|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Master the Way
Draw a card. Master the Way deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of cards in your hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Master the Way Discussion
1 month ago
Finally got a chance to sit down and edit the decklist. I removed Izzet Boilerworks, Call the Skybreaker, Inexorable Tide, Syncopate, and Clash of Wills. Tezzeret's Gambit, Diminishing Returns, Fuel for the Cause, and Mystic Remora were put in. I see what you mean about the X counterspells, but having a few to generate experience counters are nice. If the deck runs correctly, Master the Way should be dealing an absurd amount of damage as long as I'm not top decking. Ravaging Blaze is just good budgeted spot removal and burn. Spelltwine happens to be super versatile when it comes to my graveyard, and there is going to be at least 1 good sorcery and instant in 3 other plays graveyards. I'm on the fence on Wild Ricochet as I see what you are saying.
1 month ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
6 months ago
Consecrated Sphinx, Winds of Change, Pull from Tomorrow, Read the Runes, Mulldrifter, Nin, the Pain Artist, Illuminate, Illusory Ambusher, Incendiary Command, Izzet Charm, Kefnet the Mindful, Laquatus's Creativity, Master the Way, Mindmoil, Molten Psyche, Faithless Looting, Fateful Showdown, Fiery Gambit, Flux, Wheel of Fortune, Forgotten Creation, Collective Defiance, Dack Fayden, Dangerous Wager, Desperate Ravings, Distant Memories, Bedlam Reveler ...
Any mass draw + Molten Psyche can be a funny way of finishing someone off...
Just ideas !
Bumping CommanderEesha's Skullclamp suggestion. It would be absolutely broken in this deck !
7 months ago
Ok, I still have a few comments/questions about what you guyz have said:
I know Imperial Recruiter is a good creature tutor, but the only relevant combo piece it could get is a Phantasmal Image, since the other ones have a greater power... It would have been a no brainer if I had more creatures in the list, but for now it will not make the cut. Maybe it will get tested later on, but not now.
This deck is not a 1vs1 deck, it is a multiplayer one, designed to play in 4 players pod, so I don't see Lightning Storm and Master the Way as viable cards in here. Kozilek, Butcher of Truth has been suggested couple times now, so I will look towards the inclusion. At first, I did not thaught about him because I wanted to have a low average CMC (at 2.16 for now) with a lot of cheap interaction spells. The more it has been suggested, the more I started thinking, and the more I wanted to include it in. The thing is, I need to have ways to play with it without my commander, because I will not cast Kozilek a lot, it would be there to recycle back my entire graveyard, and like it has been mentionned before, it would let me get infinite tokens once I have infinite mana through infinite cycling with the commander, winning with damage. I simply don't know what to remove for it yet.
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth will definitely come in as soon as I know what to remove. Cutting the Ashnod + Clamp combo seems the way to free 2 slots, since those are dead cards outside of combo... For now I will remove those two to include Kozilek, Butcher of Truth and Transmute Artifact. But I would simply like to know how Blood Moon affects my High Tide plan? I run quite a lot of basics, so it would not affect me a lot... And I think it would be pretty good against 3+ colors decks?
7 months ago
Maybe Kozilek would work in that sense? TBH I forgot Locust God loots so this actually makes any shuffling Titan worthwhile.
8 months ago
If you have a lot of cards in hand, you can use things like Master the Way Spiraling Embers Fateful Showdown along with copying spells too. Melek, Izzet Paragon could help you also along with Goblin Electromancer especially if you Rite of Replication it. If you use Arjun, the Shifting Flame he can help you cycle through card, add Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind or Psychosis Crawler along with Ophidian Eye or Curiosity and you have a good combo. Mirari can help you copy your instants and sorceries too.
11 months ago
I added Master the Way because it kinda fit the flavor and I would've liked to kill someone with it. I think compared to Spiraling Embers the cantrip is worth the one mana, since Arjun really likes to keep a full grip, but honestly there are stronger options all together. Thinking about it, I will probably replace it for something else. Off the top of my head I'd say Curse of the Swine seems like an improvement.