Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Slate of Ancestry
, , Discard your hand: Draw a card for each creature you control.
3 weeks ago
I think you need more token spells for Slate of Ancestry to be worthwhile. Tezzeret's Gambit is among the best draw-card spells you can get in mono-white. Unless you want to spend the big bucks on Esper Sentinel.
Anointed Procession seems like a good fit, though even pricier than the Sentinel.
2 months ago
Thanks for the upvote
White has gotten some great toys of card draw.
Other cards like.
And to a lesser degree.
Also my cmdr Djeru, With Eyes Open will always replace its self with elspeth.
3 months ago
Hi king-saproling! Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I'll give some thoughts in as orderly a way as I can.
1) Coat of Arms I love this card and play it in a couple of my decks. My thoughts are that, though a great tribal card, it caters more to pumping weenies. In this case Giada pumps our weenies just fine, and the card is a bit redundant. At 5 mana in mono-white its also a bit high for this deck, but it is a great card and I could see maybe someone having success with it.
2) Icon of Ancestry I really like this card on release, but didn't enjoy it too much in other decks in commander (it was a decent Brawl card when that was a thing). 3 mana is a lot to look for a card that you might never draw, and it can be unsatisfying to play it. The anthem could be good in other context, but this deck doesn't really need it.
3) Adaptive Automaton and other changelings. My general thought on these is that I'd rather just play real angels. While they changelings get counters, they don't fly, and flying makes them way more threatening. If there were a shortage of angels I'd consider putting them in, but I'd rather add Angelic Curator than Impostor of the Sixth Pride. That being said, Giada is weenie angels, and I could see a case for Universal Automaton and Metallic Mimic based on cmc value alone. I'm not sure I could fit them in here, but they are the better options of this group!
4) Slate of Ancestry is a really interesting draw option. Its a bit mana intensive to get going, but it could provide the burst draw this deck needs more of. I'll definitely consider it!
5) Urza's Incubator is a great card, there's no doubt about it. I wouldn't question it in anyone's list! As for me, three of my ramp cards discount creatures, and Giada can only ramp angels, so I need more ramp that can put lands in play or at least help me cast non-creature, non-white stuff. If I already had this in my binder and it wasn't $50 in real world money (I own all my decks in paper), I might consider it. But I think my ramp is working now. That being said, by all means play it because its great!
6) Cauldron of Souls This is good protection from sweepers, and the counters are effectively negated. Nice! I'll definitely consider it.
7) Adarkar Valkyrie This is a good effect, but Cauldron does it better, and Twilight Shepherd is probably a better option. That being said, its a halfway decent angel but I probably won't do it myself.
3 months ago
Thoughts on these? Metallic Mimic, Universal Automaton, Impostor of the Sixth Pride, Urza's Incubator, Slate of Ancestry, Cauldron of Souls, Adarkar Valkyrie, Adaptive Automaton, Icon of Ancestry, Coat of Arms
5 months ago
6 months ago
Good artifact-based card draw to note:
Skullclamp - the gold-standard for token decks. Legendary power. If you have too many anthems it drops off greatly in power.
Courier's Capsule - much better with heavy graveyard recursion
Idol of Oblivion - the draw is free, which is nice. Very strong for two mana
Tome of Legends - should be excellent since your commander can usually attack with impunity. Bummer it's getting more expensive. It's a good card though so it's unsurprising.
Midnight Clock - this card is fantastic. Secret is getting out so if you're on the fence definitely buy some for your collection. The reprint dropped its price. Also, Eldraine card for the flavor.
Slate of Ancestry - repeatable, but sometimes unreliable--like if you need to recover from a board wipe. Excellent card but potentially not better than Bident of Thassa, Recon Mission, and Coastal Piracy. Better in decks that don't run Blue. I have it in my Goblin deck.
Trading Post - do it all!
Well of Lost Dreams would be good with your commander, but so are lots of others. Probably not better than other effects in this deck.
Farsight Mask - draws a card for each creature that attacks you, and more. Five mana is a lot though. I think this card is underrated, but you kinda don't want to be attacked in the first place, right? Great on a budget.
Tamiyo's Journal - fantastic for decks that care about the number of artifacts you control. You only have a few of these effects though.
Bolas's Citadel - massive, massive power. Honestly surprised this card isn't more expensive. Might be worth buying just for your collection. Your commander's lifelink can help fuel it. You can also sac faerie tokens as a win-con. Triple-Black isn't effortless to cast, but once you have six mana you could probably swing it.
Coveted Jewel - chaotic and fun. Your flyers can steal it back easily. Like the Monarch mechanic, it can keep the heat off you if your opponents try to steal it from eachother.
Staff of Nin - oh how the mighty have fallen. This card used to be a staple like, six years ago. Not much point in running it in a deck with access to Blue and Black colors. Still, it's an artifact.
The Magic Mirror - Big upside but hard to cast. Bonus points for being an Eldraine card!
6 months ago
6 months ago
Here are some other swaps you might consider:
Balefire Dragon -> Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin
Dragon's Rage Channeler -> Chandra's Incinerator
Glorybringer -> Pia and Kiran Nalaar
Volatile Arsonist -> Battle Hymn
Spitfire Lagac -> Goblin Offensive
Blightsteel Colossus -> Iron Myr
Venser's Journal -> Extraplanar Lens
Prism Ring -> Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Alhammarret's Archive -> Slate of Ancestry
Crackle with Power -> Tooth and Claw
Roil Eruption -> Mogg Infestation (target yourself to double creatures while dealing a ton of damage with Purphoros)
Fated Conflagration -> Bonders' Enclave
Demolish -> Dwarven Mine
Combustible Gearhulk -> War Room
Flameshot -> Kher Keep
Seismic Shift -> Den of the Bugbear