|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Clash of Wills
Counter target spell unless its controller pays .
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||ironax , Yawkcorb , BLEATH , PTsmitty , rakdos24 , NobleSlay3r , RazortoothMtg , zn.tportlock , dbp512 , ninjaclevs13|
|Want (5)||BringerOfStorms , BurnedImpulse , Hiven , zn.tportlock , RHF|
Clash of Wills Discussion
8 months ago
9 months ago
Finally got a chance to sit down and edit the decklist. I removed Izzet Boilerworks, Call the Skybreaker, Inexorable Tide, Syncopate, and Clash of Wills. Tezzeret's Gambit, Diminishing Returns, Fuel for the Cause, and Mystic Remora were put in. I see what you mean about the X counterspells, but having a few to generate experience counters are nice. If the deck runs correctly, Master the Way should be dealing an absurd amount of damage as long as I'm not top decking. Ravaging Blaze is just good budgeted spot removal and burn. Spelltwine happens to be super versatile when it comes to my graveyard, and there is going to be at least 1 good sorcery and instant in 3 other plays graveyards. I'm on the fence on Wild Ricochet as I see what you are saying.
9 months ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
1 year ago
Desolation Twin is a bad SnT target cause you don't get the trigger.
Also the usual cards aren't normally Ulamog and Emrakul. Normally it is Emrakul and Griselbrand.
There are ways to seriously improve this but keep it cheap too.
1 year ago
If I had to pick cards other than land I think should go they would be Archetype of Imagination, Frost Titan, Hornet Queen&Hydra Broodmaster unless you added some token doublers like Doubling Season, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur and maybe Lorthos, the Tidemaker but I can see him working ok. Rishkar, Peema Renegade can just become a cheaper mana dork however if you keep him I like Avenger of Zendikar. I would also take out Worldspine Wurm you dont need multiple things that stop milling and you have Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre already. Leyline of Anticipation is cute but Alchemist's Refuge is better so if you want that affect more often change leyline into Crop Rotation. Sandwurm Convergence should go for the same reason as Hornet Queen&Hydra Broodmaster. Clash of Wills should be Spell Pierce dissalow is cool but with all the 1 and 2 drop counter spells just use those... Swan Song is another I forgot. Id also rather have a Pongify or Rapid Hybridization over Plummet every time.
Drain Power seems awesome... Until you realize that your opponents can just tap all their land in response and you get nothing.
1 year ago
Coming back after having looked at the deck a bit more.
I think you can cut on the hate cards. You have a lot of counterspells, I'd cut the ones that aren't as good in EDH as in other formats. For example Clash of Wills, in EDH players usually tend to have more mana, so most of the time they'll be able to play that "x" cost without trouble.
Your manabase could use some help. I'd play some duals and utility lands. For example Thornwood Falls, Botanical Sanctum, Simic Guildgate, they'll help you to easier reach your requirements for double of the same manacost. Utilitylands like Rogue's Passage help your creatures get through or in the case of Arcane Lighthouse allow you to get around some protection on your opponent's creatures.
You should run some more manaramp, for example Cultivate and Kodama's Reach place lands into play and in your hand, advancing you easily. This is the biggest problem I have with Attune with Aether in EDH as it puts the lamd in your hand and so doesn't ramp you. Most lists aslo play Sol Ring in EDH because it makes for a nice jump in available mana.
Containment Membrane isn't good in EDH as there are enough ways to untap or blink permanents and enchantment hate is out there too.