|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Core Set 2019 (M19)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Whenever you cast a creature spell with power 4, 5, or 6, Sarkhan's Unsealing deals 4 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker.
Whenever you cast a creature spell with power 7 or greater, Sarkhan's Unsealing deals 4 damage to each opponent and each creature and planeswalker they control.
Sarkhan's Unsealing Discussion
1 month ago
What I think you're after is a take on the standard gate deck except that it leans heavily on the direct damage plan to win games. The advantage of this being removal doesn't effect your plan as much but the disadvantage being that no burn spell could ever deal more damage than a Gatebreaker Ram attacking for a couple turns. Considering this, I think Sarkhan's Unsealing is probably not right for this plan if you're really cutting down on the creature count.
Risk Factor seems decent if you think of it as a 6cmc 8 damage Banefire . A problem you'll probably run into is the inherent card disadvantage of these type of effects could leave you out of cards quite quickly if you don't draw Guild Summit or it gets removed. I'd suggest trying to find some redundancy for this effect.
Speaking of which, The Mirari Conjecture could be a nice way to re-buy and double up burn effects especially considering ramp makes that plan all the more viable. Fight with Fire is also a sweet two card combo with it and works as a removal spell if your opponent is putting out too much pressure.
Finally I'd suggest a transformational sideboard plan. Having a creatureless mainboard and 8 colossi or rams in the side can really invalidate your opponent's sideboard hate.
2 months ago
Out: - Citadel Siege - Crucible of Fire - Dragon Breath - Dragon Fangs - Dragon Scales - Dragon Shadow - Fervent Charge - Mighty Emergence - Sarkhan's Unsealing - Triumph of Ferocity - Atarka Monument - Dragon's Hoard - Dromoka Monument - Kolaghan Monument - Ojutai Monument - Silumgar Monument - Response / Resurgence - Akoum Hellkite - Bone Dragon - Dromoka, the Eternal - Flameblast Dragon - Foe-Razer Regent - Furyborn Hellkite - Hoarding Dragon - Jugan, the Rising Star - Mana-Charged Dragon - Nicol Bolas - Shieldhide Dragon - Azorius Chancery - Gruul Turf - Izzet Boilerworks - Orzhov Basilica - Rakdos Carnarium - Simic Growth Chamber
Replacement Options - Atarka, World Render - Boneyard Scourge - Broodmate Dragon - Darigaaz Reincarnated - Dragonlord Kolaghan - Harbinger of the Hunt - Hellkite Tyrant - Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Nesting Dragon - Rith, the Awakener - Ryusei, the Falling Star - Scourge of the Throne - Utvara Hellkite - Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire - Skyshroud Claim - Nissa's Pilgrimage - Farseek - Sol Ring - Smothering Tithe - Dragonspeaker Shaman - Earthquake - Commander's Sphere - Chromatic Lantern - Darksteel Ingot - Wayfarer's Bauble - Fellwar Stone - Armillary Sphere - Burnished Hart - Mirari's Wake - Curse of Opulence - Unclaimed Territory - Exotic Orchard - Mountain s, Swamp s, Forest s, Island s, Plains
2 months ago
@Demon86RM, Foul Renewal is a neat 2 for 1 but I don't like that the removal is conditional on having an appropriately-large creature in my graveyard. When I need removal, I just want that thing gone.
@MattN7498, when you're editing your deck, there's a checkbox option called "Show other decks" that will automatically show your other decks on the left-hand side. No HTML required. Sarkhan's Unsealing is pretty cool, just hard to find something weak to take out and make room for it. I'll keep it in mind next time I want to replace something.
@DwaginFodder, I've got a lot of controlling players in my playgroup and after the first few turns, people generally have the available to prevent me from using Rhystic Tutor . I originally skipped over Crucible of the Spirit Dragon because it's slow but you're right, it's nice when I'm not curving out perfectly, or later game when I just have the to spare. Added it in!
2 months ago
How is Sarkhan's Unsealing performing in your list? It doesn't make much in mine, usually sits in hand so I'm thinking about swapping it for something else.
2 months ago
Some great card choices in here, but it does seem a bit light on card draw and removal. Elemental Bond , Colossal Majesty and Beast Whisperer could be good for card draw. Land/artifact ramp is also generally better than creature ramp in commander, board wipes are everywhere. If you are looking for a good board wipes/removal yourself though, Chandra's Ignition and Sarkhan's Unsealing are both great. Temple Altisaur and Trapjaw Tyrant could be good additions too. Hope that helps!
3 months ago
Maybe add Journey to Eternity Flip for some additional boardwipe protection? It will save a key creature so you don't have an empty board and then flip and let you start putting your creatures directly into play. Its a bit of a slow recovery but you are packing a lot of big beaters here so each one has a lot of impact.
And for some additional removal; Manglehorn kills artifacts and slows down opponents' use of mana rocks they bring in later, Reclamation Sage is almost as versatile as the Slime, and Crater Hellion is a [limited] creature boardwipe in red. And considering the avg power of your creatures, Sarkhan's Unsealing could be a kind of machine gun for you.
Something like Sidisi, Undead Vizier would be a good include to fetch the Surge. Sadly this has gotten much more expensive in the last couple of years.
Overall though, this deck has a pretty brutal mana curve. I don't know that I've seen a deck with an avg CMC of 5+ and to support Primal Surge you're not running some of green's best ramp spells so I would expect it to be a bit slow in building. I think you might need to trim some of the real expensive creatures for things like Beast Whisperer , Greater Good , Guardian Project and Soul of the Harvest for some additional card draw as well. Just with your basics alone I'd also make 2 swamps and 1 mountain into forests as you have a lot of green in your casting costs and not enough sources to support it.
3 months ago
Just a heads up, I'd replace your Mountains with Snow-Covered Mountain s because Extraplanar Lens doubles mana of ALL lands named. More than likely no one at the table will have snow lands so... Plus this gives your access to Scrying Sheets which is something this deck greatly needs, card advantage. Also I REALLY, REALLY think you should be playing Sarkhan, Fireblood and Sarkhan's Unsealing they are WAY too good for this deck.
Here's some card suggestions!
- Chandra, Torch of Defiance
- Staff of Nin
- Mind's Eye
- Wheel of Fortune
- Sensei's Divining Top
- Faithless Looting
- Tormenting Voice
- Cathartic Reunion
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Sin Prodder
- Hedron Archive
- Treasure Map Flip
- The Immortal Sun
- Experimental Frenzy
- Endless Atlas
- Coveted Jewel
Here are some cut suggestions:
- Fledgling Dragon: For four mana you could play Moltensteel Dragon or Territorial Hellkite both of which are more value in my opinion
- Emblem of the warmind: As stated previously it's too easy to deal with.
- Farsight mask: Mind's Eye is strictly better, and you don't want to get hit in the face in order to draw a card.
- Kindred charge: This is PURELY a wind more card in dragons. By the time you cast this, because you'll hold it trying to maximize the copies, you'll be doing massive damage ANYWAY.
- Ancient hellkite: A lot of mana for a meh dragon when this could be a Steel Hellkite , Kilnmouth Dragon , Skyline Despot , or a Demanding Dragon
- Archwing dragon: If you are going to dedicate paying four mana to a dragon every turn, just play Dragon Tyrant
- Slumbering dragon: I like this card idealy... but if we are being honest... This card is NEVER going to wake up, no one is going to let an 8/8 dragon sit on the table for 5 turns.
- Zirilan of the claw: It's good... but you have to exile your creatures... and that's not good for you.
4 months ago
Alright can definitely give you some ideas than Salinas29!
Since you are playing in large pods some cards that can definitely help you would be:
- Neheb, the Eternal - Highly recommend this card!
- Etali, Primal Storm - In multiplayer pods this card is devastating!
- Vial Smasher the Fierce - Great card all around.
- Viashino Heretic - This is if you play in a artifact heavy meta.
- Twilight Prophet - Card draw and damage, love this card a lot.
- Lobber Crew - Decent effect if you have a lot of multicolored spells.
- Pyrohemia - Semi board wipe effect but also cost reducer for you.
- Pestilence - Black version of above one.
- Sunbird's Invocation - Extremely fun card to play with.
- Sarkhan's Unsealing - Can get really nasty real quick, plus low cost.
- Fiery Confluence - All modes are relevant in this deck.
- Angrath, the Flame-Chained - Control and reducer, a bit high on CMC though.
- Chandra, Torch of Defiance - An all star, ramp, reducer, and card draw.
Now for the big creatures that can provide additional utility effects, here are some cards that can be considered:
- Conduit of Ruin - Allows you to grab creatures and additional cost reducer.
- Void Winnower - Hate piece and a big filthy creature.
- Steel Hellkite - Beater that can destroy a lot of good stuff.
- Combustible Gearhulk - Card Advantage (CA) or cost reducer, win/win.
- Sandstone Oracle - Hand refill on a stick.
- Garna, the Bloodflame - Semi recursion in case of a boardwipe.
Importantly as well is to have some early game plan, ramp, CA, and utility spells. Here are some cards that can be also considered.
- Rakdos Charm
- Blasphemous Act
- Chandra's Ignition
- Go for the Throat
- Chaos Warp
- Reforge the Soul
- Phyrexian Arena
- Dark Ritual
- Culling the Weak
- Sol Ring
- Fellwar Stone
- Talisman of Indulgence
- Commander's Sphere
- Chromatic Lantern
- Mass Hysteria
The best route if you want to inflict a lot of pain is going for the big Eldrazis but I won't list them as they are quite expensive even after the reprint in UMA. If you can pick them up than definitely go for it! They are absolutely filthy creatures that would make people cry :3
Aside from that feel free to ask for any additional help, I love helping people tune their decks!
Sarkhan's Unsealing occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%