much mana means less tempo. Flametongue does the opposite. Do note that you need a target, so that if there are no other creatures, it kills itself.
Volcanic Offering - Not necessary, but I'm almost always happy to see this. Politics. 4 for 1 removal at instant speed. Hits pesky lands which are big problem in my meta anyways.
I would love to hear your thoughts on each suggestion. If you wanted some more ideas or wished to discuss strategy, lmk me know. Feel free to check out my Norin Deck
1 week ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
1 week ago
Cool deck! Tajic is a cool commander. Just some thoughts I had looking over your list:
Mentor of the Meek Soldier and Draw
Assemble the Legion Cool enchantment that makes soldiers
Mirror Entity can count as a soldier and pump your weenies
Bonders' Enclave maybe draw?
Heartwarming Redemption impulsive draw
Wheel of Fate more impulsive draw
Urza's Incubator make your soldiers cheap
Again sweet deck! Hope some of those help a little +1
2 weeks ago
Wash Out maybe.
I don't know your meta but is that Planeswalker integral? Maybe put in something to help your deck instead of possibly slowing them down until they can whack a planeswalker. Do you really need Leyline of Anticipation if you are putting out your big cards only on your upkeep for no mana? I'm not sure Caged Sun helps you more than a cheap manarock.
2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for all the nice suggestions, king-saproling!
- Tome of Legends: Hmm, the commander chosen at the moment is pretty expensive mana wise. I don't think this card will draw many cards.
- Bonders' Enclave: There aren't that many fattys in this deck, so this will act as a worse Plains.
- Arch of Orazca: This could actually be alright! Considering it.
- Throne of the High City: This could be good if the pillow fort is actually working, will have to analyze if I can withstand the pressure of being the monarch for several turns.
- Palace Jailer: Same as Throne of the High City.
- Helm of the Host: Not sure that any creature itself in this deck would be good enough to clone for this mana cost?
- Leonin Warleader: This card is too aggressive for this deck.
- Hero of Bladehold: Same as Leonin Warleader.
- Conqueror's Galleon Flip: Same as Leonin Warleader.
- Cathars' Crusade: No more room for pump in the deck if we still want control of the board.
- Requiem Angel: Not bad... but there is enough token generation, which I deem as better than this.
- Recruiter of the Guard: This is very good! Very much considering.
- Ranger-Captain of Eos: There's only one target for this.. not enough.
- Kormus Bell/Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth/Expedition Map: This seems to be take all or none. I cannot find three cards to substitute to make room for these three, even though the "combo" is alright.
Once again, thanks for all the suggestions!
2 weeks ago
Love to see Lapse of Certainty! You might like these: Tome of Legends, Bonders' Enclave, Arch of Orazca, Throne of the High City, Palace Jailer, Helm of the Host, Leonin Warleader, Hero of Bladehold, Conqueror's Galleon Flip, Cathars' Crusade, Requiem Angel (good with tokens in general, really nice with Divine Visitation), Recruiter of the Guard, Ranger-Captain of Eos, Kormus Bell, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Expedition Map
2 weeks ago
Looks like a really interesting build! The life swap cards seem fun. I'm intrigued by Oriss's grandeur ability. It'd be hard to pull off, but you could make copies of her with Helm of the Host, return the original to hand with Erratic Portal, and discard the original using the clone. You could even lock a player out if you recur Oriss with the likes of Sun Titan/Bishop of Rebirth.
You might like these: Palace Jailer, Lapse of Certainty, Conqueror's Galleon Flip, Throne of the High City, Arch of Orazca, Emeria, The Sky Ruin, Bonder's Ornament, Smothering Tithe, Near-Death Experience, Pariah, Stonehewer Giant, Ravnica at War, Slate of Ancestry, Lightmine Field