Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Creature — Human Scout
Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Tandem Lookout is paired with another creature, each of those creatures has "Whenever this creature deals damage to an opponent, draw a card."
5 days ago
My thoughts Show
- Don't like most of the Japanese art, looks like cheap screencap alters. Mind you, I like anime.
- Runadi should really be titled Hydra Caller
- Creeping Bloodsucker is a fine addition to Belbe, Corrupted Observer, even if it doesn't curve. Three life a turn isn't bad either.
- Chevill is getting support at a glacial pace
- I'd rather have another Plague Spitter reprint than Festering Evil
- Towering Gibbon looks so cute, haha. I kinda wish it looked at all your permanents though, mostly feels like a more boring green Clone
- I've definently never seen Kibo before. Anyway, are primates only getting two new cards? Because I feel gruul doesn't have very exciting support for EDH. At least Scrounging Bandar works.
- Pirated Copy: So this isn't quite Clone + Tandem Lookout. For one, it's drawing you on combat damage only, so no shenanigans with Lightning-Rig Crew. However, it also lets you copy other people's stuff, which means that their combat can benefit you. I think, but am not sure, that copying a token will make the drawing ability work with all tokens with the same type that aren't otherwise named. Because go-wide decks needed to be put down more in EDH. Not really into this with Admiral Beckett Brass TBH, too high MV. (What I really want is for Protean Raider to get the preserved tribal part of the ability.)
- Don't like white getting copies trough Preston the Vanisher, even if they're weak. Illusions in particular don't feel right for a truth-oriented philosophy, although I suppose light can blind and not just reveal. Surprised it didn't have a blue mana pip somewhere.
- Ashcoat curves nicely enough into Marrow-Gnawer, regardless which one is your commander. Attack with Ashcoat to give your Rats extra power, sacrifice one of them with Gnawer for extra tokens (and even more attack power next turn), then recur the saced rat with Ashcoat. Getting to recur not just one put two cards a turn is quite generous too.
2 months ago
yeah i think i'm missing some card draw here too. tried to incorporate some with Abundant Growth and Brainstorm but i'd much prefer some more consistent draw. i had Snake Umbra in a previous version (which went heavy on totem armor), which at least gives a little more value than Ophidian Eye for the cost, but it felt like this deck wanted a lower mana curve and by the time i get a few turns past a three cost, Ancestral Mask should be a finisher. that said, what do you think about the benefit of the extra 1/1 on Snake Umbra vs the extra creature for forced sacrifice fodder on Tandem Lookout? What about a transmute effect like Dizzy Spell to find a one or two mana? Kinda flexible single card seek for later in the game.
That's a lot lol sorry
2 months ago
3 months ago
Niv-Mizzet, Parun seems like a nice inclusion. For me Blistercoil Weird and Delver of Secrets Flip feels underwhelming in edh you can swap them for some more draw or since you like cipher even Triton Shorestalker and Mist-Cloaked Herald.
Since you asked for card draw suggestions the main staples are X spells like Blue Sun's Zenith,Pull from Tomorrow, 4 CMC type Fact or Fiction / Steam Augury or Behold the Multiverse stuff and cantrips like Brainstorm, Ponder etc. There are also wheels like Windfall. Have you checked Scryfall? Their search engine is rather easy to use.
I still haven't build my Niv deck but I plan to put in the transmute package to find me the three combo pieces
Hope this helps. Cheers!
3 months ago
Hey, you have an interesting/fun deck, but sorry it's casual power level (PL) 5 at most.
Lands in the manabase and ramp sources are a big sign of what PL. A low budget manabase that has Highland Lake and Temple of the False God isn't PL 7-8. Very little ramp with a 4.0 avg. CMC is not PL 7-8. Please get rid of Temple of the False God.
It's difficult to get to PL 8 or higher on a low budget because the best lands and mana rocks are some of the most expensive cards in Commander. At best on a low budget unless playing mono-colored you're looking at PL 6. Your deck doesn't have any instants or sorceries? Izzet has many good low budget instants and sorceries especially for draw.
You have an infinite combo Niv-Mizzet, Parun + Curiosity, that helps to have a higher PL. Although, Niv-Mizzet, Parun is better as a win condition when it's the Commander not inside the 99. You have many potential other win conditions: Purphoros, God of the Forge, Reckless Fireweaver, Impact Tremors, Nettle Drone, etc., but lack enablers to combo with these win conditions.
To increase PL your deck needs to be more tuned to get to the final goal which is to win the game. PL 8 uses just about all cards in the deck to help to assemble a combo win, ramp, tutor, draw, protect the combo or stop an opponent's combo. If a card doesn't help to do one of these then it's not needed in the deck. Don't try to get to PL 8 unless you can spend for expensive price cards instead shoot for PL 6.
Here's some low budget cards to increase the PL of your deck:
- Arcane Signet
- Talisman of Creativity
- Izzet Signet
- Mind Stone
- Shivan Reef
- Cascade Bluffs
- Glint-Horn Buccaneer
- Tandem Lookout
- Ophidian Eye
- Frantic Search
- Arcane Denial
- Pull from Tomorrow
- Fact or Fiction
- Sigil of Sleep
- Basilisk Collar
- Banishing Knack
- Everflowing Chalice
- Retraction Helix
- Expansion / Explosion
- Dualcaster Mage
- Solve the Equation
- Ral, Storm Conduit
- Memory Deluge
- Chaos Warp
- Grixis Panorama
- Temple of Epiphany
- Izzet Boilerworks
7 months ago
Step 1 was strategy. Step 2 is wincon. If we're going for Niv/Curiosity combo as a main win, with a self-mill backup, we want as many cards to enable those as possible. Is there any other way to duplicate these effects in your deck in case your opponents blow one up? For Curiosity effects, I would add in Tandem Lookout. Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is just like your commander's ability. They are the only two with that draw effect, but Brallin, Skyshark Rider Flip (not a flip card, by the way) and Glint-Horn Buccaneer can pair with any Curiosity effect during your discard phase, if you have more than 7 cards in hand, to do what Niv does (though this makes cards that give you no maximum hand size, like Spellbook and Wizard Class bad, if you want to use these as backups...not saying you have to, just an idea). Finally Laboratory Maniac is another Jace. Reminder that if your deck is going to rely on a combo wincon, you are announcing the deck's weak point from the start. So the deck needs to focus a lot of energy on defending that weak point.
A few other cards I'm going to single out: Crackling Drake, Convolute, Inescapable Blaze, Smelt, Capture Sphere, Enthralling Hold, Fissure Vent - see if you can figure out why I may be picking on these.
1 year ago
I think my concerns were caused by piloting errors. I found the issues I was having with Tandem Lookout largely go away if I prioritize land drops more when I am using my Ponders and Preordains. Tandem Lookout hitting the field and turning a 1/1 faerie into an evasive card draw engine while also enabling Of One Mind is something I was undervaluing in my initial playtesting.
Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciated it!