Players can't gain life this turn. Damage can't be prevented this turn. Skullcrack deals 3 damage to target player.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Skullcrack occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.13%
1 month ago
I love what your doing here and Xantcha is one of my favorite rakdos commanders. (up voting)
- Vicious Rumors is the first card that comes to mind in this deck.
By itself it is a cheep cmc high value card that can offset the balance of an early game. However in your deck Scheming Symmetry to put Vicious Rumors on top your deck then activate Xantcha, Sleeper Agent to draw and cast. forcing your opponent to mil the card they just tutored. Flavor of "Fake Group Hug"
- Dockside Extortionist By itself it's good but your Splinter Twin makes it better, and your Staff of Domination makes it best. Potentially being another infinite mana combo. (Not to mention going timmy with extortionist is one of my favorite win conditions.)
Personal Preferences (Not Suggestions)
i also like to stack a lot of utility, (gy recursion, anti mill, spot removal,and at least 1 wipe)
Skullcrack in every red deck
and because i'm extremely anal and almost ocd aboout my decks
Xantcha is 2 color 3 cmc with inherent card vantage so i run her as a 60/40 14,16,20,6,2,1,1 with out ramp
1 month ago
Trius, you have such a well thought out post, I appreciate all of those points!
I started playing at a store with less burn heavy meta. I also decided to make the zoo more aggressive by taking all the lifegain out. The loss of Once Upon a Time to banning was a gut punch, but I began running Manamorphose and it is working well actually. Vexing Devil is gone. Myr Superion is in.
I still have trouble with some aspects of burn. Eidolon of the Great Revel is so difficult when you are behind. Skullcrack is not good. My best answer is Weather the Storm, which has allowed me to be able to gain massive amounts of life. Holding up mana feels weird, but Manamorphose allows me to do something useful with it.
1 month ago
This might be a bit late, but I hope it helps.
The list you posted earlier in the thread has 6 solid anti burn cards. I think the problem is less "not the right cards" and more "don't know how to use the cards".
There are 3 boxes to check if you want to beat burn:
1) 5+ life
2) Larger board state. Make sure they can't attack without losing creatures.
3) The burn player has an empty hand.
Then, once those three points are complete, you need to kill them ASAP.
You are Zoo. Point 2 and killing them shouldn't be very hard; they're built into your deck. Burn is actively emptying their hand, so it's just a matter of time. All you need are some pointers on 1.
Guide and Nacatl, as well as Pelt Collector are great for turn one.
Turn two, you should either use Bonecrusher Giant's Stomp to kill one of their creatures or flood the board even more. Don't attack yet.
Turn three, you want to resolve Knight or Finks. At this point, they should have played ~5 cards and be at ~2-3 cards in hand. If you followed the above instructions, you should be at 10+ life, as they've likely only player 2-3 actual burn spells and you didn't take more than 1-2 damage from creatures(if they went first). Also you should have gained 3-4 life. Alternatively, you can play Bonecrusher here if you Stomped something t2. Still don't attack quite yet, unless your board is 2+ creatures larger than theirs, which is possible with Emissary.
Turn 4: their hand should be essentially gone. If you've played it right, they can't get through your wall. This is where you start attacking. Leave 1-2 creatures on defense in case they attack, preferably the smaller ones like Knight, or leave Finks back because they will never attack into a Finks. It means game over if they kill Finks.
At turn 4, they've likely gotten themselves to 17 or less because of shocks, painlands etc. That extra free Bolt or more will help you when you go on the attack. Because you play Zoo, you should be able to kill them by turn 6. If all goes according to plan, you should end with 5+ life pretty easily.
If you do switch lists, adapt that basic synopsis for the new deck.
Also, here's a couple extra rules:
You want to go 1st 2/3 games, so it helps a lot to win g1. They have a huge advantage when going first. However, don't give up if you lose g1: The most they can do with their SB is have the full playset of Skullcrack. Path is no better against you than Bolt, and they run 18 removal that hurts you anyways.
They might be running Kor Firewalker or another anti-mirror card in their SB. Only about half your creatures are Red, so you can fight through it.
Vexing Devil is horrendous against burn. They will always take the damage. It's like saying "here, I'll just pay 1 mana to discard a card" most of the time. The damage won't matter til turns 4-6, and even then it's not worth it. Burn loves Devil being played against them.
Hope that helps.
1 month ago
-So scooping to bloodmoon sucks BUT There is one deck that runs it, which is blue moon. It uses Through the Breach and Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. Its only two colors so running basics doesnt hurt it as much as a three color deck. Also keep in mind that bloodmoon doesnt shut you off. You only lose 3 spells, and still have a board presence so they should board it out in the next game(s). They spend turn 3 casting a card with no clock, while you have dudes to play. Plus Smokebraider gets around bloodmoon. Dont worry about it.
- Risen Reef is a powerful card, but the lands come in tapped anyways. You can find risen reef super easy with your set up, but finding amulet is harder. Being you need this for your set up your going to want ways to find it such as Ancient Stirrings (lands are colorless btw).
- i havent played your deck much but it looks like your main clock is Devastating Summons plus maybe so 1/1 or 1/2. Spells like Electrolyze seem really good against you. Cryptic Command seems really good on your tokens.
- To mean it looks like you lose to burn, control, dredge, probably jund, humans, and eldrazi tron.
- Id recommend switching to the companion to the one i recommneded being you can cast it more often, and it lets you bring back dead cards.
- As a burn player Eidolon of the Great Revel is AMAZING. It is for me at least 2 mana win the game in certain match ups (like storm).
- Ive played against it and it deals damage, so much damage. I can beat it as burn but that wasnt to say the matches werent close. I went 2-1 against them. I beleive they went jund. Green was basically for Playing collected company.
- remeber shock lands zap your life total so dont run two many. Its a very common mistake when crafting a deck. - SB cards are interesting in games. you could run 1 mana counters such as spell pierce. Its amazing when they collected brutality for all the options and then you counter their spell. Anger of the gods is great usually but your deck doesnt want to see it so dont inculde sweapers. Tormod's Crypt for decks like dredge. Abrade Skullcrack Cindervines is another great card. It beats combo players, and holds for removal. Dismember is a good card but you need to consider if you can risk losing 5 life AND what would you need to remove that has more than 3 toughness?
2 months ago
2 months ago
This should be easier.
Now, regarding that, you have 8 X spells and 6 cost spell in a burn deck, which is way too many - this is making you play more lands than necessary for no reason.
General rule of thumb - if it costs more than 3 mana remove it from the deck. You do not need that. So remove those 12 cards, as well alms of the vein (you have no way to take advantage of madness), and Carnival / Carnage (subpar damage output), and 4 lands. That is 24 cards to take out.
3 months ago
ok a couple things. so i really think that you should be running Lightning Bolt in this deck. it is strictly better than Lightning Strike and possibly one of the best spells in burn. ALSO. Skullcrack is verry good. i think that you should cut down on the aria of flame down to like 2. not much else on my mind now, but i think torbran is awesome. good job!
3 months ago
The art in The Wanderer depicts a character who looks to have boobs, and where a skirt, also the art looks more feminine than masculine or gender neutral, so I'm pretty comfortable with saying She's a woman/female.
+1: Until the endstep of your next turn, prevent all noncombat damage that would be dealt to you and no spells or abilities your opponents control can make you lose life.
0: Any target gains protection from any color or colorless until the end of your next combat phase.
-2: Exile target permanent. If it's a land, its owner searches their library for a basic land, reveals it, shuffles their library, and puts it onto of their library. If it's a nonland permanent, its owner gains life equal to the its converted mana cost.
I think she'd find a home in modern or pioneer. An excellent control planeswalker. I mean, Generous Gift, Assassin's Trophy, Swords to Plowshares, etc. are excellent, and even sorcery speed and 3 mana, that's a powerful ability. Her +1 is entirely defensive, the 0 is either offensive or defensive, but next both, and her -2 is both.
No ultimate, as I wanted her power to be as a presence, not winning herself.
Btw, I have a Rakdos burn deck in modern, which uses Alms of the Vein, and Bump in the Night to get around prevent damage (Sideboard Skullcracks is case of real issue), and I wanted this walker to save you from even that and my favorite mechanic, extort & the commander of my favorite deck Kambal, Consul of Allocation.
I'd like to see a card which counters you favorite playstyle (mine are Stax and Burn), mechanic, or some other thing you love doing.