|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Dragon
Flying, haste, protection from white
When Stormbreath Dragon becomes monstrous, it deals damage to each opponent equal to the number of cards in that player's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||mcstang1986 , YossarianLives , buildingadeck , Caldazar , bradyofportdetroit , redlegs_17 , REV666 , CoolBeansBrattah , Splashy , johnsongrantr , Spinalripper , philktoken8998 , golgarigirl , thetechzombie , abby315 ,|
|Want (2)||bradyofportdetroit , Bovine073|
Stormbreath Dragon Discussion
4 days ago
Nukulargear- Oops! I meant to say to add a few Noble Hierarchs instead of the birds (you know, that other 1 cmc mana dork that taps for multiple colors). You may have missed the window as far as getting them for cheap though (they aren't budget friendly atm). And yes, having some discard in the side would be good in the combo and control matchups along with a few others where turn 1 discard would wreck them. You probably wouldn't need more than 5 slots for them max. Also another little thing is that I would swap the numbers on your Fatal Pushs and Path to Exiles. Path in a vacuum is the better card, removing almost everything short of a Stormbreath Dragon, Etched Champion, or bogle in modern (all of which push misses as well). Push is great but not as universal, so I'd err on the side of having more paths.
5 days ago
1 match does not testing make.
My suggestion would be to go into RW, play a midrangey sort of game with Dragons as your midrange threats. Thunderbreak Regent, Path to Exile, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Helix, maybe Scourge of Valkas, Thundermaw Hellkite or Stormbreath Dragon. You don't need many dragons for a 5 mana 4/4 with a built in shock to bolt to become good, especially when it can kill walkers.
You then have better options for planeswalkers, such as Chandra, Torch of Defiance to help ramp into dragons, provide burn/removal and CA, and cards like Chalice of the Void, Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon to put you ahead.
If you are looking for a mono-red dragon deck, look at Legacy's Dragon Stompy. While the lists have changed recently to be less dragon based, the core of Chalice/Blood Moon/Chrome Mox/Sol Lands/Trinisphere is solid, and you can just play stuff like Rakdos Pit Dragon
5 days ago
Modern does not rotate. So all your cards are still modern legal. That being said, I would personally be tempted to cut Dragon Tempest, and Scourge of Valkas -- or at least greatly reduce the numbers. Effects like that are good for tribes that can spam the board... and dragons just have too high a mana cost to spam. I think 2 of those effects would be fine. Crucible of Fire also seems like overkill. Dragons are bigger than like 85% of creatures you will find in modern. Making them taller when your creatures are already tall just feels win-more. Aspiring to cast Utvara Hellkite also seems optimistic with 24 lands and no real ramp.
6 days ago
I don't think you understans how grateful I am for your thoughts. Have been posting on reddit, talking to friends and haven't really gotten the input you just gave.
I think your are on spot regarding the Glorybringer. I playtested the deck yesterday and came to about the same conclusion as you though I didn't see it as clearly. My friends Thought-Knot Seer and Walking Ballista loomed over me while I was sitting on a uncastable Mandrill and a useless Commune.
My thought after playtesting was that I needed creatures that do impact by themselves as well as being able to be sacrificed. Like Kitchen Finks.
My thought on Siege Rhino was purely anti-aggro but in hindsight Thragtusk should be the only card for that. I thought that since I fetch my wincons color doesn't matter. Something I have come t realize is bad.
I will definitely try both Stormbreath Dragon and Glorybringer as well as your idea for the mana. And if you have any more suggestions on both sacs or big guns for Eldritch Evolution it would mean the world to me.
6 days ago
I think with Eldritch Evolution giving you access to the exact creature you need, you should have a wider range of options instead of simply 4 Thundermaw Hellkites. While the card is definitely fantastic, wouldn't it be great to be able to grab a Stormbreath Dragon against a deck with Path to Exiles? Or a Glorybringer when your opponent's Elvish Archdruid, Steel Overseer or Lord of Atlantis threatens to overwhelm you? Those cards might individually be slightly worse than Thundermaw, but the added flexibility seems well worth it to me.
Hooting Mandrills is really hard to enable unless you draw one of your copies of Commune with the Gods. With only 4 Communes in the deck, Mandrils will often rot in your hand for while. Both of those cards are only good if you a) draw Commune with the Gods, b) draw Hooting Mandrills or hit if off Commune, c) also draw Eldritch Evolution, d) your Mandrils doesn't get countered or removed before you get to sac it to Evolution and finally, e) you haven't drawn your single copy of Atarka yet, or milled it with Commune. Sure, you could just get a Thundermaw instead, but that doesn't seem worth all the effort.
Dragon Egg is another card that only really works if you draw another card to go with it, Eldritch Evolution in this case. Otherwise, all it does is sit there, hoping for your opponent to attack into it, and your great pay off is not much better than Wind Drake.
Your ramp package seems solid, but instead of Birds and SfT, you could run Arbor Elf and Utopia Sprawl. They cost the same and do the same thing on their own, but generate extra mana whenever your Elf gets to untap a land enchanted by Utopia Sprawl. So with no real downside you get the potential to be more explosive.
The Siege Rhinos in your sideboard are really odd. What is your thinking behind that choice? Couldn't Obstinate Baloth fulfil that role?
1 week ago
1 week ago
To be a control deck in modern, you need counters, removal, draw and bombs.
You want 25 lands. Ensure you can draw and play one most turns. Have a good late game. Some of these lands can be man-lands, such as Wandering Fumarole, utility lands such as a 1 or 2 of Desolate Lighthouse, and dual lands, such as Steam Vents, Sulfur Falls.
For counterspells, your bread and butter is Mana Leak. If you can afford it, Cryptic Command is a must play, and if you play fetches so is Logic Knot. Rune Snag can be decent but suffers versus any deck with GY hate. Silumgar's Scorn can be powerful, depending on how you line up your win-condition.
For removal, Lightning Bolt is like, the basis. Electrolyze is pretty decent. If this is budget, Harnessed Lightning can be a good option with some energy production, as it lets you kill big things as needed.
For draw, there are a few ways you can go. You can keep low to the ground with Ancestral Vision (not very budget), Think Twice or go big with Pull from Tomorrow and similar. I personally quite like Think Twice and Pull from Tomorrow together.
For your creatures, you want something cheap, hard to remove, big and ideally with flash. Sadly none of those exist cheaply. Cryptic Serpent is a good size, doesn't die to bolt or decay/push and can come down cheaply late game. Thundermaw Hellkite and Stormbreath Dragon enable Scorn and end the game quickly but lack the cheapness. Torrential Gearhulk gives you all the value, is big, and flashes in. Etc etc.
1 week ago
- Hymn of the Wilds (this card sucks in multiplayer. Every deck needs its instants and sorceries)
- Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast gold cards should fit an archetype or just be good, and this doesnt fit either category
- Ghost Council of Orzhova pretty bad actually
- Figure of Destiny I think your initial impression was right. Lets scrap it
- Magister of Worth white has enough wrath effects
- Tidehollow Strix no comment
- Arlinn Kord Flip I think Xenagos is better based on how the archetypes are shaping up
- Surrak Dragonclaw I think Maelstrom Wanderer fits the archetypes in temur better (spells, gruul beats and whatever simic does)
- Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile discourages attacks, even against other players, which is bad. If we had included Azorius hard control, stax or tax this card would be fine though
- Gustcloak Savior I dont think it does enough
- Herald of the Host Serra Angel isnt good enough for this format
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip pikers arent good enough in this format, and he sucks as a planeswalker I think
- Crescendo of War too slow
- Dusk / Dawn I think that ultimately there wont be a deck that really benefits from this
- Just a general note about white: we have too many pump effects. Lets cut a couple.
- Broodbirth Viper fine if the cube is lower power level, but its quite high now
- Quickling do we have a deck for this card?
- Serendib Efreet this card doesnt match up well against multiple opponents
- Reverse Engineer too narrow
- Should we include a few more morphs so that stratus dancer is less obvious? Maybe Willbender, Thousand Winds and Kheru Spellsnatcher? At least all these cards kick ass in multiplayer.
- Bloodghast only good in one deck, and even then, it requires some setup. I feel Reassembling Skeleton is a better option for the cube.
- Sly Requisitioner too narrow
- Triskaidekaphobia cute but too shitty
- Dark Confidant I realized this card will probably just kill you.
- Phyrexian Metamorph feel kind of stupid for missing this
- Spellskite maybe this sucks, I dunno
- Curse of the Swine
- Kheru Spellsnatcher
- Thousand Winds
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
- Waste Not
- Innocent Blood
- Bloodchief Ascension
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel
- Reassembling Skeleton
I think our next task will be deciding which are the best 50 or so cards in each color from our pool. that should lay the groundwork for deciding which narrow cards (i.e., archetype-specific) cards we should include. Curious to hear your thoughts on cuts/additions!