InstantPlayers can't gain life this turn. Damage can't be prevented this turn. Skullcrack deals 3 damage to target player.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
2 days ago
Dark Confidant is a good card but i don't liki it in this deck... so i suggest you to put out confidant..
-4 Lava Spike
+3 Bump in the Night (it's better then lava spike for flashback)
-1 Ball Lightning (3 red mana!)
P.S.sorry for my bad english :P
1 week ago
+1 Grim Lavamancer is occasionally seen in burn also.
1 week ago
You still get the token though. You should never go that crazy with the processor because of the 'Burn' argument. I also saw the synergy get screwed over pretty hard by Skullcrack one game.
1 week ago
1 week ago
Leyline of Punishment is bad. Once you become comfortable with using Skullcracks effectively, you'll realize how easy it is to play around most lifegain. Skullcrack is also needed to combat Kor Firewalker and other pro-red creatures for it's damage prevention clause so your creatures can trade with them, making it the better choice for SB slots. However, I've really liked my jund list that runs a single Tainted Remedy in the side. It has led to some blowout games where my opponent's own Kor Firewalker helps me more than they lol.
1 week ago
GlistenerAgent Seems like you're off to a good start. You've got the right idea of only running threats that create advantage. Here's some things I have learned after both careful play testing and several days now pouring over deck lists for tier 1 decks.
Cons to Butcher in General
- Butcher doesn't help you win any match ups that are bad for you (Naya Burn/Aggro - Infect - / Tron because he comes in so late. He's just to slow vs Naya Aggro and if they Skullcrack or Atarka's Command stopping your life gain? You just lost 98% of the time.
- Butcher requires you to eat "too" many of your dudes unless your Young Pyromancer hits perfectly and even then it's worth it if they just kill Butcher.
- Butcher makes your Splinter Twin match up worse compared to just running another removal spell. Why ruin one of our only good match-ups to a Tier 1 deck?
- Butcher makes your Cruel Control and Esper Control match ups worse. Vs either of these Bitterblossom and Lingering Souls do more work.
Cons to Butcher vs Tron
- If they are on the play and -3 targetting your lands, being willing to sacrifice Karn Liberated to Lightning Bolt or Lightning Helix to then play an Ugin, the Spirit Dragon safely your chances of playing butcher T4 are gone and chances of it T5 are still low and now they have a sick Planeswalker and are shocking your face in until you Hero's Downfall. Having to use Lightning Helix just to counteract a walkers +2 means you will lose.
- Their Whipflare ruins any chance of you having things to sacrifice to be able to swing right away with Butcher since they can T2 Whipflare and T3 Karn if they are using Chromatic Sphere or Chromatic Star. You would have to run X/3s or discard their whipflare. The former is inappropriate and the latter just won't always happen as their deck is much more consistent.
Pros to Alesha, Who Smiles at Death in general
- Vs Faeries it doesn't give a damn.
- Vs Karn Liberated, if you are on the play, forces them to -3 Karn on her instead of lands.
- Vs tron if they try to +4 karn instead allows you to go full on Fulminator Mage to stall until you get Sowing Salt or a way to remove Ugin or Emrakul from there decks.
- Vs Tron if you don't draw path and instead draw Terminate you can blow up their stupid Wurmcoil Engine with it and then have a blocker vs Wurmcoil or an attacker that recurs Fulminator Mage.
- Vs Merfolk it can help you race while recurring Abbot of Keral Keep once you get to 5 mana without fear of exiling your Liliana of the Veil if you play her.
- Vs Tron can recur a Magus of the Moon if they kill it with Whipflare since you had no discard.
Benefits of Alesha, Who Smiles at Death vs Naya Aggro
I'm not saying Alehsa is a particularly "good" way to beat naya aggro but she interacts way better than Butcher does.
- Causes them to Path to Exile it giving you more land so they can swing through which lets you play removal easier and ease up on the pace you are using fetches and shocks.
- Causes them to blow Atarka's Command's +1/+1 team buff so their Wild Nacatl can survive, giving you time to draw removal and answers.
- Causes them to blow a burn spell on it so they can swing through with their 2nd or possibly 3rd Goblin Guide, a situation where you save 1 life and might get a land to hand.
Pros to Alesha Alesha, Who Smiles at Death vs Twin
- Cannot be hit by Spell Pierce
- Not the end of the world if she dies to Lightning Bolt but not great either. Much better than tapping out for Butcher and then them hitting it with Cryptic Command or Remand.
- Can be played @ 5 mana if the opponent is @ 4 mana with only 3 open. Much more likely to happen than you being at 6 and them being at 4 with 1 tapped.
- Can swing in vs Pestermite, Snapcaster Mage, Deceiver Exarch, Vendilion Clique and Young Pyromancer tokens if you run into the Temur Variety.
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death can make impacts versus Tron and Naya Aggro that butcher has virtually no chance of. In addition its better than Butcher/Falkenrath vs Twin and virtually every other deck but not as good as just having more removal and Young Pyromancer.
- Landing a single Bitterblossom vs faeries bassically means you win, especially if followed up by Lingering Souls. Just watch out for people playing Oona's Blackguard and keep your removal ready for Scion of Oona or kill them as soon as turn passes back to you.
- Works great vs Twin or Evil Twin. Bad vs twin since they have much more direct burn.
- Bad vs Naya Aggro and Tron
- I haven't tested yet vs Jund or Abzan but I imagine Abrupt Decay makes this an awkward choice.
On the Living End matchup:
You can win this off of Bitterblossom and forcing them to unfavorably use their Living Ends with just Young Pyromancer, some burn to the face, and Lingering Souls. There is absolutely 0 need to use Butcher of the Horde or Falkenrath Aristocrat here.
2 weeks ago
I would put some Lighning Helix in the sideboard. If your only splashing green for Atarka's command I would just cut the color entirely because it is often just a Skullcrack and maybe either go Mardu or Boros
2 weeks ago
Basis (mono Red)
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all