|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Jace vs. Chandra (DD2)||Common|
|Fifth Dawn (5DN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Counter target spell unless its controller pays (X).
Scry 2. (To scry 2, look at the top two cards of your library, then put any number of them on the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.)
3 weeks ago
This deck is super sweet. Gifts Ungiven is an incredible magic card and this deck really makes use of its value potential. A few things I would recommend:
- Go for the Throat is strictly better than Cast Down against most decks, since legendary creatures are much more common than artifact creatures. You could also play Murderous Cut if you weren't comfortable with the downside, but it does hinder your Curious Homunculus Flip and Torrential Gearhulk package a bit
- Hieroglyphic Illumination is super awkward in this deck since on 1 you'd rather cast Opt and on 4 you'd rather cast Gifts Ungiven . I'd probably cut them for 2 more Opt and another value spell
- Thirst for Knowledge isn't great in this deck since you can't take advantage of the "unless you discard an artifact" clause very often. I'd honestly probably cut this for countermagic or removal but if you were really insistent on playing another draw spell Think Twice is much better, especially in Gifts Ungiven piles. I'd also recommend cutting Champion of Wits in this 3-drop slot since it's sorcery speed and your deck really wants to curve 1-2-4 with Curious Homunculus Flip
- Your countermagic package leaves much to be desired. I'd definitely play some number of Remand (if you can afford it) and make your 1-ofs Logic Knot and Mana Leak , or Supreme Will if you're REALLY lacking in card selection. Negate is just too narrow for modern (though it is a good sideboard option) and Condescend is only really good in hand, and even then feels a bit clunky without Blue-Tron levels of mana acceleration
- Fatal Push would be very good in this deck, and from my understanding is pretty inexpensive right now. I'd pick those up and slot them in if you can.
The deck idea here is sweet, and I think with some minor changes it could make a super sweet budge deck. Good luck tuning it and have fun!
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
It doesn't seem like your counterspell/draw suite is good enough to hold out until you get to 7+ mana against combo and control decks. You only have two actual counterspells in your deck and you aren't guaranteed to hit your land drops with only 23 and not much card draw (Taking Turns, for example, plays the same number of lands, but most of their deck is dedicated to drawing cards and they still sometimes struggle to get to 5 mana on curve). Combo decks will just go under you and you'll lose the counter war against control. It does seem like you've taken the aggro matchup into consideration though.
Personally I think this deck would do a lot better if it were a variant of Mono U Tron that uses whales to win instead of Ugins and stuff. The tron lands allow for occasional fast starts to get ahead of combo, and Tron just naturally has a good matchup against control since they can make so much mana and go over the top of them. Condescend is also a really good card in U Tron.
1 month ago
I really like some of your ideas to produce mana and will be incorporating them into my version. It's Mizzix in the Mix if you would like to look and see if my ideas work for you.
I went more "all in" on the experience counters and have found that colored mana is at a premium. Therefore, I changed my counter spells from things like Counterflux, Dissipate, or Spell Crumple to things like Condescend, Power Sink, or Syncopate. That way I only need one blue open and I always get an experience counter. Mindswipe gives added burn value, and I like Spell Burst over Forbid as the game lock.
I also tried to replace creatures with spells where possible, so Archaeomancer turned into Mystic Retrieval and Recall, and Lunar Mystic turned into Whispers of the Muse. I also found that effects like Guttersnipe and Electrostatic Field didn't work as well for me as just having another burn spell. This may just personal style though.
Blasphemous Act takes out Mizzix with everything else. You could try Bonfire of the Damned, Sudden Demise, or even Rolling Thunder for some board control. Fanning the Flames looks even better in your list than mine I think.
You are right about there being a problem if Mizzix gets too expensive. I added Inexorable Tide to keep the experience counters coming even with Mizzix in the Command Zone. That allows you to just set up for one big turn where you recast him and win.
2 months ago
I recommend running more creatures, 18 doesn't seem like enough to me although I know that's what scrying helps with. A strategy I really love with Quest for Ula's Temple is proliferate, my number one choice for that is Thrummingbird since it adds more counters to Ula's Temple, it's a creature and makes a good mid-late game chump blocker. Tezzeret's Gambit or Contagion Clasp are other possibilities if you want more proliferate.
I look forward to playing against it!
2 months ago
I've been playing Mono Blue Control for several years and I strongly suggest more cantrips and better counters. I'd also advise 1-2 Cyclonic Rift in 75 as a catch all.
A Spreading Seas play set should be in the 75.
2 months ago
Condescend, Gridlock, Thought Reflection, Syncopate, Nissa, Steward of Elements, Wildest Dreams, Elixir of Immortality, Astral Cornucopia, Riftsweeper, Gyre Sage, Void Winnower, Waker of the Wilds all I think should get cut
2 months ago
Love the list! Though I'm curious as to why Supreme Will isn't on the list, as it seems to meet the qualifications. Sadly, Condescend and Syncopate don't seem to meet the 4th criteria, unless you think the option of scrying 2 and/or exiling the spell is worth it.
Condescend occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%