|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Sight of the Scalelords
At the beginning of combat on your turn, creatures you control with toughness 4 or greater get +2/+2 and gain vigilance until end of turn.
Sight of the Scalelords Discussion
1 month ago
About that - main problem here is that you want to have too much high CMC cards that make 'cool things' but it's better to settle for less and actually get there. Playing Dragon tribe already fills your high end of the curve so we need to focus on lower CMC interaction/ramp/draw to get to cast as many of the mentioned creatures as possible.
That's why Crucible of Fire and Sight of the Scalelords are bad but you seem to discover another way to win besides fight with big beaters - it's reanimator strategy. So I'd rather get 4/4 or 5/5 Dragon with Animate Dead for AND do something else than cast one of those enchantments and pass, hoping that it survives on board. I personally use reanimation with Dragon Tempest as a secondary strategy to kill as many people as possible with damage from dragons coming back and then smash the rest with them, since they get haste.
Abrupt Decay has that advantage of hitting NONLAND permaments... so creatures, enchantments, artifacts, planeswalkers all go down. While Vraska's Contempt is overpriced Path to Exile in black since planeswalkers can be overrun with Dragons and 2 life gain is negligible. It's not about hitting someone's Craterhoof Behemoth or in your case Hellkite Overlord it's about dealing with Sylvan Library / Phyrexian Arena , Chromatic Lantern or Yisan, the Wanderer Bard that get them there. And that's the lesson that I learned few months back and made drastic changes to my deck - Bow before Draconic King!!! | *WAR* Update. It's still a Dragon deck but has everything that early game requires so I can still compete with better tuned decks of others.
That's why for changes I'd propose:
- Kilnmouth Dragon -> Night's Whisper - instead of giving someone information what you have for 7 mana you get 2 cards for 2 that noone sees besides you
- Skarrgan Hellkite -> Selvala, Heart of the Wilds or Lotus Cobra - 5 mana for 4/4 flyer that can be 5/5 with overpriced activated ability is bad... you'll be better off with one of these dorks for 2-3 CMC.
- Crucible of Fire -> Nature's Claim - lowers the avg. CMC, let's you be more reactive and holding on for interaction on opponents turn is easy to do.
- Spit Flame -> Sarkhan's Triumph - overpriced damage restricted to creatures might be good in Standard but not EDH. Try out tutor instead and thank me later :D
- The Immortal Sun -> Gruul Signet / Rakdos Signet - I know it's an epic card and all but... it's cost is huge, you might actually cast 6 CMC Dragon instead of this and to actually get there you can run early ramp so 1-2 turns earlier flying behemoth will be way more dangerous.
- Hellkite Overlord / Darigaaz Reincarnated -> Worldly Tutor - with tutor in deck you need actually 1 of these two if you still want to have a huge Dragon. Also this is great way to get utility dragons like Glorybringer or Dragonlord Kolaghan when you need them most.
- Temple of the False God -> Rocky Tar Pit / Mountain Valley / Evolving Wilds - this land is bad... if you have 1 land and this, then you still only have 1 land since it won't activate early. Ancient Tomb is great because it can work turn 1 for some rocks but this... requires board full of lands and one Armageddon makes it useless again.
If you want to know more about getting better at EDH I'd recommend checking out CMDR Central and EDHRec podcasts on youtube - https://articles.edhrec.com/commander-central-ep75-settling-for-less/. Also EDHRec page has great articles posted daily, one of them is about Evolving Wilds: https://articles.edhrec.com/in-the-margins-evolving-wilds-terramorphic-expanse/
1 month ago
Also, was thinking about Sight of the Scalelords . Expensive at 5 cmc, but vigilance and +2/+2 for almost of my attacking creatures would be nice, wouldn't it?
1 month ago
So it looks good, however, it looks like you are kinda low on any win conditions. You should really take out some of the creatures that aren't helpful in relation to your walls/Defenders. For example, Riddlemaster Sphinx does not really serve much purpose in your deck especially because it has such a high mana cost. I would recommend adding cards like Assault Formation , High Alert , and Sight of the Scalelords . You should also change out the Planeswalker for Ajani, the Greathearted as he will add Vigilance to your walls
3 months ago
High Alert is a redundant new addition to this deck to allow you to have more redundancy.
Also Sight of the Scalelords is pretty good. It doesn't combo well with Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive , but it does give most of your team vigilance. I would imagine that blocking isn't really the issue for you since you will likely have more creatures in play than most other players so this might be better than Brave the Sands . Other cards for vigilance Always Watching and Loyal Unicorn
4 months ago
I always find that my Thantis, the Warweaver deck ran into issue of not being able to play defense and my creature getting killed in combat so I did a few things to fix that. I like all the walls as a way to keep you from attacking but when you do have to attack there are a few cards that help you survive. Akroma's Memorial is amazing. Bow of Nylea usually means they don't get blocked by the bigger creatures. Dolmen Gate and Stonehoof Chieftain make them survive combat anyway. Sight of the Scalelords may also work to make your creatures stay back on defense.
I know you want to get attacked so you can play "traps" to stay on flavor so Nemesis Trap , Slingbow Trap , and Stone Idol Trap seem to fit. You may also think about Baloth Cage Trap , Cobra Trap and Needlebite Trap .
4 months ago
hkhssweiss, you are totally correct about Circuitous Route . I was planning to throw in guildgates in it, but that will be a massive tempo loss, so I took them out and forgot about circuitous route. Took it out for Draining Whelk (though I feel like Perplexing Chimera might be simply better since it makes opponent think twice before casting anything), and took out Sight of the Scalelords in favor of Reins of Power .
4 months ago
I decided to go creature counterspell path for now, since they can be surprise blockers as well, need they be. I removed Bane of Progress , since I use a lot of enchantments, and he will hurt me too much, and Pattern of Rebirth . Maybe I need to remove Evolutionary Leap as well, not really sure. Added Mystic Snake , Frilled Mystic , Deadeye Navigator and now I need to remove 2 more to fit in Draining Whelk and Perplexing Chimera . Maybe I should switch Sight of the Scalelords with Reins of Power ?
4 months ago
You have a good point. I might need to run a counterspell package, after all.
So far I plan following:
To be removed:
To be added:
- Wolfir Silverheart - 8/8 that is likely to make another very strong creature, maybe even Surrak, +4/+4. Just found out about this awesome dude.0
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir - Flash for days, just like Yeva, Nature's Herald , but not only greens. Also, no more counterspells and attack responces.
- Oran-Rief, the Vastwood / Kessig Wolf Run - Pump lands to replace Temple
- Sight of the Scalelords - Buff and Vigilance Enchantment
- Wash Out - Single player (most of the times) boarwipe. Especially good agains token decks since those don't bounce. I also have River's Rebuke , which is tiny cyclonic rift.
What do you think? I definetely need to clear some space, but right now I am not sure what to remove. So this is what I have: Counterspells:Mystic Snake or Frilled Mystic would be better? Boardwipes:
- Scourge of Kher Ridges
- Nightshade Peddler to pair with Harbinger of the Hunt though inconsistent (2-card combo without tutoring), can be devastating
- Volcanic Fallout
- Temur Sabertooth - Good boardwipe protection, but costly.
- Paleoloth will bring stuff back if they die.
- Impervious Greatwurm - 16/16 indestructible with convoke only for 10.
- Soul of New Phyrexia - Indestruct for all.
- Reins of Power - I actually like the idea of bamboozling the opponent.
I don't run tutors not because they are expensive (Though Wordly Tutor, Gamble and Mystic Tutor are fairly affordable as an upgrade), I don't want to make deck too (uhh) strong. I made Lavinia, Azorius Renegade deck which revolves around getting Knowledge Pool out, and if I draw one of the artifact tutors and have anti-counter in hand, I win, it's only a matter of time. Which is nice to spook new players, but not that great when I play N'th game with same people.
Sight of the Scalelords occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%