|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Test of Endurance
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have 50 or more life, you win the game.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Test of Endurance Discussion
7 hours ago
I too have been looking for alternative wincons for Doran but seems to be the aggro route for any big butt strategy. Unforetunately, it starts turning him into more good stuff if you go down that route.
Seems like one could implement more lifegain and win via Felidar Sovereign/ Test of Endurance or Exquisite Blood + Sanguine Bond . Divinity of Pride and co. could do some real work. Ive also seen Doran extort but I just don't think Doran is the best general for that. Karlov would be much better at that sort of deck.
3 days ago
I'm not an expert, but here is some general advice that I would have ignored if i'd gotten it when i first started:
- You can't win the game just because you have a lot of life (caveat: unless your deck is designed to do that, e.g. Test of Endurance). This means cards like Angel of Mercy and Angel's Mercy are just "delay" cards - they'll keep you from dying for a turn, but nothing else. You need to be able to win otherwise. That's not to say lifegain is bad (Ajani's Pridemate would eat me if i tried), but lifegain for the sake of lifegain is insufficient.
- Walls are good only if your deck is designed to be strong in lategame. Otherwise they are bad. It took me a long time to learn that. They can't attack, generally don't have any abilities that can win the game, and generally don't even prevent you being attacked (walls like Souls of the Faultless are an exception). Blocking a creature without killing it means it will just swing at you again next turn, and next turn it might have a friend, and now you can only block one of them. So unless the deck is designed to be strong late-game, you can generally replace walls with anything else and be equivalent or better-off.
- Card synergies are important. For example, you have Wingsteed Rider, but there are only two cards in the entire deck that will actually trigger his Heroic ability: Mighty Leap and Marked by Honor. Now, the base creature isn't bad (2/2 flying for 3 is decent/average), so i'm not saying take him out. Just, keep it in mind.
- Whenever you see a card, try to look for or think of interesting interactions. Since you're new, there are a ton of cards you're unaware of, and it's hard to keep everything in mind. For example, Enchanted Evening + War Priest of Thune (if everything is an enchantment, he can kill anything) or Angel's Mercy + Sanguine Bond (you gain 7 life and they lose 7 life).
- Some cards are the same as other cards, but one is just straight-up worse than the other. I can't really think of any examples using your cards, so i'll use these instead: Open Fire is strictly worse than Lightning Strike (3 CMC vs 2), which is itself strictly worse than Lightning Bolt (2 CMC vs 1). And it's not "old cards are worse than new cards", because Open Fire was just created/released, whereas Lightning Strike has been released several times. Just something to keep in mind. Closest example I can think of using your cards aren't straight comparisons, e.g. Angel of Mercy vs Serra Angel.
- This is a good resource: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Advanced.aspx It has every single card in MTG, and their rulings. It's one of the few sites I know of where the official site is better than most fan sites
3 days ago
I have zero experience with Vona, but a text box that has "destroy target nonland permanent" in it screams build-around. I would go full lifegain and tune this deck for a reactive traditional control (not stax) type of build. In that case, I would recommend Serra Avatar, Serra Ascendant, and Test of Endurance.
1 week ago
Worthy Cause essentially acts just like condemn, for the same mana cost. The card art somewhat goes with 'cleric' theme too. And yup agree with Test of Endurance as a win condition. You might want to consider Felidar Sovereign as well? Though it's less efficient because of the higher casting cost.
2 weeks ago
Ok keithallenlaw I'll attempt to justify what I'd do.
Cards to Remove:
-Gray Merchant of Asphodel: This card is expensive and the ETB is the only highlight of it. Without reanimating it or cloning this isn't worth the slow IMO.
-Skirge Familiar: The ability of this card is counterproductive. You have a huge amount of mana stones, so 1 blk mana isn't ideal for the cost of a card which you don't want to discard.
-Thran Turbine: At the surface this looks ok, but there are alot of mana rocks already and you could be doing other things.
-Ajani's Pridemate:It sounds good but you're just not doing a lot of protection or focus on counters. There are better options for the slow.
-Psychosis Crawler: for 5 this is a gamble that you'll have cards in your hand to make it worth while. This is better in a blue deck with a large hand.
Cards to Consider Filling Space:
-Vampire Nighthawk: A staple in lifegain orzhova decks. a flying/deathtouch/lifelink for 3 is a steal.
-Test of Endurance or Felidar Sovereign: Obvious alt win-cons in a lifegain deck.
-Ivory Cup: This works with ANYONE playing a white spell. the 1life you gain for 1 can help you trigger lifegain combos which are important.
-Tablet of the Guilds: An overlooked 2 drop. You can easily start gaining life with this and use it to help activate/chain your lifegain combos.
-Debt to the Deathless: this can be very fatal if someone doesn't counter it.
-Lightning Greaves, Whispersilk Cloak, Swiftfoot Boots are all good to help protect your important creatures like drogskol and oloro, etc.
-Wrath of God, Nevinyrral's Disk, Planar Cleansing:Board wipes care great and can help you out in a pinch if you tutor for them.
-Kambal, Consul of Allocation: If you had to pick another commander for a deck it is this guy.
-Ephara, God of the Polis: This god is a great drop price. He also can allow you to get card draw. On top of this he is indestruct and has a decent strength/tough.
-Trigon of Mending: This isn't a superb card but it'll help you to keep gaining life which can combo with other cards for crazy effect.
Anyways those are some of my recommendations explained. Hope the explanation helps a bit where I'm coming from which what I play in Oloro.
3 weeks ago
Serra Ascendant has been added, thank you. Also Aetherflux Reservoir is a good replacement for Tablet of the Guilds . Thank you for the suggestions, i like to keep the castingcosts of spells low since there are only 32 lands in this deck. Im playing semi casual with friends and dont like cards as: Felidar Sovereign otherwise that was indeed a must have in this deck likewise for Test of Endurance
3 weeks ago
Nice deck here, very thematic with the guilds. Though seems a bit slow and a bit too reliant on the combo finishers. Perhaps some of these cards could help you out Baneslayer Angel, Batterskull, Gisela, the Broken Blade, Bruna, the Fading Light, Divinity of Pride, Serra Ascendant, Blood Baron of Vizkopa, Ajani's Pridemate, Archangel of Thune, Aetherflux Reservoir, Rhox Faithmender, Felidar Sovereign, and Test of Endurance.
4 weeks ago
I'll take a look, though I already have a Grixis deck and I'm thinking of building a Selesnya deck with Felidar Sovereign or Test of Endurance as primary win conditions. If I get the right cards, it could a semi-consistent T3 win!