Creature — Dragon
Flying Whenever Savage Ventmaw attacks, gain . You don't lose this mana at the end of steps and phases until the end of your turn.
|Want (2)||Etinifni , UnitedWeStand|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Savage Ventmaw occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
RG (Gruul): 1.06%
Savage Ventmaw Discussion
2 weeks ago
Hey, nice work in progress at upgrading the precon :)
I don't know what the meta you play in is like, but what I can give you is overall advice on how to upgrade the precon. What the precon needs is early game ramp, tutors, haste enablers for Ghired and repeatable protection for Ghired in combat so he can safely attack and populate. Rhinos are really the only threat you need as long as you can keep attacking with Ghired.
Cards within the budget to consider adding:
- Ramp: Birds of Paradise, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Elvish Mystic, Llanowar Elves
- Ramp: Smothering Tithe, Faeburrow Elder
- Ramp: Arcane Signet, Wild Growth
- Tutor: Eladamri's Call, Finale of Devastation, Worldly Tutor, Fierce Empath
- Tutor: Enlightened Tutor, Idyllic Tutor, Open the Armory
- Tutor: Crop Rotation, Sylvan Scrying
- Haste: Lightning Mauler, Ogre Battledriver, Hammer of Purphoros
- Repeatable Protection: Mother of Runes, Reconnaissance, Eldrazi Displacer
- Recursion: Eternal Witness, Regrowth
- Lands: Temple Garden, Stomping Ground, Brushland, Karplusan Forest, Grove of the Burnwillows, Rugged Prairie, Battlefield Forge
- Removal: Swords to Plowshares, Vandalblast, Cataclysm, Wrath of God, Beast Within, Generous Gift
A problem with the precon is the high avg. CMC which is 3.9. This number means that consistently four drops or higher CMC cards will be in your hand which is very slow. Early game you don't want lots of four or higher CMC cards in your hand because you will not be able to cast them. Adding low mana cost ramp by cutting high mana cost cards can help to reduce this number.
There's a lot of high CMC cards here, in fact there's 36 four or higher CMC cards which is too much. There's a lot of high CMC threats and I don't think you need all of them. Instead of playing so many high CMC threats replace some of them with tutors which can get you the better cards/threats into your hand.
To be more competitive I would expand on combos and use most of the high CMC card spots for more combo cards rather than big creature threats. You have done this some what already by adding Purphoros, Helm for Aurelia and Godo, but consider expanding further. Cards for combos to consider adding:
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Aggravated Assault
- Bear Umbra
- Sigarda's Aid
- Savage Ventmaw
- Zealous Conscripts
- Impact Tremors
Combos that go with these cards:
- Kiki + Helm + Purphoros or Tremors for infinite damage.
- Kiki + Conscripts infinite hasty token Conscripts to attack. Add Purphoros or Tremors for infinite damage.
Outside of combos Kiki is good with populate because he can make a token copy of a nonlegendary creature and if you populate the token then that token doesn't go away at end of the turn. Kiki combos with Helm for infinite Kikis since the token copy of Kiki that's created by Helm is not legendary which allows Kiki to copy it.
- Assault + Umbra + five lands for infinite combats.
- Assault + Ventmaw for infinite combats and infinite green or red mana.
More infinite combat combos is good with Ghired because his power comes from him attacking. Outside of the combos Assault is a good card with Ghired because it can give you more attacks which is more populate.
A problem with Helm in all the combos, even Godo, is it's slow because you have to pay the five mana cost to equip it. Aid is a one drop which is worth including for Helm and Selves.
Good luck with your deck.
2 weeks ago
Some good generic equipment to consider is Shadowspear for the trample and life link as well as Basilisk Collar for giving to deathtouch your creatures that already have trample with that setup, practically none of the damage can be prevented unless they have a dozen chump blockers. Imagine slapping Chandra's Ignition on top of that. It causes bigger life swings than the famous black X spells. Plus, you keep your favorite creature and commander through the board wipe, so it greatly favors you.
3 weeks ago
Hey, what's the max budget you have to make upgrades?
It can be a long process to upgrade an entire precon. What the precon really lacks is ramp, tutors and cards for better interaction with Ghired. The manabase in the precon can be upgraded with better dual lands, but casually is actually fine the way it is. Draw sources is one thing that the precon has a lot of which is surprising.
This is a summary list of some budget cards ($5 or less each, most are less than $1) that I think would help your deck:
- Ramp: Avacyn's Pilgrim, Wild Growth and Elvish Mystic
- Ramp: Selesnya Signet, Gruul Signet and Boros Signet
- Tutors: Eladamri's Call, Idyllic Tutor, Fierce Empath and Sylvan Scrying
- Extra Combats: Aggravated Assault with Savage Ventmaw
- Haste: Hammer of Purphoros, Ogre Battledriver and Lightning Mauler
- Protection: Mother of Runes, Eldrazi Displacer and Boros Charm
- Utility: Temur Sabertooth, Eternal Witness, Reclamation Sage and Regal Force
- Removal: Swords to Plowshares, Cleansing Nova and Heliod's Intervention
- Land: Canopy Vista and/or Scattered Groves that way Farseek can search for a dual land that can make white mana.
- Land: Battlefield Forge, Sunpetal Grove, Rootbound Crag and Sheltered Thicket
The avg. CMC (converted mana cost) of the precon is high at 3.9. This 3.9 number means that consistently you're not able to cast a spell until you have four mana sources and/or four lands which is slow. Consider reducing this number? Getting it down to 3.0 and then even lower after that. To do this consider cutting many high mana cost cards and replacing them with low mana cost ramp? Reducing the avg. CMC will speed up game play.
The most obvious upgrades to start with are adding more low mana cost ramp and tutors, but other upgrades to consider is how to make Ghired better overall for the deck since he's the Commander General. Casually Ghired is about attacking since he powers your deck's strategy by populating which he does when he attacks. Because attacking is important then consider strategies that can improve combat/attacking? Haste, extra combats and double strike are strong strategies with attacking.
I would make the Rhino the focus of the token population because it's big creature (4/4 trample) and is easily accessible because of Ghired. Because Ghired creates the Rhino token I don't think you need to go over the top with lots of other creatures or cards that create tokens. However, if relying more on Ghired and the Rhino token then consider more repeatable protection for Ghired to keep him alive on the battlefield. Not having to do combat damage with Ghired to populate is nice.
Not having to do combat damage means you can protect Ghired in combat so he survives while still populating a token since he attacked. If you can repeatedly protect Ghired in combat then you can keep safely attacking with him. Ghired needs to attack to populate which means he has to survive combat to be able to attack again. Protection for Ghired in combat is another area for upgrades to consider because you want Ghired to be able to keep attacking.
Extra combats are good with Ghired because he wants to be attacking and extra combats means you get to attack again or multiple times on your turn. Aggravated Assault + Savage Ventmaw is infinite combats which is infinite attacks. As long as Ventmaw can attack it makes six mana. Five of that mana can be used with Assault for an extra combat. At the extra combat Ventmaw will attack again and make six mana; use that mana with Assault and repeat. Without Ventmaw Assault is still a very good card because it can be repeatable for five mana on your turn you get to attack twice which can be a lot of Rhinos.
I offer more advice, more explanations about each of these suggestions, more detailed steps you can take to improve your deck, cards you could cut, etc. Would you like more advice?
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Hey, interesting version of Wildborn.
Consider some creature tutors?
You could expand on the interaction of being able to play more lands a turn.
Crucible/Excavator have good interaction with Reformation and Loam is the enabler for these cards. Reformation and Horn can be consistent sources of repeatable draw with only lands.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Crucible of Fire: Dragons are already big with lots of power as well as flying they don't also need anthems.
- Return of the Wildspeaker
- Vanquisher's Banner
- Explosive Vegetation
- Jugan, the Rising Star
- Ryusei, the Falling Star
- Foe-Razer Regent
- Siege Dragon
- Kilnmouth Dragon
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
1 month ago
A great card for green is Into the Wilds you get to look at the top card of your library upkeep if it is a land put it on the battlefield best part does not count as your land played for your turn so filters your land + can be ramp oh and is like 25cents
Abundance is another variation of filtering your deck also green
Den Protector budget eternal witness
Echoing Truth flexible bounce because if it is tokens it hits all the same tokens
Look at charms some are cheaper than others some will fit budgets some may not but see example below Sultai Charm
Shenanigans Reins of Power ignore the $5 ones someone is trying to rip people off outside those they are all 50-85 cents
1 month ago
Serraka of the Savage Lands
Legendary Creature - Dragon
Whenever a non-Legendary, non-token Dragon you control attacks, add , or . This mana does not empty as steps and phases end. If that Dragon was Legendary, add two in any combination instead.
Adapted to Alara: Jund to justify the addition of black
1 month ago
Also one creature that is always an amazing budget add is Savage Ventmaw being a nice attacker and giving you a good amount of mana.