|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Ravaging Blaze deals X damage to target creature.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, Ravaging Blaze also deals X damage to that creature's controller.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Ravaging Blaze Discussion
8 months ago
With the potential for so many creatures, I'd be tempted to run Battle Hymn, then your backup plan (or response to a flipped Thing) can be any instant that can provide X damage, like - Ravaging Blaze, Fall of the Titans or Mindswipe. I'm not 100% on those X spells but I do think your deck could find a home for Battle Hymn.
8 months ago
adds Slagstorm, Flame Rift, Tormenting Voice, Wild Guess, Chaos Warp, Strionic Resonator, Thermo-Alchemist, Faultline, Staff of Nin, Worn Powerstone, Commander's Sphere, Sensei's Divining Top, Rogue's Passage, Ramunap Ruins,
potential adds Recoup, Fork, Chandra, Flamecaller, Runehorn Hellkite, Knollspine Dragon, Past in Flames, Molten Psyche, Cryptolith Fragment Flip, Fanatic of Mogis, Charmbreaker Devils, Firebrand Archer, Wild Ricochet, Sizzle, Flamebreak, Breath of Darigaaz, By Force, Ruination, Darksteel Plate, Sword of Fire and Ice, Sword of War and Peace, Sword of Feast and Famine, Magebane Armor, Blood Moon,
cuts Mizzium Mortars, Rolling Earthquake, Solemn Simulacrum, Burnished Hart, Extraplanar Lens, Outpost Siege, Sulfuric Vortex, Magma Jet, Ravaging Blaze, Skullcrack, Starstorm, Thunderous Wrath, Scrying Sheets, Terrain Generator, and a Mountain, switch to basics.
11 months ago
Finally got a chance to sit down and edit the decklist. I removed Izzet Boilerworks, Call the Skybreaker, Inexorable Tide, Syncopate, and Clash of Wills. Tezzeret's Gambit, Diminishing Returns, Fuel for the Cause, and Mystic Remora were put in. I see what you mean about the X counterspells, but having a few to generate experience counters are nice. If the deck runs correctly, Master the Way should be dealing an absurd amount of damage as long as I'm not top decking. Ravaging Blaze is just good budgeted spot removal and burn. Spelltwine happens to be super versatile when it comes to my graveyard, and there is going to be at least 1 good sorcery and instant in 3 other plays graveyards. I'm on the fence on Wild Ricochet as I see what you are saying.
11 months ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
1 year ago
Izzet Charm, Remand, Snapcaster Mage, Scalding Tarn + Steam Vents, Think Twice, Blood Moon, Burst Lightning over Wild Slash, Roast or Flame Slash. All cards you should consider adding. Also, Academy Ruins to go with Wurmcoil (and maybe Vedalken Shackles?). You may also play Bonfire of the Damned.
1 year ago
Kumano, Master Yamabushi, Obsidian Fireheart, Shivan Hellkite,Jinxed Choker Comet Storm, Ravaging Blaze, and Volcanic Geyser could enable wins off of Braids of Fire. With a few more things to do with mana at instant speed, braids could be savage.
Planeswalker's Fury could also be good