Druid of the Cowl
Creature — Elf Druid
: Gain .
Printings View all
|Core Set 2019 (M19)||Common|
|Aether Revolt (AER)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Druid of the Cowl occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.12%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Druid of the Cowl Discussion
1 month ago
Get rid of
- Evolution Sage
- Goblin Cratermaker
- Pollenbright Druid
- Syr Konrad, The Grim
- Woodland Champion
- Bloodsoaked Altar
- Goledn Egg
- Jund Charm
- Dreadhorde Invasion
- Khalni Heart Expedition
- Angrath, Captain of Chaos
Add cards like:
- Llanowar Elves
- Elvish Mystic
- Gatecreeper Vine
- Birds of Paradise
- Llanowar Dead
- Elves of Deep Shadow
- Fyndhorn Elves
- Beastcaller Savant
- Devoted Druid
- Druid of the Cowl
- Heart Warden (seems really good here)
- Vine Trellis
And maybe some more removal. Seems a bit light on control.
And of course, Goblin Bombardment :D
2 months ago
On to the creatures. Most things look pretty good. I actually really like the inclusion of Tendershoot Dryad and Verdant Force as a sneaky alternate win-con. Some things I don't think should really be included are your 0 drop artifact creatures. I don't see them doing much. I also don't really like the inclusion of Lovestruck Beast as he doesn't really fit theme and he can be pretty fragile when it comes to being able to attack. Satyr Wayfinder also could be replaced since you don't have much graveyard interaction. I could also throw out Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma here since she doesn't reduce most of your hydras, but I think her attack bonus is enough to warrant her inclusion.
I think you've got your bases covered in terms of what effects you want to have in here so I think if you're adding cards it'd be good to look for redundancy. If you've got Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx in here you should probably run Voyaging Satyr. Llanowar Tribe works well with your Leyline of Abundance. Speaking of which, one or two mana dorks would probably be prudent. You could focus on more elves and do something like Priest of Titania or Elvish Archdruid or you could just do other dorks like Whisperer of the Wilds or Druid of the Cowl. Some more card draw creatures could be good like Soul of the Harvest. One card that doesn't really have anything like it in here is Temur Sabertooth. You've got a number of good creature ETB effects that you can repeat with the Sabertooth. Also, I think it would be good tech for resetting an X cost hydra that you played early in the game and making bigger late in the game once you land a big mana producer like Karametra's Acolyte. Some other creatures w/ good ETBs on them that you could consider are Acidic Slime, terastadon, Regal Force, Fierce Empath, Avenger of Zendikar, and Bane of Progress. Oh yeah. You don't have Genesis Hydra in here. It should be in here. Also, I really like your idea to get Seedborn Muse and Yeva, Nature's Herald in here. They are great.
2 months ago
The first thing I noticed while looking at this deck is that it's way too light on lands. With a seven-mana general, you're likely to get mana-screwed, especially if your mana elves die. I'd look to add about 9-10 more lands, maybe cutting some ramp if you start flooding out. Lands are generally better than mana elves.
Rather than mana-producing dorks like Elvish Mystic and Druid of the Cowl , you should probably be playing spell-based mana ramp such as Rampant Growth and Cultivate . The reason for this is that if someone casts a board wipe, all of those mana-producing elves will die and you'll lose your mana acceleration. The good news is that the spell-based ramp I mentioned is usually common or uncommon, so you won't have too much trouble finding them. Other spells to consider in this vein are Farseek , Kodama's Reach , Skyshroud Claim , Circuitous Route , Explosive Vegetation , Sakura-Tribe Elder , Wood Elves , and Farhaven Elf .
You really want ramp because Damia is so expensive, and also because after you empty your hand casting those spells, Damia helps you refill. That's her main strength, so I'd suggest building her with big-mana strategies in mind. X-spells like Villainous Wealth and expensive monsters like Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger are probably what you'll be aiming for, with Damia to help you refill your hand as needed.
I have my own (slightly quirky) take on Damia here if you want some further ideas for how to fully take advantage of her: Damia Discard
2 months ago
This is not bad at all. I have a couple of suggestions off the top of my mind though...
First off, I highly recommend using custom tags to sort your cards. To do this, go into the "edit" mode where you can see your card list. It will look something like:
You can then add tags by using #Category after a card. For example:
1xArbor Elf #Ramp
This will assign Arbor Elf to the "Ramp" category. Unsorted cards are assigned to "Other" by default.
I recommend these categories;
- Ramp (Aim for 12-16 of these. A card that costs more than 4 mana is too slow to be reliably called Ramp)
- Draw (At least 12)
- Removal (Around 8, make sure you can deal with other commanders/creatures!!!)
- Sweepers (Boardwipes, Green doesn't really have many it's okay)
- Support (Stuff that isn't obviously powerful but makes certain cards in the deck busted. Examples are your equipment)
- Lands (Obviously. Aim for 34-37. This deck wants 34-36)
The remaining cards can be categorized based on the specific inner-workings of your deck. For example, this deck might have a "Big Bois" category for creatures that are just huge.
Depending on your sorting preferences, it can by okay to tag one creature with multiple tags. For example;
1x Thorn Mammoth #Removal #Big_Boi
Onto my Card Suggestions:
- Soul of the Harvest is nice for card draw and comes with a big smashy body + Trample.
- Arbor Elf and Elvish Mystic are fantastic replacements for Leaf Gilder and Druid of the Cowl , assuming you want to go for efficiency.
- Beast Within and Acidic Slime are super helpful for dealing with nonsense of all kinds.
- If you are willing to pay $1.50 a pop for them, Cultivate and Kodama's Reach are good additions and could replace Explosive Vegetation and Circuitous Route in a pinch. -Other really nice Ramp includes Rampant Growth , Wild Growth , Fertile Ground and Utopia Sprawl . Ramp is life. - Fierce Empath is cheap and very effective at finding your creature answers. I run it in any deck that likes to use specifically powerful creatures, AKA green ones, lol.
- These ones are a tiny bit janky and unreliable, but Ezuri's Predation , Whirlwind and Monstrous Onslaught are green boardwipes.
- Swiftfoot Boots . Assuming you really like haste and hexproof on a 12/12 trampler, it is worth having another copy of Lightning Greaves by a different name. Also, this card is hilarious: Fleetfeather Sandals
- Apex Altisaur can cause some havoc. Often, getting rid of your opponents' engine pieces is the difference between life and death.
- Surrak, the Hunt Caller is an overlooked Green Haste Boi who could do work in this deck.
- Silklash Spider just because I'm very used to going toe-to-toe with flying decks. Granted, that's just my meta, but Silklash still does work as a defender in the case of no fliers. Heck, you're still happy even if you don't see any fliers - you want a ground game in the first place!
- Yeva, Nature's Herald is CRAZY. She effectively also gives Ghalta haste, which is all kinds of sweet.
- Rogue's Passage . It doesn't even take up a nonland slot!!! Free VALUE!!!!
- Zendikar Resurgent because cards + mana = happiness
Onto the cards I would suggest cutting:
- Elixir of Immortality . Your deck doesn't ever want to be in a game where this utility would be useful. This card simply doesn't do much. You already have Eternal Witness and if you really want a late-game reload, try Creeping Renaissance or Seasons Past .
- Gigantosaurus is alright, but I'm not in love with a 10/10 with no abilities. I know, I know, he makes Ghalta cost only 2, but I still think there are better options. Trust me when I say a creature with some sort of utility is preferable here. Ideas include the aforementioned Soul of the Harvest , Primordial Sage or a fight creature such as Thorn Mammoth or even another removal creature like Woodfall Primus or Terastodon (sorry, I know these are all really high CMC). Generally, cards that don't have some sort of utility are just not going to save your life when things get ugly.
- New Horizons and Gift of Paradise could be replaced with faster ramp. For the sake of having creatures (for cards like Guardian Project and Beast Whisperer , not to mention Ghalta, Primal Hunger ), it would even be better to run Wood Elves , Springbloom Druid , Yavimaya Dryad , or Farhaven Elf .
- Diamond Mare just isn't relevant. Sorry, but if you are in a position where gaining a small amount of life matters, odds are any other good green card would have done more to prevent you from being in such a bad spot. Your deck wants to be the aggressor, and quite honestly your offense will be so scary that most opponents wouldn't even consider attack out of fear of provoking you and simultaneously tapping their defenders. It isn't uncommon for a Green deck to retain the highest life total for a long time without the need for lifegain.
- I think you have a few too many artifacts. Remember that your commander LOVES having creatures on the field, so finding ways to turn your artifact utility into creature utility will go far.
- Staff of Nin is very slow and could be something like Garruk's Packleader instead.
All things considered, you've got a reasonably strong lineup. In a broad sense, I would recommend finding ways to include creatures with utility, since Ghalta appreciates bodies on the board and interaction allows you to curb your opponents' shenanigans as much as possible. Additionally and as I noted, there are fairly budget-friendly ramp options for the deck that are purely faster. Remember to keep a close eye on your Ramp and Draw, as these are the lifeblood of a commander deck, midrange especially.
It is worth mentioning that I never go below 34 lands. 35, and 36 are usually safe, so if you find yourself land-starved just add like 2 Forests and that should help.
Overall, you've done a good job though. Good luck making edits and please feel free to contact me about further changes/advice. I LOVE deckbuilding and Green is one of my colors ;)
3 months ago
A better alternative to Root Snare is Fog . I also recommend Leyline of Abundance for your ramp. I would also recommend more eldrazi, or just a way to search them out, because right now you don't have a very good chance of getting them. I would bump it up to 4x Llanowar Elves and cut 2x Elfhame Druid . Replace the last Elfhame Druid with another eldrazi (You will still need more). A better alternative to Naturalize is Return to Nature . Plummet should not be in the main board. Druid of the Cowl should be replaced by Elvish Mystic . Even tough it has less toughness it can start producing mana on turn 2 rather than 3. As for the buff spells, most eldrazi decks wont have those because eldrazi are already so big. The reason i gave better alternatives for Root Snare and Naturalize is because i don't know what to replace them with other than a better version, but there is probably something better.
4 months ago
Your curve is very high and you need way more mana dorks/ramp. Low CMC options include: Elvish Mystic , Fyndhorn Elves , Boreal Druid , Birds of Paradise , Honored Hierarch , Orcish Lumberjack , Beastcaller Savant , Copper Myr , Drover of the Mighty , Druid of the Cowl , Golden Hind , Gyre Sage , Harvester Druid , Heart Warden , Hedron Crawler , Iron Myr , Leaf Gilder , Leafkin Druid , Sylvan Caryatid , and Lotus Cobra .
Prowling Serpopard would be good for making your creatures uncounterable.
5 months ago
While the strategy is sound, you could easily improve the combat effectiveness of your low-cost creature base with mana dorks with high toughness. Leafkin Druid and Druid of the Cowl come to mind, although their mana cost is 1 higher than the dorks you've already got. Still though, a 3/3 equivalent isn't as bad of a late-game draw as a 1/1.
6 months ago
Cut this down to 60 total spells. You can move some of those cut cards into your sideboard.
Add at least 2 more lands, if not 4-6. The higher your AVG CMC, the more lands you'll need. Regarding lands, I know they're expensive - but the better the lands, the better the deck will run. If you're not already aware, All the lands in a sorted list is an amazing resource. A couple utility lands to consider: Ghost Quarter / Field of Ruin , Scavenger Grounds .
Swap out Druid of the Cowl for Elvish Mystic / Joraga Treespeaker . Fertile Ground / Utopia Sprawl would fit, too. Arbor Elf might be ok, but you'd have to mind your Forests. Like with land, the higher the AVG CMC, the more ramp you want. 12 ramp spells wouldn't be too many.
I'm not so sold on Goldenglow Moth, even though I am a fan. I think you'll get as much or more mileage out of good old fashioned Fog / Holy Day or even Order of the Stars . If it's lifegain you're after, Rest for the Weary . If you're trying to deal with flying creatures, then Deadly Recluse , or sideboard Plummet , or even Lingering Souls .