Instant — Arcane
Return X target creature cards from your graveyard to your hand.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Death Denied Discussion
1 month ago
now that black has Biblioplex Assistant you can infinite loop Songs of the Damned as long as you have Spark Reaper , Stinkweed Imp and Tortured Existence which is really sick we used to need red or blue. its a lot of cards but if you get imp and tortured you should just be able to combo off.
4 months ago
You might like these: Forever Young , Neko-Te , Nim Devourer , Wake the Dead , No Rest for the Wicked , Skirge Familiar , Songs of the Damned , Death Denied , Restless Dreams , Altar of the Brood , Millikin , Extractor Demon , Sifter of Skulls , Awaken the Erstwhile , Champion of Stray Souls , Dread Summons
9 months ago
Orange+: Thank you for the kudos.
The Minus counter theme is something that grew while going through my collection. I do realize that Ifnir and Carnifex Demon don't target, and that actually is the reason I included them. The deck has two cards that can steal opposing creatures. The first one is Grave Betrayal, which is just ridiculously powerful, but also costs seven mana. The second one is Necroskitter. If I were to target a creature which e.g. Cauldron of Souls, it would die before getting the counter, so Necroskitter wouldn't trigger. The demons can spread the minus counters without targeting, so the next targetting ability will give me control over them. A thing that seems very interesting in this regard is that proliferate doesn't target. I don't yet know what to make of this, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to abuse this...
The auras are meant to be used just as you said. They can protect my creatures when I attach them without an active Horobi. Swiftfoot Boots are especially important here. Protecting either K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth or Magus of the Coffers is crucial. Unhallowed Pact and Unholy Indenture habe a special little place in that regard: They can simply be protection, but enchanting an opposing creature with either before putting out Horobi is another way to steal them.
There are overall three spells like that: Bone Harvest, Forever Young, and Gravepurge. They are somewhat of a combo with Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Bolas's Citadel. Fill my grave with lots of creatures, control a Citadel and have a Merchant in hand or graveyard. Cast one of the three recursion spells, put all the creatures on top (If Gary is in the Grave, put him on the bottom of the creature pile). Cast all the creatures with Citadel, then cast Gary into a crowded board and drain an obscene amount of life. When we have enough mana, Death Denied or Reaping the Graves can do a similar thing.
There is one find in particular that I really like in the deck: I've always wanted a reason to play Skeletal Wurm. Horobi is propably the only deck that can make use of it, and it plus the not so small number of other activated abilities is the reason I included Necrotic Ooze. This can be a very powerful creature that can protect itself from Horobi's influence.
10 months ago
Lhurgyof - I would personally keep those cards away from Syr Konrad and use them in deck with
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
Vilis, Broker of Blood
, etc... also from the new set:
(I know this is few months old comment, so you probably know about it already).
nieds - I see you already got a lot of really good cards, I'll just type some of them that I cut out since they're kinda meh in this kind of deck below. Anyway, you can check my Syr Konrad's deck here: For the Void. Im still switching few cards, explaining why I chose every card in the deck description, etc. I decided to go with mix of reanimator+aristocrats with several infinite combos. So I would welcome any feedback aswell and you might get some inspiration right there! :)
Some cards I would cut and why:
- is good in voltron / attack based decks, but here it looks like a random card that can gives you some life back (which black/other artifacts can do just better than lifelink artifact), but for 6 mana its meh. You could replace it with
, which is three times mana cheaper and provides you with another utility ability. Or simply
as another pseudo mana rock that also gives you a bit of life.
2) Sensei's Divining Top - I know SDT is amazing on its own, but I wouldnt personally bother with it, unless you would go for the Aetherflux Reservoir + Bolas's Citadel + Sensei's Divining Top combo. I would switch it for either Viscera Seer (as another free sac outlet), or my choice for my deck was Shadows of the Past (with any infinite creature generator+sac and Bolas's Citadel, you can just "tutor" and cast whatever you want from top of your deck - think I explained it in my deck's description already or I add it sometime later).
3) Painful Quandary - Again, good card, just doesnt fit that well in my opinion. Goes well with Mindcrank and Archfiend of Despair but thats probably about it. I would rather put it in some discard focused deck. Instead of this, card like Morality Shift would be really cool for sure. Or cards like Forever Young / Gravepurge / Death Denied to proc Syr Konrad's ability and recast them with Bolas's Citadel + another card draw sources. Or you could also stick to enchantments liie Mortuary / Haunted Crossroads (parts of my infinite combos).
4) From planeswalkers I would personally keep only Liliana of the Dark Realms (to help with land drops and deck thining) and Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools (creates more tokens than Lilianas, decent card-draw and punish opponents for letting you -10 him). Other Lilianas are not bad for sure, just either slow or not that fascinating as they seems to be. Karns are just out of place.
Cards I would put in for sure:
- even on its own, it triggers Syr Konrad's ability twice and only for everytime! As you might already know, I use it with
to make infinite etb/die/sac triggers.
2) Bog Witch - discarding (creature) cards to trigger Syr Konrad's ability; is basically Dark Ritual on a stick which you could use to Reanimate / Animate Dead / Victimize right after. Also is 1/1, so another target for your Skullclamp .
3) Doom Whisperer - big good stuff with ability to filter your deck and put creatures directly from your library into the graveyard.
4) Haunted Crossroads - even on its own, its great way to get your creatures back (on top of library for Bolas's Citadel), next to Phyrexian Reclamation .
5) Emergence Zone - simply to give your spells Flash when you would need them, really nice utility land (similar is Winding Canyons but only for creatures, so eh).
6) Malakir Rebirth Flip - cheap way to "protect" your creature, triggering Syr Konrad's ability or another land if needed.
7) Tainted Strike - absolute game winning beast card with Syr Konrad and either any creature/sac generator, boardwipe with 10+ creatures on board, or discard/mill cards.
8) Diabolic Intent - you got plenty of token generators, so this is just mana-cheap tutor.
9) Feed the Swarm - more ways to deal with enchantments and creatures.
I hope some of this will help and you like some of those cards! :)
11 months ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
11 months ago
Thanks for the comment. I do appreciate the feedback. Before I started posting changes in the description I had run many of those cards you suggested and they were "meh" at best. Although I should probably run Fleshbag Marauder over Slum Reaper to keep costs down a little bit. I think I'll make this change to my paper deck and try it before I change it here.
I had thought about Mesmeric Fiend in the past. But I could never convince myself that it was better than some of the other creature choices I had. I'll re-visit that idea. I wanted to keep the emphasis more on board state disruption over hand disruption. I felt that if I was including hand disruption I would need to go all in and that would greatly reduce the idea of it being a creature deck that utilizes sacrificing my creatures as a key means of gaining benefit. (What I just said may seem a bit contradictory but most of the other hand disruption spells are simply spells and not creatures like Fiend). So yes the Fiend is a crit that I can sacrifice but if I'm going the way of hand disruption I would then have to include a lot more of those other spells and possibly have to remove other more important cards to fit hand disruption in those spots.
I like Death Denied over unearth as it nets me more of a return. When I'm able to return 4-5 creatures rather than just one, and a very situational (1) creature at that. I would prefer to be able to choose any creature in my graveyard.
I run Pestilence over Crypt Rats. There is a lot of creature destruction in the meta and a lot less enchantment removal. This is the only reason I run it over the Rats. I play Rats in other decks and it seems to be bolt bait more often than not. Yes, it's easier to get the rats back over the Pestilence but normally I only need to use it once to get myself out of a pickle. It is a solid card and to be honest should probably be in here over Pestilence and is most likely the "better" choice. I can be stubborn sometimes when it comes to being comfortable with how a deck runs. You know the old saying. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
Feel free to post any more ideas you may have. I love to get opinions from other players.
1 year ago
the other fun one was with ravnica, Izzet Guildmage + Lava Spike + Desperate Ritual goes infinite on 6 mana. (cast lava spike for , splice for , copy for , use copy's to copy original, rinse / repeat)
copying spells was the most fun bit for me - nuking out a Paladin en-Vec with Reach Through Mists spicing Glacial Ray was priceless. Spice's big edge over kicker was that it wasn't an additional cost, and therefore not reflected in the CMC of the spell. with it, you can bypass Gaddock Teeg's decree and dump all mana into a single spell, and still be able to cast it
1 year ago
Snuff Out would be better than Terror, I think.
This seems like a good deck for Tortured Existence. It would allow you to reuse some of your more useful ETB/LTB triggers.
Krosan Tusker is a very overlooked draw spell. It's a 3-mana, instant speed, uncounterable Divination in Green that guarantees you a land. I would play it over Bequeathal.
Carrion Feeder is pretty much the best sac outlet out there, in my opinion. It should really be in this list somewhere.
With all the saccing you're doing, I think Mortician Beetle could give you a lot of free value. It also counts the opponent's sacrifices, so it works well with something like Slum Reaper or Abyssal Gatekeeper.
Wail of the Nim is a good, versatile boardwipe that can feel one-sided. I would play this over Sandstorm, which can be a bit narrow.
With all your ramp and Ashnod's Altar, you could support a very big Death Denied, which could take the place of some of your worse draw.
Gangrenous Zombies seems like a better choice for you than most of your boardwipes, even without snow-covered lands (if you want to save some money, just get 3-5 snow-covered swamps and fetch them out).